Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The good news is that unlike MtG you can still get Lego sets at MSRP (although Lego went through a wave of price increases) and when they release their 30th anniversary bullshit reprint it's actually an improvement. And if you're a member of their loyalty program you get sets a few days early and I've never had an issue with availability even on the super rare collectable ones that go out of stock they do make more.

Anyways, come to the LEGO thread for a chill time and satisfying snaps.
Also we have this guy, Carbohydrates posting his models and he's really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

lego is one of the most rock solid investments when it comes to collectibles. I think it was the wall street journal or forbes that had a front page article about how it can possibly be a better investment than gold.

I've done my fair share of lego buying and selling, and it absolutely holds up, if you're knowledgeable(or just find extremely good deals to flip), you can make some serious cash from legos. especially if you go hunting for clearanced stuff to hold onto for a while.

Well I wish I had known that before I gave all of mine away to a collector friend for free.

I'm really bad with that kind of thing in retrospect. I also gave all my pokémon cards (including some original print run foils) to a friend in college for her birthday. I still have my o.g. yugioh cards at least

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My dad has hundreds, possibly over a thousand, of sealed Lego sets in his basement (along with a bunch of other poo poo) and I'm dreading the day I have to go through them with my brother.

He jokes about that to us sometimes, like "yeah you'll miss me when I'm dead, but what you'll really miss is having me here to tell you what all that poo poo is"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm sure there's money to be made holding onto collectibles for years and years, but being a Lego brick finance guy just sounds too goddamned goofy for whatever the payout is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cactrot posted:

I'm sure there's money to be made holding onto collectibles for years and years, but being a Lego brick finance guy just sounds too goddamned goofy for whatever the payout is.

And you have to worry about the Brickster stealing all your investments!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I loving love to hustle let’s hear more about day trading legos and or magic cards

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all my bricks gone

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arivia posted:

And you have to worry about the Brickster stealing all your investments!

Ok, I'm now getting into the lore of The Brickster and I am reversing course, Brick finance is good, actually.

quote:

He wears a black and white prison uniform with two different color gloves: one white and the other blue. It is unknown why The Brickster has two different-colored gloves; either it is because he stole them (since he is colorblind) or because he never wants to be caught red-handed.

:laffo:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Fajita Queen posted:

My dad has hundreds, possibly over a thousand, of sealed Lego sets in his basement (along with a bunch of other poo poo) and I'm dreading the day I have to go through them with my brother.

He jokes about that to us sometimes, like "yeah you'll miss me when I'm dead, but what you'll really miss is having me here to tell you what all that poo poo is"

My dad has literal tons of rocks; display cases full, basement full, garage full, shed full, as well as several rock saws. Some items are cataloged, most are not. I have a basic understanding of what some of these are but have no idea what they are worth and I'm not looking forward to becoming a rock dealer in 10-20 years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
For sale: Rock Collection.
Never Stoned.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Whooping Crabs posted:

My dad has literal tons of rocks; display cases full, basement full, garage full, shed full, as well as several rock saws. Some items are cataloged, most are not. I have a basic understanding of what some of these are but have no idea what they are worth and I'm not looking forward to becoming a rock dealer in 10-20 years.

they're minerals, marie!!!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My in-laws have gone the other way, spending the past 5-6 years doing what I can only describe as anti-nesting. Sending things home with us when we visit, but also just throwing every non-essential item in the garbage and preparing the house for sale. Explaining every little nuance of their filing system and walking me around the property lines so I am prepared to ... enter litigation with their neighbors if necessary??

And I can't say it isn't convenient, but they're not THAT old and in pretty good health, all things considered.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fajita Queen posted:

protip: find the set number on the box(usually a very big 5-7 digit number on one of the sides) and plug that into Google along with "lego" and you'll get all the info for that set necessary in 10 seconds or so, and do that on ebay for sold listings and you'll find the average sold prices. honestly him leaving those to you is pretty cool, sealed stuff is incredibly easy to flip.

Whooping Crabs posted:

this though, this sounds like a nightmare. Can't find the set number on a rock to look it up on ebay

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

protip: find the set number on the box(usually a very big 5-7 digit number on one of the sides) and plug that into Google along with "lego" and you'll get all the info for that set necessary in 10 seconds or so, and do that on ebay for sold listings and you'll find the average sold prices. honestly him leaving those to you is pretty cool, sealed stuff is incredibly easy to flip.

this though, this sounds like a nightmare. Can't find the set number on a rock to look it up on ebay

The shipping is the issue. Lego boxes are large and irregularly sized. You basically need to ship them in other lego boxes.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Captain Invictus posted:

There may be a phone app that can identify them fairly quickly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Smdh you don't just use small rocks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

The shipping is the issue. Lego boxes are large and irregularly sized. You basically need to ship them in other lego boxes.
while generally true, you can usually cobble together a decent package by reducing the size of an Amazon box or something to better fit the lego box.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Fajita Queen posted:

1. Get an ebay account going and buy a lot of stupid low priced bullshit to get 100+ account feedback points or whatever. This is the magic threshold for selling poo poo on ebay.

2. Get used to flat rate shipping with USPS, it is the cheapest for those big box Lego sets

3. Hope that our entire economy/society does not collapse by the time your dad dies for you to actually cash in on that poo poo. I am sure useless bricks of plastic will be not worth as much by then if/when that happens.

