Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

I ended up street skating for like 7 hours today after getting jealous of the hardwood posting

God it was good. It makes me look at concrete with disdain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
For the first time in 5 years I’m actually cleaning the suede on my lollys

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I clean my boot liners on the inline skates every few months of use in the summer and the water that comes off that first rinse is not fun to think about

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Mauser posted:

I clean my boot liners on the inline skates every few months of use in the summer and the water that comes off that first rinse is not fun to think about

I just spray some foot stuff in them after use and never,ever, think about the state the liners might actually be in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

My liners are very clean right now because the foam was falling apart and I had to buy replacement liners; I think I had only washed the old liners like twice

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Can y’all educate this quad girl, why do inlines need liners

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

It really makes the eyes pop

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

I guess with a high hardshell boot you need some sort of liner (although some skates have integral liners) because otherwise you would be pressing against hard plastic? Speed skates don't have liners. Maybe inline skates that are more like hockey skates and just lace up don't need them either? I've never used that type

Since quad skates are more like shoes I guess you just lace them up tightly but they aren't as rigid, so I guess the fundamental difference is that once the shell is rigid (and possibly goes up higher), it won't mold to your foot so you need to add a liner which will conform to your foot?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess with a high hardshell boot you need some sort of liner (although some skates have integral liners) because otherwise you would be pressing against hard plastic? Speed skates don't have liners. Maybe inline skates that are more like hockey skates and just lace up don't need them either? I've never used that type

Since quad skates are more like shoes I guess you just lace them up tightly but they aren't as rigid. Once the shell is rigid, it won't mold to your foot so you need to add a liner which will conform to your foot?

So it’s just those plasticy ski boot types of skates that use the liners

And yeah on quads you usually just wear wool socks

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Apart from speed skates which don't have cuffs, non-hockey inlines (those are laced, or the ones I've seen are anyway) have a top buckle that's either closing a full hard shell round the liner then your ankle or an outer plastic structure that wraps round a soft boot. If you don't have that then it'd be too loose around the ankle to give support. I guess you don't really need that support depending on what you're doing e.g. speed skates don't have it, but then you're not gonna do some types of skating in speed skates.

With a hard boot you need a liner to get the fit between the shell and your foot/ankle otherwise you'd get zero support as your foot would move around and you'd chafe to death against the plastic. With a soft boot the liner is the boot but you get less rigidity as a result which is why you see newbies on cheap soft boot skates pronating all over the place. And then there's the occasional lunatic on Doops....

E: carbon fiber boots are different again I think

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Apart from speed skates which don't have cuffs, non-hockey inlines (those are laced, or the ones I've seen are anyway) have a top buckle that's either closing a full hard shell round the liner then your ankle or an outer plastic structure that wraps round a soft boot. If you don't have that then it'd be too loose around the ankle to give support. I guess you don't really need that support depending on what you're doing e.g. speed skates don't have it, but then you're not gonna do some types of skating in speed skates.

With a hard boot you need a liner to get the fit between the shell and your foot/ankle otherwise you'd get zero support as your foot would move around and you'd chafe to death against the plastic. With a soft boot the liner is the boot but you get less rigidity as a result which is why you see newbies on cheap soft boot skates pronating all over the place. And then there's the occasional lunatic on Doops....

E: carbon fiber boots are different again I think
I think a lot of the carbon fiber boots that are normal recreational skates and not speed skates are basically the same and do have liners but maybe they're just integral liners for whatever reason? Even if you can heat mold the boots, I think with higher hardshell boots it would be pretty much impossible to get a good enough fit to not need a liner at all

re doops: I know that in reality they're are dumb and don't solve any actual problems but I keep kind of being tempted to try to buy a pair if I can get one cheap off of ebay. (I guess they really just eliminate the need to carry separate shoes but if you're going to be taking the skates off then you have to carry the skates which are even bulkier so I guess what I would really want is just inline skates that are faster to put on/take off and I could just bring slipon shoes or something. By reputation doops have so little ankle support that if I really needed to switch between shoes and skates quickly maybe I would literally be better off just getting the k2 softshell skates that use the boa system or something.)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

I think a lot of the carbon fiber boots that are normal recreational skates and not speed skates are basically the same and do have liners but maybe they're just integral liners for whatever reason? Even if you can heat mold the boots, I think with higher hardshell boots it would be pretty much impossible to get a good enough fit to not need a liner at all

re doops: I know that in reality they're are dumb and don't solve any actual problems but I keep kind of being tempted to try to buy a pair if I can get one cheap off of ebay. (I guess they really just eliminate the need to carry separate shoes but if you're going to be taking the skates off then you have to carry the skates which are even bulkier so I guess what I would really want is just inline skates that are faster to put on/take off and I could just bring slipon shoes or something. By reputation doops have so little ankle support that if I really needed to switch between shoes and skates quickly maybe I would literally be better off just getting the k2 softshell skates that use the boa system or something.)

