Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just recently got Odyssey and I'm a bit stumped for what news things there are to do. I tried a stealth mission but after an hour of getting there and sneaking around some guard caught me and all that time was wasted. Are there better things to find/do on foot?

Also is it worthwhile to do a character reset? This is mostly at people who have done this to try to rekindle the nostalgic parts of the game since I've been using the same account since the alpha/beta days. My money is in the tens of millions with a few ships but I was wondering if a Sidewinder restart might make things interesting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I don’t know anything about odyssey, but you can buy a sidewinder with your millions of dollars if you want to fly around in a sidewinder again. I don’t get why you’d need to reset your account, it’s not like your character has any stats that change as you play.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The feeling of working towards something. It's not an uncommon thing for commanders to do

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Ok, I just know I’d quit the game before I got my character back to where it currently is if I had to start over. If they ever do release some more content I’d want to play I wouldn’t want to be locked out of it because I didn’t have the resources to engage with it.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

breadshaped posted:

Also is it worthwhile to do a character reset? This is mostly at people who have done this to try to rekindle the nostalgic parts of the game since I've been using the same account since the alpha/beta days. My money is in the tens of millions with a few ships but I was wondering if a Sidewinder restart might make things interesting again.

I sort of did this with a second account when Epic gave 'em away, but honestly missed Jamison too much. Having to fly from system to system hoping they have the parts you need just sucks so bad.

The Sidey is better than i remembered though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Sidewinder is good enough that it's easy to argue that one never really liked the treadmill, just the idea of finding things to do that work for the form factor of the Sidewinder.

It's risk free to try just flying the Sidewinder and other cheap ships and if you're still looking for the treadmill it'll still be waiting for a new account/reset.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It does sort of baffle me that this game has had years of updates but they've never fixed basic issues like, "Mission rewards are mostly garbage and you have to do crap stuff for engineers to get real upgrades" and "Only once you have effectively completed the game do you unlock the one good shop".

Like gently caress, just scatter engineered components into the mission reward list, and make any high tech or shipyard-type system sell every ship type and component. This poo poo isn't hard and would make progressing in the game so much better.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Gort posted:

It does sort of baffle me that this game has had years of updates but they've never fixed basic issues like, "Mission rewards are mostly garbage and you have to do crap stuff for engineers to get real upgrades" and "Only once you have effectively completed the game do you unlock the one good shop".

Like gently caress, just scatter engineered components into the mission reward list, and make any high tech or shipyard-type system sell every ship type and component. This poo poo isn't hard and would make progressing in the game so much better.

But missions do give material rewards, and there are like 3-5 stations that sell every component or ship.

I've never understood that complaint that you have to play the game to get rewards in game. Like yeah that's the point.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Engineers are crap content is the complaint, but you have to do them in order to progress. Just make good missions and have them give engineered components as a reward, and drop engineers entirely.

And 3-5 stations that sell all components is laughable in a game with hundreds of thousands of stations.

There's good poo poo to do in this game, moving around the map to get to a station that sells stuff you want to buy, or grinding boring poo poo for engineers ain't it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This game is still alive?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Depends on what you call living.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah, it's still the best space sim and has the best flight model of any space game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gort posted:

Engineers are crap content is the complaint, but you have to do them in order to progress. Just make good missions and have them give engineered components as a reward, and drop engineers entirely.

And 3-5 stations that sell all components is laughable in a game with hundreds of thousands of stations.

There's good poo poo to do in this game, moving around the map to get to a station that sells stuff you want to buy, or grinding boring poo poo for engineers ain't it.
Completing an unengineered build is one of the arguments I'd use for the progression part of the game being better. It can get a little frustrating with the lack of in game info or sign posting but it's largely a good excuse to range out of your safe little cluster of maximized mining/missions etc. The good news is you can keep playing that game even after unlocking the omni stations by chasing power play ownership coupons.

Completing an engineering build is an actively bad mobile game experience and any designer who thinks more than 2 currencies is compelling gameplay needs reeducated.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IMO How parts shoulda worked is instead of being basically economy type plus random rolls, they shoulda been broken into manufacturers/brands. Each 'shop' would be narrowly focused but have a complete catalogue in that focus, and a station would roll for the number and type of shops it featured. A shop could be a brand but could also be something like Federal Navy.

