Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

honestly not gonna weep too hard for the poor mobile F2P games being oppressed by big mean unity

just charge a fair price up front that’s higher than unity’s cut and everything will be fine
Mobile F2P games aren't the ones who are going to be affected the worst since their main revenue stream is from microtransactions. The whole pitch is basically "come here to release your microtransaction-laden garbage, we're not going to take any of it unlike those other guys!" because it's purely based on installs and not revenue. If anything, it looks like whoever came up with this system just forgot that literally any games that aren't mobile F2P games exist. A revenue share would have been not only more reasonable but probably more lucrative in the long run. This insane system simply punishes smaller non-F2P devs who happen to cross an arbitrary threshold and, bizarrely, devs who used Unity in the past.

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't apply to gambling products. I wonder how they're going to litigate that in a world where half the EU considers lootboxes generally sus.

Also China is classified as an emerging market so their ~billion potential user market only cost ~10% as much as a United States, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, South Korea, or United Kingdom user.

E - It seems like a push for the ad platform more than anything. They're definitely fishing for phone game trash money.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Volte posted:

The whole pitch is basically "come here to release your microtransaction-laden garbage, we're not going to take any of it unlike those other guys!" because it's purely based on installs and not revenue.

It's based on both. You have to have a certain number of installs AND a certain amount of revenue to trigger it. If your game is free you will never trigger it. If your guarantee income per user you will trigger it but it's survivable. If you have a vast number of installs and most of them don't pay but some of them do, you may be hosed

They are calling it "not revenue share" because it's a flat fee rather than a percentage

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

It's based on both. You have to have a certain number of installs AND a certain amount of revenue to trigger it. If your game is free you will never trigger it. If your guarantee income per user you will trigger it but it's survivable. If you have a vast number of installs and most of them don't pay but some of them do, you may be hosed

They are calling it "not revenue share" because it's a flat fee rather than a percentage

It's based on game revenue, but not charged based on it. If you make $200k from in app purchases in a year you'll get charged for every user install past 200k.

https://unity.com/runtime-fee posted:

Revenue definition

A game or app’s “total revenue” includes all revenue generated (without limitation) to retail sales, in-app purchases, subscription fees, web payments, offline payments, ads-based revenue, etc. Total revenue is calculated without deduction, including any relevant digital store fees.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ShinEyeZehUhh/status/1701302338693046320?t=uT1vJRof5YqvxE3QXlNwUQ&s=19

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

In unrelated age related news, Steam is turning 20 today!

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam20

They've even helpfully compiled a timeline to help you remember just how old some memes and events are!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

goatface posted:

It's based on game revenue, but not charged based on it. If you make $200k from in app purchases in a year you'll get charged for every user install past 200k.

I didn't see that, but yeah. Once you hit both thresholds, you are charged per user regardless of ARPU. F2P games are hosed because they try to maximize installs while having a very small but nonzero ARPU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1701669354956546541?t=DCOc7ELMr70cLWZ2VNWyZA&s=19

quote:

And NOW consider bundles. Each install or activation counts as something that must be paid. We did the itch.io bundle for ukraine. That was approximately a million games given out per developer. If all those were installed, developers would owe $200,000 just for having given their game to charity. It makes charity bundles completely unfeasible.

quote:

If the agreement changes underneath you as you're making the game, you can't budget for it, and trust is completely lost. We did not plan for this, and it screws us massively on Demonschool, which is tracking to be our most successful game. You might say poor you, but again, we did not sign up for this and have no option to say no, since we're close to release and this change is 4 months out. You can't simply remake an entire game in another engine when you've been working on it for 4+ years.

quote:

It's a rotten deal that only makes sense if you're looking at numbers, and assume everyone will keep using your product. Well, I don't think people will keep using their product unless they're stuck. I know one such developer who is stuck, who's estimating this new scheme will cost them $100,000/month on a free to play game, where their revenue isn't guaranteed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

I didn't see that, but yeah. Once you hit both thresholds, you are charged per user regardless of ARPU. F2P games are hosed because they try to maximize installs while having a very small but nonzero ARPU
F2P games that are actually profitable are probably not hosed because they are hopefully making way more money per install than Unity is charging them (at least I think that's Unity's thinking). It's the $5 games where the dev has a bit of success (enough to cross the threshold, which isn't exactly a high bar) but then sales eventually peter out but you still have people installing the game from now to eternity that will continue to accrue ongoing charges for the developer. Hell, it's creating a situation where giving your game away in a bundle could be financially disastrous.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some of these are plausible

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Some of these are plausible

Very conservative games about discovering the failure of libertarianism, trying to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy, and having a sword fight with Dick Cheney

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Volte posted:

Mobile F2P games aren't the ones who are going to be affected the worst since their main revenue stream is from microtransactions. The whole pitch is basically "come here to release your microtransaction-laden garbage, we're not going to take any of it unlike those other guys!" because it's purely based on installs and not revenue. If anything, it looks like whoever came up with this system just forgot that literally any games that aren't mobile F2P games exist. A revenue share would have been not only more reasonable but probably more lucrative in the long run. This insane system simply punishes smaller non-F2P devs who happen to cross an arbitrary threshold and, bizarrely, devs who used Unity in the past.

this whole post makes no sense
mtx-driven f2p games make significantly less revenue per install than buy-to-play games. most f2p games have an average revenue per user below $5 -- for every moron / gambling addict who spends $5000 you have 1000+ who spend $0. candy crush is a billion dollar franchise and from a quick google search has an ARPU of 20-40 cents per month

you end up making way less per install than an indie game that just sold copies for $15 and definitely less than a game selling copies for $40 or $60.
unity's move is hitting smaller and f2p games harder and pricier buy-to-play games less

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah i can only assume those are all games with characters like Senator Armstrong whom they totally agree with

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They are all conservative games if you just imagine that the villain of the game is a communist and don't think about any of the other stuff.

Link rescues the triforce from the communist Ganondorf. Bioshock is about stopping the communist who runs Rapture. Quake is about saving the universe from the communist Shub-Niggurath. Goldeneye is, well, okay that one tracks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the bundle thing they're definitely gonna have to address because whoever came up with the language for that, never considered or didn't realize that bundles were a thing. they already said on their forums that as far as mobile games go, "installs" don't mean installs, its the act of someone adding the game to their account. and they need to clarify that they're not actually tracking installs on pc either and actually mean sales

I don't really see how demonschool is gonna get hosed on it though other than the general sense of, it being hosed that they suddenly need to pay a potentially decently sized royalty they weren't accounting for, but not big enough that they're gonna lose money on it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sadly it appears that Silksong will need to completely restart development on a new engine

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Volte posted:

They are all conservative games if you just imagine that the villain of the game is a communist and don't think about any of the other stuff.

Link rescues the triforce from the communist Ganondorf. Bioshock is about stopping the communist who runs Rapture. Quake is about saving the universe from the communist Shub-Niggurath. Goldeneye is, well, okay that one tracks

Goldeneye is about swearing at your presumably communist friend for picking oddjob

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this whole post makes no sense
mtx-driven f2p games make significantly less revenue per install than buy-to-play games. most f2p games have an average revenue per user below $5 -- for every moron / gambling addict who spends $5000 you have 1000+ who spend $0. candy crush is a billion dollar franchise and from a quick google search has an ARPU of 20-40 cents per month
Candy Crush made $1.2 billion in 2021, and above 1 million installs the fee for Unity Enterprise is 1 cent. Unless there were on the order of 100+ billion installs of the game in 2021 alone, they would not be hosed if they were a Unity game. I'm not saying the biggest F2P devs won't be impacted at all and have to pay (in absolute sense) a huge amount of money, but it's not going to be enough to make the business untenable. The pricing structure is designed to keep the big F2P players from being hosed over because that's specifically the kind of devs that Unity wants. They want companies to care about their ad tech and their monetization stuff and give them money per install and justify it because they'll make it all back from microtransactions (in Unity's view). They're so laser focused on that demographic which they've been trying to court for years now that the actual demographic that they already have is getting completely screwed. The fees aren't that bad in the far reaches of success, it's that early part, below 500,000 or a million (not to mention forever with Unity Personal) that smaller devs might only dream of reaching where the real nonsense happens.

Really the stupidest thing about the per-install fee is that nobody can do any meaningful analytics on it. It's not a monthly fee so you can't just work it into the ARPU calculation, but it could be a monthly fee or worse if users are reinstalling it every month. All you can do is visualize various worst-case scenarios and hope for the best.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 12, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
candy crush was just an illustrative example, the point is that there will be many small or medium sized f2p games with the same ARPU who don't fit into the highest brackets

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679721027633280?t=siSM8EivDVhCcFxpmc6z1A&s=19

The bundle thing is accounted for somehow , Unity claims, and they will have fraud detection measures to prevent mass reinstall trolling..?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Wow that's actually worse than I assumed. RIP the concept of any Unity game being on Game Pass.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iOS and I suspect most other platforms don't tell an app when it gets deleted and reinstalled since local user data is untouched, I wonder how they plan to enforce that for storefronts they don't control

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

iOS and I suspect most other platforms don't tell an app when it gets deleted and reinstalled since local user data is untouched, I wonder how they plan to enforce that for storefronts they don't control
I wouldn't be surprised if this runs afoul of Apple's notoriously stringent privacy policies as well. Even if they managed to come up with some way to figure out if it's a fresh install through fingerprinting, it could get hypothetically get Unity blacklisted from the App Store if Apple thinks they're exfiltrating user data that they have no right to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird to charge for every time the end customer decides to upgrade their computer/device. Reinstall-to-restore could add up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Volte posted:

John Riccitiello

this explains everything

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I would consider Persona 4 conservative but not in the way these guys think probably.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Aren't there a couple of good games made with Unity?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bone emulator posted:

Hollow Knight and Neon White were made with Unity. A ton of good games were made with Unity. There are a lot of bad Unity games but that's just because it has a historically low barrier to entry and people started to associate it with zero effort shovelware.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and Tyranny are all made with Unity too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:jeb:

There are a LOT of unity games by now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bone emulator posted:

plenty; noted money printer genshin impact is a unity game, as are hearthstone, hollow knight, cuphead, pillars of eternity 1 and 2, and beat saber

unity's bad reputation was mostly because there was a period in the early-mid 2010s where asset flips were rampant and unity was the engine of choice for it, and i know some devs don't particularly like working with it for structural reasons. it's still probably the best entry level option for 2D/3D development due to its ongoing support and massive userbase, so changes like this are mostly being accepted begrudgingly because there aren't a lot of viable alternatives

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Volte posted:

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and Tyranny are all made with Unity too

They asked for good games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

They asked for good games

prepare to meet my blade

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol this is such a crazy change to make, wherever I go in my industry chats, everyone is just dumbfounded.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now pirating games will ACTUALLY lose the developer money

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

Now pirating games will ACTUALLY lose the developer money

developers will have to pay unity to release demos

focusing on the numbers made me miss how poorly thought out everything else is, lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

unity marketing guy learning about the concept of free weekends just now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering their CEO is John Riccitiello, the ex-EA CEO who Suda51 hated so much when he was doing Shadows of the Damned that he let you kill him in No More Heroes 3, and who at one point proposed that players pay for the bullets they reload into their gun in an FPS, this seems par for the course

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey if you’re staying at a friend’s house, do you need to ask their permission before using their shampoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would