Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The British Bulldog is the perfect dog analogy for Britain. Once fierce and strong, able to take on animals far larger and more powerful than it, now reduced to a fat stumpy inbred mess that can barely breathe or walk. But still acts like it can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Given your reaction and usage of “oval office” against anyone suggesting putting dogs on a lead, yeah that was pretty much what I expected you to do.

If you go back and re-read my posts you will say I mentioned I wouldn’t expect it in a park. I am referring to being in public, which I would take to mean in heavily populated areas with lots of people, such as streets, high streets etc.

Again you’re looking at this through the lens of a dog lover; I have plenty of experience with the outdoors but would struggle to identify dogs outside the most popular breeds. I couldn’t tell you what attacked me other than it had white blotchy fur and a very angular face/about.

But you’re right; we are just arguing past each other at this point so I’m happy to leave it. I do hope you enjoy your walk together while the good weather lasts.

Ah yes, if someone is attacked it’s the victims fault. I’m glad that the thread has reached that conclusion.

God we really have been arguing past each other cos in general I’d agree, dogs on leashes in busy streets and such.

I was using the big C because of how people approached it - JC particularly has a rep for this sort of thing and you didn’t help by coming in accusing people of just being selfish awful people who don’t care about anyone else.

Anyway, thanks, and I hope you have a nice day as well. Sadly in Manchester the weather has roundly failed to last and is back to chucking it down

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jakabite posted:

I would love to see you try and exercise a healthy, active, young dog without taking it off the lead. Likewise id like to see you try and keep a dog who needs that happy while depriving it of that. You can’t. It’s impossible.

lol let's not get carried away, it's hardly impossible. I have a huskie who is exercised almost exclusively on a lead because that is the law here for half the year. Most of the other dog owners I see seem to manage too.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Tesseraction posted:

mongrels are better off genetically

I'd say the opposite frankly: mongrels are prone to health issues from inadvisable breed mixes all the time and are notorious for behaviour issues. Breeding lines exist for a reason.

For example, many guarding/shepherding breeds have been carefully selected for things like trainability and territorialism while minimizing other traits like aloofness or prey drive to make sure the dog is traininable and managable for it's original purpose.

If you haphazardly cross that breed with another breed with a totally different genetic history and low trainability or high hunting drive; you taken two breeds that in themselves are managable and combined them into a one nightmare dog. Likewise if you take a breed that has issues with idk elbow displasia and cross it with a breed that has heavier build or shorter legs, you've made the problem worse.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

I'd say the opposite frankly: mongrels are prone to health issues from inadvisable breed mixes all the time and are notorious for behaviour issues. Breeding lines exist for a reason.

For example, many guarding/shepherding breeds have been carefully selected for things like trainability and territorialism while minimizing other traits like aloofness or prey drive to make sure the dog is traininable and managable for it's original purpose.

If you haphazardly cross that breed with another breed with a totally different genetic history and low trainability or high hunting drive; you taken two breeds that in themselves are managable and combined them into a one nightmare dog. Likewise if you take a breed that has issues with idk elbow displasia and cross it with a breed that has heavier build or shorter legs, you've made the problem worse.

Okay fine too much mongrel makes a muckle. :colbert:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dog on a lead is way more likely to trip someone up or get in the way of a passing bike, so I don't bother. I'll roll the dice on my 4.8kg lil terrier mutt sniffling somebody's foot too hard. Or accidentally making eye contact with a goon, killing them instantly

Lol yeah, I used to love clicking out the big long dog reel lead thingy (it felt a lot like a gun, having my dog operated by trigger so that was even better) then watching her run round a big group of walkers before perfectly recalling her back to me and watching the whole group of them taken out like the big robot dog things in Star wars.

Nice little rope burn if they were in shorts or skirts too.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just another fallen breed.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jakabite posted:

God we really have been arguing past each other cos in general I’d agree, dogs on leashes in busy streets and such.

I was using the big C because of how people approached it - JC particularly has a rep for this sort of thing and you didn’t help by coming in accusing people of just being selfish awful people who don’t care about anyone else.