What they went with, with even good stations having totally random gaps and missing parts, is just kinda garbage.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

El Grillo posted:

There's even a big update now earmarked for early next year. They said their revamping a longstanding system. No one's sure if it's engineers, or PowerPlay since the Thargoids may be a test ground for BGS stuff, but in typical Frontier fashion the communication is not so good.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I just got my fleet carrier after a recent Community Goal hauling gold to the imperials. I've been a casual player for a year or so, and there is still so much to do.

Maybe I just like grind and repeat games. Dwarf Fortress is the other deep hole I fell into so maybe my opinion isn't standard.

I personally enjoy that I have 400+ hours , a year of time in, and I still feel like I have barely touched the game.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, it's still the best space sim and has the best flight model of any space game.
I don't see it ever getting any competition now that Volition has been killed by Embracer Group and we won't ever get a Freespace 3.

So far as I know, there aren't even any space sims in active development either (no, that one doesn't count).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't see it ever getting any competition now that Volition has been killed by Embracer Group and we won't ever get a Freespace 3.

So far as I know, there aren't even any space sims in active development either (no, that one doesn't count).

Yeah, I sample almost every space sim out there, and freespace is the only thing that ever came close. Freelancer was okay, but was too arcadey, which is a problem with most space sim games.

One day a modern space sim with good developers will come along.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I just got my fleet carrier after a recent Community Goal hauling gold to the imperials. I've been a casual player for a year or so, and there is still so much to do.

Maybe I just like grind and repeat games. Dwarf Fortress is the other deep hole I fell into so maybe my opinion isn't standard.

I personally enjoy that I have 400+ hours , a year of time in, and I still feel like I have barely touched the game.

That Gold rush was insane. Happily in a Type-9 because of it, and my baby the type-6 is my signal source gatherer now.

I don't hate grind if I love the window dressing. Apparently the background story is enough for me. I never played when they stopped doing the galnet articles, then when they came back I pop on back in every time the space bug bites.

I do wish PowerPlay wasn't so uneven and rear end. Seems if you aren't Aisling/Arissa/Hudson/Winters why bother. It's fortification every.single.week.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think the funniest thing about powerplay is that it's so fundamentally broken that the people who are Fully Aware Of The Mechanics have an agreement with each other to not sign up for their opponent's PP factions and intentionally tank them because it's that easy to do

and then they get into arguments every once in awhile about if someone's PP faction tanking is because of an uptick in players who are enthusiastic but ignorant or someone not abiding by The Agreement

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Power play is something that I have yet to spend any time on. I assume the modules are worthwhile, but the BGS stuff is beyond me.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think the funniest thing about powerplay is that it's so fundamentally broken that the people who are Fully Aware Of The Mechanics have an agreement with each other to not sign up for their opponent's PP factions and intentionally tank them because it's that easy to do

and then they get into arguments every once in awhile about if someone's PP faction tanking is because of an uptick in players who are enthusiastic but ignorant or someone not abiding by The Agreement

Yup. My gay rear end is team Space Cruella so no one ever worries about us. In fact, Yuri expanded into two systems in our space and directly above our capital but there's jack poo poo we can do with our numbers.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

One day a modern space sim with good developers will come along.

Hey, Skyrim was insanely influential in media right? There's always hope Starfield will rekindle a space movement.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Power play is something that I have yet to spend any time on. I assume the modules are worthwhile, but the BGS stuff is beyond me.

You assume incorrectly for the most part. Prismatic shields are situationally useful and I think packhounds are fun in a "macross missile massacre" kind of visual way but that's about it last I checked

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

But missions do give material rewards, and there are like 3-5 stations that sell every component or ship.

I've never understood that complaint that you have to play the game to get rewards in game. Like yeah that's the point.

In most games there's logic or choice to it, if you use a sword in Skyrim you get better at using swords. If you invest skillpoints into bartering in Divinity you get better shop prices, but you earn the skill points by playing in any way you choose.

