Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wait, no, this is a one time fee per new sale / F2P download. Was Unity not already charging per user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Also we believe that an initial install-based fee allows creators to keep the ongoing financial gains from player engagement, unlike a revenue share.
How does charging creators a per-install fee give them ongoing financial gains? Unless they are trying to push creators to have some kind of per install pricing model too.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Well any fremium game with an ARPU below $0.125 will now be completely losing money. Unless they change that to actually be ARPPU.

quote:

We are introducing a Unity Runtime Fee that is based upon each time a qualifying game is downloaded by an end user. We chose this because each time a game is downloaded, the Unity Runtime is also installed. Also we believe that an initial install-based fee allows creators to keep the ongoing financial gains from player engagement, unlike a revenue share.

"But we're going to ignore the vast number of freemium games and make this far worse than a revenue share."

I can't see this staying as is and will be talking with legal / Platform Partnerships today.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

pseudorandom name posted:

Wait, no, this is a one time fee per new sale / F2P download. Was Unity not already charging per user?

it’s super confusing because their own loving chart explaining it says "monthly rate". So which is it? A one time fee or per month?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
drat Unreal really looking attractive to me right now.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Oh this is a recurring fee lmao.

RIP Vampire Survivors I guess.

They just finished the port to unity :( :ohdear:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

xgalaxy posted:

it’s super confusing because their own loving chart explaining it says "monthly rate". So which is it? A one time fee or per month?

One time per install assessed monthly. But given how ID tracking works on most platforms, it's unclear how they could track users separately from installs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Well any fremium game with an ARPU below $0.125 will now be completely losing money. Unless they change that to actually be ARPPU.

"But we're going to ignore the vast number of freemium games and make this far worse than a revenue share."

I can't see this staying as is and will be talking with legal / Platform Partnerships today.

I assume the goal here is to coerce everyone to use Unity's own ad-delivery service, since apparently they'll cut you a deal on the per-install fee if you do. But if you're making a Unity game on mobile, they want their cut, one way or the other.

They probably don't give a poo poo about PC, the money there is negligible in comparison.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume the goal here is to coerce everyone to use Unity's own ad-delivery service, since apparently they'll cut you a deal on the per-install fee if you do. But if you're making a Unity game on mobile, they want their cut, one way or the other.

They probably don't give a poo poo about PC, the money there is negligible in comparison.

Can't wait for a pirated game to call home and count as an install. "You sold 1000 copies, but 1,800,000 installs"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

How does charging creators a per-install fee give them ongoing financial gains? Unless they are trying to push creators to have some kind of per install pricing model too.

They expect creators to add microtransactions to their games.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 12, 2023

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Sounds like reinstalls do count as extra installs...

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679721027633280

as well as every time you start up a game through netflix/xbox/ps+ streaming

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1701673961795313778

What a shitshow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best case scenario at this point is they put this out as intentionally harsh so in a few days they can have their community rep put out a notice that they're "listening to community feedback" and later on post updated terms that are still way shittier than they used to be but everyone sees it as a win because they got the big bad corporation to walk back a bad idea.

Because who the gently caress is going to touch Unity at this point? They're basically handing all their business over to Unreal.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Raenir Salazar posted:

drat Unreal really looking attractive to me right now.

Come on over.

I can't emphasize enough how nice it is to work every day without worrying about seeing a dumbshit headline about the CEO's latest BIZNESS move.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

I can't emphasize enough how nice it is to work every day without worrying about seeing a dumbshit headline about the CEO's latest BIZNESS move.

Yeah, 'ol Sweeny has never gone to war against companies running online marketplaces and gotten his most profitable title (temporarily) pulled. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Chillmatic posted:

Come on over.

Definitely feels like a good decision in retrospect to take the job that had me learning Unreal vs the job that would've been using more Unity3D. :haw:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Definitely feels like a good decision in retrospect to take the job that had me learning Unreal vs the job that would've been using more Unity3D. :haw:

I took the one that pushed me into management, which should be transferable at least

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

xzzy posted:

Yeah, 'ol Sweeny has never gone to war against companies running online marketplaces and gotten his most profitable title (temporarily) pulled. :v:

They have a long, proven track record of doing the right thing when it comes to UE. They start fuckin' that up, we're having a different conversation. But until then, saying "both sides heh :smug:" is a real laugh and a half.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

a bit sus

https://twitter.com/SauceJockey/status/1701629115529413062

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

2000 shares sold on a schedule has nothing to do with this

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Well this makes me glad that Unity's not-at-all-backwards-compatible updates years ago hosed me over so I stopped using their stuff.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Epic has a history of hardballing their licensees so I don't have a lot of trust in their benevolence continuing beyond their ongoing consolidation of the market, but they're certainly not doing anything as boneheaded as this right now.

I'm not at all surprised that Unity's bumping pricing since they are still losing money and there's a good case that they've been leaving way too much money on the table by not asking for a rev cut, but a per-install fee (especially at $0.20/install base) is pretty much the worst possible model they could choose.

The thresholding is also stupid and being per-game instead of per-entity is going to incentivize dumb things like converting major updates into "sequels" with "cross-progression" to make it a new title and reset the install threshold, especially when the pricing is so bad that the fee savings from resetting the install threshold is less than the cost of cert.

Why anyone thought this was a better idea than asking 5% of revenue is beyond me.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 13, 2023

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
It's also weird to put the power to cost a developer money in the hands of gamers. Just wait until they start automating install/uninstall as a way to complain about something

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Shemp the Stooge posted:

It's also weird to put the power to cost a developer money in the hands of gamers. Just wait until they start automating install/uninstall as a way to complain about something

Yeah something just smelled real bad about this and there we are.

