Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Played my first game of 10th, and first game of WH40k at all in in 12 years. 1,000 points freshly painted grey knights (15 terminators, librarian, ven dread)

Opponent was Chaos Knights (COOL), big knight said no deep strike within 12" of him (uh oh) and the mission upped that aura range by 50% (double uh oh).

It uh, did not go well for my GKs. Lost a rough 1st game and was quickly tabled in the second. Highlight: Librarian nuked himself with psychic powers in both games, fatally in the second.

gently caress yeah feels good to be rolling dice with toy soliders again. Also drat chaos knights are cool, feeling the itch for my second army for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol maybe ask your friend to play with a more normal army to get you back into the game after a decade?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, is there a way i can make a detachment of orks thats only gretchin, squigs, squighogs,Squigosaurs, beastboss on squigosaur, mozrod skragbad and Zogrot Worstsnagga?

That sounds like an immensely wierd and fun army i coule totally see myself getting into if i ever make an ork force lol

Isn't that just a Snakebite warband?

Wow, I can't believe I remember the name of the Ork clans.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Samovar posted:

Isn't that just a Snakebite warband?

Wow, I can't believe I remember the name of the Ork clans.

Iirc snakebites were "primitive" and would have all the squig stuff, but not necessarily be full of Gretchen

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

Chaos knights are awesome but war dogs haven’t been in stock anywhere for like nine months

I found 2 boxes at the Warhammer store in Manchester when I was there for Warhammer Fest and it felt like winning the lottery.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

what the hell is this unit?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

titty_baby_ posted:

Iirc snakebites were "primitive" and would have all the squig stuff, but not necessarily be full of Gretchen
Given that Zodgrod is a Snakebite character and can only be joined to Gretchen (because he's a special weirdo runtherd) and there are grots tagging along with several Beast Snagga units I'm pretty sure that Gretchen are completely normal for Snakebites.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What do you guys think of this list? is this a viable 1000 point army? this is probably what I'll try way the future if I ever make an ork army:-

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Al-Saqr posted:

what the hell is this unit?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Sporocyst

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

PharmerBoy posted:

Literally everything Tyranid is out-of-stock on GW right now except for the Parasite of Mortex and barbguants.

I was lucky and was able to get a couple Maleceptors from the GW webstore before they sold out. I had to spend 3 hours driving to multiple stores to pick up all the nids I needed. I called about 15 stores trying to find Venomthropes. Lucked out and found a mom and pop hobby store that has no web presence that had 2 left.

Pretty sure if I ever found War Dogs I could pay for my next vacation.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I finally finished the infantry for my IG Combat Patrol. I made them wysiwyg so I can stop forgetting what my troops are actually equipped with. (Radios have no effect in combat patrol, so I added them for future standard play)

I still need to scratch build a plasma cannon for one of my half painted Armoured Sentinels (and finish painting it) before I'm done with the project. Here's the painted stuff so far:

The paint jobs are intentionally pretty simple, they were originally a speed painting project. Anyway, they look fine as an army.

Bonus picture comparing my two platoon standards. I've realised that I really like painting flags, I haven't done that since I stopped painting Wood Elves before the whole Age of Sigmar thing.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

What do you guys think of this list? is this a viable 1000 point army? this is probably what I'll try way the future if I ever make an ork army:-

It might have some issues with Gretchin as the only Infantry blobs in a force that small.

Everything else will do well against Vehicle and Monster heavy armies, with good speed and maneuverability...but won't be quite as effective against infantry focused lists.

EDIT: You want to try to get Beast Snaggas in if you're running a Beastboss.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 10, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

What did you use to make this? I actually wanted to make a similar post with what I'm thinking of, before I start spending money

On a similar note, how many vehicles is too many vehicles? For my list, starting from the Sister's combat patrol I wanted to add an Exorcist tank and a Triumph of St Catherine because they're both so cool looking, but including the APC that comes with the combat patrol, that's a fair amount of vehicles for 1000 points I imagine

That puts me around 800 points, which means I'm presuming I'd want to pick up another leader or just some cheap filler units to take objectives/hold points

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

On a similar note, how many vehicles is too many vehicles?

when you have too few units to effectively control the board. hulls and objective control chaff is a very common archetype in 10th

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

What did you use to make this? I actually wanted to make a similar post with what I'm thinking of, before I start spending money

On a similar note, how many vehicles is too many vehicles? For my list, starting from the Sister's combat patrol I wanted to add an Exorcist tank and a Triumph of St Catherine because they're both so cool looking, but including the APC that comes with the combat patrol, that's a fair amount of vehicles for 1000 points I imagine

That puts me around 800 points, which means I'm presuming I'd want to pick up another leader or just some cheap filler units to take objectives/hold points

It's New Recruit, in my opinion the best army builder available right now.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Was at a GW store recently and saw stacks of Leviathan boxes, and they seem widely available online.

Is it worth having some FOMO and grabbing a copy for rules and a discount on a future SM/nid army, or were these printed so heavily they will be kicking around for years?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I would expect them to be pretty easy to find for a while but they also aren't going to get any cheaper :shrug:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They'll be a lot harder to find after the SM codex drops and something already in Leviathan is underproduced for the launch.

All the SM hype is going to encourage people to buy and break up sets.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would expect them to be pretty easy to find for a while but they also aren't going to get any cheaper :shrug:

Third party retailers with excess Leviathan stock may well include it in their next black Friday sale to free up shelf space. I saw a few places do that with Dominion and last year's HH products.

From next year it will start to get rarer and more expensive tho.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A bunch of the stuff I wanted was on sale on Amazon, so I've got it coming my way :hellyeah:

Now I gotta watch the painting videos in the op, but I guess the first thing is going to be getting everything assembled so I can do some testing while I decide on my last units and color scheme

I definitely want to make my sisters more of a light colored paint scheme

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Note the Triumph is an infantry leader that can go with your squad of Battle Sisters.

