Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is that a Casio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Looks like it :v:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

My 5 can’t go another year, so I bit the bullet on a 9. Somewhat tempted to go into the store and check out the ultra and maybe swap for that in a few weeks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm assuming for GPS the series 9 follows the 8 where it no longer piggy backs off the phone?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Does the new modular ultra watch face only work on the ultra 2? it lets me choose it, and set it up, but I can't actually set it as my watch face on the phone, and it doesn't show up on my ultra 1.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The addition of ANT+ is super awesome, I have some old ANT gear and it's just been sitting in a drawer since I got an apple watch because it was more trouble than it's worth. I could use it with the phone but that obligated me to use non-watch tracking apps.

It definitely makes me more inclined to get an ultra next time I need a watch.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
3000 nits brightness on the new ultra is incredibly impressive. That’s direct summer sunlight using the watch no troubles level. Crazy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've never though my Ultra screen was too dark, even in direct sunlight, but I do suppose BIGGER NUMBER is better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, just installed watchOS 10 and I absolutely hate how they moved the control panel to the side button. And it seems now you can't rotate the crown on the watch face to turn on Ultra night mode?

The new timer looks much better, however.

e: looks like the Wayfinder face now defaults to auto night mode in the face editor. So no more scrolling needed.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 13, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
How much heavier is the Ultra vs the Regular ?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

How much heavier is the Ultra vs the Regular ?

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Ultra:
49mm by 44mm by 14.4mm
61.4 grams

S9:
45mm by 38mm
by 10.7mm (45mm)
38.7 grams (Aluminum, GPS)
39.0 grams (Aluminum, GPS + Cellular)
51.5 grams (Stainless Steel)

41mm by 35mm
by 10.7mm (41mm)
31.9 grams (Aluminum, GPS)
32.1 grams (Aluminum, GPS + Cellular)
42.3 grams (Stainless Steel)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

badjohny posted:

Does the new modular ultra watch face only work on the ultra 2? it lets me choose it, and set it up, but I can't actually set it as my watch face on the phone, and it doesn't show up on my ultra 1.

It works for me and is actually pretty awesome!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It works for me and is actually pretty awesome!

Do you have a picture?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Do you have a picture?

No loving clue how to post pics in the awful app anymore, so…

https://imgur.com/a/TJxwa7N

The thing around the edge can count your seconds, display elevation, or depth.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No loving clue how to post pics in the awful app anymore, so…

https://imgur.com/a/1bNNZJe

The thing around the edge can count your seconds, display elevation, or depth.

Oh snap I think I like that…

Also you can use this shortcut to upload pictures and spit out a link

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/94ee1c8f9edd48439842a17524fa0b11

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the shortcut!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Ultra:
49mm by 44mm by 14.4mm
61.4 grams

S9:
45mm by 38mm
by 10.7mm (45mm)
38.7 grams (Aluminum, GPS)
39.0 grams (Aluminum, GPS + Cellular)
51.5 grams (Stainless Steel)

41mm by 35mm
by 10.7mm (41mm)
31.9 grams (Aluminum, GPS)
32.1 grams (Aluminum, GPS + Cellular)
42.3 grams (Stainless Steel)

Actually surprised the Ultra weights that much more, the weight has never bothered me even a tiny bit.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
They should’ve focussed more on battery life especially for the ultra.

- The segment of people that buy $1k+ GPS sports watches do so because they train for & do long endurance events like ultra marathons, Ironmans, multi-day cycling. In activity tracking mode the battery life still isn’t close to long enough to not worry about even for a 1 day event, and will get worse in a year of battery charge cycles. It’s a hassle no one needs when travelling to an event and waking up early to start.
- you still can’t even make it through a long weekend without thinking about it. There’s surely enough room in that case for a 2x as large battery at least. AMOLED still seems like the wrong screen tech for a watch to me, and will limit then forever.

