Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

apart from a couple notable exceptions the entire Blumhouse horror production vibe just bores the poo poo out of me

edit; awful snipe. okay let me have it :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

You've just created a Tom Bombadil origin story film in the head of some coked WB exec.

"We've given Bombadil a grittier twist to appeal to modern audiences. We hope you'll enjoy witnessing the dark origins of the elusive figure previously shrouded in so much mystery."

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the ring cinematic universe must be established

no not the japanese horror movie

no not the american remake

the one from the 90s website

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They’ll get timothee chalamet in his cringe tornado wonka mode

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

You've just created a Tom Bombadil origin story film in the head of some coked WB exec.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://youtu.be/rWPi3CZLnfU?si=urRdD6je0H8jf00-

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

i'm the inflatable penis costume in the avant garde trailer

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speleothing posted:

This movie looks like dogshit and I don't think any quality of trailer will help, but I'd really appreciate if you didn't interrupt my getting high and watching cartoons with your lovely dogshit horror movie trailers.

Lol why so aggro

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I would be game for another LotR adaptation, because while I think the Jackson trilogy is a terrific achievement and an incredible set of films, I don't think they capture the tone of the books well.

Unfortunately, anything made under the Zazlav regime is bound to be dire, and come from a place of 4-quadrant vertical-integration cynicism rather than anything resembling a creative vision. And we already have one of those, served up to us by Amazon.

They just keep serving dogshit shows don't they? Can't remember the last show I fully still like on that service.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It shouldn't be a shock that tech companies are bad at making art.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

feedmyleg posted:

It shouldn't be a shock that tech companies are bad at making art.

They're disrupting the art market by innovating a product that removes the "good"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

feedmyleg posted:

Halloween Horror Nights reviews say the Exorcist house ruled so that's a start

Crud, I can't go this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speleothing posted:

This movie looks like dogshit and I don't think any quality of trailer will help, but I'd really appreciate if you didn't interrupt my getting high and watching cartoons with your lovely dogshit horror movie trailers.

request denied

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

They're disrupting the art market by innovating a product that removes the "good"

I was just thinking about Ring of Power, something that I haven't seen based on incredibly bad word of mouth, and how that has cost hundreds of millions of dollars and they hired two no name persons to oversee it. And this mammoth enterprise, taking months and thousands of individual contributions to make....and how they just didn't bother in taking the time to write good scripts. Why is the least expensive yet most crucial component of any movie or TV show, the lowest consideration in any production?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because the studio doesn’t care if it’s good they just need it out by this time so they can throw ads and sponsorships to it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are you aware of how tech products are built? It is very easy for me to imagine how this happened.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Netflix is a funny studio because they also cancel shows because people though it was stinky despite it doing well. Didn’t cowboy bebop do alright but just get savagely murdered with both critics and fans? And then they killed it lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Rings of Power is horrible, but Wheel of Time is somehow worse. No vitality whatsoever.

Amazon Prime Video: Home of the boring fantasy shows

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's just so cheap to hire a a few starving writers compared to the millions they used, for example, that giant water tank that almost killed their main star.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also too, time. It takes time to write something good. Time is money and studios don’t want to wait

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

I was just thinking about Ring of Power, something that I haven't seen based on incredibly bad word of mouth, and how that has cost hundreds of millions of dollars and they hired two no name persons to oversee it. And this mammoth enterprise, taking months and thousands of individual contributions to make....and how they just didn't bother in taking the time to write good scripts. Why is the least expensive yet most crucial component of any movie or TV show, the lowest consideration in any production?

CelticPredator posted:

Also too, time. It takes time to write something good. Time is money and studios don’t want to wait

The time component is huge, but also the past six months reminds us yet again that studios and producers do not see writing as inexpensive.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fair enough. I guess I was looking for a more psychological reason for the self immolating and sabotaging hatred of good writing but it's prob just that.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CelticPredator posted:

Netflix is a funny studio because they also cancel shows because people though it was stinky despite it doing well. Didn’t cowboy bebop do alright but just get savagely murdered with both critics and fans? And then they killed it lol

All the actual viewing data is a black box which streamers refuse to divulge, so everyone else is left to read tea leaves and make very uncertain inferences. Number of hours watched or completion rates are completely worthless as metrics and everyone knows it but can't currently compel Netflix, Hulu, etc to share more. Which also means that fan reactions and critical praise (or lack thereof) are often the most visible things that seem to shape the fate of any given show, but they're not always the most influential. That said, it is bizarre to see people like Neil Gaiman have to get on social media and encourage viewers to stream shows on specific dates because that is when Netflix will be looking at the numbers to make the call on renewal or whatever.

From what I've heard the Cowboy Bebop show was not good enough to live up to the expectations of an audience of early viewers (i.e. people who love the original anime) and didn't pick up enough steam before bad word of mouth killed it.

