Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

“Since 2000, North Korea's birth rate has exceeded its death rate; the natural growth is positive. In terms of age structure, the population is dominated by the 15–64-year-old segment (68.09%). The median age of the population is 32.9 years.”

I think we all know what’s about to happen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrow: I live in San Diego. Unless Ronald Reagan-class carriers have a previously unknown, 100% unerring ballistic missile intercept system, it'll be over instantly.

Unless the exoatmospheric kill vehicles from the Vandenberg GMDs do their jobs

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

You will find that TEMPLE GRANDIN OS has graciously offered up balls to be nuked, please respect testicular sovereignty in this thread :lol:

the popes toes posted:

Not nuke grifting but grifing nonetheless
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1701335251111309769
As well as Timofeev, another officer – one of the commanders of the unit in which tanks, infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers were stored – was likewise arrested and charged.

Such instances of corruption have had very serious consequences for Russia's war effort. Large amounts of stored military equipment were found to be essentially useless, having been stripped of components, wiring and anything else of value. /end

Was this plain old pocket lining, or was there an agenda to the profiteering?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Uh anyone else heard this news about Ukraine retaking oil rigs in the Black Sea..with loving Russian jets involved???

What the gently caress it's a loving movie level battle Jesus Christ

https://kyivindependent.com/ukraine-war-latest-ukraine-regains-control-of-boyko-towers-drilling-rigs-in-black-sea/

Russia jets flying overhead, Ukrainian special forces just putting rounds down at high speeds in boats. Like just an overall crazy operation with some high loving stakes. Literally a cod mission

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 12, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Curly Shuffle posted:

While it's amusing to think that Poland might acquire more HIMARS than the U.S. Army, I think the 486 number is for the modules containing the rockets that they swap in and out of the vehicle to reload.

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2023/02/07/us-clears-poland-to-buy-himars-and-ammo-worth-10-billion/

So, like 20 HIMARS or whatever, with lots of reloads.

That makes way more sense and makes the big argument in the thread about this funny.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Uh anyone else heard this news about Ukraine retaking oil rigs in the Black Sea..with loving Russian jets involved???

What the gently caress it's a loving movie level battle Jesus Christ

https://kyivindependent.com/ukraine-war-latest-ukraine-regains-control-of-boyko-towers-drilling-rigs-in-black-sea/

Russia jets flying overhead, Ukrainian special forces just putting rounds down at high speeds in boats. Like just an overall crazy operation with some high loving stakes. Literally a cod mission

You call yourself a gamer yet you reference cod instead of the obvious Mother Base

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

You call yourself a gamer yet you reference cod instead of the obvious Mother Base

The Big Shell is real, it was just in the Black Sea instead off of NYC

Arsenal Gear is the Russian Troll Farm and X

My god...

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Coolguye posted:

none of the nukechat matters because unless you, personally, are willing to gamble hundreds of thousands of lives on what amounts to your gut feeling that the other guy is bluffing, you have to assume that he's telling the truth and he can in fact kill hundreds of thousands of people with an order.

it's such a teeteringly stark situation that even if you take that gamble and win, it's likely that the balance of people will see you as a reckless fool rather than a tough visionary, because there is absolutely no way you could've known for certain and you gambled the lives of more people than have made up our entire species at many points in our history on what "felt" correct. you would be one of the most dangerous idiots alive, even if you were right in that one instance.

One of the more terrifying things from pro-urkaine folks was seeing some idiots saying "ehh, bring it, we can take a few million dead, and a few metropolises gone and then we flatten them with conventional arms" and "MAD is not a deterrent anymore because we're far more ready to embrace death" and I'm like :stare:

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fusion Power is 50 years away!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

redshirt posted:

Fusion Power is 50 years away!

eh, could be sooner, could be later, in case of a materials science breakthrough

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I am a literal expert in nuclear warfare and the things I had to learn in order to become one was enough to crack ping this entire thread 50 times over. As bad as people think nuclear war would be, even in the most generous limited exchange, it would be so much worse it's almost impossible to describe using written word. For gently caress's sake we had to invent a new unit of measurement in order to be able to account for the amount of dead in ANY nuclear war scenario

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Some people apparently think they'd eitherbe instantly incinerated and thus do not have to care or they would not be hit and somehow their chicken tendie lifestyle would in no way be affected and thus they do not have to care, with literally no room in between for "you are alive and very much envy the dead"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 12, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Since I am limited on time RN I won't go into extreme detail but.

Finland being NATO means that Russia cannot send out it's nuclear subs from St Petersburg undetected. The listening deices will be so close that any sub that isn't already patrolling waters with nuclear missiles will be detected quickly.

