Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm really curious to see Sam Campbell, every comedian who talks about him being on it is basically bigging him up so massively I feel like he can only disappoint.

I suppose I could go and watch some of his stuff separately and probably get some hints as to why they're so excited but that requires time and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

itry posted:

Maybe she thought they were all lame. Or maybe it was just... the cool thing to do. :c00l:

Edit: Supplementary material for NZ Ep. 8

https://shows.acast.com/bananapod

https://shows.acast.com/vaguely-interesting

Impressive they managed to come in over the time limit even after editing out all of Ray's horribly racist comments.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I knew Sue Perkins wouldn't be able to avoid the show for much longer.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm really curious to see Sam Campbell, every comedian who talks about him being on it is basically bigging him up so massively I feel like he can only disappoint.

I suppose I could go and watch some of his stuff separately and probably get some hints as to why they're so excited but that requires time and effort.

I have watched some of his stuff on this basis and eh, wasn't really impressed. I've been wrong before though (John Kearns) so good luck to him.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
TMNZ continues to hit it out of the park. The task concepts are routinely the best out there.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Unkempt posted:

I have watched some of his stuff on this basis and eh, wasn't really impressed. I've been wrong before though (John Kearns) so good luck to him.

Yeah I checked out some of his standup and did not like it at all. But it was very non-standard and out there which could end up making him a great taskmaster contestant if he takes that energy to the tasks.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Boxturret posted:

Impressive they managed to come in over the time limit even after editing out all of Ray's horribly racist comments.

That is just how much he loves bananas. He could talk about them for hours.

Paladinus posted:

I knew Sue Perkins wouldn't be able to avoid the show for much longer.

:sickos:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lucy Beaumont is off-kilter in a way that should work well for Taskmaster.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Watching Mel and Ray recapping E7-8 and apparently Pearl DID score everyone on coolness! Presumably Jeremy was just provided with the results to score afterwards.

The 5 scoring categories were apparently: vibe-check, style, chill factor, non-cringe and hits different.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MikeJF posted:

Lucy Beaumont is off-kilter in a way that should work well for Taskmaster.

I never watched Meet the Richardsons, but she was always fun on Countdown.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
We're only a few days away from the TM NZ finale, but we've also got the S16 trailer to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkJI5OK3He0

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
sam campbell is great... beautiful mind on that little guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9sdbuYZyk
^ feat. nina oyama and danielle walker

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I, too, can't believe Mel beat Scrub Daddy.

I like Bubbah but I feel like Jeremy is over-rewarding her antics in the prize tasks. Every episode she's like "Here's some random poo poo that I will bullshit into fitting the category!" and he's like "5 points".
Scrub Daddy maybe didn't deserve 5, but 1?? c'mon it's giving a blow job to spoon

itry
Aug 23, 2019

To be fair, all of those objects were pretty bad.

(Ep. 10) All the tasks were pretty good. The cookie task looked really fun. What the heck are foot pads?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thinking back, Karen was consistently underscored on prize tasks. Bubbah's prizes were fine, and I enjoyed the bullshitting, but Karen should have had at least 8 extra points throughout the series.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I can't recall all of the prize tasks from this season, but I guess a cutesy chunk of polyurethane deserves an extra point over a metaphor for listening.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 12, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

SCRUB DADDY WAS NOT ONE POINT AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Karen just wasn't ever on Jeremy's wavelength, she was scored below average almost any time the task was subjective. I had high hopes for her, but it wasn't to be. At least she got to shine in the egg task. The end-of-season costumes were a superb move, topping even the UK S9 cast. And the detective task was chock-a-block with fun details - like the fish poster in the shed turning into red herrings, or the impressive practical effects in the security cam footage.

Didn't post about the taskathon from yesterday's episode yet. Interesting to see how many clips from the intro came from this one task - although then again this one task had thirty plus tasks within it. I also think "Remove an item of clothing" was meant to invite an alternate reading - it doesn't say it has to be your clothing, so why not take off Paul's jacket instead... I was left pondering about those tasks Ray uncovered on Paul. Was the winning edge that the tasks there were simpler? Or that you didn't need to spend time searching for the next task? Or both? The downside of this fun concept for a task is that it has to be condensed so much in the edit - so it wasn't clear what consumed all the time for the other four.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

the impressive practical effects in the security cam footage.

That was very well done. For a brief moment I was convinced it was a real living fish flopping around somehow.

Heavy_D posted:

Was the winning edge that the tasks there were simpler? Or that you didn't need to spend time searching for the next task? Or both? The downside of this fun concept for a task is that it has to be condensed so much in the edit - so it wasn't clear what consumed all the time for the other four.

Some of the tasks were the same as the ones hidden in the room, but a lot of them were really simple like 'clap' or 'stick your tongue out'.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda disappointed no one drew the Shakespeare task.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Karen just wasn't ever on Jeremy's wavelength, she was scored below average almost any time the task was subjective. I had high hopes for her, but it wasn't to be. At least she got to shine in the egg task. The end-of-season costumes were a superb move, topping even the UK S9 cast. And the detective task was chock-a-block with fun details - like the fish poster in the shed turning into red herrings, or the impressive practical effects in the security cam footage.

