Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Aces High posted:

Oh, I didn't realise Arthur C. Clarke originated the "advanced science may as well be magic" thing. TIL

Did you think it came from the Thor movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been playing Starfield the last week, found this planet:

All I could think of was, "Wait a minute! Bender's name isn't Bondar! It's Bender!"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did you think it came from the Thor movie

No, I've just heard it expressed in so many similar ways over the years that I figured it was just a thing someone said during the 19th century, or something, as a way to push scientific progress and ingenuity.

Looking it up, I didn't realise Clarke also gave rise to the "if an old, distinguished member of a group says something is possible, it is. If that person says it's impossible, they're wrong"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
It's time

8: Zapp Gets Canceled

When Zapp Brannigan is canceled for crude behavior, Leela takes over as captain of the Nimbus on a critical mission.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

It's time

8: Zapp Gets Canceled

When Zapp Brannigan is canceled for crude behavior, Leela takes over as captain of the Nimbus on a critical mission.

Despite all odds, this was not terrible. It actually felt pretty season 1 or 2 again. Only real issue is Leela was all of a sudden okay with getting them to sign? But I guess there's very little else you can do in the moment when they also are willing to just murder all the little gropey aliens.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I liked the episode which was a pleasant surprise :)

Maybe the key is to go in expecting the absolute worst v:shobon:v

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Okay that was... shockingly good. IMO absolutely the best of this new season so far and the only one that truly felt like classic Futurama.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This episode was better but it still had a bunch of :rolleyes: woke PC sensitivity :rolleyes: old man grouching, gonna call it good for this season but not exactly a shining classic overall.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it was pretty good by latter day Futurama standards - not a classic, but way above the watermark. The Tactilians were funny/cute and their pneumatic society was great. Some extremely funny standalone scenes, the simple country hyperchicken declaring Zapp guilty and the judge being like, "I'll allow it," cracked me up. Some great Bender bits in this episode too, I always like when they play the character as a self-absorbed jerk who still ultimately cares about his friends, so the comic relief comes from how much of a yutz he is rather than him being gratuitously cruel.

Also the core conceit is pretty good! "Kif has had enough" is a story begging to be told, Leela is obviously underachieving working at Planet Express, and the DOOP is more prestigious but obviously sucks so her signing on and then being disillusioned is a great basic arc. I thought the cancellation stuff was incisive and funny, the fact that a big song-and-dance is made about it but in practise it's a slap on the wrist and your life goes back to normal in eight hours felt like good, effective satire.

Some weird bits: Leela's arc closes off a bit messily here, it's not really clear how she feels about signing the peace treaty but she does it anyway, so we don't really get any catharsis on that. "Captain who throws food" wasn't really funny enough to hit the joke four times. For the most part though, the jokes are really solid and sometimes great, and the story works pretty well. A good episode, I think!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Definitely much better than I expected; I agree that the Tactilians were super cute and I like the pneumatic society.

Only thing I didn't really like was the end with Mr Kind who had also been serving... an 8 hour cancelation? So who tf was he before and why was he made captain. Whatever, not gonna overthink it, poisoning an air supply with a durian fruit is funny enough

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

McSpanky posted:

This episode was better but it still had a bunch of :rolleyes: woke PC sensitivity :rolleyes: old man grouching, gonna call it good for this season but not exactly a shining classic overall.

yes from the villain of the episode

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Honestly, I was expecting ":rolleyes: woke PC sensitivity :rolleyes:" bullshit, but I think you could've replaced "PC", "woke", or "cancelled" with a ton of other less modern terms, and it would've been basically the same. The premise wasn't entirely different than Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily for instance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Definitely much better than I expected; I agree that the Tactilians were super cute and I like the pneumatic society.

Only thing I didn't really like was the end with Mr Kind who had also been serving... an 8 hour cancelation? So who tf was he before and why was he made captain. Whatever, not gonna overthink it, poisoning an air supply with a durian fruit is funny enough

I believe he mentions this when he reveals the real sensitivity instructor tied up. He was supposed to take the class with Zapp and the other 2 captains, and he got there early and tied up the instructor and took over.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

they already did an episode where zapp got cancelled too lol

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

does every comedy show need to do an episode on "wokeness" now? Is that a network/parent company requirement or something?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"Character goes to workplace sensitivity training" is an ancient sitcom bit, like it has thirty or forty years on it. This episode was just one of those.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea like Nichael said they could've just used any other phrase and it wouldn't feel "too modern" like it does.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

Some extremely funny standalone scenes, the simple country hyperchicken declaring Zapp guilty and the judge being like, "I'll allow it," cracked me up.

The judge allowing absolutely everything never stops being funny. Also, everyone should watch Anatomy of a Murder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOw5F2TRbTk

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

Didn't get that vibe at all. Zap is very clearly portrayed as in the wrong, it's not like he was being punished for something innocuous. Like others said, the villain of the episode was the closest thing to complaining about "wokeness". In other words, I did not feel like the creators behind the episode were anti-woke.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Didn't get that vibe at all. Zap is very clearly portrayed as in the wrong, it's not like he was being punished for something innocuous. Like others said, the villain of the episode was the closest thing to complaining about "wokeness". In other words, I did not feel like the creators behind the episode were anti-woke.

I may have spoken a bit harshly earlier, but it still felt like a tropey softball take instead of something like Proposition Infinity that actively punched up and supported changing the status quo instead of just accepting it with shrug as everything goes back to normal.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I will say, I appreciated that he apologized to the Amazonians. That's something that feels nice to acknowledge after so many years

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For a second, I thought that Richard Kind was voicing Dr. Kind. Though also kind of sounded like Mark Hamill.

