Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Saigyouji posted:

Latest episode of Blazar was easily one of the best so far. Just incredibly directed all round.

Agreed, surprisingly more like a classic Ultra Q episode, and Garamon for once isn't a cutesy mascot kaiju cheerleader.

Interesting that TDP has chosen not to portray Blazar as having any beam weapons, so far it's all been created energy weapons like the Double Rainbow Slash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I forget if it was mentioned but what exactly is this guy’s excuse for keeping his identity as Ultraman a secret other than series tradition (he’s literally the captain of the squad in this case)?

I always appreciate Mebius for ripping that particular bandaid off early on in the season and wish more Ultra shows would do the same (or maybe not even have a secret identity for once)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rumors going around on 5ch that starting next April, TV Asahi's Sunday morning block will be dissolved and the programming will be moved to Saturday afternoon so they can have a bigger kids' block there. It would be

Super Sentai 4PM
Kamen Rider 4:30
Precure 5
TBA program 5:30
Doraemon 6
Shinchan 6:30

Grain of salt, but Rider and Sentai had a Saturday block like this in the past, plus Sunday morning has a lot of competition, with TV Asahi wanting to use it as more of a news focused block.

This would mean Sentai and Rider would be Friday afternoon from 3-4 on the US East Coast, 2-3 once Standard time kicks in

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While I wouldn't be shocked if it happened I seems really unlikely given the ratings the three shows pull in and even with streaming a major time slot change is super risky

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Incredible bodyswap episode. The actors are clearly all having a lot of fun. Kingownsger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, they actually let the actors act out of character rather than just swapping the voices around (the former is my personal favorite way of doing a body swap story).

I forget, is this the first time we’ve seen Rita fully unmasked in the show itself?

Haven’t seen Gotchard yet but was the second episode any better than the first?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1700890376519995661

WHAT THE gently caress

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So it’s based on explosions ala Dynaman then? Odd but ok

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, explosions are cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also as it happens, next year will be Dynaman’s 40th anniversary

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Larryb posted:

So it’s based on explosions ala Dynaman then? Odd but ok

Could be what Dynaman was going to be and be a Baseball themed Sentai.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

Also I forget if it was mentioned but what exactly is this guy’s excuse for keeping his identity as Ultraman a secret other than series tradition (he’s literally the captain of the squad in this case)?

It's not clear how much Gento is in control of or even aware of what Blazar does, even less so with the bomb in this episode of Blazar unambiguously doing something on its own without warning. On top of this and his direct orders, Gento as commander has a duty not to assume that Blazar will do anything or even be present when he plans his responses. Blazar is not accountable and SKaRD cannot plan around it.

The questions raised about Blazar itself are honestly one of the most lowkey fascinating aspects of the show. The only thing we know is that it's a curious gremlin with very little understanding of humanity. Blazar is not a god, a savior, or a friend. It doesn't talk and it can't communicate much intent, benevolent or otherwise. As far as anyone can tell, it's a truly alien entity that just happens to protect us.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah in a way, that's more refreshing than having an Ultraman with a 'human' personality. Zett is almost the exact opposite of this guy.

It also gives the show's writers more to do in fleshing out the supporting characters, which so far is a plus in my book.

Speaking of Zett, it looks like the next Blazar episode will involve a theme that was touched back in a Zett episode, that of a kaiju just doing what it can to protect its child, for once I'm genuinely interested in the outcome.

What will Blazar do, especially when joined by Gento, who is a parent himself? We don't know poo poo about Blazar, but we definitely know Gento is a family man, and not like Zett who was a bachelor. He's not likely to just sit back and let Blazar skewer the parent and child for the sake of protecting humanity..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 10, 2023

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z was like the worst of both worlds, between a regular-joe Ultra who hung out with the hero but didn't have a real character and a distant presence who granted the hero fighting power but couldn't be said to symbolize anything.

I guess Blazar really is the opposite. It doesn't do shtick or try to banter or anything, but despite this it is very clearly an extremely weird little guy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Caphi posted:

Z was like the worst of both worlds, between a regular-joe Ultra who hung out with the hero but didn't have a real character and a distant presence who granted the hero fighting power but couldn't be said to symbolize anything.

I guess Blazar really is the opposite. It doesn't do shtick or try to banter or anything, but despite this it is very clearly an extremely weird little guy.

I'm going to disagree with you, sorry.. Zett was basically a noob Ultra, the wet behind the ears recruit fresh out of boot camp, and with just the right amount of self awareness to realize he's not an expert in any matters, even in his alternate forms.

That the extra powers even work well for him is a result of their inherent ability overcoming the noob aspect; the best example of this is Gamma Future, he is rarely ever surprised by kaiju in this mode and he can even multitask in it, like when he fights Bullton.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Z is an Ultra-dork and that's what makes him fun

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second episode of Gotchard was slightly better than the first at least and I kind of like the theme song, still not feeling the main character but the show’s got potential

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I loved how Z and Haruki can have banter. Thats one of the best parts of the show.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"Z learned Earth-ese in a classroom and thus swaps between formal and informal on a dime which really throws Haruki off" was a great gag

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I loved how Z and Haruki can have banter. Thats one of the best parts of the show.

Z was my first Ultra show and it weirds me out that none of the subsequent ultras man talk to their blokes. Feels like a missed opportunity because Blazar talking would be good fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I mean it looks like there is some interest in the show in figuring it out, based on the latest episode so hopefully it's not just an unsolved mystery.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Also as it happens, next year will be Dynaman’s 40th anniversary

Yeah wasn't that season one of the really popular ones from the early days of the franchise?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coq au Nandos posted:

Z was my first Ultra show and it weirds me out that none of the subsequent ultras man talk to their blokes. Feels like a missed opportunity because Blazar talking would be good fun.

I feel the opposite. I liked Haruki and Z's dynamic (even if the series mostly half-asses it and we've gotten better versions before with Daichi and X, and Leito and Zero) but this is a lot more unique. We've never had an Ultra that's this alien, it's a breath of fresh air to see one that's just a bit off in all senses and how much we're getting out of him entirely through body language. It reminds me a lot of the original Ultraman, but even he was a lot more normal and did speak at the very beginning and very end of the show (plus he never went as far as forcing Hayata to transform or drink something, he was just a dick in combat).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Getting around to watching Gotchard and this CGI train driving around screaming "STEAM" is probably a lot funnier than they intended it to be

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Generally speaking, if something is funny in tokusatsu, it's funny on purpose.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is Abaranger good? I just watched Abaranger vs Donbrothers and the characters seem really fun, so I'm interested in it now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Abaranger good? I just watched Abaranger vs Donbrothers and the characters seem really fun, so I'm interested in it now.

There’s some problems with tonal whiplash but it’s a fun ride in my opinion, the whole series is on DVD and available for streaming on Shout Factory TV if you’re interested. It’s got a really fun cast too as you mentioned

The episode of Power Rangers Dino Thunder where they watch a (not particularly accurate) dub of the series kind of paints the wrong picture of it. The show can be goofy as gently caress no question (there was one episode where they literally did a crossover with a fishing anime) but can also get super dark at times as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 12, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's pretty fun. Has one of my favorite yellow Rangers in Ranru. She bucks what felt like a trend with female Sentai rangers where they want to be idols, but in her case Ranru started out training to be one but what she really wanted was to be a grease monkey.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty good Blazar! The only thing is, who was punching who?! :O

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

? it was very obvious. Gen was going to kill the monster and blazar stopped him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The hero Terra deserves, Jeremy

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Since they spent most of the episode trying to establish that Gento is a father and family man, I'm gonna go with Gento holding back Blazar.

Blazar feels the only way to resolve the situation is to just straight up murder 'parent and child,' but Gento shows him that he doesn't need to kill them just for the sake of protecting humans.

It's interesting that Zett faced a similar situation, but he didn't realize what what going on until too late, his inner conflict has to be settled by a surprise visit courtesy of Bullton to Haruki's fireman dad in the past telling him sometimes he's got to break some eggs to make omelettes.

Here, Gento clearly heads off the murder, even if he has to punch himself/Blazar to do it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Binary Badger posted:

Since they spent most of the episode trying to establish that Gento is a father and family man, I'm gonna go with Gento holding back Blazar.