This whole thing is very relevant to the entertainment sector strikes as well - it would be a huge victory for the unions if they can pressure the streamers and the studios to be more transparent in their measurement, which influences compensation for things like residuals. Obviously they don't want to do that because then the jig will be up for a lot of things, like advertising revenue.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I don't think there was a personal component for how they treat writers. From my experience somebody at the top level said "get this done by q3 2022 or it's your rear end" and then everything just naturally rolls from there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cowboy bepop live action was so bad lol and I wanted to like it I loved casting John Cho as Spike. The writing absolutely sunk it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Rings of Power is horrible, but Wheel of Time is somehow worse. No vitality whatsoever.

Amazon Prime Video: Home of the boring fantasy shows

I won't fault you if you still feel this way, but I'm curious, have you watched season 2 of Wheel of Time? It's a dramatic improvement over season 1. So much so that I'm curious what the hell happened behind the scenes between seasons.

Like, I know season 1 ended with some bullshit involving Covid, and some conflict involving the actor playing Mat (I'm not assigning blame one way or the other, just that it caused problems), but those was far from the only problems with season 1. Season 2, 4 episodes in, is just so much better in every way.

I doubt Rings of Power will be able to pull off the same thing, but like I said, I don't know how WoT pulled it off in the first place.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, I'm going to check it out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Cowboy bepop live action was so bad lol and I wanted to like it I loved casting John Cho as Spike. The writing absolutely sunk it.

The directing also absolutely sunk it. I would say moreso. Just amateurish, felt like a fan film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One Piece has some very odd fan film esq visuals but those actors kill it and elevated it. I’ve watched a few episodes twice ngl lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

All the actual viewing data is a black box which streamers refuse to divulge, so everyone else is left to read tea leaves and make very uncertain inferences. Number of hours watched or completion rates are completely worthless as metrics and everyone knows it but can't currently compel Netflix, Hulu, etc to share more. Which also means that fan reactions and critical praise (or lack thereof) are often the most visible things that seem to shape the fate of any given show, but they're not always the most influential. That said, it is bizarre to see people like Neil Gaiman have to get on social media and encourage viewers to stream shows on specific dates because that is when Netflix will be looking at the numbers to make the call on renewal or whatever.

From what I've heard the Cowboy Bebop show was not good enough to live up to the expectations of an audience of early viewers (i.e. people who love the original anime) and didn't pick up enough steam before bad word of mouth killed it.

This whole thing is very relevant to the entertainment sector strikes as well - it would be a huge victory for the unions if they can pressure the streamers and the studios to be more transparent in their measurement, which influences compensation for things like residuals. Obviously they don't want to do that because then the jig will be up for a lot of things, like advertising revenue.

Doesn't France force streaming services to share their streaming numbers?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok, I'm going to check it out.

Love to hear what you think. I'm not as positive on it as the OP but there has been an improvement, but I still think 8 episodes and a plotting that goes too fast then too slow are still major hobbles.

E:

CelticPredator posted:

One Piece has some very odd fan film esq visuals but those actors kill it and elevated it. I’ve watched a few episodes twice ngl lmao

Lol I can see that. The fight scenes are uniformly excellent and it's a really fun cast.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

CelticPredator posted:

I hate anime, never watch anime but gently caress I liked One Piece. Finished it in two nights. Got ten minutes into Cowboy Bebop before I got angry and turned it off

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

I hate anime, never watch anime but gently caress I liked One Piece. Finished it in two nights. Got ten minutes into Cowboy Bebop before I got angry and turned it off

honestly dont know how people can say they “hate” anime. its not a genre, its a medium. it just makes me assume you dont know what anime is

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's me, the guy who says he isn't interested in anime and then powers through the entirety of One Punch Man in a day

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its like only ever hearing snippets of top 40 pop on other people’s radios and saying you hate music. absolutely delusional perspective

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Live action Cowboy Bebop was doomed unless it was a Stranger Things-esque hit since it went super over budget after Cho got injured during filming.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

B-Rock452 posted:

I hate anime

Can you elaborate on what this means?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
live action one piece is my greatest enemy because tumblr put some scary clown pirate pop up on their site to advertise the show and it kept jump scaring me for a few days

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

live action one piece is my greatest enemy because tumblr put some scary clown pirate pop up on their site to advertise the show and it kept jump scaring me for a few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mordiceius posted:

Can you elaborate on what this means?

Honestly I generally don't like animated stuff, I know it's dumb to dismiss a whole type of art but it never really did much for me. I didn't even really like Disney animated movies as a kid. And my first roommate in college was huge into anime and we watched a bunch together and like I said I just disliked it a lot. Sorry