Edit - I mean, at least we can burn magic cards for temporary warmth, so that's some sort of utility. I also guess we can spread Lego bricks around our future homeless tents for protection?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 12, 2023

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

jeeves posted:

Edit - I mean, at least we can burn magic cards for temporary warmth, so that's some sort of utility. I also guess we can spread Lego bricks around our future homeless tents for protection?

Presumably we will still have children to play with toy bricks. Less so man children and toy sheets of paper.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
per historical document Fallout: New Vegas, playing cards will become the new trading cards

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

My folks are doing something similar. They recently had to clean out multiple sets of grandparents homes and property and one set had literal storage barns of random poo poo they’d just buy at auctions, and the others saved every goddamn thing they ever bought. So I think my parents realized they don’t wanna put my brother and I through that and have been pretty active in clearing out anything they don’t actively want to keep.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
caravan was kind of a terrible game but i do wonder how many experiments there have been in creating games you can play with incomplete 52-card french playing card decks, kind of like a reaaaaaly restricted draft

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Always a good sign when someone rants that their opinion is totally and completely 'Objective' three times in a single paragraph.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was going to make a joke about buying counterfeit Legos but realized I actually already own some because I bought some Adventure Time Minifigs off Ali Express years back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

caravan was kind of a terrible game but i do wonder how many experiments there have been in creating games you can play with incomplete 52-card french playing card decks, kind of like a reaaaaaly restricted draft

I've been mentally trying to figure out how to make a draft/collectible playing-card Texas hold em w combat for a while. Most of the time I just end up making some doofy card designs themed with playing cards or poker but I feel there's gotta be a real game idea in here somewhere.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Daybreak is making the brewer's pass free for thurday.
Good luck with WOE.

I'll be busy with the birth of my first and probably only child.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

Good luck with WOE.

Feels like yesterday. Yes the diaper genie is as convenient as people say it is. Babies get sick like its their job, its probably normal. And yeah, feeling like you don't know what you are doing and are making it up as you go are also normal.

Its also super normal to build starter decks for your kids years before they will even be capable of playing them. I advise using heavy duty top loaders when introducing them to magic cards, they are bite resistant.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I bought all the lorcana decks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uggy posted:

I loving love to hustle let’s hear more about day trading legos and or magic cards

Becoming a Lego trader has been rough on my MTG winrate. I keep bricking on lands!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I bought all the lorcana decks

back in my day, kids (me) were thrown into the deep end of instant speed interaction and having nightmares about Necrite:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Good luck with WOE.

Oof, sorry for ya. This is why i only gently caress people with the same genitals

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

back in my day, kids (me) were thrown into the deep end of instant speed interaction and having nightmares about Necrite:

drat add Ward: Discard a card and I'd put this in my standard decks

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I think I had the worst draft experience with WOE. Not because of the set, but because my pod and I were absolutely knackered from the previous week (life, work, etc), and I also got some bad cards from my sets (I'm not that good at draft, but I generally managed to win one round, this time I got nothing and the best card I pulled were Imodane and Will and didn't have much fun) so it wasn't a good experience all around.

One person did manage to pull Doubling Season out of his booster, which was nice, and we all could see what a cool card Gruff Triplets could be.

Edit: Oh yeah, while it's cool that WoTC finally decided to add the stories to youtube, it's really funny that a multi billion dollar company uploaded such a poo poo video. Bad audio, bad reading and worse editing. You can hear the reader go "how do you pronounce this? cut this part" in some of the readings.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 12, 2023

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Man, I used to run a suite of these in my pre-Tempest reanimator decks. And they were actually pretty good in the context of the deck- a (really bad) removal spell that doubled as a body that could be brought back. I even tried a set when Recurring Nightmare hit but even by then creature quality was too good to make it work.

... wild how bad that archetype was for a good while into MtG's life. I wonder if that's card quality or just play ignorance.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm trying to put together a decent standard deck for Arena and with Cut Down in the format I'm not really sure what creatures they expect people to be able to play. Makes that one rant about the Chupacabra card seem quaint.

I guess it doesn't really matter, I barely have any wildcards left anyway.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 12, 2023

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I took this deck for a spin, and it just doesn't have legs. It's not consistently fast enough to beat aggro, and it rolls over and dies against even a few counterspells.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
"I wonder what counterfeit Lego blocks are like," I thought to myself, then came home to find my dad bought my daughter some knock-offs on Temu. Now I know! They don't look much different, but you need a little extra force to put them together.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

jeeves posted:

1. Get an ebay account going and buy a lot of stupid low priced bullshit to get 100+ account feedback points or whatever. This is the magic threshold for selling poo poo on ebay.

2. Get used to flat rate shipping with USPS, it is the cheapest for those big box Lego sets

3. Hope that our entire economy/society does not collapse by the time your dad dies for you to actually cash in on that poo poo. I am sure useless bricks of plastic will be not worth as much by then if/when that happens.

Of all the detritus of our society to have in the post-collapse, Lego would be one of the best. A nigh-indestructible, easily reconfigurable building material? Hell yeah.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

LifeLynx posted:

"I wonder what counterfeit Lego blocks are like," I thought to myself, then came home to find my dad bought my daughter some knock-offs on Temu. Now I know! They don't look much different, but you need a little extra force to put them together.

It really depends on the knockoff brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
so magic the gathering huh do people in this forum play it :slime: