Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TulliusCicero posted:

Soul Calibur III had an insane story/ campaign mode

I loving LOVED that game

I also really enjoyed Deception's concept of "explore the MK multiverse", I just didn't like Shujinko and his gimmick of "learn every move ever made"

Deception Konquest was such an ambitious idea that was hurt by its lovely main character and the overall lack of action. Armageddon Konquest had action, but it paid for it by being completely linear. Plus it also had a crappy protagonist. SF6's World Tour feels like a best of both worlds situation, except SF6 has an extremely minimal story, so there's only so much blood they can get out of that stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just want another Shaolin Monks

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

I just want another Shaolin Monks

loving :same:

Also a Baldur's gate like rpg, possibly of the first MK tourney or something, why not

I really think MK world has some insane potential for a party rpg/ tabletop game

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 11, 2023

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

IMO every fighting game should do the Dynasty Warriors: Empire thing where a few years after the initial release they shamelessly recycle the assets into a related but simpler game but in this case they turn it into a Bouncer/Guardian Heroes style side scrolling beat ‘em up

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Are there any rumors or hints as to who the last mystery character is? We know Ermac is dlc, Shang Tsung is pre-order and Reiko has been all but confirmed, but game comes out in 3 days and we still don't know full roster

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wish the mystery character was Robert Englund's Freddy Krueger but I know that's asking a lot.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The final character is Cyber Shang Tsung

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I wonder if it will be another 3d wierdo from DA or Deception

I'm really glad MK didn't throw out all of the 3d characters/ ideas, because people like Ashrah, Li Mei, Havik, Nitara had potential, as well as their Realms, it was just bathed in mediocrity, and some of the worst rosters in MK history

...and then there are characters like Kira and Kobra :ohno:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

TulliusCicero posted:

I wonder if it will be another 3d wierdo from DA or Deception

I'm really glad MK didn't throw out all of the 3d characters/ ideas, because people like Ashrah, Li Mei, Having, Nitara had potential, as well as their Realms, it was just bathed in mediocrity, and some of the worst rosters in MK history

...and then there are characters like Kira and Kobra :ohno:

Kira just needs to not be Female Kano (because we got him back now). And Kobra just needs his heart ripped the gently caress out, god he was loving stupid.

Any Kobra apologists wanna convince me otherwise?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Are there any rumors or hints as to who the last mystery character is? We know Ermac is dlc, Shang Tsung is pre-order and Reiko has been all but confirmed, but game comes out in 3 days and we still don't know full roster

So, people have gotten their hands on early copies and streamed p much everything including the full story, obviously huge spoilers below don’t click if you want to avoid the leaks:

Yeah, Reiko is in. As far as people can tell, the rumored final mystery character…doesn’t exist. The only characters who show up in story mode that haven’t been confirmed are already DLC and finishing the story mode doesn’t give you any character, at least in off line mode.

That being said, there are a couple of complications. At the end of story mode, you fight a bunch of wacky multiverse mash-ups of existing characters. Like, a Tarkat infected Johnny Cage who mixes both his and Baraka’s moveset.

There’s some speculation that the final roster spot will be a Kreate A Kharacter variation or mash-up option. BUT, it would be helluva secret to keep right up until release, and there’s no achievements or menu for it in the game right now.

Still, we know there’s a huge day 1 patch they could be locking something behind. But right now there’s nothing in the game for any final character.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

widespread posted:

Kira just needs to not be Female Kano (because we got him back now). And Kobra just needs his heart ripped the gently caress out, god he was loving stupid.

I believe there's plenty of potential in the idea of making Kobra and Kira the scummy, evil opposites of Johnny and Sonya. Their endings in Armageddon are a lot of fun because they're both based on the idea that they care for each other, but will absolutely stab each other in the back at the first opportunity.

Go full hog on the Ken Masters comparison by having Kobra get huge into bitcoin and dressing like a hobo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gavok posted:

I believe there's plenty of potential in the idea of making Kobra and Kira the scummy, evil opposites of Johnny and Sonya. Their endings in Armageddon are a lot of fun because they're both based on the idea that they care for each other, but will absolutely stab each other in the back at the first opportunity.

Go full hog on the Ken Masters comparison by having Kobra get huge into bitcoin and dressing like a hobo.

I kinda love that that Kabal seems to be the only Black Dragon that has any loyalty or honor at all.

Kano's a shithead, Kira and Kobra he attempts to rebuild the org differently but they are still incredibly lovely people

It's like Kabal has this Worf like sense of the Black Dragon and everyone else there is like "DUDE, MONEY THO"

It's hilarious

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't expect this but I hope it's Kronika

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Obviously it’s Mokap,or hornbuckle or Blaze(?)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Gavok posted:

I'm not gonna lie, it'd be pretty funny for people to go "wait Kobra planted a bomb at the shaolin tournament? THAT Kobra?!". So yeah, full send to that idea.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

widespread posted:

But what if....we got William Zabka to voice and Mo-Cap Kobra?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

But what if....we got William Zabka to voice and Mo-Cap Kobra?

