Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RJ makes good movies

He just makes bad continuations of someone else's story with characters he doesn't understand

Give him his own corner and time of the galaxy to play in and he'd probably make some drat fine Star War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

euphronius posted:

The whole point of being an auteur is not listening to the fans

Does David lynch make films for his fans

David Lynch makes morning weather reports for his fans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah possibly. I mean like I said I’m a fan of his so Id watch it for a new RJ project than a Star Wars. Same way I watched dr strange 2 as a new Raimi flick.

Movie has a bad script but I enjoyed watching the master work his craft. Even if it was a bit hindered it places

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Roth posted:

Dave Filoni has done far better work with Star Wars than Rian Johnson's misunderstanding of the prequels

I guess? I never saw much of the Clone Wars or Rebels, people would recommend "great episodes" and they felt on the kid side of family friendly, and Mando's fall was a big bummer to me personally.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

why come at me personality lol

Why post if you don't want people contradicting you

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I guess? I never saw much of the Clone Wars or Rebels, people would recommend "great episodes" and they felt on the kid side of family friendly, and Mando's fall was a big bummer to me personally.

Mando always felt more like Jon Favreau's project to me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope Rian does get a trilogy at some point and he can just do a story on his own terms without the ghost of Abrams breathing down his neck.

e: he understood the prequels fine, his take was perfectly valid.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

I really hope Rian does get a trilogy at some point and he can just do a story on his own terms without the ghost of Abrams breathing down his neck.

e: he understood the prequels fine, his take was perfectly valid.

I would love more Rian Johnson star wars, but I question how Disney feels about the idea after how horrendously toxic fans got after TLJ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roth posted:

Why post if you don't want people contradicting you

Remember when we were friendly with each other

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

How is posting I prefer the opposite an attack on you personally?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Get his rear end!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

No one is ever truly friendly in a Star Wars forum

We're rakghouls, waiting for our moment to tear into one another over a perceived slight against our take on an aspect of the franchise, whether it's book, comic, Canon, Legends, movie, TV, or a shadow puppet play to amuse our younglings in the wee hours of the morn'

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vinylshadow posted:

No one is ever truly friendly in a Star Wars forum

i'm tired of these star wars

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Which one of you wise guys brought a lightsaber into the cave

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Upsidads posted:

Also Snyder cut, were the old director cuts like unicorn in blade runner fan interest too?

Zuh?

Roth posted:

How is posting I prefer the opposite an attack on you personally?

It's cp, that's just how he posts

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

stev posted:

Ew.

Not because of Johnson or anything, I'm just tired of everything having to be trilogies. I'm not greedy, I want one good movie. After I got that, I am OK with them making more. But miss me with trilogies that are touted as such from the onset, nobody around has the ability to pull that off anymore and it's honestly gotten pretty embarrassing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grendels Dad posted:

Ew.

Not because of Johnson or anything, I'm just tired of everything having to be trilogies. I'm not greedy, I want one good movie. After I got that, I am OK with them making more. But miss me with trilogies that are touted as such from the onset, nobody around has the ability to pull that off anymore and it's honestly gotten pretty embarrassing.

The only recent non-Star Wars examples I can think of are Jurassic World (bad) and GOTG (mostly good). Then before that you have Planet of the Apes which was great. The other Marvel ones are less trilogies and more '3+ films starring the same guy, largely made by different people'.

I think they can still be done well - it's just much harder now. But the key seems to be having a consistent creative voice behind it and some idea of where it's going to go from the start.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Does anyone know of a single movie that was successfully commitee'd across the finish line?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm fairly confident Denis Villeneuve will stick the landing on DUNC pt2 and God Emperor if they let him do it. You can sorta count that as a trilogy I guess.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Is it unreasonable to accept 95% of star wars goofiness but still find the spinning inquisitor lightsaber to be distractingly dumb? Makes me roll my eyes every time.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Glottis posted:

Is it unreasonable to accept 95% of star wars goofiness but still find the spinning inquisitor lightsaber to be distractingly dumb? Makes me roll my eyes every time.

i thought it was fine until they began using them like helicopter blades, and to this day i have no idea if it is the coolest or stupidest thing

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Does anyone know of a single movie that was successfully commitee'd across the finish line?

The Wizard of Oz.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Glottis posted:

Ironslave posted:

i thought it was fine until they began using them like helicopter blades, and to this day i have no idea if it is the coolest or stupidest thing
As always, it's just another example of the cultural exchange between Star Wars and Mobile Suit Gundam

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Final Destination - the test audiences wanted one thing, the studio said “nah let’s ignore the test audiences”, the studio ended up being right and the movie was a big hit.

Ironslave posted:

It’s the stupidest, OP. Hope that helps. :hfive:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I think the most underappreciated parts of Filoni Star Wars are his fleshing out of the Clones, the continuing story of Maul, and Asajj Ventress. The Clone Wars was really good about making the Clones feel like real people, which hammers home how horrible it is that the Republic has literally bred child soldiers to fight a war for them. The return of Maul and his story, lovingly voiced by Sam Witwer, is enthralling. It does justice to a character we don't get much time with in TPM, and he helps add depth to who and what the Sith really are. Ventress is also a fun recurring villain-turned-antihero, and serves as another parallel to Anakin (a Force-sensitive child taken from an unhappy home who struggled with her emotions).

Ahsoka gets a lot of attention, but I am glad he put energy into those characters as well.