Didn't post about the taskathon from yesterday's episode yet. Interesting to see how many clips from the intro came from this one task - although then again this one task had thirty plus tasks within it. I also think "Remove an item of clothing" was meant to invite an alternate reading - it doesn't say it has to be your clothing, so why not take off Paul's jacket instead... I was left pondering about those tasks Ray uncovered on Paul. Was the winning edge that the tasks there were simpler? Or that you didn't need to spend time searching for the next task? Or both? The downside of this fun concept for a task is that it has to be condensed so much in the edit - so it wasn't clear what consumed all the time for the other four.

Remove an item of clothing was clearly meant to get them to see the Shakespeare task.

There did not seem to be any difficult or time consuming tasks on Paul, which is mostly why it was the winner.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Remove an item of clothing was clearly meant to get them to see the Shakespeare task.

i caught Paul at the start of Melanie's watch back last night and apparently no, nobody thought that far ahead on that lmao

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Finally caught up. I'm a little disappointed that my favorite didn't win, but this was a really good cast all around and I loved them all.

Not quite as good as s2 but easily my second favorite TMNZ.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I really loved the part where Karen undid Ray's shoe with her teeth in the studio, the way Paul needed a second to recover before moving on was wonderful.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paul is one of those people who appear to be blushing 99% of the time.

TM UK is starting to release contestant interviews for the new series. Here's Julian Clary dunking on Horne for ~9 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7f3imY4Pw

I quite like this interview format.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 15, 2023

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Why did I have to look up more info about Dai? Now I'm supersad.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
TM:NZ 2>4>1>3. Makes for a simple rhyming mnemonic. Final episode costumes were fantastic. It's taken how many seasons of TM worldwide for a crew to do that?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think I liked 3 more than 1; it really picked up in the back half.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Organic Lube User posted:

Why did I have to look up more info about Dai? Now I'm supersad.
Personal tragedy or milkshake duck?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Pablo Bluth posted:

Personal tragedy or milkshake duck?

metastatic cancer

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Leraika posted:

I think I liked 3 more than 1; it really picked up in the back half.

Same. 2>3>4>1.

The middle 2 are probably the only really arguable positions. I don't see how anyone could disagree with 1 as being the worst, and while 2 isn't quite as obvious I think disagreement would be fairly rare.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
S3 is super hard to judge, because it lives in the shadow of the best season of all time for all languages. And because both 3 and 4 seemed to get stronger after the first few episodes, whereas 1 was kind of the same fineish quality throughout.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

itry posted:

Paul is one of those people who appear to be blushing 99% of the time.

TM UK is starting to release contestant interviews for the new series. Here's Julian Clary dunking on Horne for ~9 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7f3imY4Pw

I quite like this interview format.

This was fantastic, he's just roasting the man.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
NZ1 didn't have as much of a particular big impression but I liked it. Okay Taskmaster is still extremely good and the panel had good personalities. 3 is in a similar spot but Chris Parker's absurdly flexible mind sticks out imo.

I think the thing that separates NZ2 and 4 is similar to the thing that separates fans who prefer the competitive edge to fans who are mainly about the goofy personalities. A lot of NZ2's draw is just its unbelievable cast chemistry and how often they were let loose to be weird. NZ4 meanwhile was on another level with its tasks messing with the contestants, and there weren't any contestants who were notably strong or the obvious joke one. Even when Karen was lagging behind it was pretty tight all the way through.

It's not an absolute thing - 2 obviously invented the betrayal task, for instance, and 4 had some really good creative/interactive tasks like the impression one and the marry/breakup saga - but they're on opposite sides of the line for me. I appreciate how complementary they are in a way.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Thank gently caress for a season of Kongen Befaler that isn't filled with theatre kids who have learned that if you can't be funny, being loud is a great alternative!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Season 1 is absolutely buoyed up by Angela being the best prize task contestant from any iteration (and a top contestant overall.) Also the “best desert” task is an all timer.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I really love the Libya song, the way the clock runs out and Paul refuses to keep playing, then the guitar smash. Really a lot of the interactions between Paul and his brother are so good.

The cassette tape task this season, with all the decoy tapes that had songs from previous seasons was so fun.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Even though S2 was overall stronger, S3 is where the quality of tasks improved significantly (not that it was bad to begin with). This series probably ties for me with S2, honestly. I don't think anyone will ever be able to top David Correos, but Bubbah was fantastic and is easily in my top 10 contestants across all Anglophone versions.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Boxturret posted:

I really love the Libya song, the way the clock runs out and Paul refuses to keep playing, then the guitar smash. Really a lot of the interactions between Paul and his brother are so good.

The cassette tape task this season, with all the decoy tapes that had songs from previous seasons was so fun.

I keep meaning to ask this: does the Libya song ripoff another song? It's so insanely catchy to me I don't want to believe he just came up with it during the task.

Also speaking of very short songs I love, Kiell's "compose a solo" from s15e02 is always stuck in my head too. The melody is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Finished the last episode. The series started off a bit shaky but really came together by the end, super enjoyable. The cookie task was brilliant, as was the team of 3's reaction to it.

I think my favourite bit was "Farewellanie Melanie, how are you going to do that for everyone"> Farewellanie Ray

Also Paul eating that egg, and the way it just lingered on it, was amazing.