Also, Kathy Griffin being the food throwing officer I never would have thought of. Honestly surprised the Futurama writers didn't make her crime being threatening to cut off Nixon's head or something like that.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Aces High posted:

I will say, I appreciated that he apologized to the Amazonians. That's something that feels nice to acknowledge after so many years

Zapp's incredibly begrudging and limited character development was both funny and a decent character beat. "I now know the difference between right and wrong...one of them gets you cancell-ed!" Also him apologising to "Simulation Leela" at the end there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So the ending joke was pretty bad. Like asking your coworker if you can make out with them because they smell nice is still sexual/workplace harassment that nobody deserves. Them adding in that joke at the end just ruins the entire episode for me cause it’s effectively saying “you can sexually harass people as long as you “””ask”””.”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 12, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea it wasn't too bad.
I feel like a lot of scenes they tack on an extra joke that doesn't really need it, like a few scenes just ended with completely unfunny bits

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

SimonChris posted:

The judge allowing absolutely everything never stops being funny. Also, everyone should watch Anatomy of a Murder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOw5F2TRbTk

Yes. The judge questioning a ridiculous situation.....before allowing it anyways is forever a good joke.

Feel like this episode was a missed opportunity. Had a pretty good story for an episode.....but the jokes were not really landing. Probably the least funny episode of the season.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Probably the least funny episode of the season.

Lets not go and say anything insane now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The most bizarre thing about the episode was that the threat was completely nonexistent since we already saw that you can't throw things down the hole.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Probably the least funny episode of the season.
My god, it's even got stink lines.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Taear posted:

Lets not go and say anything insane now

Didn't say it was the worst episode of the season. It was middling. Just didn't have great jokes. Imo....a wasted Zapp appearance.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Sab669 posted:

The first part was explained already but he was made captain specifically because he said he'd fire on himself.

Not as bad as I expected!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really like how they've commited to the Fry/Leela relationship. They've established a nice new status quo and successfully moved things along, without it feeling like it's changed the balance of the show. Even the episodes that have involved their relationship heavily like the Momazon one don't feel off or weird. They're together now, cool, move on.

Don't like how other parts of the show feel a bit first draft/sketched out, like they put a [insert futuristic parody of X concept here] in the scripts and never got time to tighten it up. This episode the cancellation/woke references felt very frozen in late 2010s/early 2020s discourse.

Same with the durian thing, yeah they're stinky, but (and I know this is a silly critique of a cartoon) it felt very cartoony that a single one would ruin an entire planets core worth of air. I feel like classic Futurama would have had some little leadup establishing Durians had been bred for a thousand years to be increasingly stinky, or that this planets inhabitants have exceptionally strong senses of smell.

Definitely agree that it didn't come down on the chud side of the line though in terms of criticizing "woke/cancel culture", everyone there was clearly in the wrong with what they'd done to get the punishment.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 12, 2023

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Zapp's mispronunciations and choice of words will never not be funny to me.

"That's it, I'm filing an official complaint!"
"It's pronounced compliment."

"We are awarding you the medal of valor."
"It's pronounced velour."

Though probably nothing will ever top Champaggin, or his description of Leela as someone he "once made love at".

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
This definitely wasn't as bad as it could've been, but I thought it was pretty forgettable. I liked that they did emphasize some new characters like Dr. Kind and the Tactillians instead of digging up some obscure first-run characters to drive the plot. Both were pretty good. I think the biggest problem with the plot was the mere use of the words "cancel" and "woke" in 2023 immediately set off alarm bells that whoever is using them is an rear end in a top hat that's mad some people don't approve of their public bigotry. The episode was trying to thread the needle of not doing that, but also trying to land "PC run amok" jokes. Combined with a lot of flat jokes, it just ended up coming across as uninspired messaging-wise.

Another thing that might have helped was cutting the whole first scene and just starting with the trial. We all know Zapp's an rear end in a top hat, we didn't need a scene to establish that. It would've left more time to use the fresh characters and hash out the rest of the plot a little better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Don't like how other parts of the show feel a bit first draft/sketched out, like they put a [insert futuristic parody of X concept here] in the scripts and never got time to tighten it up. This episode the cancellation/woke references felt very frozen in late 2010s/early 2020s discourse.

I don’t think it was called X yet when they came up with this episode idea a few years ago.

On a more serious note, I feel like durians being smelly was a brief internet thing a few years ago, so that also added to the feeling of a brief dislocation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Durian is delicious and I don’t understand the meme about it smelling bad. gently caress all the haters.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's not a meme it's an actual thing

quote:

Some people regard the durian as having a pleasantly sweet fragrance, whereas others find the aroma overpowering and unpleasant. The smell evokes reactions ranging from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The persistence of its odour, which may linger for several days, has led certain hotels and public transportation services in Southeast Asia to ban the fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m aware that’s a thing written about online.

I’ve also had durian in my home before as an adult and been to durian farms when I was younger and I’ve never seen or heard of reactions like those.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The one time I was in a house with a durian, it smelled so bad that we had to open the windows to air the house out. It smelled so putrid to me that I wouldn't even get close to it and wouldn't dare try eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m aware that’s a thing written about online.

I’ve also had durian in my home before as an adult and been to durian farms when I was younger and I’ve never seen or heard of reactions like those.

It absolutely isn't an online thing

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/history/time-smelly-fruit-led-evacuation-3230137

There is a reason that hotels across SE Asia tend to have "No durian" signs