Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The announcers really were in love with Young, really wanting to make him the next stud. He looked meh. Didn't have a completion over 14 yards. He threw deep 2-3 times but was only kinda close once, which the announcers blamed Terrace Marshall for slowing down on. Marshall wasn't good and Young liked trying to pass to him. Young's accuracy predictably got bad once Atlanta dialed up the pressure.

Still can't fully tell on Ridder. Once the line actually functioned, he hit his targets Better 2nd half than the 1st. Drake London had no catches, Kyle Pitts only had one chance to do anything. Lot of passes to his running backs, who are going to get killed because, as good as Bijan Robinson is, it's not a mismatch on speed like he had in college.

Mack Hollins had a good game. Will be interesting to see how Cordarrelle Patterson fits in once he comes back.

Defense actually looked legit, but similarly it's hard to tell how much was the Panthers making GBS threads the bed vs. actual improvement. Lorenzo Carter did some good things and Jessie Battes was out of this world.

First 1-0 start by Atlanta in six years. If they can hang with Green Bay next week, I'll believe they're actually decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Big Jesus posted:

I had a dream last night that the falcons poo poo stomped the panthers. Or was it a premonition?

Update: it was a premonition.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I still think you can wait like 4 weeks before throwing the bryce out with the bath water.

His deep threat and number one target all offseason didn't play, Marshall and thielen have been in and out of practice for the last two weeks and neither firmed to start until Friday.

I think even with the two INTs the passes I did see from Bryce he was at least moving well in the pocket, he was going through progressions and he was for the most part putting the ball in the right spots.

This just looked very much to me like a team with some teething problems, no bonafide number one receiver and a rookie under centre.

Patience isn't exactly a virtue in the NFL I get it but I think this is a team that's going to take some time coming together offensively.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

BlindSite posted:

I still think you can wait like 4 weeks before throwing the bryce out with the bath water.

His deep threat and number one target all offseason didn't play, Marshall and thielen have been in and out of practice for the last two weeks and neither firmed to start until Friday.

I think even with the two INTs the passes I did see from Bryce he was at least moving well in the pocket, he was going through progressions and he was for the most part putting the ball in the right spots.

This just looked very much to me like a team with some teething problems, no bonafide number one receiver and a rookie under centre.

Patience isn't exactly a virtue in the NFL I get it but I think this is a team that's going to take some time coming together offensively.

cam threw for like 450 yards in his rookie debut and now I expect nothing less from all rookie QBs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

cam threw for like 450 yards in his rookie debut and now I expect nothing less from all rookie QBs

bring back chud

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

I know the point you’re making but cam went though like an 8 game stretch that season where he was pretty lovely.

I didn’t understand the reliance of back shoulder fades to a wr that hadn’t practiced in three weeks. He was delivering the ball to a spot, it just didn’t look like him and Marshall were running the same play.

The deep ball to Mingo was a touchdown if he just put a little more under it. Maybe that was charks route or maybe he was just terrified of getting picked again. Mingo certainly looks the part at least.

They had no verticality in the offense, not even to keep the defense honest. Those are easy routes for young qbs. Especially when the safeties started coming in so aggressively.

They’re going to have to take some deep shots next week if nothing else to make the defense sit back. Marshall and Mingo are both huge dudes; just let them square up and go get the ball.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 11, 2023

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

“Taysom Hill might be the best player ever”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

And then just like last year Shenault needs more touches.

He’s the Luvu of the offense. He just makes plays with the ball.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Cousins was carving us up in the first but they adjusted in the second half nicely.

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1701230935641833915?s=20

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Ripperljohn posted:

In a pure football sense, naturally.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ripperljohn posted:

Yesterday's announcers were a bit weird. I still prefer Fox to CBS FOR FOOTBALL ONLY (make sure I make that clear).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Yesterday's announcers were a bit weird. I still prefer Fox to CBS FOR FOOTBALL ONLY (make sure I make that clear).

The color dude was, like, too smart for TV. He was getting in deep on like "here's what I've been saying about these D-line stunts ..." and my dude I do not care. The right tackle has a weakness against a power rush that you've studied since he was in college? Good for you I just watch football and go "My team should throw better. They should tackle that guy faster."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

The color dude was, like, too smart for TV. He was getting in deep on like "here's what I've been saying about these D-line stunts ..." and my dude I do not care. The right tackle has a weakness against a power rush that you've studied since he was in college? Good for you I just watch football and go "My team should throw better. They should tackle that guy faster."

