Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like seafood but a lot of it can kill me

I used to love eating a bucket of mussels :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

Okay, so like I originally posted this in the sushi thread. Hit reply and it went through and I saw it posted there.

Then the post immediately disappeared.

So I posted it again with slightly different wording and it showed up in the sushi thread while this post wound up here. Like… what?

Or maybe I’m just a weenie doofus who posted in the wrong thread at first. What a fuckin’ weenie doofus :(

You're clearly in a state of derangement from eating too much bad sushi

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Biplane posted:

You're clearly in a state of derangement from eating too much bad sushi

:hmmyes:

I’m still a weenie doofus, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Things that have gotten shittier for no reason: Boomers

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
We're boomers ever not sh*tty?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Professor Shark posted:

I like seafood but a lot of it can kill me

I used to love eating a bucket of mussels :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqjza0JOYhk

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

We're boomers ever not sh*tty?

It was the Summer of 69!

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
That stray cat stopped coming around.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
God new Futurama is…woof. Sometimes dead is better

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Getting my late father’s truck back into service after having sat unused for 3+ years. It needed new front brakes and I was certain I’d done them before and got lifetime warranty on brake pads at Auto Zone at the time. The clerk couldn’t find any info in any of the names and warranties on all the cars in the system my family has owned going back to the mid-90s. Maybe I never changed them before? Huh.

No big deal, so I went ahead and bought a new set with lifetime warranty on them. Thing is, “lifetime warranty” now means the lifetime of this pair of pads only, which I get to replace free of charge once. The next time after that, I have to pay for them again. It wasn’t always like that. You’d buy a lifetime warranty auto part one time, and any time it failed or needed replacement, you’d swap out the core and were in and out of the store.

It’s how I haven’t (for the most part) had to pay for most poo poo for my car I’ve owned for 26 years because almost everything had lifetime warranty on it. Now that perk’s been taken away and it’s bullshit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Getting my late father’s truck back into service after having sat unused for 3+ years. It needed new front brakes and I was certain I’d done them before and got lifetime warranty on brake pads at Auto Zone at the time. The clerk couldn’t find any info in any of the names and warranties on all the cars in the system my family has owned going back to the mid-90s. Maybe I never changed them before? Huh.

No big deal, so I went ahead and bought a new set with lifetime warranty on them. Thing is, “lifetime warranty” now means the lifetime of this pair of pads only, which I get to replace free of charge once. The next time after that, I have to pay for them again. It wasn’t always like that. You’d buy a lifetime warranty auto part one time, and any time it failed or needed replacement, you’d swap out the core and were in and out of the store.

It’s how I haven’t (for the most part) had to pay for most poo poo for my car I’ve owned for 26 years because almost everything had lifetime warranty on it. Now that perk’s been taken away and it’s bullshit.

Sorry for the loss of your Father, brother.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s not what lifetime warranty means haha

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Yeah I'm pretty sure no one offers to replace wear items for just a core charge. That's a great loss leader if true.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Sorry for the loss of your Father, brother.

Thanks, brother. He passed in 2021and I think of him every day. Getting his truck on the road again has been fun and sweet.

euphronius posted:

That’s not what lifetime warranty means haha

It’s how Auto Zone has always labeled it? “Lifetime” means as long as you own the vehicle (the “life” of the car and not the part). Buy a set of brake pads in 1998 and as long as you still have the car, you get new ones free every time if you bought the “lifetime warranty” originally.

That’s no longer the case, though. Loss leader, but it was a great thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s how o would interpret it

I would also interpret it to mean “within the expected lifetime of the product” . But not “we will place it once”. That’s basically buy one get one free.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

euphronius posted:

But not “we will place it once”. That’s basically buy one get one free.

Lol yeah. Suckered me into a BOGO set of pads.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

euphronius posted:

That’s how o would interpret it

I would also interpret it to mean “within the expected lifetime of the product” . But not “we will place it once”. That’s basically buy one get one free.

Basically every company that has ever had a customer-friendly return policy has had to change it because of jackasses abusing the poo poo out of it. My favorites were people picking up piles of LL Bean stuff at thrift stores and then swapping it in bulk for brand new stuff, and Costco telling people they will no longer accept live Christmas tree returns after Christmas.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Lol yeah. Suckered me into a BOGO set of pads.

That's false advertising, I feel like you have a case for at least 35 million

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My Marriott Bonvoy Amex sure has gotten shittier.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Just saw on the news McDonald’s is gonna phase out the self-serve soda fountains for “hygiene concerns” and staff will fill customers’s cups for them.

Lol it’s because people request a cup for water and then blatantly get 30 free refills of Coke with it and don’t try to hide it.

Not that I eat at Mickey D’s because I don’t, but what’s stopping other places from doing this? Those Coke Freestyle machines better not disappear because drinking vanilla Seagram’s Ginger Ale with a burg’ & fries is like fine dining. Gotta lift a pinky when I take a sip.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Those freestyle machines are like half the reason I even bother going to the movie theater ever at all anymore

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

You Are A Elf posted:

Just saw on the news McDonald’s is gonna phase out the self-serve soda fountains for “hygiene concerns” and staff will fill customers’s cups for them.

Lol it’s because people request a cup for water and then blatantly get 30 free refills of Coke with it and don’t try to hide it.

I’m honestly somewhat surprised that fast food restaurants didn’t use COVID as an opportunity to phase out dine-in altogether - it seems like an oddly expensive and time-consuming enterprise at this point compared to “just take your bag of garbage and go.”