I’m surprised they bothered with ant+, it seems really non-Apple thing to do, and I’m pretty sure every sensor and device (heart rate strap, cycling power/speed) I’ve got already has Bluetooth LE as an option, though I’ve never compared performance or battery life for the standards. What ANT+ devices do you have that you want to pair with a watch?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah I wanna do my first 24 hour event in a year and it sucks that the ultra still is nowhere near even with energy saver. A 10 hour bike ride with breaks included put me around 40% battery I think. Still better than the regular watch tho I guess

The new watch face being on ultra 1 rules, thanks for checking that. that was like the only feature that’d have made me upgrade in a hypothetical more money than sense situation :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think people who do 24 hours straight of exercise might need a specialized watch and I’m okay with that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Apple site says an SE will be available 9/22, but they didn’t announce a new one, right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

smackfu posted:

I think people who do 24 hours straight of exercise might need a specialized watch and I’m okay with that.

You’d kind of think the Ultra was a specialized watch, though.

The battery for this product has always been the worst aspect of it, I’m sure it’s their number one priority at least but doesn’t sound like it’s gotten very far. I have a series 5 and when it eventually dies tbh I’ll probably not replace it with a new one.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

its kind of funny they used Scott loving Jurek to advertise for the OG Ultra and the thing won't even let you finish a 100 mile race :v: which is like the major ultra distance everyone swoons over.

I think even the UTMB winners wore Ultras and the best results were 19 hours (going up to 50ish) which sounds like they likely didn't track the run with it either :v:

Zwille fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 13, 2023

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The point of the Apple Watch Ultra isn’t to appeal to people who actually run ultra-marathons (at least with any regularity), it’s to appeal to people who *like the idea* of running an ultra-marathon.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

wooger posted:

- The segment of people that buy $1k+ GPS sports watches do so because they train for & do long endurance events like ultra marathons, Ironmans, multi-day cycling. In activity tracking mode the battery life still isn’t close to long enough to not worry about even for a 1 day event, and will get worse in a year of battery charge cycles. It’s a hassle no one needs when travelling to an event and waking up early to start.
- you still can’t even make it through a long weekend without thinking about it. There’s surely enough room in that case for a 2x as large battery at least. AMOLED still seems like the wrong screen tech for a watch to me, and will limit then forever.

I’m surprised they bothered with ant+, it seems really non-Apple thing to do, and I’m pretty sure every sensor and device (heart rate strap, cycling power/speed) I’ve got already has Bluetooth LE as an option, though I’ve never compared performance or battery life for the standards. What ANT+ devices do you have that you want to pair with a watch?

Like 95% of the buyers of the Apple Watch Ultra are buying it because of the way it looks, not because of what it can do. Function drove form, and people buy it for form and not function.

Approximately 0% of Rolex Submariner watches are used for scuba diving.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Form would be better in black. :argh:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Like 95% of the buyers of the Apple Watch Ultra are buying it because of the way it looks, not because of what it can do. Function drove form, and people buy it for form and not function.

You could however use it for submarining! :eng101:

Whereas the Ultra and Ultras, lol, lmao

fine I'll stop now, sorry

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Tangental, but I used to wear my Rolex Oyster Datejust all the time and never took it off because it is beautiful. Including when cycling and swimming. It's way more hardy than any kind of Apple Watch (except when it comes to timekeeping where you tend to lose a minute or two a week).

But when I told a watch dealer friend this, they got super angry and told me that next time I wanted to do that I should lock the watch in a safe, withdraw $10 and set the $10 on fire because that's basically what you're doing every time you wear it in any kind of physically active capacity. I don't really agree with that, but I get it. It's a signifier that the thing on your wrist is built to last, more than it is a call to adventure. It's so well-built that you can hand it down to your grandkids. the Rolex was originally advertised in shop windows at the bottom of a full fishtank. This wasn't to market specifically to swimmers - it was just part of a general flex about the quality of the engineering.