In Elite, engineering is a bunch of extremely specific hoops to jump through, most of which are asinine and many of which are completely unrelated to the thing you're trying to improve at. If you want good plasma weapons required for PvP you have to mine 500 tons of ore, for example.

The other thing is once you've unlocked the engineers, getting materials has an inverted risk:reward relationship, favouring or outright requiring the least engaging mechanics - or even totally compartmentalised from any activity you'd engage in during a normal play session. Getting G5 manufactured materials involves literally waiting around in empty space rolling dice. Any claims made that you can accrue these materials 'just by playing the game' are false, you will never find, say, Core Dyn Composites in the necessary quantities without trawling HGEs, and the only reason to trawl HGEs is to get the materials. It's disruptive and boring and not at all the kind of progression system most people imagine when they say 'just play'. (Imagine Baldur's Gate where the only way to level up is to stand in an empty corner of the level and pick up and put down crates over and over again until you've passed your crate quota, that's quite literally what's happening.)

There is a really, really long rant I could go into itemising every material, collection method etc. but the basic thrust of it is that nobody is arguing against progression as a thing, they're arguing against incredibly poorly implemented progression. So you have to read between the lines a bit when people say they want fast tracks or exploits, or for the system to be removed. I would take a good, logical level up system over any amount of relogging any day, but the game as-implemented flies fully in the face of accepted industry wisdom in this regard and only survives universal vicious criticism by being convoluted and confusing enough that people assume they're missing something.

Edit: to give more context to the hostility of their design, they only added material traders begrudgingly after a year of complaints from every corner of the community. Just because 'but traders exist!' is a pretty common defence of the system, they only exist because everyone was furious for a calendar year and they're still restrictive enough that you can't build competitive ships without picking up and putting down crates.

Edit 2: as another example, when Guardian ruins were added to the game you needed 25 blueprints to build a single module, meaning 25 minimum runs of the same guardian puzzle, because there were far fewer than 25 individual sites. That is not the choice of a developer shooting for "organic, emergent progression just by playing the game" - you literally had to relog and repeat the same content over a dozen times to get a single module (I think there are maybe 4 - 5 sites of a given flavour? I can't remember). Again, universal rage from the community reduced the blueprint requirement to 1 because even Fdev couldn't find an excuse for it, they're the worst developer for progression mechanics, seriously, the worst, and anyone saying you can "just play" is either being disingenous or ignorant. Sorry but I'm mad.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 12, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, well. Frontier themselves realized that when they introduced material and data traders :v:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

They didn't realise that, as I said, they were yelled at for a year and it's still a small bandaid on a gaping wound.

I genuinely think the only ways people can be charitable towards these mechanics is because they're not really engaging with them, either just modding low-grade scattershot mods with the crap they pick up, which is a fine way to play and no criticism from me for that, or just focusing on exploration which has both the most (only) logical task -> reward flow and the lowest bar to entry.

Edit: I know I'm being condescending, but seriously the design behind these systems doesn't stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever. I've depressingly been arguing about it on forums since 2016 and not once has anyone provided anything resembling a critical defence of it that isn't just "well it doesn't affect me much".

I'm obnoxious and annoy myself with these angry rants but I can't step down the fury on this topic, I've spent too many years masochistically rolling in this garbage, I apologise.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 12, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I think that's true, but not the full picture. There are also a lot of people who don't engage with the mechanics enough, and therefore end up hurting themselves for no reason.

Like, a lot of people I have seen talking about the "best" engineer for something, only to know (or realize later, after looking up engineer on Inara) that no, there are at least 1 more engineer doing the exact same thing and with a vastly different unlock quest.

So I often heard basically this story: Person wants to do X, looks up only what everyone says is the best engineer for X, being unhappy with what that engineer wants them to do, then does it anyway "because there is no other option".

That, and not understanding the worth of your time. I've spent literally days worth of time engineering space boats, mostly for exploration but also for combat, and I always set myself a reasonable cut-off past of which I stopped engineering because my time became more worthwhile doing something else instead.

And then I often see people who just continue doing things they obviously don't like doing, and they do it excessively.

