Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm not gonna lie, most of the noise I can hear regularly when I'm just existing is from heavy trucks, especially the giant BOOM-BOOM as they go over overpass joints.

Trucks are insanely loud, but so are trains going through cities.

there was construction at the school across the street for a while that involved a lot of debris removal and material depositing via dump truck

the dump truck drivers have a technique where they jerk the truck forward and stop so the inertia of the tailgate hanging from the top of the bed claps it against the bottom frame making the entire (mostly empty) bed go CLOWMB at a zillion dB

it was great to be woken up 3 hours early over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Epic High Five posted:

To who? The NHTSA spreadsheets say they aren't more visible to cars, bigger spreadsheet haulers are killing bikers just as increasingly commonly as they are little grannies crossing the road. Statistically speaking, if you want to be safer on a motorcycle you should get an engine with a lower displacement. The bigger and louder a bike is, the more likely it is to be involved in a fatal crash.

You keep equating noise with visibility when I am talking about behavior while interacting with traffic.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Stereotype posted:

I'm not sure how to tell you this but capitalist corporate news catastrophizes everything and agressively misleads and fabricates things in order to generate anger so that you consume their dumb bullshit. you've been duped

I think the LSD might not have worn off yet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKqp8nAIsYE

It’s O.K. that people abandon thousands of bicycles in the desert because the help will pick them up and ship them overseas to orphans. :shobon:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

It’s O.K. that people abandon thousands of bicycles in the desert because the help will pick them up and ship them overseas to orphans. :shobon:

I know counting is hard, but that’s nine bikes, not “thousands”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dang I didn’t know that you were hard of hearing.

Noise pollution dismissal ITT making morse sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UJz2hVCMM

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Sep 12, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

why would you post this footage coming out of Tiananmen Square

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

moop apparently stands for "matter out of place", objects which shouldn't be there and need to be cleaned up which would make the people attending burning man poop

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are at least twelve bikes in the first video, not including the one that the person in the background is holding, because we don’t know if that is their own bike or one picked up on the playa.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Leave No Trace? No, Leave ALL The Trace!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Sunday mornings are great because you have practically no cars on the road. Great time for a bicycle ride around the city.

Cars and motorcycles are for cowards with gross scrawny legs

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The combined net worth of burning man attendees must be pretty high. The least they can do is leave behind a fully operational train station. I mean some of them fly in on private jets. Thurmond, West Virginia has a train station and they have a population of 5 people.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
When it's too hot to ride during the day I ride at night and even though all the street parking is empty there are still cars parked in the bike lane for some reason.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Stereotype posted:

I know counting is hard, but that’s nine bikes, not “thousands”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UJz2hVCMM

Few more than 9.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought that maybe the guy was overestimating or perhaps rounding slightly with “thousands”.

Oh no.

In 2018,

https://www.facebook.com/BlackRockC...97199046978424/ posted:

The numbers are in! We collected and donated 1,805 abandoned bikes this year, which is approximately half the amount we processed last year. All bikes have been donated to charitable organizations that are using these bikes for community-oriented programs. Huge thanks to Burning Man's Comms team, Jack Rabbit Speaks, the many bike camps on playa, and, of course, the Yellow Bike Crew, who all came together to make this a very smooth clean up effort. (Vidoe source: Moon Mandel)

The year before,

https://journal.burningman.org/2017/10/black-rock-city/leaving-no-trace/how-we-solved-the-great-bikeageddon-of-2017/ posted:

This year, 3,754 bikes were abandoned by participants with no regard for the principles of being a Black Rock City citizen. People either dropped the bikes carelessly, or they left them unlocked to be stolen and abandoned. This created tons of work for other Burners just like them, who spent days cleaning them up and getting them hauled off playa. We’re sharing this story of how they pulled it off so Burners can realize the impact of their actions on their fellow participants, plan accordingly, and pack out everything they bring — including bikes.

