Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

X-Ray says the Darkfriend Social is in Tel'aran'rhiod as well.

I typoed, I meant episode 1 of this season. The social.

Hexel posted:

The TAR symbol is on the vase that Liandrin smashes during Nynaeve’s test.

Sorta. There's a swirl, but it ties into the symbol of the aes sedai.

To me that doesn't really imply the actual symbology of TAR like that candle clearly does, cause it's seems to be more of an extension of the flame and fang. But like, it's similar enough that it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I think this thread is the only place online for "very interested in this show as an adaptation, not upset about all the changes, but wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else".

Yeah, I'm fine with them changing some stuff up because it's impossible (and would be bad) to cram 10,000+ pages into a TV show and the nature of TV means some things are going to have to change since you can't replace cast members whenever an immortal gets cut up or someone gets stilled* and sometimes an actor will just leave the show for ~*~reasons~*~ and you need to pivot.

But the show is also suffering from being cut down to 8 episodes a season, plagued with studio notes, and has suffered multiple production shutdowns outside of its control that have all made it not a great production. Oh, and the guy they cast as Rand is bad at acting. I'm still interested in where they go with it as a curiosity but it's not good TV.

*this change with Moiraine is one I really don't like and think has made the show much worse

Joementum fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 11, 2023

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I'm not sure anyone has ever solved the problem of needing to write filler to keep an actor around when the character drops out of the source material, which is what's going on with Moiraine.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I'm not sure anyone has ever solved the problem of needing to write filler to keep an actor around when the character drops out of the source material, which is what's going on with Moiraine.

She doesn't do much in TGH, true, but once Rand goes to the Waste she becomes a lot more important and that's supposedly happening this season, probably next episode (edit: I think they have to head to Falme next or nothing's going to work). I think what happened is that someone said "Moiraine's too powerful, we need to give her character a challenge to overcome" and their solution was to take away her power.

But the challenge her character is supposed to overcome is that Rand doesn't trust her and refuses her advice. Instead, the show has had him follow her along without much complaint from the start, to a somewhat ridiculous degree at the end of the last episode.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 11, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I do wonder what their plan is for her killing off Lanfear. It’s such a big moment for a lot of characters, if she just kinda stays, a takes a lot of character motivations away.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
When in doubt, balefire.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Joementum posted:

She doesn't do much in TGH, true, but once Rand goes to the Waste she becomes a lot more important and that's supposedly happening this season, probably next episode (edit: I think they have to head to Falme next or nothing's going to work). I think what happened is that someone said "Moiraine's too powerful, we need to give her character a challenge to overcome" and their solution was to take away her power.
Season finale is Falme. Why would Rand need to go to the Waste? That is book 4 stuff.

vvv Egwene hasn’t even been captured yet. Falme (the battle) can’t be episode 6. Rand hasn’t even captured the Stone yet. Why would he head to the Waste? They haven’t even introduced any real Aiel yet.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 11, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

DTurtle posted:

Season finale is Falme. Why would Rand need to go to the Waste?

The way the pacing in this show is simultaneously plodding and character oriented, and lightning fast burning through huge book plotlines all at once, I wouldn't be surprised if Falme is like episode 6 and Rand hops into Rhuidean in the finale. Episode 7 will be dedicated to Lan and Moiraine being mad at each other for 70 minutes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DTurtle posted:

Season finale is Falme. Why would Rand need to go to the Waste? That is book 4 stuff.

vvv Egwene hasn’t even been captured yet. Falme (the battle) can’t be episode 6. Rand hasn’t even captured the Stone yet. Why would he head to the Waste? They haven’t even introduced any real Aiel yet.

This is show production spoiler stuff so some of the actors playing Aiel were teased before the season started and Aviendha is credited in three episodes this season

But I agree, a lot of stuff gets hosed up if they don't resolve Falme before heading to the Waste because Egwene needs to come with them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joementum posted:

This is show production spoiler stuff so some of the actors playing Aiel were teased before the season started and Aviendha is credited in three episodes this season

The Aiel start showing up from the middle of book 2, it doesn't mean they're going into the Waste

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I think this thread is the only place online for "very interested in this show as an adaptation, not upset about all the changes, but wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else".

Yeah you nailed it

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I think it's possible that they're going to throw a swerve at expectations and have Falme happen in E6, with them journeying to the Waste afterward. I think Rhuidean (or at least coming into sight of the city) probably makes sense as a cliffhanger ending . There are production photos and scenes in the trailers that show Rand in a place that looks A LOT like the Waste. Could be a dream or foretelling, though.

I think they've decided to mix things up and have the fall of the Stone happen AFTER Rand's journey to the waste.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Joementum posted:

But I agree, a lot of stuff gets hosed up if they don't resolve Falme before heading to the Waste because Egwene needs to come with them.
They are very clearly replacing Gaul being captured with Aviendha and pulling forward his (now her) rescue to next episode.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I wouldn't be too concerned about skipped locations. The show can introduce them once teleportation is in play if they're critical.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

In what book does skimming and traveling first appear i forget?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rand started using it in FoH. It's implied earlier.

E: the end of the first book has to be some kinda traveling even tho it isn't named there

E2: I'm wrong. The end of the fourth book Rand uses it to go to Rhuidean

E3: lol the end of the third book Rand follows Ishamael into Telanrhoid (sp?) then back into the real world which basically gave him the idea to travel and skim

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 11, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

In what book does skimming and traveling first appear i forget?