Anyway, thanks, and I hope you have a nice day as well. Sadly in Manchester the weather has roundly failed to last and is back to chucking it down

Honestly I wasn’t aware of the rep of the other poster using the big C and just took it as you attacking someone who in my mind had made a pretty reasonable suggestion, and having had some run ins in the past came in guns blazing.

I’m not a dog person but I don’t dislike them; I just get nervous around poorly behaved ones. Ones that are nice or known to me I get on fine with and some I have a great relationship with. One (I couldn’t tell you what she is only that she’s tiny, brown and fluffy) I’ve known since a puppy and we absolutely adore eachother. She’s not going to be around much longer sadly.

Thank you - I am hoping the horrendous downpour earlier today in Wiltshire does not return so I can go pick up the new Tyranid book, but we will see.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Back in the UK and the first thing I overheard on the train home from Heathrow was teens discussing routes from the station to the school that had the least chance of getting them stop-and-searched :britain:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

In my opinion pickled onion monster munch is the best monster munch also chocolate oranges are Good Actually

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
All flavours of Monster Munch basically taste the same.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh ho ho ho ho that's a spicy take.
You've done this threads equivalent of farting in an elevator.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

feedmegin posted:

In my opinion pickled onion monster munch is the best monster munch also chocolate oranges are Good Actually

a chocolate orange is a good dog deterrent, simply keep one to hand and offer a piece to any dog who approaches you

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

kecske posted:

a chocolate orange is a good dog deterrent, simply keep one to hand and offer a piece to any dog who approaches you

I don’t want XL vomit all over my jeans.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my expression at this thread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The dog is cute but there should be laws against the fashion crime going on to the right.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The cricket jumper or wearing a dog collar?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wearing both of those together and that specific collar.

Collars should be black and spikey or lace.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also wearing a collar on national TV, who does she think she is , former PM Liz Truss?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Attach one end of the lead to each collar

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I could see that happening tbf.

With flavoured cigs though it did kind of work. You can get the straights that you put a (menthol) filter in but they’re a gently caress on and I only know one person who uses them, or you can smoke rollies. You can’t get menthol cigs ready to smoke anymore (unless you go to the right shops and ask specifically with a wink). It briefly stopped me smoking anyway, and I’m now trying to quit again after going to play 5 a side and literally throwing up outside the cage after 15 minutes. Lifting weights and smoking cigs does not a healthy cardiovascular system make, it turns out.

E:^^^ my dog is lovable and friendly but still likes to chase her ball across a field or just have a bit of zoomies

I was thinking more along the lines of how they replaced menthol cigs with 'ice' or 'cool' as a flavour stored inside a breakable capsule in the filter, so that technically "they were unflavoured when we sold them".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

It's why Stalin isolated him and withheld his Last Testament, revenge for the cat poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mgshanks/status/1701513186258649308?t=TbCDZhjxczbxJKbrXjOFLQ&s=19

gently caress them Glasgow needs to reduce the amount of people bringing their car into the city, and Rutherglen is within walking distance, also served by multiple regular buses and trains. Hamilton and Coatbridge are also on the low level train network.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

The dog has the nicer collar.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

feedmegin posted:

I can't help but feel that this is very targetted.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of how they replaced menthol cigs with 'ice' or 'cool' as a flavour stored inside a breakable capsule in the filter, so that technically "they were unflavoured when we sold them".

Nah you can’t get them anymore either, they were the ones I liked best. The humble Sterling Dual is dual in name only now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

Its a very lazy appeal to the public but I genuinely think they should just be banned, even if people bin them they end up in a landfill.
And it's not like it's a ban on all vapes, just the ones that are mostly used by children and encourage huge amounts of ewaste.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

They'll likely gently caress up the definition of 'disposable' and the companies involved will find a workaround. Like keep the form factor roughly similar but allow liquid refills, making it technically reusable, but still to be thrown away when the battery/coil dies.

