Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
People may recall I've pondered cobblers/crisps/goopy fruit with cake/pastry/biscuit/whatever from time to time. My wife has called for more and more fruit. It appears that she wants something like triple the fruit of a normal recipe. I just did a few iterations on Chef John's peachy crispier-than-crisp cobbler:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/06/crisp-peach-cobbler-crispier-than-crisp.html

One pounds of frozen peaches was a no-go. Two pounds of frozen peaches was also not enough. Three pounds is what it took. In order to fit it all, I had to precook them. To keep some texture variation, I would microwave a pound in a bowl for some time, add the next pound, cook some more, add the final pound, and cook some more.

A good balance for all the extra fruit was adding to it:
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c arrowroot flour
1/4 c corn starch

I don't know if I needed all that, but it formed gummy gel fruit snot drips down the side, which is about the sign of what I think I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Instead of using 3x the fruit, have you considered making 1/3 of the topping

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

Or getting 1/3 of the wife?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

therattle posted:

Or getting 1/3 of the wife?

Make this suggestion to her and end up with 1/2 of the assets!

I need to make that cobbler recipe- we have a bunch of frozen nectarine because the grocery store included someone else’s bag of 8 fruits in our delivery order.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Anne Whateley posted:

The fruit cooks down quite a bit. If I went the other way, then I'm not sure even I even have a pan to use for it. Maybe a loaf pan. I also still have to deal with some thickener that isn't in the original steps due to throwing the cake:fruit ratio out-of-whack.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're using more fruit but then cooking it down further does that satisfy your wife's desire for more fruit?

Maybe you need to make some wacky tall pie

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Fall Dog posted:

Not sure of the dimensions of the warming drawer, but could you also use it for proofing dough if you're into baking?

Agreed that warm plates are a game changer for meal times. It really makes a noticeable difference when your food is still warm as you're finishing eating. I just use the microwave for a minute or two to heat my dishes up, but I'll also give a quick rinse if I'm heating multiple dishes to speed things along.

I do the same thing with coffee mugs.

in a similar vein, it might be useful for some fermentations

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
not so much about cooking, but just about food in general

does anyone else love siggis skyr?

i loving love siggis, my partner hates the smell and taste but i think it's one of the most delicious things ive ever had. am i going insane goons, or is this a sign of great taste?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I do like it. I've stolen its precious cooties to make my own home (Instant pot) yogurt, and it turned out great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mystes posted:

If you're using more fruit but then cooking it down further does that satisfy your wife's desire for more fruit?

Maybe you need to make some wacky tall pie

Yeah it satisfies the rule. It's getting cooked down but that is also condensing it a lot.

<awkward laught> Funny thing about pies: we use deep 10-inch pans so the pastry/filling ratio is already a lot higher. She hates shallow 9-inch pies. We can't really eat pies that size ourselves and I wish deep 8-inch pans were a thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah it satisfies the rule. It's getting cooked down but that is also condensing it a lot.

<awkward laught> Funny thing about pies: we use deep 10-inch pans so the pastry/filling ratio is already a lot higher. She hates shallow 9-inch pies. We can't really eat pies that size ourselves and I wish deep 8-inch pans were a thing.
maybe try something like this: https://food52.com/blog/13342-if-you-love-pie-crust-you-must-try-deep-dish-pie or do a hot water crust like traditional british meat pies or something

if you actually make a ridiculously tall pie post pictures

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Arkhamina posted:

I do like it. I've stolen its precious cooties to make my own home (Instant pot) yogurt, and it turned out great.

homebrew siggis... just like he would've wanted. that seems like a great idea, i need an instant pot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is it the bacteria that's different? Edit: google says it's strained more than greek yogurt?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Tell us more…it’s the only yogurt my beloved will enjoy and I am here for ferments.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They are. My grandmother made all of her fruit pies in 9x13 pyrex casseroles. Takes more crust than a normal pie, but you definitely get a heavier fruit to casing ratio, plus you get at least 4 interior pieces with only a top and bottom crust.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

bloody ghost titty posted:

Tell us more…it’s the only yogurt my beloved will enjoy and I am here for ferments.

If you have an instant pot, it's just standard yogurt making - the difference is the bouquet of live cultures. I use whole milk, and go the full ten hours set up. I have a large strainer, and pour the product into that, after lining it with paper coffee filters. I put it in overnight, and the resulting yogurt curd is thick enough you can cut it with a knife. I'll document it the next time I make it. About to travel for a couple weeks, so not the time to make a bunch of perishable stuff.
Generally I save some whey, and immersion blend it back to a more manageable thickness, along with honey or maple syrup. I like it mildly sweet. I like to add vanilla, chopped up apple and pie spice, or jam (the inevitable jam that refuses to set is great).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mystes posted:

maybe try something like this: https://food52.com/blog/13342-if-you-love-pie-crust-you-must-try-deep-dish-pie or do a hot water crust like traditional british meat pies or something

if you actually make a ridiculously tall pie post pictures
I do quiche in a springform but I've never done a sweet/dessert pie that way.