[…]

A conservative (and astounding) 3,754 bikes were gathered during this process, beginning the evening of Monday (September 4) through the following Monday (September 11). To put this in perspective, the number of abandoned bikes we’ve cleaned up over the past several years has ranged from ~1,400–1,900. This dramatic spike in numbers was unexpected to say the least, and combined with the community fleet clean up effort, >4,500 bikes were gathered and processed in this single week.

[…]

By Monday, September 11, we’d maxed out the capacity of the nonprofits we’ve historically worked with, and still had a staggering number (>1,500) of bikes left on site, all of which needed to be removed by end of day Wednesday, September 13. In the five years I’ve managed this project, we’ve never sent a single usable bike to a scrapper or landfill, which was the final destination for these bikes unless a miracle should occur within 48 hours.

Sure enough, several small miracles occurred. DPW friends activated their networks and reached out to local contacts, resulting in a steady stream of trucks and trailers that arrived on site to help. Bikes were scooped en masse, destined for the Paiute Reservation, local neighborhoods, hurricane disaster relief in Texas and the Caribbean, and communities in Gambia, West Africa, again, to name only a few. By the time the final scrapper came at noon on Wednesday, we had a meager pile of three partial bike frames and four wheels, all of which appeared to have been run over by vehicles and were well beyond the point of repair.

During this madness, I met many amazing individuals who spent personal funds and energy to get keep this staggering resource from the landfill. I was humbled by the participation and immediacy of this communal effort, all in the name of civic responsibility and leaving no trace. It was an impromptu spectacle that seemed to display all of Burning Man’s principles in action.

I’m glad that they were able to pull off a miracle in 2017, but it’s certainly going to take a larger one this year. 2017 didn’t have any of this year’s weather issues.

It’s impressive that fully one in twenty people who attended the event both brought a bike and abandoned it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That is the thing about the US, you have to create these specifically (and honestly costly) designed spaces and events to do something like walk or ride a bike and not feel in danger. It is basically a new age version of Main Street USA but in the desert.

I think there is an innate desire in humans not to want to rely on vehicles to survive, but the US is so screwed up you have to go to theme park or remote inhospitable regions to experience it for brief periods of time.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Platystemon posted:

It’s impressive that fully one in twenty people who attended the event both brought a bike and abandoned it.

could be like a gun thing where one guy brought 800 bikes and abandoned them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Clean them up, give them away to anyone for the asking

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I thought that maybe the guy was overestimating or perhaps rounding slightly with “thousands”.

Oh no.

In 2018,

The year before,

I’m glad that they were able to pull off a miracle in 2017, but it’s certainly going to take a larger one this year. 2017 didn’t have any of this year’s weather issues.

that’s like eleven bikes, seriously not that big a deal. kind of an overreaction when people drive to football games imo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They probably get "donated" to a smelter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dog Case posted:

How do the bikes get to Burning Man

lmbo

Stereotype posted:

People get uniquely bent out of shape about burning man when every sports game in the nation looks like this:

this is stupid too, you're just posting through it.

Ensign Expendable posted:

When it's too hot to ride during the day I ride at night and even though all the street parking is empty there are still cars parked in the bike lane for some reason.
you know what to do

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cyclists only skew male when cycling is low/unsupported. The gender disparity mostly disappears when cycling is popular in an area.
yeah turns out vulnerable groups try to stay safe. what a revelation. and nimby/driving assholes *always* bring up the "hobby exclusive to young privileged men" bullshit, often co-opting inclusive language.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I was also thinking of leaf blowers and lawn mowers when I universally condemned the internal combustion engine
Our building board changed the RFP for all the gardening and landscaping to mandate electric tools and it's made a HUGE difference. You still hear them but it's barely there.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 08:06 on Sep 12, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's this irritating contradiction where businesses try to disperse cyclists from upper class establishments because they think cyclists represent a poor(er) demographic, but when arguing for better cycling infra or safer streets policies, the assertion is that cycling is the domain of the rich who can afford fancy road bikes and lycra