Kind of like how flavoured cigarettes are banned in the UK, but even before the ban was enforced the tobacco companies had legal workarounds ready to go.
If you do ewaste legislation properly (like with the smoke alarms with the trace amount of radioisotope in them, because we're bound by international agreements on things like that), then you say that the manufacturer or importer has to foot the bill for all stages of the device lifecycle including disposal and hazardous waste.

And then often magically the companies say "hey we've discovered this amazing new thing called a screw cap and you can change the battery and coil out now" and things get slightly less lovely.

Whereas like you say if they just go with a Tory-style poorly written ban then you just get lazy dodges.

I'll be interested if they go for a comprehensive "minimum of x% user replaceable components, all vape shops and convenience stores offering full vape systems must have battery recycling bins, selling to under 18s comes with big penalties" ewaste strategy or just a "we don't like the pink ones" dodge, but if they're doing lazy public opinioneering then I can guess.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My son is over the moon, King poo poo of gently caress Mountain because mum finally bought him a small bottle of PRIME. Like this is the status symbol that apparently all 8 year olds aspire to. His friends are apparently counting down the days till they turn 18 and can Legally Buy the energy drink version.

It's £3 for some cherry cordial.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Check out this wikipedia page:

https://twitter.com/d_j_frost/status/1701616422835699986

Got to say, I have an inkling that Wikipedia editor "CherryredDMs" may not be all they claim to be...

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Chubby Henparty posted:

My son is over the moon, King poo poo of gently caress Mountain because mum finally bought him a small bottle of PRIME. Like this is the status symbol that apparently all 8 year olds aspire to. His friends are apparently counting down the days till they turn 18 and can Legally Buy the energy drink version.

It’s loving gross too

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I thought all prime drinks were caffeine horror shows, lol that there's a squash version

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Considering you need the mind of a child to watch the pauls it makes sense that they would focus at least some of their bad products at actual children.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have found myself going slightly out of my way to go to this motorway service station for petrol because of these crisps:

Has anyone else tried them? I feel like it could just be my part of the country being 10 years behind every where else.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

History Comes Inside! posted:

There was some gigantic motherfucker with at least a 3 inch legspan on my kitchen wall the other day

I made my wife catch and release it at the end of the street to try and make sure it couldn’t find its way back

I don’t even know if spiders can do that but I wasn’t about to take any chances

i caught a mouse in a humane trap before Christmas last year and took it round to the next street behind mine where there's a fence and beyond that is fields for miles. i opened the trap at a gap in the fence expecting the mouse when i opened the door to run into the fields but it ran in the opposite direction, up someone's driveway and beyond a fence then a couple of seconds later i heard a dog making terrified noises

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you had been living in a house and someone tried to release you into a field I imagine you would also run to the nearest house.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

feedmegin posted:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jippa posted:

I have found myself going slightly out of my way to go to this motorway service station for petrol because of these crisps:

Has anyone else tried them? I feel like it could just be my part of the country being 10 years behind every where else.

They look like Jalapeno Wotsits from the bag? Is that basically what they are cause I could see that being alright if they are textually better than Wotsits possibly, maybe more like Nik Naks in consistency would be good.

I've not tried them specifically but I feel like I have heard about them from somewhere, whoever it was was raving about them. I really like the bags of smashed up jalapeno pretzels you can get in some places as well.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 12, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chubby Henparty posted:

It’s exceedingly stupid and thank goodness I never spent money on any dumb poo poo like Pogs or Gogos or trading cards when I was a kid 👀

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

kecske posted:

I thought all prime drinks were caffeine horror shows, lol that there's a squash version

They have a Prime Hydration range that's heavily-diluted coconut water with artificial flavourings. Even the energy ones are zero-sugar artificially sweetened crap with less caffeine than the equivalent volume of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

They look like Jalapeno Wotsits from the bag? Is that basically what they are cause I could see that being alright if they are textually better than Wotsits possibly, maybe more like Nik Naks in consistency would be good.

I've not tried those specifically but I feel like I have heard about them from somewhere, whoever it was was raving about them. I really like the bags of smashed up jalapeno pretzels you can get in some places as well.

I'd describe them as "posh wotsits". Both these and the cheese ones have something about them that make them superior somehow. Definitely worth a try.