Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Slavvy posted:

Standing on a mesa would expose you to all their long range weapons at once and you won't have any movement modifier, idk

Important to remember that in tabletop, as opposed to HBS, height confers no innate advantage/disadvantage to accuracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Important to remember that in tabletop, as opposed to HBS, height confers no innate advantage/disadvantage to accuracy

Yeah I know, I'm just meaning it'll put him in give or take the entire opfor's LOS and he'll be standing still, at least after the first turn

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I know, I'm just meaning it'll put him in give or take the entire opfor's LOS and he'll be standing still, at least after the first turn

Right, i was agreeing with you and pointing out there’s no tradeoff. Going full los with no move mod is bad and there’s not a compensating height modifier

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Right, i was agreeing with you and pointing out there’s no tradeoff. Going full los with no move mod is bad and there’s not a compensating height modifier

My bad that makes sense

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
One of the key tricks of BattleTech is limiting how many members of the OpForce can see you. If only one enemy 'Mech can see you, but two of your units can see that enemy 'Mech, you've got local superiority and that enemy 'Mech is probably in trouble.

That does vary a little based on enemy range, too. It's probably NBD if the Hornet can see you, unless it's close enough to fire. And even then, its weapons have such short effective ranges you can probably ignore it until it's point blank.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 6, 2023

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Captain Foo posted:

So... not like Star Wars then. I can't be all Obi-Wan Kenobi on their Anakin Skywalkers.

From how far away can I shoot that Commando then? All of my weapons are long range, so maybe I should start shooting at it.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

painedforever posted:

From how far away can I shoot that Commando then? All of my weapons are long range, so maybe I should start shooting at it.
Your max range with your weapons are 18 and 21 respectively, so you could walk forward 5 and start shooting the Commando at long range with both.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of the key tricks of BattleTech is limiting how many members of the OpForce can see you. If only one enemy 'Mech can see you, but two of your units can see that enemy 'Mech, you've got local superiority and that enemy 'Mech is probably in trouble.

That does vary a little based on enemy range, too. It's probably NBD if the Hornet can see you, unless it's close enough to fire. And even then, its weapons have such short effective ranges you can probably ignore it until it's point blank.

And if you let the Hornet get that close, you're probably occupied with something more important.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

One thing to note about weapon ranges in Battletech for those who aren't familiar: it's based on how many hexes away you are from your target, not a straight line. Line of sight however is determined by drawing a line from the middle of your mech's hex to the middle of the enemy's hex.

Elevation is a little trickier: Mechs are considered two levels high, vehicles one level. If two units on the same elevation have terrain between them equal to their height, then they're obscured from one another. Mechs can shoot at each other over height-1 hills, but hit rolls that land on the legs will automatically miss. This is very good to know if one of your legs has been shot open, as if you stand right next to a height 1 hill nobody can shoot your legs without flanking or cresting the hill.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 7, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Agree with bullying the little guys. Will aim to close for some close range action depending on how things shake out.

For now moving to 0918 and shooting the commando.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

Mechs can shoot at each other over height-1 hills, but hit rolls that land on the legs will automatically miss.

This is only partially true. Partial Cover is a thing, but you have to be adjacent to the level +1 hex for it to count; and it doesn't work if your enemy is attacking from a higher elevation. I always used to fudge that, but MegaMek is going to be playing RAW.

Negating partial cover is the closest to an elevation advantage that BattleTech has. If the enemy's on higher ground than you, taking cover behind a "level 1" hill is not safe.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is only partially true. Partial Cover is a thing, but you have to be adjacent to the level +1 hex for it to count; and it doesn't work if your enemy is attacking from a higher elevation. I always used to fudge that, but MegaMek is going to be playing RAW.

Negating partial cover is the closest to an elevation advantage that BattleTech has. If the enemy's on higher ground than you, taking cover behind a "level 1" hill is not safe.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% on the partial cover rules. Think that's actually what did me in when I tried to go hull-down during Ikuta Glacier, but then again I was already limping by that point so it was only a matter of time.

I believe MegaMek does have an option to use the advanced LOS rules that TacOps provides, but that's a nightmare to keep track of.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
If anyone is unsure whether they have LOS, please don't hesitate to ask me. I know it can be fiddly sometimes, so I'm always willing to let you know.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 1

A series of shrill tones sounded inside Jenna’s pod as the simulation booted up. An avalanche of command-line text cascaded down all of her viewscreens, the bright green letters skittering downwards like a horde of radioactive spiders. After several seconds all of the screens went dark except the primary, where a single prompt began to blink insistently.

[PLEASE CONFIGURE BATTLEMECH / DI SETTINGS]

Jenna fished a datachip out of her pocket and slotted it into one of the pod’s hardware ports. There were two ways to configure a simulator pod. The first was to manually select the mech you wanted and then spend ages fiddling with its settings until everything was the way you wanted it. The second, simpler option was to copy your own mech’s DI settings onto a datachip. Progress bars flickered across the screen as the pod downloaded her Wolverine’s settings and uploaded the data to its various virtual devices.