...okay that rules

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TulliusCicero posted:

Some dude got the full game early and streamed the entirety of story mode over the weekend. If the 24th slot actually has a character assigned to it at launch, then that character won't be in the game at all until the day-0 patch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Could the last character potentially be a Kreate-A-Kharacter slot?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Could the last character potentially be a Kreate-A-Kharacter slot?

That would imply that either there is Kreate-A-Fatality or the kreated kharakters don't get fatals or brutalities.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Last kharacter is obviously Zebron.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

A lot of the game is apparently only going to arrive with the big day-one patch, which is in keeping with past games.

I love how we don't actually own video games anymore when we buy them.

Anyway I hope the last character is Drahmin.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wanderer posted:

A lot of the game is apparently only going to arrive with the big day-one patch, which is in keeping with past games.

I don't blame them after every single DLC character for every NRS has gotten leaked ahead of time lol. I think the last time I was ever surprised by something was TMNT in Injustice 2

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

widespread posted:

I'm not gonna lie, it'd be pretty funny for people to go "wait Kobra planted a bomb at the shaolin tournament? THAT Kobra?!". So yeah, full send to that idea.

"Kobra, that you? You look like hell, mate. What happened?"

"She took the kids, Kano! Kira left me and took our kids!"

"Buddy, those boys were born with rock powers. Who are you kidding?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I remember MK11 for PC was weird on release because it was a couple days behind on patches, so all the reference information and frame data were totally wrong.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yeah the leaks for every video game dlc fighter are loving insane

The last time I was genuinely surprised by a release it was Bridget in Strive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah the leaks for every video game dlc fighter are loving insane

The last time I was genuinely surprised by a release it was Bridget in Strive

Smash had some fun surprises.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

exquisite tea posted:

I remember MK11 for PC was weird on release because it was a couple days behind on patches, so all the reference information and frame data were totally wrong.

Oh yeah I recall that. MKX PC was somehow even worse, though I can't remember exactly how.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There's no indication of any content differences between PS5 and Xbox versions right? IIRC, SF6 had some bonus stuff that was only for PS5 pre-orders, but I'm not aware of any such thing for MK1. I'll prob just go for Xbox since I already have a Brook adapter for it (although I did mostly use pad for MK11 on PS4... but it's nice to keep all my control options open).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
We're finally living in the age of Pantherk!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Mr. Neutron posted:

Oh yeah I recall that. MKX PC was somehow even worse, though I can't remember exactly how.

I remember getting 6fps on Kautan Jungle

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Someone posted a video earlier in the thread about Invasions mode, it looks awesome. Edit: sorry the guy who posted this video is the one who made it, I should clarify.

https://youtu.be/AqeLWlISByk?si=_ezkzzspVw-6PeVv

Here another one since that official invasions trailer isn’t on YouTube for some reason?

https://youtu.be/NBPbwWOoIrY?si=-oFaLgtCmweU4sXT

Quoting my own post so people can see more about Invasions. First video is from a poster in this thread, the second has no commentary and just shows some gameplay. It jumps around and shows different characters.

It looks really good to me!

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Quoting my own post so people can see more about Invasions. First video is from a poster in this thread

Das me

Invasions is pretty neat, another contextualization you can give to it is that its Mortal Kombat 9's challenge tower, but spread out in a (very large)RPG styled world instead of just the tower.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont you just move around from place to place like Mario 3's world map?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It looks like a combination of themed Towers of Time with some RPG-lite events you find walking from location to location out in the game world.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

codo27 posted:

Dont you just move around from place to place like Mario 3's world map?

It’s similar, you move around a set path and there are spots for battles and spots where you can interact with stuff on the map (like using keys to unlock doors and such). It’s also not 100% linear as far as I can tell and there are secret paths to discover. So yeah Mario 3 is a good comparison, but with more gore.

The RPG elements are leveling up your kharacters and increasing their stats, customizing them, etc.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

IIRC they tried to do some sort of streaming release, where you could download the game in parts and start playing earlier while the rest still downloaded, like you can do with the blizzard launcher. Trouble is that they just attempted to sort of hack it into the Steam DLC system and it super didn't work.

Or was that MK9?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MKX had terrible performance on release and pre-rollback netcode. MK11 for PC was pretty solid with the exception of intro/FB animations and the Krypt being locked to 30fps, which was patched at a later date.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Release trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thing that gives me pause is all the juggling. And I know its been a part of fighting games for a long time. Its the very core of what combat is, you make a mistake, you get punished. But being juggled and bouncing off the floor for these really drawn out combos with nothing that can be done until the combo is exhausted or your opponent makes a mistake just irks me. I guess its something I just have to learn to deal with.