Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This is funny

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-hosts-own-words-082858148.html

Fox News Hosts' Own Words Come Back To Haunt Trump In Brutal MSNBC Supercut

The same Fox News hosts and commentators defending Donald Trump now after his combined 91 felony indictments in four different cases were singing a very different tune in 2016, as highlighted by a new MSNBC supercut video.

When Hillary Clinton was running against Trump, multiple voices on the right-wing network cried out that the nation couldn’t handle a president under investigation.

“We cannot have a country led by a president subject to ongoing criminal investigations, potential indictment, and never-ending hearings,” Jeanine Pirro said in a segment that’s still available on Fox News’ YouTube channel.

Sean Hannity warned that Clinton becoming president “while still being under investigation” would lead to a “major constitutional crisis.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1698500455502938467

Imagine if Comey had released a statement 10 days before the election that Trump was being investigated for ties to Russia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

Imagine if Comey had released a statement 10 days before the election that Trump was being investigated for ties to Russia?

WITCH HUNT!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

TL/DR: Bolded

They're hypocritical shameless douchebags, OP.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

WITCH HUNT!

HAY TOWER FREEDUM

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
didnt it come out , and then got buried by other (donnie) news that the NY branch of the FBI has some russian ties?

Comey is a massive poo poo and did a legit Oct Surprise knife stab(but a small one among the thousands of other knife cuts), but stuff would have leaked anyway because Rudy and the FBI hated Clinton

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A shithead’s son who was at J6 got convicted

https://twitter.com/trillburne/status/1700254776569835790?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pretty LOL all around
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1700251105865970115
Siri, show me someone who has never faced a consequence for anything, ever, and who has never had to learn how to tell an even half-believable lie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A stunning amount of Republicans I've talked to think that the 1/6 crowd were invited in, completely ignoring hours of footage showing the exact opposite. There were instances of Capitol Police falling back and, tbh, it wouldn't surprise me if many of them were sympathetic to the cause but I don't know how you view the footage of the guy getting crushed and the chambers being barricaded and conclude that all those assholes were welcomed inside.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There is footage from late in the day, long after the initial breach and after all the legislators and their staffs were evacuated where the cops did stand back and let people into the building.

“Rationality disadvantaged” people see that as evidence that the three hours of hand to hand combat that took place before that is irrelevant and that the swat and high threat response teams that showed up around 6pm and aggressively cleared the building so the count could continue were just uh, something, I dunno they don’t address it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There's also video from way before Babbitt was shot that does appear to show police falling back and such. If one were to watch a video of the whole thing unfolding that was selectively edited to isolate these things, it might very much appear as if the insurrectionists were let in without resistance.

Not accusing FOX News, Newsmax, YouTube or FB of posting exactly what I described, of course, but one can't blame the poor MAGA folks who only watch one type of news and so, conveniently, only got to see maybe 5 minutes of barricades being opened and poo poo. The rest of those crazy fucks, that openly planned this coup (who posted about it feverishly before, after and during the day in question) and behaved violently were all Antifa Soros Soldiers. Even though the perps are still bragging about what they did; some of them in court.

Christ, all you have to watch are the NYT or HBO documentaries to see what happened. I watched the livestreams in real time and monitored social media for weeks leading up to the certification date so I saw the whole thing unfold with no filter whatsoever and got to listen to the narration of the motherfuckers who were totally stoked to be re-enacting 1776 chanting to hang the Vice President and Speaker as it happened.

The Freep thread is good like this.

For months, years...DECADES now they've been declaring America to be dead and openly and loudly calling for violent revolution but, when it actually sorta happens, they're all claiming they would never do such a thing. Even as other posters are egging the Proud Boys on, cheering the rally, calling 1/6 a great thing, begging for more and promising to do it right next time by coming heavily armed.

This Soros character sure gets around.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BiggerBoat posted:

This Soros character sure gets around.

There's a reason they called it "the eternal Jew" last time around.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I assume oil/coal are investors for Fox.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1700884715404669238

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It's 9/11, of course, and I found myself in a brief conversation with a coworker who talked about controlled demolitions and how "eerie" it was the way the towers fell. It was cut short but I told him that I know what subject we're gonna discuss the next time we work together. I haven't seen a 9/11 truther out in the wild in a good long time and I have to admit it dampened my spirits a bit to know that they still walk the earth. Oddly, he's a right wing type from what I've gleaned.

Guy was so loving smug about it too, which bothered me more than anything I think.