Xenomrph posted:

I have rational and irrational hatred for them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm fairly confident Denis Villeneuve will stick the landing on DUNC pt2 and God Emperor if they let him do it. You can sorta count that as a trilogy I guess.

God Emperor seems redundant when he already did Arrival which is like two hours of a woman chatting with an incomprehensible giant being and experiencing non-linear memories of herself.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ironslave posted:

The payoff is that that *fails.* Because having to rely on gimmicks means that you are inferior. This is old wuxia language (and it started with Grevious).

Like, it was so obviously never supposed to be "cool." The Grand Inquisitor literally dies the second he resorts to spinny sabering. A dude helicopters to his death, comes back in Ahsoka, spins his saber again and immediately gets killed again.

I'm starting to get really lost as to how people read visual language just completely differently.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Final Destination - the test audiences wanted one thing, the studio said “nah let’s ignore the test audiences”, the studio ended up being right and the movie was a big hit.

Listening to the test audiences would still be doing the movie by committee though

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rogue One still rocks

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

why come at me personality lol

What personality?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

well why not posted:

Rogue One still rocks

It's just really lucky it has a baller ending.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

well why not posted:

Rogue One still rocks

Yeah....it can kick rocks!

If we're operating under the definition of wholly corporate art then the first Avengers movie immediately comes to mind unless we're really counting Joss Whedon as an auteur and lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What personality?

Haha, got 'em

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Depends on what you mean. Does "studio interference" count? Not the entire movie, but wasn't it the studio that insisted on changing the ending of Back to the Future from the fridge and a nuclear explosion to the now famous Delorean, because they were afraid of kids locking themselves into fridges? I'd call that a positive change, though who knows what the original ending would have actually looked like.

Also, I think the original script and proof of concept video for Toy Story had Woody being a completely unlikeable rear end in a top hat (as opposed to the only kind of unlikeable rear end in a top hat he is in the final movie), basically the villain, and Disney told them to change that and tone Woody way down. Don't know if that counts, but I doubt the original version would have been anywhere near as successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ejwJ0QXvs

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 13, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Depends on what you mean. Does "studio interference" count? Not the entire movie, but wasn't it the studio that insisted on changing the ending of Back to the Future from the fridge and a nuclear explosion to the now famous Delorean, because they were afraid of kids locking themselves into fridges? I'd call that a positive change, though who knows what the original ending would have actually looked like.

Nah. Like many Hollywood stories, this one is an apocryphal game of telephone that made something out of nothing over time. The early drafts of the BTTF screenplay are out there and you can see how different of a film it was at the time of the fridge. The studio may have given notes to that effect, but the entire structure of the film was so different that it wasn't even close to a case of swapping out an ending.

Studio notes aren't bad. Many have saved beloved films! Notes provide guidance for what's not working. The more prescriptive they are, the more difficult they are to integrate well, but the best ones provide perspective. There's a big difference between helpful stufio notes and taking a film away from a director, which it sounds like OP is talking about.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 13, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes feedmyleg, you got what I was driving at and I should have been more clear. There's probably less than half a dozen movies that were "saved" by taking it away from the director, out of the literal thousands of high profile movies. I can easily think of about 10 movies, on the other hand, that are widely viewed as substantially better in the director's cut. Seems like it's empirically a pretty bad idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yes feedmyleg, you got what I was driving at and I should have been more clear. There's probably less than half a dozen movies that were "saved" by taking it away from the director, out of the literal thousands of high profile movies. I can easily think of about 10 movies, on the other hand, that are widely viewed as substantially better in the director's cut. Seems like it's empirically a pretty bad idea.

Ah, my mistake. Then yeah, I can't think of any. I mean, I can think of a couple "director's cuts" that are worse than the originals, but not because the originals were taken away from the director, but because something else was going on with the original, and the director went back and made unneeded changes *coughcoughStarWarscoughcough*, so that definitely doesn't count.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid preview cut is probably better but it lacks the Knocking on Heaven's Door music when Slim Pickens dies. There's a documentary I can't find online where Kris Kristofferson talks about it, how Pekinpah was brilliant but that he was blind to certain things.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Neo Rasa posted:

God Emperor seems redundant when he already did Arrival which is like two hours of a woman chatting with an incomprehensible giant being and experiencing non-linear memories of herself.

I think OP meant Messiah instead of God Emperor, but I would love if the Dune films skipped the intervening 3500 years between Paul's victory and his kid's elaborate suicide plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think the most underappreciated parts of Filoni Star Wars are his fleshing out of the Clones, the continuing story of Maul, and Asajj Ventress. The Clone Wars was really good about making the Clones feel like real people, which hammers home how horrible it is that the Republic has literally bred child soldiers to fight a war for them. The return of Maul and his story, lovingly voiced by Sam Witwer, is enthralling. It does justice to a character we don't get much time with in TPM, and he helps add depth to who and what the Sith really are. Ventress is also a fun recurring villain-turned-antihero, and serves as another parallel to Anakin (a Force-sensitive child taken from an unhappy home who struggled with her emotions).

Ahsoka gets a lot of attention, but I am glad he put energy into those characters as well.

I'm not at all being original here, but IMO star wars was best when nothing was fleshed out and names like names like the Clone Wars did heavy lifting by implication. But that puts me in a league with, like, Patrick Rothfuss wearing a Han Shot First t-shirt so RIP me