Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

4. Stories about Superman "the alien" or "the god" or "the savior" or "the messiah" or "the icon" whether played straight or in an attempted deconstruction because it always ends up pretentious drivel and-- ironically-- way less iconic than any of the other three.

All Star Superman is a story where Superman is "the messiah" played completely straight and it's one of the most beloved Superman story of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alhazred posted:

All Star Superman is a story where Superman is "the messiah" played completely straight and it's one of the most beloved Superman story of all time.
Grant Morrison wrote an entire book about how Superman was a sun god though, so he probably gets to be a bit of a special case :eng101:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, All-Star Superman comes up pretty often as one of the best superhero comics ever. The plot is (minor spoilers, we're talking literally the first couple pages here) Superman got overloaded with yellow sun radiation and is ultra-strong but incurably dying, and it follows what he gets up to with the time left. It's a good way to use the character in interesting ways. It's also really cool and sorta minimalist, although (I'm going to get eviscerated here) I really don't care for the actual art.

I'm pretty sure All-Star Batman and Robin, on the other hand, is the terrible comic where that viral panel of Batman smacking Robin and shouting "What, are you r*tarded?!? I'm the GODDAMN BATMAN" originated, so like, cape books are a land of contrasts.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I agree on both All Star Superman being probably the platonic ideal of the character in some respects, and also having bad art - or at least rather art I do not care for.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
All Star is incredibly moving with mostly great artwork, but it's okay to admit Frank Face is a thing in the same way as Dillon. Quitely isn't even a bad artist, just reaallly likes that face.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Alhazred posted:

Tried reading All-Star Superman a while back due to its reputation as a solid standalone story and found it utterly baffling. I guess because it's still very much aimed at dedicated cape comic fans despite not being drowned in decades-worth of continuity.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Doctor Bishop posted:

Tried reading All-Star Superman a while back due to its reputation as a solid standalone story and found it utterly baffling. I guess because it's still very much aimed at dedicated cape comic fans despite not being drowned in decades-worth of continuity.

even as a comic book nerd it was pretty loving weird for me on an initial read, grant morrison is just weird like that. they're a chaos wizard occultist or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rockman Reserve posted:

even as a comic book nerd it was pretty loving weird for me on an initial read, grant morrison is just weird like that. they're a chaos wizard occultist or something.

He literally is yes

Alan Moore doesn't get along with him because they are different kinds of wizards

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Superman: Secret Identity is a fantastic and underappreciated Superman story. It's about a kid called Clark Kent who finds out he has superpowers, just like the famous comic book character.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Superman: Secret Identity is a fantastic and underappreciated Superman story. It's about a kid called Clark Kent who finds out he has superpowers, just like the famous comic book character.

Oh poo poo that was a pretty fun comic. He ends up getting jokingly set up with a chick named Lois and they actually end up in love. A fun take on Superman set in the "real world" where Superman actually exists as a comic before Clark suddenly gets Superman powers.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He literally is yes

Alan Moore doesn't get along with him because they are different kinds of wizards

Grant Morrison uses they/them pronouns fyi.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Superman Smashes the Klan is just an amazing Superman story because it goes in hard on the golden age concept of Supes as an anti-fascist symbol for people to look up to.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm pretty sure All-Star Batman and Robin, on the other hand, is the terrible comic where that viral panel of Batman smacking Robin and shouting "What, are you r*tarded?!? I'm the GODDAMN BATMAN" originated, so like, cape books are a land of contrasts.

other great hits from All-Star Batman and Robin: Literally every woman with a speaking line being hot and bothered about every man they see. Batman painting an entire room yellow and then luring Hal Jordan into it and donning a yellow cowl to completely overwhelm him.

I mean, Batman Odyssey is loving nuts too (including Batman carrying a gun and using it) but All-Star is just Frank Miller: Poe's Law Edition

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Batman Odyssey also has shirtless Bruce Wayne talking to the reader as the main framing device, and the Hollow Earth that the author apparently believes in.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

mycatscrimes posted:

I was so happy when the got the Superman rights for BatB, lol. Great show.

Of course the real star of BatB is Aquaman.

I was going to argue and say it was Guy Gardner and his shapely rear end, but I realised that wasn't BatB.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
And let us not forget the faces, the many, many 'incredible' faces from Batman Odyssey.

It was almost Golden Age with it's insanity.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Superdickery!! They even included some of the classic Silver Age moments:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BioEnchanted posted:

My personal favourite was when the imp Skillet stole the mask to make a more fun playmate for himself, gave it to one of his minions expecting him to become a hundred times more dangerous, only for it to give his minion the confidence to tell him in no uncertain terms to gently caress off.

Hahaha that's actually loving great

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Superdickery!! They even included some of the classic Silver Age moments:

Speaking of hosed up, out of character poo poo... what the gently caress was up with that Era of Superman (and possibly Batman, but I thunk those comics were more just "the writers discovered hard drugs" rather than outright "Batman is a dick")?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Click Bait, covers were the first part of the comic created for the sole purpose to move issues. The writer then had to wrap a story around it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Click Bait, covers were the first part of the comic created for the sole purpose to move issues. The writer then had to wrap a story around it.