I pop off from time to time and have been known to be incredibly wrong about a great deal of the poo poo I shoot off at the mouth about, but I always try to remind myself in the moment that I'm merely opining about things that I've done my best to learn about and that I'm not a final authority on anything. This dude was just obviously smarter than me because he'd compared videos of controlled demolitions to...

Well...

All the other videos where two jetliners crashed into two skyscrapers built with very unique architecture and unorthodox structural support, I suppose.

Jesus Christ. 20+ years now and I still have to deal with a loving Loose Change minded rear end in a top hat? Wonder if he has thoughts on Building 17 and the definition of "pull it"? I bet he does.

How long, oh Lord, how long?

WHO set the charges? When? Why? HOW? Why do we need the planes when we could just bomb the building and blame terrorists? If we needed an excuse to invade Iraq, we already had several, if Cheney and company wanted to make a case. Two decades in and nobody, out of the thousands of people you'd need to pull this off, ever confessed, did an undercover interview or wrote a book? Why hit the Pentagon if all you need is NYC/WTC? What's the point of Flight 93? How is that even needed? What's the point of using commercial jets filled with random passengers? Wouldn't the conspirators make sure to get pristine footage of the attack to sell it, instead of the shaky cam videos we got from people on the ground, especially at the Pentagon?

Sorry, but the whole thing just chaps my rear end and maybe doesn't belong in the RWM thread but I get more frustrated the more I think about it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

BiggerBoat posted:

If we needed an excuse to invade Iraq, we already had several, if Cheney and company wanted to make a case.

And for that matter, if they wanted an excuse to invade Iraq they might have at least used Iraqis as the hijackers rather than their best buddies supplied by the House of Saud.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah the total :smug: of conspiracy buffs combined with the utter ridiculousness of the conspiracies is a real pain in the rear end.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I wrong for thinking 9/11 conspiracy theories are couched entirely in the right-wing?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Star Man posted:

Am I wrong for thinking 9/11 conspiracy theories are couched entirely in the right-wing?

Nah, there's a bunch of left wing conspiracy theories as well. Sort of like anti-Covid stuff, reaching same conclusion from different details. Remember bush was in power during and after 9/11 so there was plenty of bush did 9/11 stuff so he could get a blank check to invade countries for oil stuff. Think that less mentioned now, but if you ask a lot of left wing conspiracy theorist they'll still often bring it up.

Source: I'm a bit of a hippy who goes to hippy festivals sometimes, so have end up talking to left wing conspiracy theorist stoned late night not infrequently.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I’m in an airline union and active in leftist circles-

We got a ton of weirdos who believe in conspiracy theories instead of the obvious reality, that some dudes from places like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and the UAE were not-wrongly pissed at the USA and flew some planes into some buildings

Actually I associate conspiracy theory with the left. On the right there’s no need- boots, asses, war rules USA USA USA etc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Star Man posted:

Yes.

Leftists can also point to the US's long history of false flag casus belli (Gulf of Tompkin, the Main, hell even Pearl Harbor was provoked) and say "why not here?"
The leftist 9/11 conspiracies are less "inside job" and more "allowed to happen"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually I associate conspiracy theory with the left. On the right there’s no need- boots, asses, war rules USA USA USA etc

A lot of modern conspiracy thinking is inherently right-wing in that it can be summed up as "what if someone did to white people what white people do to everyone else?" (surveillance, a security force dedicated to their oppression, unjust incarceration, seizure of property, medical experimentation, etc.)

It's just part of the Great Projection Complex. Not that it's the only kind of conspiracy thinking, of course, but it's the most visible in the present climate.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes.

Leftists can also point to the US's long history of false flag casus belli (Gulf of Tompkin, the Main, hell even Pearl Harbor was provoked) and say "why not here?"
The leftist 9/11 conspiracies are less "inside job" and more "allowed to happen"

Saying Pearl Harbor was provoked removes a lot of agency from what Japan was doing in the Pacific.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I hate to bring up Matt Taibbi because of how his brain melted, but a part of The Great Derangement that always stuck with me was him pointing out that every 9/11 conspiracy theory hinges on the assumption that the American people just would not stand for an invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan without the groundswell of patriotic fervor that comes from being the victim of a terrorist attack. The government needed to stage the attacks because the people would rise up!

But, like, no. That's not a thing. The government's not scared of that. They don't need to blow up the Twin Towers and kill 3000 people to avoid that. It's a fantasy that hinges on the assumption that politicians are ever terrified of the will of the people and mass resistance, which they aren't and never have been. Thinking that Joe Average's opinion about what poo poo the US is getting up to in the Middle East has that kind of power is somewhere between naive and a comforting lie.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hunt11 posted:

Saying Pearl Harbor was provoked removes a lot of agency from what Japan was doing in the Pacific.