After about a minute the system rebooted. When the screen flickered back to life it displayed Jenna’s familiar HUD. Servos whirred as her command couch adjusted itself, segments extending and retracting so that it better resembled the one in her Wolverine. Sections of the wall and ceiling even folded inwards, reducing the amount of space inside until it was just as cramped and uncomfortable as a real Wolverine’s cockpit.

At the same time, the environment software began its work. Scanlines raced back and forth across the pod’s viewscreens, each time adding a little more detail to the simulated battlefield. Grids of thin green lines contorted into blocky polygons, which gradually deformed and smoothed themselves out into rocky buttes, clumps of boulders, and scraggy cactus patches. Colour came next, renders painting a perfect cyan skybox with a brilliant sun that cast a whitish-yellow glow over rich brown sands. The graphics weren’t quite photorealistic – there were a few blemishes here and there – but it was close enough that you really had to squint to notice. Once the map finished loading a progress bar appeared in one of Jenna’s secondary monitors, showing that the pods were 33% synced. When it reached 100% the simulated battle would begin.

“How’re we all doing?” Jenna asked, keying into Sable Lance’s secure comms circuit. “Everyone ready?”

“Ready.” Yukiko replied tersely.

“I’m nearly there,” Charles responded. “Had a bit of trouble uploading my settings. I had to blow into the slot twice before it would accept the chip. Everything’s good now, though.”

“I’m ready,” said Alexander. “What’s the plan, Jenna? Take out the noble brat first?”

Jenna’s jaw tightened. She knew she shouldn’t feel slighted by Etienne’s childish behaviour, but his arrogance reminded her of an old suitor her father had tried to set her up with. He too had been a walking manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

“We definitely need to take him down a peg, and not just because he’s an obnoxious little poo poo. The other Fusiliers won’t respect us if we let him get away with challenging our authority. We need to make an example of him. If we break him early, it will help establish the ground rules and stop his toxic attitude from infecting the others.”

“Are you sure that’s wise?” Charles asked, a note of concern in his voice. “He is our employer’s grandson. Won’t antagonising him put us at odds with Lord Decimis?”

Jenna’s lips curled into a smile. “Not at all. In fact, Lord Decimis asked us to teach him some humility. Rubbing Etienne’s face in the dirt will prove that we’re taking our jobs seriously.”

As she spoke, the sync bar on her secondary monitor ticked up to 100%. A shudder ran through the pod as the gyro-equivalent engaged itself. Jenna leant forwards experimentally, and her viewscreens moved in sympathy. She was ready to go.

“Alright, Sable Lance, let’s get going,” she announced. “We’ll decide how to deal with Etienne later. For now, let’s show these greenhorns who the real newbies are.”

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) attempts to move to Hex 1221 but does not have enough MP; movement ends in Hex 1322.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 2: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player):
-Fires PPC at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (0/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Wednesday 13th 9:00PM GMT.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scintilla posted:

River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 1

Jenna fished a datachip out of her pocket and slotted it into one of the pod’s hardware ports. There were two ways to configure a simulator pod. The first was to manually select the mech you wanted and then spend ages fiddling with its settings until everything was the way you wanted it. The second, simpler option was to copy your own mech’s DI settings onto a datachip. Progress bars flickered across the screen as the pod downloaded her Wolverine’s settings and uploaded the data to its various virtual devices.

This seems like it'll be used against S&S. Some data theft used against them of some sort

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure how much advice Goonlance is interested in, but there's a spot pretty much dead center between all four current player positions that would let you engage a 4v2 fight with the Griffin and Hunchback. That spot also puts the Wolverine and Commando very out-of-position (1-2 extra turns to join the fight) and lets you concentrate fire to hopefully score an early elimination.

For less specific advice, It'd probably be worth hammering the Hunchback a little. He's not a terrible pilot but 2+ PPC hits and he's still looking at a 6+ piloting test with a 7+ injury roll if he fails. Those aren't terrible odds for a Turn 2 knockdown of the most dangerous 'Mech in the OpForce.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips PTN

Gladiator

Moving to 1619 and shooting Hunchback if in LOS otherwise Griffin.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scintilla posted:

“I’m nearly there,” Charles responded. “Had a bit of trouble uploading my settings. I had to blow into the slot twice before it would accept the chip. Everything’s good now, though.”

This brings back memories :allears:

Trebuchet here, going to move up to 1116 to keep myself covered as I'm still out of range. Puts me in range of the Wolverine but that guy can't hit the broad side of a barn.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Do I have LoS to the Hornet? I get the feeling I should shoot at it first rather than turn and head towards the right.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

painedforever posted:

Do I have LoS to the Hornet? I get the feeling I should shoot at it first rather than turn and head towards the right.