I'd caution that this is *substantially* more fiddly than using a pie or tart tin, both because there's a sharper edge in the bottom (making forming trickier) and the vertical sides really like to slump during blind baking. Neither of these are insurmountable or anything like that, but I've gotten in the habit of making extra dough to have some on hand for spackling over any cracks/slumps/defects that show up during the blind bake, which I've never had to do when making a straight pâte brisée.

It's absolutely worth the effort with quiche, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just want to see a ridiculously tall pie

Hauki
May 11, 2010

trizzNPH posted:

not so much about cooking, but just about food in general

does anyone else love siggis skyr?

i loving love siggis, my partner hates the smell and taste but i think it's one of the most delicious things ive ever had. am i going insane goons, or is this a sign of great taste?

I like it, but I’m pissed off because all the stores here went from carrying the 24oz tub for $6-7 to only stocking the 4oz cups for like $2.50 each and invariably a bunch of them have split or caved in tinfoil tops. The three groceries close to me that carry it will regularly not have any in the cooler that are still sealed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They seem to be a thing from googling, but check out these: >7” and deep
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/ruffled-individual-pie-dish/s522000

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

I just want to see a ridiculously tall pie

I remember seeing this billboard driving out to New Mexico

I was always tempted, but I also didn't want to delay.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That's a tall pie

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do they just stand it on its side or is it like legit?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

VelociBacon posted:

Do they just stand it on its side or is it like legit?

Looking pictures up online, it looks quite tasty but most of the height is meringue.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cassius Belli posted:

Looking pictures up online, it looks quite tasty but most of the height is meringue.

That was going to be my guess, that or whipped
cream

Arkhamina posted:

If you have an instant pot, it's just standard yogurt making - the difference is the bouquet of live cultures. I use whole milk, and go the full ten hours set up. I have a large strainer, and pour the product into that, after lining it with paper coffee filters. I put it in overnight, and the resulting yogurt curd is thick enough you can cut it with a knife. I'll document it the next time I make it. About to travel for a couple weeks, so not the time to make a bunch of perishable stuff.
Generally I save some whey, and immersion blend it back to a more manageable thickness, along with honey or maple syrup. I like it mildly sweet. I like to add vanilla, chopped up apple and pie spice, or jam (the inevitable jam that refuses to set is great).

I would love to get your process. It’s something I’d like to try.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PokeJoe posted:

That's a tall pie

Is it? My foot's at floor level, and only a couple inches high

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone got tips, tricks, recipes for pickling they want to share? I've never pickled anything which seems crazy cause I loved pickled anything.

Just did a batch of quick pickled baby carrots. Now just gotta wait a few days. :getin:

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone got tips, tricks, recipes for pickling they want to share? I've never pickled anything which seems crazy cause I loved pickled anything.

Just did a batch of quick pickled baby carrots. Now just gotta wait a few days. :getin:

the easiest, and best, way to pickle:
- 1:1 ratio of acv to water, brought to a boil together before being poured over your stuff
- half a teaspoon noniodised salt per 2 cups of liquid
- pinch of salt to cover the bottom of your jar
- mustard seeds, peppercorns, and crushed garlic (2-10 cloves depending on how you're feeling)
leave in fridge for maybe two days

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

- 1:1 ratio of acv to water, brought to a boil together before being poured over your stuff
- mustard seeds, peppercorns, and crushed garlic (2-10 cloves depending on how you're feeling)

I do something similar to quick pickle cucumbers but add a decent amount of sugar too. Delicious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Sweet. This is exactly what I did except the recipe I found called for more salt (probably a bit too much imo) and a bit of sugar.

I put the carrots in there with sliced garlic and ginger, and made 3 jars. 1 with Rosemary, one with dill and a third with, parsely (possibly weird but I had some in the fridge that was starting to get old. Gonna see what tastes the best in a couple days.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

veni veni veni posted:

Sweet. This is exactly what I did except the recipe I found called for more salt (probably a bit too much imo) and a bit of sugar.

I put the carrots in there with sliced garlic and ginger, and made 3 jars. 1 with Rosemary, one with dill and a third with, parsely (possibly weird but I had some in the fridge that was starting to get old. Gonna see what tastes the best in a couple days.

sumac also totally fucks in this particular brine if you like sour fruity flavours

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. I'll try it out.

Silly question, but every recipe says to boil the water/vinegar mix. Is this just to make sure the brine is mixed properly, or does the low key cook from pouring boiling water onto raw veggies affect part of the process?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Nice. I'll try it out.

Silly question, but every recipe says to boil the water/vinegar mix. Is this just to make sure the brine is mixed properly, or does the low key cook from pouring boiling water onto raw veggies affect part of the process?

I always assumed the part-cooking was a part of it. It probably also helps to sterilise h the veg

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I always thought it was so the flavors of your addons (mustard seeds et al) get to steep and infuse

e: and to dissolve all the salt, since hot water can hold more in suspension than cold water

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Brawnfire posted:

Is it? My foot's at floor level, and only a couple inches high

:|

Thanks, dad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/thewapplehouse/status/1702120118623297692?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What the gently caress

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Who serves half a waffle!?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Who serves half a waffle!?
The people who decide serving sizes on nutritional information, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I can't personally conscience chicken and waffles with un-fried chicken, but the Pennsylvania Dutch version (chicken stew and gravy over waffles) is probably at least two centuries older than the Southern and soul food versions.