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's this irritating contradiction where businesses try to disperse cyclists from upper class establishments because they think cyclists represent a poor(er) demographic, but when arguing for better cycling infra or safer streets policies, the assertion is that cycling is the domain of the rich who can afford fancy road bikes and lycra

:umberto: thus, by a constant shifting of rhetorical focus, the cyclists are at the same time a symbol of gentrification and a group worthy of marginalization

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Time for some good news from the perfidious Netherlands: the robots are rising up to murder and stop cars

Source (Dutch)

Partial Deepl translation:

quote:

A BMW has been stuck in mechanical car garage for weeks: 'Our patience is running out'

Weeks after a BMW, lift and all, collapsed into the abyss of the automatic car park of residential complex the Hoge Erf, no tow truck has yet come by to remove the car from the shaft. Why is it taking so long? "We are starting to lose our patience."

[...]

On Friday evening, 18 August, a car collapsed through the parking lift in the underground garage of the Rotterdam residential tower. The only way in and out of the parking garage is via the collapsed lift. Some 32 parked cars belonging to residents cannot get out. Almost a month later, there is still much uncertainty.

While the owners association of the apartment complex in Rotterdam-Delfshaven keeps its jaws tightly shut, some residents cannot keep their frustration to themselves. "This is going to take at least another year," says one resident, on her way to the tram stop. "They say at the association that they are working on it, but we hear nothing."

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Oh no.

what in the actual gently caress :allbuttons:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Burning Man owns so loving hard

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

foreskin cancer is the least worrisome type of cancer

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Today I'm praying for the guy in the truck who threw up his hands at me when I safely signaled my intention to legally enter the crosswalk on my commute to work. I guess he didn't see the big flashing lights. Maybe if they made big motorcycle noises he would have seen me.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Riding my Harley around Burning Man as a statement of perfect political synthesis

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Stereotype posted:

I took the bus there from Reno which was nice, so while I did fly across the ocean, I didn't get a car and drive in

People get uniquely bent out of shape about burning man when every sports game in the nation looks like this:

yeah the truman sports complex sucks to get to KC needs to build trains to get out to it. it was $40 to park the last time I went to a chiefs game

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Stereotype posted:

if you like biking around without having to worry about cars, you should go to burning man. black rock city is most cyclist friendly city i've ever been to.

It’s 50 thousand trucks parked in a desert op

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Polo-Rican posted:

It’s 50 thousand trucks parked in a desert op

We'd rather have a gun 50 thousand trucks in the outfield desert, than under a mattress in a sports stadium parking lot where a child could get to it."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
also ugh forgot about the early 2000s open transphobia in everything looking for clips of that

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I was also thinking of leaf blowers and lawn mowers when I universally condemned the internal combustion engine
Boomers love their loving leaf blowers

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

leaf blowers should be banned and confiscated

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

use a loving rake if you care that much assholes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

also ugh forgot about the early 2000s open transphobia in everything looking for clips of that
We've made so much progress; now one month a year we get a car ad where one of the cars has rainbow colors and you can't see anyone inside and half the country still has an aneurysm

hailthefish posted:

leaf blowers should be banned and confiscated
Agreed, I hate the noise so loving much

I guess electric ones are at least slightly quieter theoretically? So I guess banning gas ones would be on ok start

It seems like electric lawnmowers are substantially quieter too? I was outside yesterday and someone was using one and they were still wearing ear protection but from where I was in the street it was actually fairly quiet

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Sep 12, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

We've made so much progress; now one month a year we get a car ad where one of the cars has rainbow colors and you can't see anyone inside and half the country still has an aneurysm

alles wird (matt) besser aber nichts wird gut

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gas powered leaf blowers are also absurdly polluting because the tiny engines are so inefficient. They should not be allowed to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
But we need leaf blowers to blow tear gas back at cops