I've seen a guy do one of the London group skates on Doops but yes, they look *incredibly* bad for support and not actually any smaller than taking a normal pair of skates.

The idiot purchase I kind of want to try is the pneumatic off-road wheels/frames but I cannot see how those are not just incredibly tiring to use.

K2 boas suck, my first ever pair were those.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Actually I just remembered that PowerSlide Kaze skates are a weird hard/soft hybrid where the boot doesn't have a liner so it's like a soft boot, but they're more solid somehow and don't need a separate cuff so not all squishy like a classic soft boot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you would have to live near somewhere with exactly the perfect conditions for the offroad skates to actually make sense (like easy mountain bike trails that are entirely downhill with a perfectly smooth surface)

I'm not that interested in nordic inline skates but I suspect they would be more practical if you wanted to go on a flat dirt path

Actually I just remembered that PowerSlide Kaze skates are a weird hard/soft hybrid where the boot doesn't have a liner so it's like a soft boot, but they're more solid somehow and don't need a separate cuff so not all squishy like a classic soft boot.
I think powerslide makes a lot of weird hybrid configurations. It's probably easier to do that if the liner is integrated, which is something they do on a lot of their skates. I'm not totally sure why because it seems like it would be more expensive to produce and a lot of their skates don't seem to have a very good reputation so I'm not sure what they're getting out of doing it that way.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 12, 2023

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

I’ve had a couple of Rollerblades that sound like that, more-or-less constructed like a speed boot but with a liner-like padding built in. My current pair even has remove cuffs so I can run them as low boots (if my ankles ever get strong enough)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

I think powerslide makes a lot of weird hybrid configurations. It's probably easier to do that if the liner is integrated, which is something they do on a lot of their skates. I'm not totally sure why because it seems like it would be more expensive to produce and a lot of their skates don't seem to have a very good reputation so I'm not sure what they're getting out of doing it that way.

Yeah my wife actually has the Kaze and though the boots are nice, the quality of the frames is terrible imo. Despite being chunky they have so much flex that you can actually clamp a wheel down if you tighten up a bit too much when fitting the brake.

The brake is also a piece of poo poo that has to be replaced after about 10% of it is worn because the mount grinds on the road if you go past that (and she won't take it off and just shred her wheels like a true skater).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I spent an hour and five dollars of isopropyla alcohol and two dollars of speed cream disassembling cleaning lubing and reassembling my 25 dollar bearings. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense, does it?

Also K2 Boas were my first skate and while I like the boa system the build quality is just overall poor compared to my Rollerblade Twister. Are there soft boot brands that are actually respected? I'd like to eventually replace the K2s with another 84mm/85A ideally a soft boot.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 13, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

No Wave posted:

I spent an hour and five dollars of isopropyla alcohol and two dollars of speed cream disassembling cleaning lubing and reassembling my 25 dollar bearings. It doesnt make a whole lot of sense, does it?
I just use a cheap non-skate-specific lubricant and I use a water-based orange degreaser, rinse in water, and then just rinse in 99% isopropyl that I reuse multiple times to displace the water so I'm not spending a lot of money on lube/isopropyl. I do some stuff to make it faster like permanently leaving the inside seals off but it still does take some time though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

No Wave posted:

Also K2 Boas were my first skate and while I like the boa system the build quality is just overall poor compared to my Rollerblade Twister. Are there soft boot brands that are actually respected? I'd like to eventually replace the K2s with another 84mm/85A ideally a soft boot.

The new Kaze do actually look pretty good boot wise, but see above on the frames unless they've tweaked them (or it's only a problem with a brake because of the way they mount it).

E: I just realised my wife has the Swell not the Kaze but the trinity frame is the same.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 13, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

No Wave posted:

Some people swear by cleaning bearings but drat if that's me. I just drop the cash on a new set kinda-monthly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

No Wave posted:

I think part of the problem is that the soft boot skates that people say are good like the fr sl tend to be ridiculously expensive, because to get enough stiffness while still having a soft boot the parts that are rigid need to be made of carbon fiber or something and the designs are fairly complicated.

I guess they're also kind of a niche product maybe just because people tend to use crappy ill-fitting soft boot skates as their first skates and then decide that soft boots are inherently bad, which probably isn't true.

It does seem like it's a lot easier to get decent hard boot skates for cheaper, though, since basically even the cheapest rollerblade hard boot skates are perfectly fine as long as they fit correctly. I guess the advantage of hard boots is that since the whole shell is plastic, it can just be made of normal plastic and still be relatively rigid.

