Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What I ordered

What I got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksItjOdWuIU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really big jackets
Sep 11, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
goons hissing and spitting being confronted with hope as a word or concept

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

good lord, just lighting your entire userbase on fire for one quarter of profits lol capitalism rules

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Ben Nerevarine posted:

setting up outposts in Starfield is a fiddly pain in the rear end (woe be upon anyone who must have their buildings flush and at exact right angles) but the amount of raw materials you produce is wild

even if the process was really fun and beautiful instead of jank and tedious, someone has to figure out how to make it rewarding or the whole thing is rather cosmetic. which is fine, go nuts, make manpads with gorgeous sunsets staffed by your favorite characters from around the galaxy. just seems silly to put it rather low in the skill tree and ping first-time players with an objective encouraging it like it progresses the game in any meaningful way.

i recently picked up my first gun with a recon scope and laser. seeing through walls is pretty cool, if i wasnt already a certified ninja i might be tempted to spend some skill points on crafting and do some research to unlock it for any gun. but even if all the necessary materials were right next to each other for the most convenient outpost, i dont know why i'd build that instead of looking up which 2 vendors can sell me what i need to make a dozen recon scopes

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

they call it unity but this pricing decision seems pretty divisive:smug:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

pink noise posted:

even if the process was really fun and beautiful instead of jank and tedious, someone has to figure out how to make it rewarding or the whole thing is rather cosmetic. which is fine, go nuts, make manpads with gorgeous sunsets staffed by your favorite characters from around the galaxy. just seems silly to put it rather low in the skill tree and ping first-time players with an objective encouraging it like it progresses the game in any meaningful way.

The biggest trick in this game is the guy you meet on Cydonia relatively early who gives you what appears to be a very simple quest to survey a habitable planet.

Surveying a habitable planet is the biggest loving pain in the rear end in the entire game.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

wow they hired the same writers from Outer Worlds

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
where are the starfield sex mods I want to gently caress the star ships

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

This and that terrible dragon song are the complete opposite of what the game is like

its a horrible hostile world where everyone is violent and the only thing you can do on any planet is kill people, kill animals, and extract resources

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Isn’t Silksong made in Unity? Imagine working on a Unity game for 5+ years and they pull this poo poo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i found the bg3 gently caress barn today and artfully talked the monsters out of fighting me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

This and that terrible dragon song are the complete opposite of what the game is like

its a horrible hostile world where everyone is violent and the only thing you can do on any planet is kill people, kill animals, and extract resources

It's funny because even the main quest about finding the artifacts that lead the path to the meaning of life the universe and everything boils down to wish.com goku vs store-brand vegeta competing to power up the hardest to rule the multiverse, there's literally no ineffable mystery of the universe or wonder of exploration at all, the entire premise of the game and constellation's mission is just a big joke on the player by todd howard

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Augus posted:

Isn’t Silksong made in Unity? Imagine working on a Unity game for 5+ years and they pull this poo poo

wiki says it is lol uh oh

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
“The mysteries of the cosmos sure are mysterious, aren’t they?” —Todd “IDIC” Howard

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

It's funny because even the main quest about finding the artifacts that lead the path to the meaning of life the universe and everything boils down to wish.com goku vs store-brand vegeta competing to power up the hardest to rule the multiverse, there's literally no ineffable mystery of the universe or wonder of exploration at all, the entire premise of the game and constellation's mission is just a big joke on the player by todd howard

Yup. And it rules

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Yup. And it rules

It is very funny

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

The only positive from completing the main quest is that, if you do nice things like solve factions problems in non-horrible ways, the Unity gives the universe good vibes and makes things a little better in a way that mirrors your actions. Of course, you then leave said universe immediately for another terrible universe, so its a moot point, and incremental change sucks

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Al! posted:

the hard part in dabbling in 3d game design isnt the engine, its making all the assets for it. unreal still has like, a way to carve out rooms but its really expecting you to pull in 3d models and working with blender makes my blood boil

making art is probably the hardest part yeah, but as a layman trying to dabble over the years I find everything about unreal incredibly difficult. there is so much to learn to make even a lovely little game. i get this frustrating feeling of re-inventing the wheel as I struggle to make a user interface or recreate some simple system that every game has just so i can get to the part where the fun game design begins, and then i always give up before accomplishing much because even "fun" stuff requires a huge brain to accomplish. i dunno its all super hard nerd poo poo to me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Norton posted:

making art is probably the hardest part yeah, but as a layman trying to dabble over the years I find everything about unreal incredibly difficult. there is so much to learn to make even a lovely little game. i get this frustrating feeling of re-inventing the wheel as I struggle to make a user interface or recreate some simple system that every game has just so i can get to the part where the fun game design begins, and then i always give up before accomplishing much because even "fun" stuff requires a huge brain to accomplish. i dunno its all super hard nerd poo poo to me.

that was a lot of the utility of Unity as a beginner so i'm glad to see that its owners have decided to slit its throat and drain the remaining blood from the corpse

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Norton posted:

for some reason i found it easier than unity because of the little flow diagrams, and the fact that you can make rooms, where in unity you need to make rooms from prefabs which looks like poo poo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

unity seems like it traps a lot of developers that aren't good at programming into not learning programming so they end up making extremely inefficient games that crash all the time. any time i see the unity logo as i boot a game for the first time i go "oh no" because there's a good chance the game's gonna be a buggy poo poo heap

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Al! posted:

they made absolutely the right choice imo.

people think they want this but they dont. no mans sky, as originally presented, was loving boring to most people. what they want is a reason to jet around space or on planet, and as lovely and shoddy and written by space aliens as it is, people will and have gobble it up because other space games are worrying about providing a vast empty simulation of space where all you can do is make money

well, reading this definitely helped pass the time while I walked, then ran, then walked, then ran for ten minutes to the quest spot right outside akila

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm gonna remake MGS1 in the fortnite engine

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

There is never a single moment in the game that has this tone lol

lmao

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

everytime you enter a ng+ Unity gets 20c.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lpzie posted:

everytime you enter a ng+ Unity gets 20c.

gonna need to insert a coinslot into my PC so I can keep adding Unity credits

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

There is never a single moment in the game that has this tone lol

It looks like a way better way to start the game than what we got

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Todd Howard begging people to stop entering the Buried Temple. Patches himself in as another Starborn with lines about how much money this is costing Bethesda

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

earth was destroyed (by the billionaires), but the billionaires managed to escape. perfect silicon valley future

i mean, we dont believe earth managed to evacuate eight billion people on first gen interstellar spaceships, right

yup. the colony wars had casualties in the few thousands or tens of thousands I forget. and that's seen as horrific in the setting.

a billion+ people stayed on earth and suffocated while watching the rich get off world and did nothing about it lol.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lpzie posted:

yup. the colony wars had casualties in the few thousands or tens of thousands I forget. and that's seen as horrific in the setting.

a billion+ people stayed on earth and suffocated while watching the rich get off world and did nothing about it lol.

realistic

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lpzie posted:

that's pretty much the rich guy plan right now. a bunch of pedophiles who want to live forever imagining they'll get to escape the destruction of the earth and become cybergods in space

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The worst of humanity fighting over who gets to rule the universe.

Aliens are lucky they're not around to see this poo poo.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
House Va'ruun looking better everyday

also, new atlantis is woefully ill-equipped to deal with a mass shooter event

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I don't even wanna tell you how small the little bit of space we explore is. for all the artifacts and temples to be placed there, even a spatial analogy of resetting the whole planet Earth by finding 26 keys in your pockets utterly fails.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

at that point you have to believe in a God

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

It looks like a way better way to start the game than what we got

Should have started you off working the counter at Chunks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
drat x4 is pretty cool but holy poo poo at trying to remember all these controls

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

House Va'ruun looking better everyday

Yup!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679722873127404 Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008