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

kntfkr posted:

My Marriott Bonvoy Amex sure has gotten shittier.

Hotel cards are rarely worth holding past the first year, unless you're staying at that chain for several weeks a year. Even then, I'd recommend opening a new card each year for the bonus and just churning through the chains. That being said, I do hold a couple of hotel cards for the free anniversary nights, which I've been able to get decent value out of.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

You Are A Elf posted:

Those Coke Freestyle machines better not disappear

They're already gone from most places I go, such as the pei wei near my office.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

You Are A Elf posted:

Not that I eat at Mickey D’s because I don’t, but what’s stopping other places from doing this? Those Coke Freestyle machines better not disappear because drinking vanilla Seagram’s Ginger Ale with a burg’ & fries is like fine dining. Gotta lift a pinky when I take a sip.

Yeh the drink machines appeared as a way to shift that task onto the customer so that orders could get out more quickly, and whoops turns out there's a reason for why you had employees doing it in the first place

That said, soda is so goddamned cheap to produce in those machines (soda water + syrup pack) and has a huuuge profit margin, so I do have a hard time believing they actually lost money on that in the long run. One patron's soda purchase could subsidize a whole portion of free drinks and the company would still make profit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Thanks, brother. He passed in 2021and I think of him every day. Getting his truck on the road again has been fun and sweet.

It’s how Auto Zone has always labeled it? “Lifetime” means as long as you own the vehicle (the “life” of the car and not the part). Buy a set of brake pads in 1998 and as long as you still have the car, you get new ones free every time if you bought the “lifetime warranty” originally.

That’s no longer the case, though. Loss leader, but it was a great thing.

LL Bean once had a "we will exchange any defective product" and you'd see folks with 20 year old boots explaining how the sole coming off is a product defect.

I myself abused their policy to exchange a bunch of clothes for a mountain bike.

They changed the policy.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Armacham posted:

Those freestyle machines are like half the reason I even bother going to the movie theater ever at all anymore
It's funny, I don't use the bar at AMC anymore because smuggling in booze and playing with the freestyle machine is fun. Freestyle machines are the only reason I go INTO a fast food restaurant, ever.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
But then McDs has also clawed back how many ketchup packs they give out. The feeling I get Everytime I walk into a McDs in the modern era is that it's run by a bunch of execs who are terrified of losing their jobs and making pennywise but poundfoolish decisions that make the profits look good for the latest financial presentation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They don’t have the giant tubs of ketchup with the pumps anymore ??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Love those little ketchup cups!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
seems foolish to be giving more responsibilities to the employees since they already understaff so hard

surely nothing will become shittier from this!!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

I haven't seen one of those in ages

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

redshirt posted:

I would fill the entire one side of burger container with ketchup

It owned

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
You can also use two medium lids stacked on top of each other to hold ketchup. Probably put a napkin under them.

Medium lids hold ketchup better than the large lids for some reason.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cerekk posted:

Basically every company that has ever had a customer-friendly return policy has had to change it because of jackasses abusing the poo poo out of it. My favorites were people picking up piles of LL Bean stuff at thrift stores and then swapping it in bulk for brand new stuff, and Costco telling people they will no longer accept live Christmas tree returns after Christmas.

redshirt posted:

LL Bean once had a "we will exchange any defective product" and you'd see folks with 20 year old boots explaining how the sole coming off is a product defect.

I myself abused their policy to exchange a bunch of clothes for a mountain bike.

They changed the policy.

Not gonna lie because I think every one of us is guilty of at least once abusing a store policy to our advantage, but I used to do this with Craftsman tools at Sears back in the day. Buy a broken ratchet for $1 at a yard sale, go to Sears and exchange it for a new one off the rack, no questions asked.

Sears eventually started handing out remanufactured tools from a box underneath the cash register instead of giving you a new tool, and then ditched that for a rebuild kit where you repair the broken tool yourself.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

And now they're dead

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I just checked and:

quote:

As of June 21st, 2023, there are 11 total Sears stores remaining, with 10 in the mainland US and one location in the US territory of Puerto Rico.

Imagine being the largest retailer in the US with thousands of locations across the map for decades and being reduced to 11 stores in 2023 instead of just… going out of business for good.

Their partner Kmart isn’t any better:

quote:

9 stores (3 of which are in the continental US) (April 2022)

Just… why?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

redshirt posted:

I was in line behind some children struggling to get a cup full, one holding the cup and the other pushing. And I walked up with all the confidence of a fully grown adult to fill it up with a little crown with one solid push and I shot the cup right out of my hand and made a mess.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
One of the Final K Marts is in Bridgehampton NY, near where I used to work. One of the most expensive zip codes in the US has a loving K Mart, riddle me that.

To be fair I understand why it’s there as the closest Target is in Riverhead and that’s where those people live (and like an hour+ away if it’s in summer, 45 min if we drive TW-style). But really, I saw my first Teslas in the parking lot of that K Mart nearly 8ish years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Not gonna lie because I think every one of us is guilty of at least once abusing a store policy to our advantage, but I used to do this with Craftsman tools at Sears back in the day. Buy a broken ratchet for $1 at a yard sale, go to Sears and exchange it for a new one off the rack, no questions asked.

Sears eventually started handing out remanufactured tools from a box underneath the cash register instead of giving you a new tool, and then ditched that for a rebuild kit where you repair the broken tool yourself.

lol I scoured yard sales and second hand stores for LL Bean stuff. I bought this giant pair of super thick khakis for like a buck and the exchange was like 50 bucks.

That mountain bike was like 600 bucks, this took a lot of effort.