I think that argument is valid, but it completely falls apart when applied to the Apple Watch, for all the obvious reasons. Nobody is going to be bequeathing their Gen 1 Apple Watch Ultra with a swollen non-replaceable battery to their grandkids. It's a nice looking fashion watch. It's also as much of a problem consumable as all the other portable tech in our lives

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wooger posted:

none of the Ultras break $1k, believe it or not.

A stainless steel S9 GPS with the right band costs more than any Ultra, as do all of the Hermes models IIRC (I dicked around on the website for a bit last night)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I’ve brought my Omega Moonwatch to the moon. Now what smart guy :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Grumbles posted:

But when I told a watch dealer friend this, they got super angry and told me that next time I wanted to do that I should lock the watch in a safe, withdraw $10 and set the $10 on fire because that's basically what you're doing every time you wear it in any kind of physically active capacity. I don't really agree with that, but I get it. It's a signifier that the thing on your wrist is built to last, more than it is a call to adventure. It's so well-built that you can hand it down to your grandkids. the Rolex was originally advertised in shop windows at the bottom of a full fishtank. This wasn't to market specifically to swimmers - it was just part of a general flex about the quality of the engineering.

lol gently caress that, there’s nothing cooler than an old pro diver that still dailies his decades-old rolex

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Speaking of the right band to cost more than an Ultra, did the Link Bracelet get a price drop? I see it for £299/399, and I swear it used to be £349/449? Y'know, because lord knows I've been itching to spend as much again as my S8 on a strap and a £50 discount could really cinch it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

I think that argument is valid, but it completely falls apart when applied to the Apple Watch, for all the obvious reasons. Nobody is going to be bequeathing their Gen 1 Apple Watch Ultra with a swollen non-replaceable battery to their grandkids. It's a nice looking fashion watch. It's also as much of a problem consumable as all the other portable tech in our lives

Yeah, I mean, for a lot of consumers the point is the flex, that you paid so much money for essentially disposable tech, see: the gold Apple Watch, pretty much any other luxury good, clothing, cars, how many AMG Mercedes see a track or G-Wagons go off-roading.

The Apple Watch Ultra is clearly a better watch, if you can easily afford it, go ahead and buy it because you wanted to brighter screen, the more durable case and better battery life. But I assume a huge part of the Ultra market is Apple says it is expensive because it's so high-quality you can use it for mountain climbing and scuba driving, consumers hear the price and then it becomes an obtainable status symbol.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Matinee posted:

The point of the Apple Watch Ultra isn’t to appeal to people who actually run ultra-marathons (at least with any regularity), it’s to appeal to people who *like the idea* of running an ultra-marathon.

I think this is correct, and even if eventually gained that capability, I find those types to be pretty far up their own asses about Garmin et al superiority anyway (probably deserved in this specific case)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Matinee posted:

They should do a partnership with Vollebak and capture the Iron Man wannabe demographic too

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

illcendiary posted:

I think this is correct, and even if eventually gained that capability, I find those types to be pretty far up their own asses about Garmin et al superiority anyway (probably deserved in this specific case)

They added a bunch of features specifically for niche sports tracking though. The only thing they’re missing is more battery life / some screen mode that’s visible outside but an order of magnitude less power hungry.

The case seems big enough to have multiple Apple Watch batteries inside it tbh.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It is true that a lot of the running metrics stuff they added is practically worthless to most runners.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The auto night mode on the Ultra faces are cool, but it’s a bit aggressive turning it on when it’s like barely dark. Wish you could adjust the threshold a bit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The auto night mode on the Ultra faces are cool, but it’s a bit aggressive turning it on when it’s like barely dark. Wish you could adjust the threshold a bit.

Is this stuff in an upcoming update or is it out already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Is this stuff in an upcoming update or is it out already?

It’s the 10 RC, which I think you need 17 RC on your phone to get.