It makes them rational actors in international relations instead of some moustache twirling villains.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

9/11 trutherism started as a mainly left thing because the Right was in power and their narrative and use of the event was pretty straightforward.

All conspiracy theory became much more inherently right wing since Trump's election due to his aggressive war on truth and the media. People on the right are no longer moored to objective reality and everything from vaccine craziness to Qanon are all available to believe now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

After The War posted:

A lot of modern conspiracy thinking is inherently right-wing in that it can be summed up as "what if someone did to white people what white people do to everyone else?" (surveillance, a security force dedicated to their oppression, unjust incarceration, seizure of property, medical experimentation, etc.)

It's just part of the Great Projection Complex. Not that it's the only kind of conspiracy thinking, of course, but it's the most visible in the present climate.

I don’t disagree, but 9/11 specifically hits me as very left. I mean, I was too young to properly Remember, but I’m pretty certain Bush Jr didn’t need a conspiracy or a false flag or any attack: Dude could have just walked out onto all the news networks and radio stations and announced “we’re going to bomb some countries because my dad didn’t get to finish off Saddam” and rode to the finish line with more votes than his re-election actually got

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There's a book that's all interviews with Vietnam vets - over and over, they all say post-WWII that Americans all but assumed WWIII would be against Russia, and that the Vietnam War was just a warm-up for the next big show.

That, plus the multitude of "we'll turn their country into glass" comments after 9/11, PLUS Trump getting a huge pop anytime he uses the phrase "I'll bomb the hell out of them," tells me America really wants foreign policy to work like dicking around in a Grand Theft Auto game. "You know what? gently caress... that guy!"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

It makes them rational actors in international relations instead of some moustache twirling villains.

There is a way to say that without saying that Japan was provoked by the US no longer trading them the resources they needed to keep their wars of expansion going.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm not sure looking in detail at what Imperial Japan was doing in Asia at the time makes them look less like mustache twirling villains. But it is more honest than just saying they're evil or whatever.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t disagree, but 9/11 specifically hits me as very left. I mean, I was too young to properly Remember, but I’m pretty certain Bush Jr didn’t need a conspiracy or a false flag or any attack: Dude could have just walked out onto all the news networks and radio stations and announced “we’re going to bomb some countries because my dad didn’t get to finish off Saddam” and rode to the finish line with more votes than his re-election actually got

Before 9/11 happened I doubt that Bush Jr. could have easily just started a war without any pushback. He barely "won" (is this a conspiracy?) his election with a very contentious supreme court ruling. His approval rating basically shot up because of 9/11 and then whenever something involving the war happened.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/George_W_Bush_approval_ratings_with_events.svg

Edit: Plus 9/11 ushered in all those laws that increased Presidential power that were basically rubber stamped by congress, its not that hard to see how leftists thought it was a false flag.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I have been on the "suspicious/allowed to happen" with a little "scheduled desteuction" train until recently when I watched the "Well there's your problem" episode on 9/11 on YouTube with the visual aids the host had and yeah the wtc definitely was a weird building. Center posts surrounded by glass and floors practically. Makes a lot more sense to me that hitting its spines with a whole rear end plane was enough. Very goof construction. Wack buildings.

Tho fwiw a lot of my own conspiracy sink was influence by new Yorker friends and their local gossip/theories on it.

It's harder I guess for people to accept that we just got our rear end kicked by a successful terrorist attack. Harder for people to accept I guess that "we couldn't possibly be defeated so it was on purpose "

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Part of the issue is that if you assume the conspiracy theory is true, it still makes no sense. Like even if we accept the premises that Bush both needed a casus belli and was morally bankrupt enough to be willing to stage a false flag attack to get one, the attack that played out is not the one anyone would stage. The WTC was a major economic hub, and the Pentagon is, you know, the motherfucking Pentagon. You don't saw off your own arm when you want to fake sick to stay home from school. Why not have faux-terrorists shoot up a few daycares, or blow up some federal buildings, or crash the planes in fields with the reveal coming after that they planned to slam into the White House - or slam into the Lincoln Memorial, whatever. Like there are countless other ways Bush could have fabricated general outrage and fear at least as powerful as what we got, and without causing substantial damage to the US economy and military.

When you fake being in a fight, you bloody your nose, you don't break your skull.

