Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Give OU the death penalty

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Week 2 of the Paxton impeachment trial is kicking off. About how much longer do we have to go?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Patrick said that they're going to close the evidence and arguments probably on Thursday and then it's deliberations

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Mizanur_TX/status/1701222188546670629

Should be done with triple digits for the year

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Mizanur_TX/status/1701222188546670629

Should be done with triple digits for the year

We would if people like Zoux wouldn't jinx it.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
They just broke for lunch in the trial because bagpipes were being played in the rotunda and it got too loud.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol.

Also interesting gambit on the part of the defense going with "It is not illegal to obstruct an FBI investigation"

Like I could see a jury acquitting on the "Paxton technically committed no crimes" but he has clearly committed acts that render him unfit for office.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh sure they kick me out for trying to provide a lil pomp

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

zoux posted:

Lol.

Also interesting gambit on the part of the defense going with "It is not illegal to obstruct an FBI investigation"

Like I could see a jury acquitting on the "Paxton technically committed no crimes" but he has clearly committed acts that render him unfit for office.

... is it not illegal to obstruct an FBI investigation?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LIterally what the defense attorney said, that there are circuit court opinions that say it is impossible to obstruct an FBI investigation because it is not an "official proceeding"

This blog discusses it a bit, it's one of Trump's own defenses
https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/does-fbi-investigation-qualify-under-obstruction-justice-statutes-closer-look

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also their other main gambit is arguing that Nate Paul's allegations that a federal magistrate colluded with agents of the FBI, DPS, and state security board was true and the whistleblowers were negligent in not rigorously investigating it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A witness in the Paxton trial had to clarify that his head LITERALLY did not explode, only figuratively.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mr patrick my client is clearly not a corncob

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alright they're getting into the mistress stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Alright they're getting into the mistress stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1701331873924788605?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

They have an excellent spicy chicken sandwich with a cole slaw garnish and finely sliced fresh jalapeños, highly recommended

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yeah comptroller mention at the trial

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Does Paxton side have any witnesses on their side? Did I miss one?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Does Paxton side have any witnesses on their side? Did I miss one?

House hasn’t rested yet, but idk who they would call

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

hell yeah comptroller mention at the trial

What pronunciation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The stupid one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa he's actually taken a hit

It's all among republicans too

-20 since impeachement

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 12, 2023

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

zoux posted:

House hasn’t rested yet, but idk who they would call

Rumblings are going around that the trial may end this week. Gives credence that the defense's angle may not be much besides "liberal agenda", the word RINO a bunch, and character appeals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was stated directly from the dais by the Lt. Governor on Friday, reiterated on Monday. He said they expect to close evidence on Thursday and then it depends on how long the Senate wants to pretend to deliberate. Today, I was shocked when the prosecution called Cammack, I figured no one would call him but if anyone did, it'd be the defense. His testimony is brutal for Paxton.

https://twitter.com/AmyDashTV/status/1701629440357175781

I can't belive that JERRY JONES said that

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 12, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jerry Jones? That nice guy that everyone loves?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah this guy right here

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah this guy right here

So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux has 69 posts until 10,000 itt

also over 160,000 total yikes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

why are you doxxing me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new property tax law this session which marks posts as business personal property

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm hosed...I'm going to go make 160,000 fyad posts brb

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

It was stated directly from the dais by the Lt. Governor on Friday, reiterated on Monday. He said they expect to close evidence on Thursday and then it depends on how long the Senate wants to pretend to deliberate. Today, I was shocked when the prosecution called Cammack, I figured no one would call him but if anyone did, it'd be the defense. His testimony is brutal for Paxton.

Yeah, that seems damning if the guy Paxton hired to get around the whistleblowers is on the prosecution's side. Who does he have left to defend him?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

zoux posted:

Whoa he's actually taken a hit

It's all among republicans too

-20 since impeachement

I know people here think Republicans don't listen to anyone but Trump, but these numbers make me believe that Cut That Turd Lose is more likely than not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's no percentage in keeping him around. He's not some incredible genius, there are 1,000 fedsoc goons in Texas they could plug in there that could do what he was doing, he wasn't litigating matters in court (in fact, everything seems to point to him being, at best, a mediocre lawyer). Why keep him around when he's about to start his felony security fraud trial and probably will get some federal charges over all of this.

More than that he's being extremely disrespectful to the rest of the legislature, and while we may not think much of them, everyone of them has extremely high self-regard and institutional regard, so him not showing up at all and continuing to fundraise off of the trial is like spitting on the "jury"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Yeah, that seems damning if the guy Paxton hired to get around the whistleblowers is on the prosecution's side. Who does he have left to defend him?

Given the tenor of the testimony from the whistleblowers, I figured that Cammack would be some shithead ride-or-die partisan but it really does seem like he was an inexperienced patsy who thought he was conducting a legitimate investigation until he received a C&D from the OAG executive staff. I think he can sense which way the wind is blowing and has calculated the blowback from the insane rightwing bloc that's going to support Paxton no matter what is going to be less than lashing himself to the sinking ship that is Ken Paxton's career.

He does seem really nervous up there, probably because he knows his entire career is on the line.

e: gd it I meant to edit that in, that's another extraneous post that I am now self conscious about

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SAS gameday threads will fill the coffers this tax year

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

new property tax law this session which marks posts as business personal property

What’s your appraisal of my posts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tear-down

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If the posts are based in Austin, they still triple in value every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005