Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Extra Large Marge posted:

I've never been able to finish the ZZ Top reality show episode. It's just too stupid.

This is by far my least favorite episode. Pigmalion is right there in second place.

A lot of the episodes people are listing here seem fine to me, even if they're not top shelf offerings on the whole or compared to others.

KotH almost entirely managed to dodge the Simpsons' weird issue of having celebrity guests playing themselves and having to figure out a plot device to where Hank or Peggy gets caught up with them like Bart, Lisa, Homer and Marge often do. Usually, the show had their guest stars playing original characters, with a few notable exceptions, and I think that overall the show was better for it instead of figuring out a way for Bobby and Kahn Jr to meet Lady Gaga backstage or whatever.

I think that even the best episodes of the Simpsons that used guest voices did it in a way where the guest wasn't actually, say, Michael Jackson, Dustin Hoffman or Danny Devito and, instead, took the opportunity to use a new original character. Sometimes a show can get away with casting a well known celebrity as themselves but not often. Especially when tying them into the plot is gimmicky and convoluted.

It's why Tom Petty worked so well when he could have just as easily been seen as stunt casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've said it before but I like the ZZ Top episode a lot; it's pretty high on my list of favorite episode from the back half of the show. The juvenile low-stakes pranks they pull on Hank is the funniest comedy in the world to me.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Gotta once again cast my vote for "24 Hour Propane People" as a sleeper episode on "worst ever" lists. Buck basically takes his entire staff hostage and makes them play inane games around the clock because his favorite strip club closed down and he's bored. Incredibly shrill and tedious, it manages to somehow make Buck Strickland horribly, horribly unlikeable.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cosmik Slop posted:

Gotta once again cast my vote for "24 Hour Propane People" as a sleeper episode on "worst ever" lists. Buck basically takes his entire staff hostage and makes them play inane games around the clock because his favorite strip club closed down and he's bored. Incredibly shrill and tedious, it manages to somehow make Buck Strickland horribly, horribly unlikeable.

Have to agree with this one, it really takes the cake and serves it a la mode.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Cosmik Slop posted:

When he comes back, I saw we throw a blanket over his head and do what feels right.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ice cream jerk : Let's get you signed up for our membership card! Hank, what's your social?

Hank : How dare you!?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still don’t get the hate for the Mrs. Wakefield episode. But yeah, the school fair episode is easily the worst one.

Trans-Fascism isn’t very good, but it is an interesting cultural moment. American Dad had a similar episode at the time and I’m pretty sure there were one or two other cartoons with a similar trans-fat ban episode.

yeah but the american dad one was good. honestly top tier plus it gave us the forrest whittiker cop character which i know is just his shield character taken to an extreme but its hilarious every time

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trans-Fascism had a Tom Landry dream sequence. Granted it's not as good as the whack-a-mole one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

https://youtu.be/fP56FXks6mk

Between pocket sand, squirrel tactics, monkey style, and turbine, Dale would make a pretty good fighting game character.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=StgjzHQafDM

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

BiggerBoat posted:

KotH almost entirely managed to dodge the Simpsons' weird issue of having celebrity guests playing themselves and having to figure out a plot device to where Hank or Peggy gets caught up with them like Bart, Lisa, Homer and Marge often do. Usually, the show had their guest stars playing original characters, with a few notable exceptions, and I think that overall the show was better for it instead of figuring out a way for Bobby and Kahn Jr to meet Lady Gaga backstage or whatever.

Celebrity guests on King of the Hill who played themselves tended to get their asses kicked. Don Meredith, Randy Travis, Yakov Smirnoff, etc.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Governor Ann Richards didn't though

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Governor Ann Richards didn't though

She got dumped by Bill, and that’s the most painful thing of all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
just in the election

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
“would you like to add a nutrient booster?”
“No thanks, I'm having a steak later.”.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The trans fat episode is completely worth it for the dream sequence alone.

Hank describing how each of the three other figures broke rules, finally getting to Tom Landry; “and you broke all the rules with your revolutionary defense” Lolol

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BiggerBoat posted:

The Orange County Choppers guys loving sucked. At least the plot of that one was funny enough to save it, with Hank unknowingly starting a price-fixing crime ring.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The two worst episodes for me are the Chris Rock episode, and the Strickland episode where Hank accidentally hires a drug addict because he likes the Cowboys.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

seiferguy posted:

The two worst episodes for me are the Chris Rock episode, and the Strickland episode where Hank accidentally hires a drug addict because he likes the Cowboys.

You just don't like what those episodes have to say? Because they're in the solidly classic seasons.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Man wtf

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah, I may not like the druggie episode’s message that people will immediately start taking advantage of any and all employee protections…
But how can you not love the episode that gave us Strickland saying:

“I’d kill for a big fat, gay, black guy if we could just get some work done”

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

“Peggy’s outside…..she looks disgruntled!”

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hector claims he suffers from something called priapism. He requested a roomier workstation and a view of Debbie.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
https://i.imgur.com/ssCLRJY.mp4

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You just don't like what those episodes have to say? Because they're in the solidly classic seasons.

The episodes around them are excellent but Chris Rock excusing Bobby's white supremacist jokes because 1st amendment sucked. And considering he started giving out N-word passes to his friends I'm not thinking it aged well.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kale
May 14, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Not only that but passed on the actual good candidate cause she didn't know who Troy Aikman was. Classic Hank moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hyg6b-wWEk

I think my all time Hank moment in all the show though is the one where he takes barely a puff of a joint before realizing what it is and has a massive freakout bigger than any panic attack you might ever get from smoking a joint and being unfamiliar with the effects and starts trying to burn his uniform in the barbeque while the Sherriff who came by for the BBQ is wondering what the hell's going on.

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.
https://youtu.be/XmmHoam7y5U?si=t1m6ltFIr4PMqUNh

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The car terrorism plot is probably the worst because while Hank can be naive about stuff he doesn’t pay attention to, he’s frugal and keeps up on automotive stuff. You could probably put just about any other alley member in the role and it would make more sense, and it doesn’t even end well.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

bobby finds a hot dog man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIcVsp5t9sw

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

bobjr posted:

The car terrorism plot is probably the worst because while Hank can be naive about stuff he doesn’t pay attention to, he’s frugal and keeps up on automotive stuff. You could probably put just about any other alley member in the role and it would make more sense, and it doesn’t even end well.

You could do this with Bill but only if the salesman was a woman. And he still wouldn't have gotten mad when he figured out she was taking advantage of him. He would have in fact bought a few more cars just to chat some more.

Boomhauer knows just as much about maintenance as Hank does and he's savvy in general. Also dealerships don't sell vintage cars which is all he drives.

It is very easy to imagine a situation in which Dale is involved in a massive explosion. It is very easy to imagine him being mistaken for a terrorist. But I cannot imagine him paying sticker price on a new car. He would try to haggle with a starting offer of $1.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bobjr posted:

Hank has definitely read every issue of popular mechanics for decades. He would have seen enough car reviews with target prices in there to know what's up.

Although him being aghast that a salesman, in particular, would lie, is peak Hank.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

9/11, never forget that Hank was born in Yankee Stadium

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stealie72 posted:

Hank has definitely read every issue of popular mechanics for decades. He would have seen enough car reviews with target prices in there to know what's up.

Although him being aghast that a salesman, in particular, would lie, is peak Hank.

Doesn't one of the first episodes start with Hank failing to fix his truck and Luanne doing it quickly? This normally gets brought up to show the backslide of Luanne, but it shows a blind spot for Hank here.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

For the Canadian episode: they get in a fight about mower brands. How did the Canadian guy get his mower? Did he haul his with him to Texas all the way from Canada? Did he buy one just to prove a point? It strains credibility.

This is on now and it's explained that he goes to the dealer and gets a new mower model to use for a trial period, hth

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I like that episode for being honest and finally portraying Canadians as assholes too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Two good posts

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I like that episode for being honest and finally portraying Canadians as assholes too.

:hmmyes:

That episode is a great concept but poorly executed imo.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Painted right on the side of my mower, on the factory clear coat. We can put it on our hats and on our jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hank got scammed by the car salesman because he, an honest salesman, would never believe thata salesman would scam another salesman. Except thatherton