Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Make games you morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Imagine the raw, sexual energy created when you whip out an Xbox credit card out to pay for your date's McDonalds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I used to get some weird GamesPass or Microsoft popups about earning points by clicking there and thought I got some weird virus somehow at first. I don't think it was gamerscore points and I don't remember what they eventually could be exchanged for but I'm pretty sure I turned it off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Imagine the raw, sexual energy created when you whip out an Xbox credit card out to pay for your date's McDonalds.

They shoulda made an Xbox phone bc who is even carrying cards anymore they got the tap things everywhere

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Khanstant posted:

I used to get some weird GamesPass or Microsoft popups about earning points by clicking there and thought I got some weird virus somehow at first. I don't think it was gamerscore points and I don't remember what they eventually could be exchanged for but I'm pretty sure I turned it off.

If I'm playing a game on my Xbox and my PC is on at the same time I get that notification sound twice because I haven't figured out how to stop the Xbox app sending notifications yet. They were Bing Rewards but I think got renamed Microsoft Rewards and some people go crazy min/maxing them because if you go hardcore enough on them you can get enough credit to pay for Game Pass every month. Anyway

Gaius Marius posted:

Make games you morons

Khanstant posted:

They shoulda made an Xbox phone bc who is even carrying cards anymore they got the tap things everywhere

The old Windows Phone I have still has the Xbox app on it because that's how they branded the games store on Windows Phone. It doesn't work any more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I do the Microsoft points every once in a while. I've got enough for one free month, but I'm hoping to be able to redeem the three by the time the Game Pass I have from Samsung giving me a free gift card runs out.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/evynfong/status/1701426681473548544/photo/1

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Propaganda Hour posted:

Look at that subtle offwhite coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God. It even has a watermark.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

"accidentally" dropping my Xbox credit card at GameStop to impress all the ladies there. It proudly shows my gamerscore. I bet they'll love it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I just tried playing Trover Saves the Universe, not sure what I was thinking. Even if it weren’t a gimmicky, simplistic VR game that’s been functionally but awkwardly converted to 2D screens, it’s still way more Justin Roiland than I could take after only a level and a half

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you cant top the talking gun from Roger Rabbit then your gun shouldn't talk

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khanstant posted:

If you cant top the talking gun from Roger Rabbit then your gun shouldn't talk
It features talking bullets, not a talking gun.
(And a singing sword)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:actually: there was no talking gun in Roger Rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqo9K_q3oQ&t=8s

Film still holds up on rewatches. It's great :allears:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

love to finally get to see some planets other players discovered first

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chev posted:

It features talking bullets, not a talking gun.
(And a singing sword)

Well y'all can shoot the messenger because those bullets were fun I'll be fine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

REMEMBER ME WAR THUNDER?

WHEN I LEAKED THE NIGHTHAWK MANUALS

I POSTED

JUST.

LIKE.

THIS.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been playing etrian odyssey 3 when I can, it is good wholesome fun (some of the anime portraits are horny but that’s ok). Good game for long bus rides and train rides.

I believe the remaster added the option to “auto map” the dungeon to a small degree, I.e. it adds walls and floors to the map automatically as you move across them, which is a godsend. Personally I get no joy out of drawing maps in these games,I like the exploring ofc and writing little notes, but dragging a door icon on top of a tile that has a door feels like busywork

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Drawing dungeon maps seems like it would be a real hassle without a stylus. It wasn't super great with one on the DS either, now that I think about it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dungeon crawlers should go back to when you had to get your graph paper out to draw a real map.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Dungeon crawlers should go back to when you had to get your graph paper out to draw a real map.