Beavis and Butthead do football: "That guy sucks. That guy sucks. Whoa, that guy's cool"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Beavis and Butthead do football: "That guy sucks. That guy sucks. Whoa, that guy's cool"

Hell yeah

I am a dumb motherfucker; I just want the replay guy to be like "check out this corner get smoked on this play"

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 11, 2023

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I wasn't able to watch any of the game yesterday, so I'm curious about y'all's thoughts on Bryce Young. Judging from social media, etc., Panthers fans either think he looked pretty good with a couple unfortunate rookie mistakes or was an absolute dogshit pick at No. 1 and we're hosed. It's entirely too early to judge, of course, but I'm looking for the goon takes.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
GODwin

https://twitter.com/JennaLaineESPN/status/1701261789433098699?s=20

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

RumbleFish posted:

I wasn't able to watch any of the game yesterday, so I'm curious about y'all's thoughts on Bryce Young. Judging from social media, etc., Panthers fans either think he looked pretty good with a couple unfortunate rookie mistakes or was an absolute dogshit pick at No. 1 and we're hosed. It's entirely too early to judge, of course, but I'm looking for the goon takes.

Anyone saying it's a dogshit pick after one game is a moron, but he had a definitely had a rough day yesterday. Both the picks were completely on him and not the result of something like bad luck or crazy pressure, and he had a ton of throwaways too.

I'm curious to see what Atlanta's defense looks like against other competition too.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1700925663799398789

Please continue to stunt, Bijan.

Henron fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 11, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Oh yeah!

https://twitter.com/tori_mcelhaney/status/1701297728209232186?s=20

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

NFC South has the best alts/throwbacks

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lmao love me some Winfield Jr.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1701288524752818577?s=20

Edit: WTF

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1701323775797821480?s=20

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the worst thing about the bucs on sunday was bowles' terribly ill-fitting shirt

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

the worst thing about the bucs on sunday was bowles' terribly ill-fitting shirt

That's him every day. His shirt is always like 2 sizes too large.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

panthers rookie rg zavala looks legit

https://twitter.com/BrandonThornNFL/status/1701355133081108855?s=20

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

It'll be a nice problem to have if he's good and Corbett comes back healthy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

Like I said earlier he looked like a rookie begging for a number one receiver. Lots of simply not being on the same page with the guys who hadn't practiced the last few weeks.

The main takeaways I had though were he looks off coverage, moves through progressions seamlessly and can deliver a ball on time and on target.

We're going to get growing pains because everything and everyone is fairly new. Hurst, Sanders, young, thielen, mingo are all new to Carolina.

Like fiz eluded to, there's some schemes and play design that can be better but I don't have any qualms about Youngs ability to execute, just about gameplan and skill position personnel.

The last 8 games will show if he and everyone else can remain healthy but im not worried at all at this point about Bryce Youngs ability to play QB.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I can't believe the Bears took DJ Moore just to waste him in whatever that offense is supposed to be.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

wandler20 posted:

I can't believe the Bears took DJ Moore just to waste him in whatever that offense is supposed to be.

Hopefully for his sake things will improve, because he was great in the poo poo offenses Carolina was running and if he can't do it in Chicago... yikes.

Maybe he'll be willing to come back

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
https://twitter.com/DuncOnDemand/status/1701278505286176774?t=henqSXwc7mOLqWDE-MgLsw&s=19

The WRs are bad and should feel bad.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Good to see Wirfs transition to LT is going well.

https://twitter.com/BrandonThornNFL/status/1701431741230047289?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
drat Mike Williams passed this morning (for real this time). I was hoping he’d make it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
RIP Mike.

https://twitter.com/Rhettakus/status/1701631226262499822?s=20

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Absolutely shocking news here:

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1701615196211446213?s=20

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Zavala always felt to me like a guy that was pretty good at everything but overlooked because he wasn't the best at anything. Getting him in the fourth was an absolute steal in my opinion.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

*sighs*

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ah, the gold stripe to appease Georgia Tech, back when Tech was relevant.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I remember Payton trying to trade the farm to get him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That first round has a lot of players who are really struggling to make a career.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1701640564591013949?s=20

I love it when a plan comes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Ah, the gold stripe to appease Georgia Tech, back when Tech was relevant.

gently caress you eat poo poo go jackets