It's got a +3 movement mod, vs the GRF +2 and HBK +1. You'd be rolling at 9s for the Hornet and 8s for GRF and if I counted it right, from 1517, just 7s for the HBK. I'd go for the 7 to-hit over everything else. But if I'm off by 1 hex, that HBK is now long range so becomes 9s again and then the GRF is the easiest shot. 1616 is probably a better spot, as it gives you a +3 movement mod as well and pushes everyone a hex closer. But you might want to make sure you're not too forward.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 10, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think trying to defeat the hunchback and griffin in detail is a great idea

Wolverine

I think I'll move to 1717 and start shooting at the griffin

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

This brings back memories :allears:

Wouldn't be the space eighties if you didn't have to blow into your NES cartridge simulator pod's hardware port every now and then.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
At some point, if we're given the opportunity to, we need to push His Royal Jackass into a mud hex. Preferably from one of the hexes with an elevation change for maximum dunking.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Scintilla posted:

Wouldn't be the space eighties if you didn't have to blow into your NES cartridge simulator pod's hardware port every now and then.

Which in turn means that after you humiliate him there's at least a 25% chance Etienne pulls off a cartridge tilt glitch and turns his mech into the Black Marauder. I mean, it is coming up on that time of year...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rorahusky posted:

At some point, if we're given the opportunity to, we need to push His Royal Jackass into a mud hex. Preferably from one of the hexes with an elevation change for maximum dunking.

Can mechs vent liquid coolant out of the pelvis?

Asking for a friend.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Z the IVth posted:

Asking for a friend.

I don’t think that’s going to happen.

However you can discard ammo. It’s usually a bad idea and I’m pretty sure you have to like, stop moving entirely to do it. but if a weapon breaks and you still have a bunch of ammo in your mech waiting to explode, dropping it can be a good idea.

I’m sure we can come up with ways to use that factoid for humiliation purposes

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Asking for a friend.

Can we not do whatever this is?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

glwgameplayer posted:

I don’t think that’s going to happen.

However you can discard ammo. It’s usually a bad idea and I’m pretty sure you have to like, stop moving entirely to do it. but if a weapon breaks and you still have a bunch of ammo in your mech waiting to explode, dropping it can be a good idea.

I’m sure we can come up with ways to use that factoid for humiliation purposes

There's a gif for that but I will let someone dig it out if the old thread.

Space Kablooey posted:

It's far more plausible than trying to teabag with a mech unless going up and down counts as movement.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I've laid out some valid methods of humiliation. I really have no preference about which ones the players choose to go with.

cactus bonk cactus bonk cactus bonk cactus bonk

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
DFA them into a mud hex, then cactus bonk.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
If you do manage to blow off one of his arms, the cactus bonk should be followed up with a "Stop hitting yourself" moment.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dump the Shadow Hawk's single ton of LRM-5 ammo, pick it up the next turn, and throw it at him.

The Shadow Hawk is 55 tons, so that 1 ton of ammo is 2% of its mass; which means it can be thrown up to 6 hexes for (the math always results in) 1 point of damage; at a scaling 0 to +5 penalty ToHit depending on how far away the target is.

This is not a serious suggestion.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Obviously, if it were a serious suggestion you'd use it as an improvised melee weapon

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Space Kablooey posted:

It's the Transformers 1 method.

Unfortunately.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It's a simulation so there's all kinds of nonsense you can get up to

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dump the Shadow Hawk's single ton of LRM-5 ammo, pick it up the next turn, and throw it at him.

The Shadow Hawk is 55 tons, so that 1 ton of ammo is 2% of its mass; which means it can be thrown up to 6 hexes for (the math always results in) 1 point of damage; at a scaling 0 to +5 penalty ToHit depending on how far away the target is.

This is not a serious suggestion.

If only you could rig the ammo to blow up. All those machine-gun ammo bins would be far more useful as mech-scale grenades.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Z the IVth posted:

If only you could rig the ammo to blow up. All those machine-gun ammo bins would be far more useful as mech-scale grenades.

There is a canonical vehicle that is just a trigger bomb for a bunch of machine gun ammo

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Alas, the Booby Trap component isn't functional in MegaMek yet, so there won't be any demotrucks or boomdoggies in this LP. There is an optional rule that allows ammunition explosions to damage adjacent units, but I'm not using it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, so I'm running the turn and the mud hexes don't seem to be forcing PSRs for getting bogged down, despite page 60 of TacOps saying they should. I've done some experimenting and they still cost 1 extra MP to enter and inflict a penalty on seatbelt checks for any unit standing in them. I've loaded up some other maps for further testing, and their mud hexes don't work either (though swamp hexes still do for some reason).

The current workaround I have in mind is to just manually apply all of the bogging down rules, physical dice-rolls and all. If a unit gets bogged down, I'll simply end its movement and have it stand still until it passes another PSR. There won't be a -2 bonus for anyone who tries to shoot at them, but sadly I can't do much about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Vehicles get bogged down in mud all the time, and running+turning in mud would routinely rip mech legs off, but the only time I've seen a mech get the actual bogged down status is when they jump into mud