I don't think I would consider buying fancier soft boot skates unless there was an inline skate store around me where I could actually try them on. I guess considering the places I tend to skate I think I feel more comfortable with a hard shell anyway, too, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 13, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I've always liked the idea of the Seba High Lights which I guess are now superseded by the FR Spin but yeah those are carbon and are targeted at slalom stuff and the expense of them means that scuffing the poo poo out of them by wiping out on a street skate is probably not a good use of funds.

E: that said the FR 80/90 with intuition liners is so incredibly expensive you might as well go carbon.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

No Wave posted:

A $25 bottle of acetone (fuckoff huge)
An $8 bottle of speed cream
Two sets of $25 bearings
8-16 cleanings

6 months - 1 year of skating (1300-2600 miles low ball estimate)

It doesnt take an hour now that I am used to it (more like 20 min) and it doesnt mean saying bye to my bearings or not skating when it rains.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ty for all the feedback. FR spin looks like exactly the kind of model I'd be interested in but will have to do some research.

I have a whole lot more isopropyl to get through so we'll see how good my bearing cleaning time gets.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 13, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I actually like my skates tight around the ankles (I replaced the top buckle on one of my pairs of FRs with a ratchet) so the Spin would probably be perfect for me as I guess the slalom/trick targeting makes them tighter to get the response? I've never done that stuff so don't really know.

After a fun incident where one of my frame bolts came loose on a street skate and the front shifted out of line I redid them and this time baked in an angle to try and align with where I actually put pressure and wow is that weird. I'd be interested if anyone else does this or if I'm just setting myself up for an ankle injury.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I run with a little toe-in if that’s what you mean?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

I run with a little toe-in if that’s what you mean?

Yeah I guess that's the proper term. Though it's more like a heel out in my case I guess?

Also I really need to wash those laces or stop using white ones for style points.

Also sort those wheels out because idk what is going on but I think I somehow I made them worse when I last rotated.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Literally A Person posted:

Never take your skate bag to the bar. After a couple beers this seems like a good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdRRPtSYg5o

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This blue loctite stuff seems kind of mandatory for some models. My stupid K2s lost TWO wheels after fifteen minutes of skating after I cleaned the screws. Didn't even know thats what the blue stuff was until now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

No Wave posted:

This blue loctite stuff seems kind of mandatory for some models. My stupid K2s lost TWO wheels after fifteen minutes of skating after I cleaned the screws. Didn't even know thats what the blue stuff was until now.
How did you manage to lose wheels without noticing the axles were lose first? I've never managed to lose a wheel because the wheels start clacking distinctively when the axles are loose

I use loctite on my frames but I don't use it on axles because I don't want to deal with it every time I rotate my wheels. I do always carry a tool when I skate in case I need to tighten the wheels though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mystes posted:

How did you manage to lose wheels without noticing the axles were lose first? I've never managed to lose a wheel because the wheels start clacking distinctively when the axles are loose

I use loctite on my frames but I don't use it on axles because I don't want to deal with it every time I rotate my wheels. I do always carry a tool when I skate in case I need to tighten the wheels though.
I was going over a very long bridge so it was a huge downhill, I'd been t-braking for a few minutes at that point. I'd just tightened them recently too idk. K2s come with loctite on their screws when new even though I didn't get that's why the tips were blue at first.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 17, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah it doesn't make them any harder to undo generally, you still have to put a lot of force in to get the "crack" when it unbinds but it doesn't actually make it impossible

That said I had to get a full on ratchet out to undo mine because those t shaped skate tools are garbage for that and I had tightened them up so much. But I've never lost a wheel (I lost a cuff bolt though).

Anyway, I spent 30 minutes making myself dizzy trying to do stops on the small patio we have and I *still* can't reliably do a hockey stop it's infuriating. It's a small space so you can't get much speed up but still, i can sometimes get my right skate into enough of a slide to do it but most of the time I just end up in a turn.

I don't even know why I'm trying to do this because the actual utility of it as a stop is so low, I should learn to actually do transitions and do a powerslide

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah it doesn't make them any harder to undo generally, you still have to put a lot of force in to get the "crack" when it unbinds but it doesn't actually make it impossible

That said I had to get a full on ratchet out to undo mine because those t shaped skate tools are garbage for that and I had tightened them up so much. But I've never lost a wheel (I lost a cuff bolt though).