Therefore, while Elite's design certainly isn't perfect, a lot of the blame lies also by the players, who were far too often very eager to hurt themselves. Like, look at this from the viewpoint of the developers: You have some really loud voices complain about stuff, but you always hear complaints. Then you look at your data and see that the silent majority still extensively plays what the loud voices say is bad. No wonder positive changes come only slow, and after far too long periods of complaining. Too many idiots clogging up the data points.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
engineering is a continuous crate-lifting motion

reach heaven through tedium

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

Like, look at this from the viewpoint of the developers: You have some really loud voices complain about stuff, but you always hear complaints. Then you look at your data and see that the silent majority still extensively plays what the loud voices say is bad.

lol

we regret to inform you that they're not looking at data, they just don't give much of a poo poo about elite dangerous anymore

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Libluini posted:

Like, a lot of people I have seen talking about the "best" engineer for something, only to know (or realize later, after looking up engineer on Inara) that no, there are at least 1 more engineer doing the exact same thing and with a vastly different unlock quest.

Farseer and Martuuk both do G5 FSDs, and there are Colonia engineers that (now) offer the same things you can get in the bubble. Most players won't see going to Colonia as a reasonable alternative. There is only one engineer in the bubble who does G5 hull, only one who does G5 plasma, only one who does G5 multicannons etc etc. Again I think maybe you're looking at this from the position of a mainly exploration-focused player. Nothing wrong with that but until you've tried to build a competitive combat ship I don't think you're seeing the same restrictions.

Libluini posted:

So I often heard basically this story: Person wants to do X, looks up only what everyone says is the best engineer for X, being unhappy with what that engineer wants them to do, then does it anyway "because there is no other option".

Yes. Often there is no other option, that's entirely accurate. Or alternatively all of the options are equally nonsensical: choosing between "mine 500 tons of ore" or "fly 22k LY to Colonia and provide 200 units of progenator cells", as a combat-oriented player is like choosing between a different colour of ball-clamp.

Libluini posted:

That, and not understanding the worth of your time. I've spent literally days worth of time engineering space boats, mostly for exploration but also for combat, and I always set myself a reasonable cut-off past of which I stopped engineering because my time became more worthwhile doing something else instead.

Define worthwhile, and for what profile of player? This isn't unrelated to other flaws in the system: There are vast balancing problems between mods and vast gulfs in efficiency between means of collecting materials so, indeed, you can spend a huge amount of time building an objectively inferior ship in an objectively inefficient way in order to engage in content that you didn't need engineering for in the first place. In that case, sure, your time would be better spent doing something else. However, if you're a player armed with knowledge about the mods, and with a specific goal in mind, then I don't think "just do something else" is a valid option. (Even if it were, "just don't do it then" is not a defence of their godawful progression systems, it's bargaining).

If you want to engage in PvP you have to mod your ships a certain way, there is no wiggle room. If you want to do AX combat it's pretty much the same, if you want to effectively and efficiently push your faction in the BGS there are objectively good and bad ship builds for doing that in each activity.

Libluini posted:

And then I often see people who just continue doing things they obviously don't like doing, and they do it excessively.

Therefore, while Elite's design certainly isn't perfect, a lot of the blame lies also by the players [...]

No. Sorry, I outright reject this concept and I'm sick of seeing it thrown around in half-assed defence of awful game mechanics. Certain players will always seek to optimise games while others will just mill about doing random poo poo. That's not interesting to point out, it's been the case since the dawn of time and no amount of moral judgement over others' level of engagement will excuse a game being poorly designed. It's 100% the job of a game developer to protect players from themselves by building mechanics that naturally promote enjoyable gameplay. Some players will always find ways to slip through the cracks and break systems, and usually that's fine, that's the foundation of speedrun communities and a lot of people get significant pleasure out of it after all. Elite is a game where engaging with the progression mechanics in earnest on Fdev's own terms is dreadful. If you are the type of player who's unaware of it, or willing to just smile and overlook it, more power to you, but 'victim blaming' players for expecting the game's design to be conducive to a good time is not helpful. Thousands of players have complained about engineering since day 1, some of the complaints resulted in changes that were universally welcomed. Dismissing those players as having "the wrong mindset" while also praising the fruits of the criticism, or even using it to shut-down further criticism, is particularly irritating. So, yeah, nah. If you wanna argue in favour of engineering you're going to need to discuss the mechanics themselves and not just light a few incense sticks and blame my problematic desire for games to make loving sense.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

lol

we regret to inform you that they're not looking at data, they just don't give much of a poo poo about elite dangerous anymore