You might want some Celestian Sacresants for the Canoness if the triumph is leading the regular sisters squad. A special character worth taking might be Demonifuge, who's good at objectives. A box of Retributors for some heavy weapons (a little cutting and you should also be able to graft a spare heavy weapon one of your combat patrol sisters, ie turn the regular flamer into a heavy flamer, it's the same points!).
Crusaders are super cheap chaff for standing on objectives but their default models are pretty fugly.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My favorite thing about SoB are the cool and weird special characters. They remind me of WHF and the peasants carrying the skeletal knights!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I wish I could settle on a color scheme for my sisters of battle. I've had them primed for a very long time and I've just never settled on anything I really liked. It doesn't help that they're like, the fiddliest army to paint so I would like to have it pretty locked in so I don't restart a bunch.

May just do something wildly saturated and then soak everything in streaking grime and have the grimmest darkest sisters.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

What are your top 5 color considerations?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Boy I sure hate Cryptothralls. I couldn’t even scratch his army. Luckily the mission didn’t involve killing so I was able to win but that was unfun.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

A bunch of the stuff I wanted was on sale on Amazon, so I've got it coming my way :hellyeah:

Now I gotta watch the painting videos in the op,

Yes! Finally my OP was good for something!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I wish I could settle on a color scheme for my sisters of battle. I've had them primed for a very long time and I've just never settled on anything I really liked. It doesn't help that they're like, the fiddliest army to paint so I would like to have it pretty locked in so I don't restart a bunch.
Same. I'm stuck between the classic black, the classic red, and bone armour that was posted in warcomm once.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Holy poo poo Goonhammers app now supports keeping track of Leviathan Crusade progress, incredible!

https://twitter.com/goonhammer/status/1700917985949421816?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

hoiyes posted:

Note the Triumph is an infantry leader that can go with your squad of Battle Sisters.

You might want some Celestian Sacresants for the Canoness if the triumph is leading the regular sisters squad. A special character worth taking might be Demonifuge, who's good at objectives. A box of Retributors for some heavy weapons (a little cutting and you should also be able to graft a spare heavy weapon one of your combat patrol sisters, ie turn the regular flamer into a heavy flamer, it's the same points!).
Crusaders are super cheap chaff for standing on objectives but their default models are pretty fugly.

That's a great point yeah, and they were one of the additional units I was thinking of getting (and were on sale as well) so I grabbed them

hoiyes posted:

Same. I'm stuck between the classic black, the classic red, and bone armour that was posted in warcomm once.

I was thinking either white armor with red and gold accents or red armor with white and gold accents

Considering I've never painted anything before though, I'm worried that a white base might actually be harder to do because it'll show literally any mistakes :v:. Seems like you could do some cool weathering/dirt effects though...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cooked Auto posted:

Still idly working on completing a run of WD's from like issue 270 to somewhere around 310. Mostly because that was kind of the part where I bought and read a whole bunch of them, and I'd love to complete the collection.

Send me a list and I’ll review what I got from it. I see no reason to keep mine and I have quite a few from 200- 350 or so.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's fine, just a random long term project.
Besides, shipping from the US to EU is murder these days anyway.
But I appreciate the gesture. :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cooked Auto posted:

It's fine, just a random long term project.
Besides, shipping from the US to EU is murder these days anyway.
But I appreciate the gesture. :)

Ah well.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Good deal alert: Found Cadia Stands box set for 120 USD on Amazon. Obviously the Codex and Army cards are no longer current, so that is why I suspect they are selling it at 40% off MSRP, but it is actually also 25% less than the combat patrol, so would be a cheaper option than the combat patrol at standard 15-20% discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Games-Worksh...32-63e904010ad0

Also, in fun news, I saw a facebook add for some random Chinese company selling Leviathan box sets at 50 bucks each or 2 for 80, so I loaded up a pre-paid Visa and decided to spin the wheel on that and see what sort of weird or odd Leviathan set I get, if anything. Will post pictures when it comes in, assuming it is anything interesting.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

aaaaand decided to sign up for a 2k RTT next month as motivation to actually finish building and painting a GK army, what could possibly go wrong?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Also, in fun news, I saw a facebook add for some random Chinese company selling Leviathan box sets at 50 bucks each or 2 for 80, so I loaded up a pre-paid Visa and decided to spin the wheel on that and see what sort of weird or odd Leviathan set I get, if anything. Will post pictures when it comes in, assuming it is anything interesting.

100% chance it's recast

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

100% chance it's recast

Hopefully a funny one

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

100% chance it's recast

Oh, yeah, big chance. Especially since they said they had such low prices because some of the boxes had damage or had been repackaged. I already have a Leviathan box I am painting so I am not too worried about what I might get. Kind of fun experiment!

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 12, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Oh, yeah, big chance. Especially since they said they had such low prices because some of the boxes had damage or had been repackaged. I already have a Leviathan box I am painting so I am not too worried about what I might get. Kind of fun experiment!

[URL redacted by mod]

I bought some out of print Kingdom Death from them a couple years ago. Thought my payment went into the ether and "oh gently caress it all" but then eventually what I paid for turned up. Quality... uh... original casts I was lucky enough to get somehow. Wink.

I'm not sure its a money saving exercise though. You'd best use them for good quality stuff you simply can't buy elsewhere.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 13, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Recaster provide a valuable service when they're casting out of print minis. That site has a bunch of rogue trader and other retro minis, neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sounds like Death Guard might actually have not only gotten out of dumpster tier but is actually competitive again?