There's a lot more to that but there's the gist.
it's not really the big deal you paint it to be

:nsa:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ronwayne posted:

Some people apparently cannot conceive of any situation in which they are either instantly incinerated and thus do not have to care or they would not be hit and somehow their chicken tendie lifestyle would in no way be affected and thus they do not have to care, with literally no room in between for "you are alive and very much envy the dead"

the ones instantly incinerated are the luckiest mfers on the planet

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hell yeah work sucks.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

Some people apparently think they'd eitherbe instantly incinerated and thus do not have to care or they would not be hit and somehow their chicken tendie lifestyle would in no way be affected and thus they do not have to care, with literally no room in between for "you are alive and very much envy the dead"

Anyone who saw Threads on release as a teenager has fewer illusions on this than you might think. :geno:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TulliusCicero posted:

The Big Shell is real, it was just in the Black Sea instead off of NYC

Arsenal Gear is the Russian Troll Farm and X

My god...

I thought MGS2 writing was too farfetched in 2001, but Kojima is basically Nostradamus

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Socks/status/936754025101488128

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ronwayne posted:

One of the more terrifying things from pro-urkaine folks was seeing some idiots saying "ehh, bring it, we can take a few million dead, and a few metropolises gone and then we flatten them with conventional arms" and "MAD is not a deterrent anymore because we're far more ready to embrace death" and I'm like :stare:
I think a lot of people have drunk a little too deep of the online 'dur hur isn't it funny how everything's awful and we all long for death haha :) anyway my thoughts on world politics are ((recites a symptom list of major depression))' poo poo.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Ronwayne posted:

I don't think I've seen that argument anywhere, so much as a lot of warranted skepticism toward the current readiness levels of Russian nuclear forces.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't think I've seen that argument anywhere, so much as a lot of warranted skepticism toward the current readiness levels of Russian nuclear forces.

For a country with a true nuclear triad there is no such thing as a decapitation strike. Russia, as bad off as it is, would be able to respond no matter what people think of their "readiness".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

This whole war has also exposed a lot of (the kind of) people (who are paying attention to it) to a great deal of 'Russia says they're definitely seriously gonna light the candle now' and a bunch of people saying, in essence, "we should give Russia whatever they want, because the downside is too great to consider."

I'm old enough to remember in 2016 when people talked like Hillary was going to maybe do air patrols over Syria, which would immediately, axiomatically and directly lead to Russia ending the world. As if somehow Russia's nuclear weapons were a blanket ticket to whatever conquest or military adventure they wanted to try for.

If that applies to Russia, doesn't it also apply to all other nuclear states?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ronwayne posted:

this is possibly one of the only takes whatsoever that I have never seen anywhere

i'd highly recommend spending less time in any space where you see people saying poo poo like that

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nessus posted:

This whole war has also exposed a lot of (the kind of) people (who are paying attention to it) to a great deal of 'Russia says they're definitely seriously gonna light the candle now' and a bunch of people saying, in essence, "we should give Russia whatever they want, because the downside is too great to consider."

I'm old enough to remember in 2016 when people talked like Hillary was going to maybe do air patrols over Syria, which would immediately, axiomatically and directly lead to Russia ending the world. As if somehow Russia's nuclear weapons were a blanket ticket to whatever conquest or military adventure they wanted to try for.

If that applies to Russia, doesn't it also apply to all other nuclear states?

gently caress, I remember all the talk about "KILLARY KKKLINTON WILL END THE WORLD IN NUCLEAR HELLFIRE" I saw practically everywhere both from useful idiots and anyone supporting Trump.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Anyone who saw Threads on release as a teenager has fewer illusions on this than you might think. :geno:

On one hand, I saw Threads. On the other hand, I saw Mad Maxes. Thus far, I'm undecided on nuclear war.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

zone posted:

gently caress, I remember all the talk about "KILLARY KKKLINTON WILL END THE WORLD IN NUCLEAR HELLFIRE" I saw practically everywhere both from useful idiots and anyone supporting Trump.
I always thought it was very dehumanizing to Russians and the Russian leadership. Would there not be some level of decision making involved? But I suppose it's the same thinking as the idea that they were somehow compelled (by NATO expansion, or by uncontrolled homosatanism, or by Ukraine's imminent pre-emptive counterstrike requiring pre-preemptive counter-counterstriking, etc.) to do this; as if at no point did anyone make a choice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Just Another Lurker posted:

^^^^

JFC that film is grim. Firmly on a dont watch twice list

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
read a few of the Deathlands books for the most accurate representation of nuclear post-apocalyptic life, ngl. Deathlands is my favorite bad pulp fiction. I own all the books and I'm rebuying them all on audiobook because I'm a crazy person

but for real consume Deathlands fiction in some form. its so much loving fun

Threads was okay but not remotely close to the best one. Watch The Day After for a better version of Threads (and more accurate, weapon and effect wise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyy9n8r16hs

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

There were definitely some op-eds to that tune a few months into the war. The main thrust was that surely Russia would limit itself to a tactical strike and that both the response and the response to the response would be a level-headed and restrained expansion of conventional war and probably not lead to a general nuclear exchange.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I read a collection of "Barefoot Gen" my local library had, which was plenty

the holy poopacy posted:

There were definitely some op-eds to that tune a few months into the war. The main thrust was that surely Russia would limit itself to a tactical strike and that both the response and the response to the response would be a level-headed and restrained expansion of conventional war and probably not lead to a general nuclear exchange.
It seems like an open question if Joe Biden, Vlad Putin, and Xi Jinping would really end the world if Putin decided to drop a nuclear weapon on a Ukrainian formation.