Blazar feels the only way to resolve the situation is to just straight up murder 'parent and child,' but Gento shows him that he doesn't need to kill them just for the sake of protecting humans.

No chance. The entire episode is about how Gento is making assumptions, starting from the cold open where a news report is talking about how babies can only communicate by crying and it's up to the parents to interpret what it wants, followed by Gento flashing back to every time Blazar has attempted to communicate with him. This lays the foundation that Gento is at a disadvantage re: situational awareness, and that the episode being about children is not about disciplining, but empathizing.

Then, Gento tells his son that kaiju lives cannot be prioritized over potential harm to humans, in the face of the exact "but the monster is a parent too" rhetoric. He then turns back, not because he's having second thoughts about what the GDF/SKaRD are doing himself - his attitude towards SKaRD up to that point is "okay, you got this, do your job" - but because Blazar keeps whining at him. And remember, we have established that Gento's understanding of what Blazar wants is specifically unreliable.

When he returns, his son tells him that he liked "Blazar today," i.e. Blazar showing mercy. This is not a victory lap or confirmation for Gento, it's informing him that Blazar made the right decision.

Finally, this episode is not a conclusion - the conflict between Blazar and the GDF head "blow 'em to kingdom come" guy is continuing into the next episode. It's hard to believe that Gento's personal development on the issue is done with and that his role in the conflict is to get a handle on Ultraman, who agrees with the bad guy. Nothing about this episode sets up Gento as the party who comes in with the wisdom, perspective, or moral high ground on basically any facet of the issue.

It's much more likely that Gento, by proximity to Blazar and through his son's wisdom from the mouth of babes, is about to be the first member of the anti-kaiju military hierarchy to understand the meaning of peace and coexistence, and get closer to Blazar himself by doing so. But if not, I'll eat my red and white hat.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 19, 2023

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
And not even including all of those factors, whenever Blazar is in control he dominates the left side of the body - such as with Gento's left eye turning blue. This is the same side as the crystalline "scar" on the side of his head, and where all the colors are on Blazar's body. Then there's the part where, while possessing Gento, Blazar completely hyperfixates on the baby on TV, and later keeps nudging Gento when Gento sees Baby Demaaga being endangered.

There's also the fact Gento is a seasoned kaiju killer - you can see his record in the OP along with the other SKaRD members and it's got a decade of monster-hunting accredited to him. Maybe he's had a situation like Haruki in Z before where he's dealt with kaiju babies, but he's long-since hit the point where he feels the best solution to kaiju problems is killing them and it doesn't really bother him, we already saw he had the "sacrifice one for many" mentality in the Nijikagachi episodes as well and was willing to put a bullet in his own mentor to save Japan.

There's a very clear parallel arc going on with Gento regaining his empathy after a career of being the legendary bad-to-the-bones soldier and Blazar developing empathy after a life of being a primitive hunter who sees monsters exclusively as prey to hunt.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was Blazar stopping Gento rather than the other way around (I believe he's been shown to protect certain kaiju in the past as well)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, everything Gento has said and done even before this episode is consistent with someone who understands an active kaiju as an existential threat that it's his job to solve one way or another. A warrior, in other words. He will allow someone like Anri to neutralize a kaiju without missiles if he thinks it's feasible, but he wouldn't just let one be. The reason he couldn't talk down Professor Rainbow Arm is because the only argument he could deploy was "but what about the human suffering?"

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 19, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 22, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao toy ads galore with the new Blazer episode. :v

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao toy ads galore with the new Blazer episode. :v

Hey gotta pay for those brand new kaiju suits somehow

Blazar's exit kinda reminded me of Team Rocket blasting off again..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm rather enjoying how Blazar is still a mystery. It's neat to see an Ultra show where the host is baffled about what the gently caress is going on with this weird alien he can change into.

Also more new kaiju is wild- I'm really glad they are leaning into just making new beasts instead of just having 3-5 new guys for the entire season and bringing back the tried and true kaiju all the time, even though I'm definitely the target for such nostalgia. Admittedly I'm looking forward to the return of Gavadon ; I'm pretty sure that episode is to be directed (and probably written) by Takao Nakano.