I went and looked up that "Superman is a mean dad to Jimmy Olsen" story to see how the writer went about explaining that cover

The Daily Planet had a "Bring your dad to work" picnic which made Jimmy Olsen sad because he was an orphan, so Superman decided to legally adopt him (with a 30 day trial period)

It all goes well until Superman suddenly turns into an rear end in a top hat, prompting Jimmy Olsen to cancel the adoption process. But then Supes explains everything!

It all turns out to have been a weird misunderstanding but now it's too late for Superman to adopt Jimmy so they decide to just be friends again, like before

Yeah that's about as lovely as I was expecting it to be. :effort:

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Lmao dumb loving comics ftw

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Replacing my dead sun with a young, hot star

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Actually, come to think of it, maybe this is what my super-calculator machine meant by «YOU WILL MISINTERPRET MY OUTPUT AND DAMAGE A RELATIONSHIP AS THE RESULT» last week..."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A lot of the Superdickery covers have disappointing explanations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've always assumed they would so just appreciated the covers as the treasures they are and resolved never to investigate them further.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For some reason that makes them even funnier to me? It makes it seem like Superman is always taken out of context to look like a jerk in universe like a tabloid magazine, like JJJ exists in DC.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

Superman got overloaded with yellow sun radiation and is ultra-strong but incurably dying, and it follows what he gets up to with the time left

What are you, Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Which usually lead to rather unhinged stories revolving around the idea that Superman doesn't lie but he will gaslight everyone to get what he wants. Like the time Jimmy accidentally got Superman's secret identity written on his hand and instead of explaining the situation Superman makes Jimmy think he's turned into a merman and can breathe water. So that way Jimmy will spend all his time underwater and nobody will be able to read what's written on his hand until the ink wears off.

The funniest was probably the issue with "Superman's New Power!" which was Superman gaining the ability to fire a tiny Superman from his hands but when he does so he loses all his powers. He then becomes jealous of tiny Superman because everyone loves him. However it is all resolved when tiny Superman sacrifices his life to destroy a kryptonite meteor and in doing so Superman gets his powers back.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just like Youtube thumbnails today need arrows and dumb faces, comic covers needed apes!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

:words: about vintage Superman.

So... did they order the drugs by the truckload, or do you think they just had them manufacturing them on-site at DC, because what the gently caress did I just read?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I always wanted to know the story behind Superman leaving Lois to die tied to the front of a runaway truck.

Or the one where he snaps her air hose in space.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

All Star is incredibly moving with mostly great artwork, but it's okay to admit Frank Face is a thing in the same way as Dillon. Quitely isn't even a bad artist, just reaallly likes that face.

Frank Quitely's art makes way more sense when you remember that he's Scottish and therefore grew up on the other comics publishing giant DC (DC Thompson) - All Star Superman is secretly about Desperate Dan.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samovar posted:

I always wanted to know the story behind Superman leaving Lois to die tied to the front of a runaway truck.

Yeah that one was actually pretty complicated. It's partly because he decided to make Lois the richest reporter in the world so he went to Africa to get a giant diamond but he got the poo poo beaten out of him by a glowing green gorilla:

Lois and Clark discover that certain very rich people died recently after they joined a death cult and left all their money to the guru in their wills. Lois decides to join the cult to investigate it so Superman gets her a $10 million diamond from Africa to make her rich so the cult will target her, but while he's there he gets jumped by a gorilla which picked up a virus from a Kryptonian space probe. Lois becomes super wealthy and the cult welcomes her but Superman discovers that the Kryptonian virus makes him lose his powers at random times. He gets disorientated and crashes into the cult's headquarters and while he's still reeling the cult leader hypnotizes him and orders him to prove his loyalty by killing Lois by tying her to the front of a van and driving it off a cliff. Once that happens the cult leader immediately reveals that he faked the deaths of all those millionaires and they're actually locked up in the cellar beneath his cult headquarters and Superman goes "LOL I was just fooling all along, I was never hypnotized and Lois isn't dead."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I don’t remember what the story was on this one but I always got a kick out of the cover.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

On Krypton that is a grave insult

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I don’t remember what the story was on this one but I always got a kick out of the cover.

some reddit post posted:

The Prankster (SUPERSTOOP dude on the cover) and the Toyman came up with a brilliant idea... to drive Superman insane by having the Prankster violate obsolete laws, such as putting pennies in his ears!! He would keep violating obsolete (but still "on the books") laws and Superman would be too stupid to catch him in the act!! Mu ha ha ha!

Yeah. That didn't work out too well.

Long story short, Superman finally "caught" Prankster by heat-visioning off his pants to make it look like he was wearing shorts in public. It was illegal by some "can't wear wear striped shorts in Metropolis after Labor Day" law, so Superman arrested him for it on the spot for it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Prankster is just loving annoying and Superman is doing what we all wish we could do to him.

Also lol at Nightwing being part of the Superman Family.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Randalor posted:

Prankster is just loving annoying and Superman is doing what we all wish we could do to him.

Also lol at Nightwing being part of the Superman Family.

I think the Nightwing was a Kryptonian animal, same with Flamebird and then they both inspired superheroes either on Krypton or earth. The Dick Grayson Nightwing first appeared way after that comic would have been made I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Given comics' long history of Superdickery shenanigans, it always confused me why people got so up in arms over the "Hail Hydra" Captain America thing. Obviously he's going to turn out to be brainwashed, or an evil clone, or Cap from an alternate dimension, or conducting an elaborate scheme to trick the real villains, or whatever the real answer turned out to be.