But yeah. It's a common problem in a lot of conspiracy theories. If the conspiracy - and let's just call them the Illuminati because they functionally are by and large - is so powerful that it can do the things the theorists are claiming they did, then why didn't they do it one of the many obvious ways that would further their goals more effectively? The events of 9/11 are not particularly conducive towards the goals of the United States and/or George W. Bush, but were pretty conducive towards the goals of al-Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I had liberal friends that from the beginning said it was an “inside job” and that Bush did 9/11. It was all going to end with Bush declaring himself President for life because of the wars he started and the powers he had given himself.

When Obama was elected, they stopped pushing the conspiracy theories and the right wing picked up one for Obama. Honestly, until Trump, the right wing wing still celebrated patriotically 9/11 and the Bush dynasty. The rise of the “deep state” conspiracy and Trump openly saying the 9/11 was suspicious has been the catalyst for the right wing take over of that conspiracy their.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s a lot bigger than just GW, but 9/11 doesn’t happen without the economic and military efforts spearheaded by the Cowboy faction. Bush didn’t do 9/11, but he inherited the parapolitical structures and was the scion of the project that laid an enormous amount of groundwork for it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I’m in an airline union and active in leftist circles-

We got a ton of weirdos who believe in conspiracy theories instead of the obvious reality, that some dudes from places like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and the UAE were not-wrongly pissed at the USA and flew some planes into some buildings

Speaking of airline unions, what the hell was up with that story about a fight stewardess that got canned for sending anti abortion propiganda only to sue and get some huge payout afterwards? How the hell does that happen?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HootTheOwl posted:

About as convincing as the rest of the Realist school's arguments.

Turns out if you paint the target around the arrow it's a bullseye!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

Speaking of airline unions, what the hell was up with that story about a fight stewardess that got canned for sending anti abortion propiganda only to sue and get some huge payout afterwards? How the hell does that happen?

Charlene Carter!

She harassed her boss saying she was despicable for attending the pussyhat rally in 2017 and the jury found she was being persecuted for her religious beliefs. Trump-appointed judge agreed.

I’m almost ok with that case bc in almost any other situation the person being laid off for religious belief would be getting laid off for any other belief than evangelical protestant so she’s kinda the exception that proves the rule.

I’m not ok with it bc well I’ll just quote the Dallas Morning News

quote:

The National Right to Work Committee said the union violated Carter’s religious liberty by supporting pro-abortion groups and causes.

“Ms. Carter’s victory should prompt nationwide scrutiny of union bosses’ coercive, government-granted powers over workers, especially in the airline and rail industries,” said a statement from National Right to Work Foundation President Mark Mix. “Even after her victory, she and her colleagues at Southwest and other airlines under union control can be forced, as per the Railway Labor Act, to pay money to union officials just to keep their jobs.”

Starr also warned the airline and the union not to retaliate against Carter and to post the jury verdict in break rooms, on bulletin boards and to send it to employees.

Scab some more

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Star Man posted:

I think for a good long while they were almost entirely the domain of the left. I remember Bill Maher bouncing a bunch of Building 17 activists out of his studio.

I didn't notice a shift until Bin Laden was killed and since that could never happen since Obama loves terrorists, then it was kind of, well, if they faked Osama's death, what else did they fake? That and the rise in belief of the Deep State and the ever nebulous "they" that are secretly controlling everything.

But there was a ton of left leaning poo poo about Bush and Cheney orchestrating it (or letting it happen) so that we could invade Iraq again.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

All I'll say is that anyone who believes that the Bush Administration pulled off a false flag attack as part of a multi-layered strategy to invade Iraq, which by necessity would include organizing thousands of independent actors, running airtight cover stories, building ad hoc counter narratives to beguile the media, capturing and eliminating evidence without being caught, and all while constantly under 24/7 scrutiny, clearly paid no attention to how well that very same gang ran the Afghani and Iraqi occupations

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I think the right-wing side of 9/11 conspiracy theorizing in the immediate wake wasn't so much the evil feds did it (they loved the feds starting, oddly, on 1/20/01) as "all the MOOSLIMS are in on this! Like that one right there! Get 'im, boys!" and "the French are IN ON THIS because they won't charge with us into Iraq, so we're changing the name of those cut-up fried potato things!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1700699421900734628
https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1701006665708093860

i've said before that this new phase in the rightwing culture war is truly fascinating. sure, there's nothing new about rightwingers whining that girls in children's shows aren't fuckable enough, but this isn't sargon of akkad or thequartering, or some other basement dwelling youtuber. this guy was/is considered one of the top "respectable" conservative intellectuals, not some knuckle dragging troglodyte. he even has the ear of the richest man on the planet. yet here he is, declaring in public, how he's lamenting a teenage girl in a film designed for little kids, doesn't get him hard.

also, bonus tweet:

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1701007603596448225