And I could well see the answer to that being "No," but buddy I'm glad not to actually take the risk.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

read a few of the Deathlands books for the most accurate representation of nuclear post-apocalyptic life, ngl. Deathlands is my favorite bad pulp fiction. I own all the books and I'm rebuying them all on audiobook because I'm a crazy person

but for real consume Deathlands fiction in some form. its so much loving fun

There are 150 of these books :stare:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

bad_fmr posted:

On one hand, I saw Threads. On the other hand, I saw Mad Maxes. Thus far, I'm undecided on nuclear war.

I intend to become the Bisexual Warlord of the Wastes and dress like a Mad Max villain. Join me!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

These people are idiots. They are dangerous, omnicidal idiots that should not be listened to under any circumstances

sleepy gary posted:

There are 150 of these books :stare:

In fairness, the series has been going on since I think 1986, under multiple ghost writers all using the pen name James Axler. They are a REMARKABLE look at pop culture in the late cold war and through the early 1990s and the books themselves show the metamorphosis in thinking vis a vis nuclear war and the Cold War as the Cold War itself draws to a close during the early books of the series and you see the books' tones change as the USSR becomes the Russian Federation and the Fukuyama "End of History" era takes full effect

I wish I was kidding because these are absolute garbage pulp novels (which is part of what makes them so fun!!!) but that also makes them so, so much more effective in reflecting the zeitgeist of the time at which they were published.

Another good example: you can tell when the big grunge music boom hits the US because the books, which use a traveling setting from book to book, start taking place in the pacific northwest and specifically around Seattle which would not happen before 1991 or again after Cobain killed himself

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 12, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this is possibly one of the only takes whatsoever that I have never seen anywhere

i'd highly recommend spending less time in any space where you see people saying poo poo like that

I've seen a bunch of people being excited about NATO literally invading Russia, which would amount to the same thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I've seen a bunch of people being excited about NATO literally invading Russia, which would amount to the same thing.

I've seen nothing like it, and anything remotely related is in obvious jest.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

redshirt posted:

I've seen nothing like it, and anything remotely related is in obvious jest.

I have definitely seen some sentiment along these lines, usually from very nationalist minded eastern europeans who have a generational axe to grind with Russia specifically. Many of my polish friends with families who suffered under the soviet union fit this description, every time I tell them about a possible Russian provocation of NATO many will respond with the shark grinning meme threatening to hit the article 5 button and their hatred of Russia is visceral. Hard to blame them, one of these friends had grandparents murdered at Katyn by the Russians. Russia has not been remotely kind to anywhere in Eastern Europe, whether as part of the USSR or not

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Nessus posted:

I think this does explain some of the "then launch the loving nukes, coward, I'm sick of listening to you threaten it" talk. It explains mine, anyway, finding that kind of appeasement rhetoric extremely distasteful.
Not that I'd actually be sanguine about nukes getting used, but taking away that cornerstone of their argument (presumed agreement that nukes must be avoided at any cost, and therefore we have to preemptively surrender) can be less aggravating than actually picking it all apart.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
any mention of nukes should be officially met with the jerkoff emoji by global leaders

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

It seems like an open question if Joe Biden, Vlad Putin, and Xi Jinping would really end the world if Putin decided to drop a nuclear weapon on a Ukrainian formation.

And I could well see the answer to that being "No," but buddy I'm glad not to actually take the risk.

I mean I can buy that everyone might manage to collectively slam the brakes in time but the idea that NATO would open up with conventional forces and Russia would just politely stand down their nuclear arsenal while their army is dismantled is pure warhawk masturbation.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

I mean I can buy that everyone might manage to collectively slam the brakes in time but the idea that NATO would open up with conventional forces and Russia would just politely stand down their nuclear arsenal while their army is dismantled is pure warhawk masturbation.

Any kinetic engagement between Russia and NATO in any kind of even halfway serious capacity is going to result in a nuclear exchange eventually and I don't think anyone in a decision making capacity is under any delusions otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

PinheadSlim posted:

Played too much Skyrim and think that if you accidentally kick someones chicken the entire town will murder your rear end

Yeah, the reaction is gonna be more like a call over the diplomatic channel saying "We're watching you....SCUM!"