Here you go https://store.steampowered.com/app/2395150/Demon_Lord_Reincarnation/

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Drawing on graph paper is cool but the crushing shame when I realise I started too close to the edge and I'm going to run out of space is very powerful.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Plus the good ol wizardry 7 thing where you're gonna find out the hard way a bit of the map can't be correctly aligned.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KenneyNL/status/1701582491805495596?t=DoClX3SbN_0oeRdezSR8xw&s=19

Unity destroying themselves. This applies retroactively and also to free games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is that 200,000 usd revenue and 200,000 installs threshold reasonable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i was kinda iffy on getting the EO games on Switch because using the stylus to map seemed like part of the appeal of the game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It sounds like you have to hit both the install and revenue limits to be required to pay so if your game is truly free and doesn’t ever ask for money from players you won’t have to pay

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So it applies to $200k in the last 12 months, and 200k lifetime installs. Sounds like you need an update & non-(trivially)compatible re-release every 190k downloads.

Who is tracking the installs? Does unity phone home with that info?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it has that ability, unity has really good telemetry. I'm assuming they mean installs in some dumbass marketing sense that really means sales units but is also inclusive of f2p games though, because the whole company has been taken over by marketing brainrot in the past couple years

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The per-installation fee is a deranged idea. This also requires developers to place their trust in Unity's analytics since presumably they're going to get a bill that has very little correlation to any verifiable data on their end (since an install isn't a sale and presumably also includes pirated copies, re-installs, users who installed it on 5 devices, etc.) There will be no way to verify that Unity isn't just cooking the numbers and charging devs whatever they feel like. As worded I'm not entirely sure that John Riccitiello himself couldn't just install your game 300,000 times to fund his new bathroom.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

haveblue posted:

It sounds like you have to hit both the install and revenue limits to be required to pay so if your game is truly free and doesn’t ever ask for money from players you won’t have to pay

Yeah but 20 cents per user per month sounds devastating for f2p games that rely on huge playerbases of non-paying users. Especially mobile which they're currently trying to branch out to. Although they did mention a discount for using some unity branded ad service so maybe this whole change is just to push that.

It's also just a PITA for non live service games without recurring revenue streams.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sounding very Wizards of the Coast with that rug pull.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah but 20 cents per user per month sounds devastating for f2p games that rely on huge playerbases of non-paying users. Especially mobile which they're currently trying to branch out to. Although they did mention a discount for using some unity branded ad service so maybe this whole change is just to push that.

It's also just a PITA for non live service games without recurring revenue streams.
*some unity branded ad service that they recently paid $4b for and it turning out no one is really interested in using

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Am I reading it right? It's effectively punishing you for your game doing too good, right?

Also clicking though it's apparently being applied retroactively to Unity games already on the market.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Electric Phantasm posted:

Am I reading it right? It's effectively punishing you for your game doing too good, right?

Also clicking though it's apparently being applied retroactively to Unity games already on the market.
Having to pay after a certain level of success is a pretty normal licensing agreement (that's how Unreal Engine works), but usually it's a relatively small fraction of revenue and not a flat incremental amount decoupled from sales that could theoretically add up to more than you even made in the first place.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I mean "punishment", it's just a royalty, only collected in the most rear end backwards way because they've spent a decade marketing off their lack of royalties vs UE (and epics royalty doesn't kick in at this point until $1m in revenue lmao). mostly people are pissed off because of it's abruptness, the aforementioned rear end backwardness, and also it just continuing a trend of the decline of unity

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Volte posted:

Having to pay after a certain level success is a pretty normal licensing agreement (that's how Unreal Engine works), but usually it's a relatively small fraction of revenue and not a flat incremental amount decoupled from sales that could theoretically add up to more than you even made in the first place.

homeless snail posted:

I mean "punishment", it's just a royalty, only collected in the most rear end backwards way because they've spent a decade marketing off their lack of royalties vs UE (and epics royalty doesn't kick in at this point until $1m in revenue lmao)

Got it, thank you for clarifying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It took me five years but I got the final cheevo in Destiny 2 Forsaken

Don't do that btw

Queenswalk is a pretty great encounter though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Unity devs just swap over to UE5. It's fun and free

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Until it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Unity devs just swap over to UE5. It's fun and free
if I was gonna swap to anything it'd be godot