Nothing better than when you get the crack and the burning smell from whatever it was vaporizing

I bought a 4mm wrex Allen key to take with me on skates since, yeah, the free t-tools you get suck

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Went to the skatepark yesterday and saw 3 guys in inlines, which is funny because ive never seen any other than me and a friend, so it was cool to finally see some real skaters. And yes they were all very good, much better than me (ramps are scary)

Hoping i can get some proper aggressive ones for christmas.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Out of interest has anyone got/tried the Intuition liners? They're *insanely* expensive to the point that it's actually more sensible to buy an entire new pair of skates that come with them, but I might do that anyway as a "justification".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Out of interest has anyone got/tried the Intuition liners? They're *insanely* expensive to the point that it's actually more sensible to buy an entire new pair of skates that come with them, but I might do that anyway as a "justification".
My impression is that you would need to buy new skates anyway because if your current skates fit with their existing liners they'll be too big with the intuition liners, so honestly the whole idea of trying to buy the liners separately and working it so they'll fit sounds like a bad idea

So buying new skates that already come with them would probably be cheaper but at that point you'll probably also want to compare with other higher end skates that have carbon fiber shells and thinner liners, etc. rather than necessarily focusing only on the intuition liners

Personally some day I would like to look at fancier skates but probably only if I'm somewhere where I can try them on. Theoretically I'm sure that thinner liners have better power transfer or whatever but i suspect having the skates fit well is more important than that and I don't want to blow $500+ on skates that end up not fitting perfectly

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 24, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I like some of the carbon boots (see previous posts) but I guess I'm worried I'd wipe out and smash them up, whereas replacing shells is pretty cheap.

idk, will see what I get paid at the end of the year I guess

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've been using Intuitions for around 18 months now for aggressive skating. While I don't swear by them like some people do, the main actually useful difference I notice is that I can skate for much, much longer in them without getting cramps and blisters like I did in the same skates with stock liners.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I’ve been sick the last week and it’s got me thinking to do something silly and get a pair of inline for street use. In a few months, when I can swing the money.

1. What questions should i be asking and answering?
2. Recommendations for a price-conscious heavy user?
3. How cheap can i reasonably go considering i do have transferable skills?
4. Recommended youtube creators, particularly of marginalized identities?
5. Is there anything decent as a shoe as well like flanneurz are for quads?

How I typically roll on quads:
I typically ride Moxi Lolly size 9 boot laced to the eyelets (not up the ankle hooks). Sometimes I ride some vinyl and padded moonlight also size 9 with the same lacing,
Nylon plates.
My preferred wheels are 78A 65x36mm.
I’m comfortable without stoppers, i get them caught on objects like bottle caps and it traps my ankle. That being said I’ve been riding with stoppers for practice the last about 200 mi.
I skate avg 50mi a week and would like to be able to do the same if not more on inline.
I do skate on roads with potholes, train tracks, and uneven asphalt.
I ride another 15-30mi fixed gear bike a week.

My one knee kinda sucks
I often have 20-30lbs of stuff on my back.
I wear protective gear and skate down to about 20 degrees F (-5 C).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would suggest not getting the absolute cheapest skates possible skates but imo the cheaper hard boot skates like the rollerblade rb line or equivalents in other brands are fine. Unfortunately unless you manage to get them as some sort of special sale they're usually at least $175-$200 most of the time. In generally I probably wouldn't recommend getting soft boot skates to start. Fit is really important and with hard boot skates you also want to be sure they aren't pressing on the bones on the side of your ankle or anything.

Most of the popular channels about inline skating seem to be middle aged cis white dudes although I have no idea about their sexual orientation or whatever. (I don't think that necessarily represents the demographics of people actually doing inline skating in general though.). I'm not sure I have specific recommendations about YouTube channels anyway; I've mostly tended to just watch a bunch of different people's videos on whatever thing I wanted videos about.

I don't think there are inline skates that resemble shoes.

80mm is probably the most common size for recreational inline skates in general. For potholes and stuff you might want to go with bigger wheels but a lot of those will be 3x110 or 3x125 frames and I'm not sure I would recommend skates with 3 wheels or 110/125mm wheels (they feel less stable since they put your feet higher up) for your first inline skates. I prefer 4x90mm but it might be harder to find skates that come with that. (Also my foot size is US 11.5 for sneakers so if you have smaller feet 80mm might be similar proportionally).

I'm not sure to what degree your wheel preferences would translate or not since I don't quad skate but I guess inline wheels tend to be harder. Some of the wheels that skates come with can be pretty crappy (it might be better to buy slightly better skates if they're only slightly more expensive just for the better wheels because otherwise you might have to replace them pretty quickly) and will fall apart almost immediately if you aren't using a heel brake. I normally use rollerblade hydrogen wheels which are 85A and I think in general you don't want anything softer than that for outdoor inline skating.

Most inexpensive inline skates will come with a heel brake. I don't know how similar stopping techniques are between quad skates and inline skates but basically once you learn how to do a t stop you can probably take off the heel brake as long as you don't go too fast and are very careful about any sort of downward slopes until you are comfortable with other stopping techniques.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 30, 2023