So the last DLC was two years ago? Sounds like a dead game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Frontier didn’t exactly ever support the game well or enthusiastically tbh. But they are busy making an Age of Sigmar Warhammer RTS now. They have probably moved on.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

El Grillo posted:

For the BGS addicted, certainly. DF briefly held the title of largest anarchy group by systems, and still does by Pop. Working on reclaiming that crown and making number go up.

But it is seldom that players actually play the BGS part of the game, empire building is a slow burn, requires time and somewhat boring gameplay, and is frustrating as all hell and nearly everyone lacks the patience save the truly mad. Like me, I'm having a ball.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Frontier didn’t exactly ever support the game well or enthusiastically tbh. But they are busy making an Age of Sigmar Warhammer RTS now. They have probably moved on.

There is one more major update to come, but after that I'm not expecting anything.

They say there will be Player faction changes, and whilst they could be good and make things nice and give us as something as a faction to do, this is Fdev, so they'll gently caress it right up.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 12, 2023

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The smart thing would be to hand over more agency to player factions to enable the game to continue drawing interest once the updates stop, but yeah there's a good chance they'll unwittingly pull the rug from under everything.

The BGS is weird, often boring, arcane and uninviting, but it is also pretty much the only thing Elite has going for it that hasn't yet been choked out (like PvP) surpassed or replaced by another game (NMS/Squadrons/X4/Starfield etc) so while it's easy to imagine ways it could be improved it's also scary to think of them messing with it with their tendency to misunderstand what players appreciate about it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yes. Often there is no other option, that's entirely accurate. Or alternatively all of the options are equally nonsensical: choosing between "mine 500 tons of ore" or "fly 22k LY to Colonia and provide 200 units of progenator cells", as a combat-oriented player is like choosing between a different colour of ball-clamp.
Let's be fair to Fdev here. Engineering would still be an irredeemable piece of garbage if it was more neatly organized around mining unlocking mining related engineers and providing engineering components for mining related upgrades.

The entire system is vintage 2007 treadmill bullshit.

Libluini posted:

Therefore, while Elite's design certainly isn't perfect, a lot of the blame lies also by the players, who were far too often very eager to hurt themselves. Like, look at this from the viewpoint of the developers: You have some really loud voices complain about stuff, but you always hear complaints. Then you look at your data and see that the silent majority still extensively plays what the loud voices say is bad. No wonder positive changes come only slow, and after far too long periods of complaining. Too many idiots clogging up the data points.
I am quick to blame gamers when faced with a fun gameplay system and choose to do less of it. Treadmills are almost never a place to do this because you are usually dealing with a game that is instantly fun, then hides some amount of content behind a treadmill for engagement. The treadmill is going to be optimized as a matter of course to get to whatever is behind it, fun or not. And that's the problem here, Elite is instantly fun and when you are looking for more like PVP, AX, optimized exploration, which are all also fun, you have the worst bullshit of a treadmill imaginable in the way. It would be much better for the optimisers or the people along for the ride willing and able to hop off before perfection if it used any amount of design concepts from the 2010s like currency organized by activity, less but more meaningful currencies etc.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Mokotow posted:

So the last DLC was two years ago? Sounds like a dead game.

No new ships in that time either. Although it's still the first game that comes up when you visit the website.

I bought Odyssey last year and finally played it this morning, seems neat.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The game is still fun and good

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Let me explain why the game I still play constantly is terrible...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let me explain why the game I still play constantly is terrible...

2,000 hours, not recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
1600 hours in and I just got my fleet carrier and now I'm filling out every codex entry from now until they shut the servers down tbh. If they make this playable offline it might well be the only game I want to play