He skims to chase Asmo in TSR

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They could find one of those traveling stones that showed up in TGH, even if they obviously won’t be how Rand meets Lanfear.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
They could just put them there and never explain how they got there or how much time had passed

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea probably since that’s what they’ve been doing so far.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
[extremely Bayle Domon voice]

Moiraine Sedai, I do be finding this scroll that do be titled “Traveling: How To”. You do be wanting it?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Rand started using it in FoH. It's implied earlier.

E: the end of the first book has to be some kinda traveling even tho it isn't named there

E2: I'm wrong. The end of the fourth book Rand uses it to go to Rhuidean

E3: lol the end of the third book Rand follows Ishamael into Telanrhoid (sp?) then back into the real world which basically gave him the idea to travel and skim
Very technically, travelling appears in the prologue of EotW. And then, of course, Rand teleports somehow to Tarwin's Gap and uses something that looks like but definitely can't be skimming to get to Ishy. EotW was weird that way.

Functionally, yeah, we get a TAR portal at the end of TDR, skimming at the end of TSR, and travelling at the end of TFOH.

e: Actually, wait, I take it back. I don't think we really know enough about skimmimg to be able to say that it wasn't in EotW.

bio347 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 12, 2023

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

It seems likely that they're folding a lot of book 3 into book 2. So i assume the season will end at falme, then season 3 will at least start with the wastes/the two rivers with my current guess being that the white tower split happens earlier and they have that be elayne/nyns plot and skip the circus/tancheco

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Couldn't that have been a mistake? The set up scene lists 'Somewhere in Tairhien'

Makes a lot more sense for someone's child to be at the meeting if it's not in TAR. My immediate thought upon seeing the child running around during a darkfriend meeting was that they are at the home of one of the darkfriends and the child is that darkfriend's child.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Every time she shows up I mourn Robert Z'dar anew..

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nion posted:

Makes a lot more sense for someone's child to be at the meeting if it's not in TAR. My immediate thought upon seeing the child running around during a darkfriend meeting was that they are at the home of one of the darkfriends and the child is that darkfriend's child.

It was weird that it said the whole thing took place in the dream world. I just figured it was like how in the books the Forsaken would just compel someone random noble somewhere and take their poo poo, especially as why would Trollocs and a kid be there?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Humble bundle has all the WoT comics for $18, plus some other extremely thirsty looking comics
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...ooks_bookbundle

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

In the books it says that normal people can touch T'A'R in their sleep accidentally, like if you have an especially vivid nightmare it could have happened there. That little girl just happened to have the worst, most vivid nightmare ever where she's getting chased by trollocs into a horrible looking dismal mansion and there's all these Forsaken around a table and the big-nosed one picks her up and talks to her about monsters and takes her back outside to touch a monster, but it wasn't mean after that mommy, it was kinda funny. And then I woke up!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

You make it animated

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Every time she shows up I mourn Robert Z'dar anew..

One of the recent episodes mentioned her "cheekbones" and I was like .... I guess,

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Finally got caught up, and I'm still firmly in the "enjoying the show for what it is, it's better than the end of s1 for obvious reasons, it's not an extremely faithful adaptation but I never expected one" camp.

Lanfear is much more competent and scary in the show imo, a bit less of the "ha ha you fell for my cunning disguise, I'm actually slightly older and hotter".

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea probably since that’s what they’ve been doing so far.

I'm still working my way through the thread but I had to hop forward to ask - my dude, do you secretly hate these books? I have never seen someone post so consistently and vehemently negatively about something they supposedly enjoy. Actually, no, that's a lie, I've seen it on LOTR and Doctor Who discussions

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just got thru the Egwene Power montage in KoD and what a loving montage it was. Egwene consolidating and combining all the hosed up and hardening experiences she has withstood, from being captured as a damane, to becoming an Auel basically, to dominating a Forsaken, to gently caress poo poo up in the Tower and just roll over everyone.

It's the apotheosis of her character development in the series so far and it's a wonder and joy to read. It also combines Jordan's best and worst traits as an author. Best for the above and how 11 books of buildup enhances and elevates everything.

And worst because, and so Jordan-y, it centers on Egwene coming to enjoy being spanked.

Robert Jordan, you gotta love him loooool.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wouldn’t have read every book if I “secretly hated” it. If you want absolute gushing over it then go to Reddit or dm Cainfortea.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

We know from a season trailer that there's a big scene between Rand and Siuan where they discuss how he doesn't want to be a spoke on the wheel and she's like "My brother in Creator, what are you talking about?" If that happens in Episode 6, then Falme is probably the season finale and all that talk about how they're cramming all of books 2 and 3 together was wrong. If it happens after Falme because Falme is Episode 6, the Stone of Tear is absolutely the season finale. One of those two events will pay off that conversation as the climax of the season to set up the next phase of Rand's journey.

No way in the world they do the entire Waste storyline in ONE episode to end with Rhuidean, which is what people are suggesting if they think it'll be the finale because then Falme has to be Ep. 6 and the Stone Ep. 7. The number of characters and amount of world building they'd need to cram into an hour would make Season 1 look like a 52 episode anime season.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They've said book 4 is season 3.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If Tear was going to be the finale I think they'd have done more to set it up by now. It's not been mentioned once this season

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

If I’m being brutally honest TSR, FoH, and LoC are the height of the series for me so I’m fine with them doing a lot of their condensing in the other arcs.

Frankly if we don’t even hear the words “bowl of winds” in the tv show I’ll be fine with it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Speaking of the Stone of Tear, am I the only person who thought it was really weird that The Sword That Is Not A Sword never once played into Aiel beliefs regarding swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Me Hates Me
Sep 27, 2018
I wonder if they'll save the stone of tear for a later season since in the books Rand uses Callandor once then sticks it back into the floor for several books.

They could also wait to introduce balefire until whatever season Rand fights Rahvin.