So anybody that did transition off of Unity: were there any issues with some common add-ons not having something comparable in your new engine? We're talking about Unreal, but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

There are some things I would be curious about for going to Unreal like:
ProBuilder
InControl
Odin Inspector
DOTween

I also did a bunch with Noesis but I think that was a mistake. Is there some XAML-like UI framework for Unreal that is more consistent?

I got some deja vu vibes asking this so I wonder if I asked this before. I think it's from listing off Unity assets.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

OneEightHundred posted:

Why anyone thought this was a better idea than asking 5% of revenue is beyond me.

The CEO thinks a per-install fee is more generous because it lets you keep all the revenue from in-game monetization, which only a complete idiot would not include.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There are some things I would be curious about for going to Unreal like:
ProBuilder
InControl
Odin Inspector
DOTween

ProBuilder - Unreal has pretty fully featured Modeling mode.
InControl - Unreal's Enhanced Input is Unity's New Input System but better, and covers everything I've needed from Rewired/New Input System.
Odin - Which features of Odin?
DOTween - Unsure about DOTween but found this: https://benui.ca/unreal/uitween/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SimonChris posted:

The CEO thinks a per-install fee is more generous because it lets you keep all the revenue from in-game monetization, which only a complete idiot would not include.

But what if I don't want to include in game monetization. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

But what if I don't want to include in game monetization. :(

Then the CEO thinks you're a "loving idiot" (direct quote).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The clusterfuck is even more stupid:
https://www.axios.com/2023/09/13/unity-runtime-fee-policy-marc-whitten

"As for Game Pass and other subscription services, Whitten said that developers like Aggro Crab would not be on the hook, as the fees are charged to distributors, which in the Game Pass example would be Microsoft."

I teach both Unity and Unreal to students in college. Unity is just such a nice engine as an intro engine and is a lot more accesible for students. I don't have to worry that they don't have access to a machine outside of class that can run Unreal 5 (it sometimes doesn't even like playing nice on our lab machines).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what's happening with unity really reeks of vultures stripping the copper wiring

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How is Microsoft gonna react to that? "Uh we ain't paying that poo poo, we'll stop accepting unity games if you try"?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At this point I feel like you could be the smallest relevant indie dev and if Unity presented you with a bill, you could dare them to take you to court over it. You'd have so many amicus briefs on your side.

On a related note, Unreal! How much of a pain in the rear end is it? I'm confident it's overkill for my current project, but if I decide to do 3D again I'm not sure how battle-tested Godot is for that, and I'd rather not have to switch engines frequently.

I understand that the only programming options are C++ and their visual scripting system? How long does it take to compile and run? How easy is it to inspect your game state while running?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I didn't notice any particular differences in compiling time using both for work and personal projects. For unreal you can either hot recompile live similar to unity or just exit and manually recompile, I prefer the later.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Unreal's visual scripting thing is awesome. I find it really pleasant to use/debug.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually kinda dislike the visual scripting and only use it for quick prototyping. At least partly because it's hard to do code review via git and some kinds of logic get very fiddly with the graph editor.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Time to creat install/delete script for this unity game I hate so that the dev gets fee'd to death, let's go!

Money making botnet for unity woohoo

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Seems ripe for tomfoolery as well, if the only source of "truth" for number of installs is Unity's own telemetry reporting. Pretty sure you could replicate a whole bunch of "install" signals without actually installing. Which means if there was ever a court fight about how many installs there actually were, then easily proving that you can fake an install would cast their whole side of the argument into doubt.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder if there can be a case for some kind of legal action if someone is being over billed for installs if your own telemetry indicates only a fraction of the reported number of users?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

roomforthetuna posted:

Seems ripe for tomfoolery as well, if the only source of "truth" for number of installs is Unity's own telemetry reporting. Pretty sure you could replicate a whole bunch of "install" signals without actually installing. Which means if there was ever a court fight about how many installs there actually were, then easily proving that you can fake an install would cast their whole side of the argument into doubt.

Release your game on Steam
Release your game on Epic
Release your game on PS5
Release your game on XBox

There's plenty of non unity source of truths for number of installs that can be subpoenaed in a court case. I do wonder if this will hurt the smaller stores but that's at the machiavellian level.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

^^^^ yeah you *can* use other sources, my point is Unity's source of truth is flawed and they're planning to bill based on it. And those sources most likely don't give you number of installs, they give you number of purchases - the more reasonable thing to measure. So first, the sum of all other sources of truth will nearly always be smaller than Unity's number, and second, it could be hard to know whether you actually got all the sources. Also, my point was that you can almost certainly falsely increase Unity's metric, after which subpoenas of other sources of truth would 100% back your point, that Unity was overbilling.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if there can be a case for some kind of legal action if someone is being over billed for installs if your own telemetry indicates only a fraction of the reported number of users?
That's part of what I was thinking; if it was demonstrated to happen *once*, which could easily be manufactured, then it would absolutely gently caress them for every other case where it probably isn't actually happening. So a single lawsuit could turn into a class action, in which there'd be no need for everyone to demonstrate their own telemetry differing because the fact that, in this hypothetical, Unity's telemetry has been shown to be unreliable would mean that they have no valid proof of their claim.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

jizzy sillage posted:

Odin - Which features of Odin?
DOTween - Unsure about DOTween but found this: https://benui.ca/unreal/uitween/

For Odin, I had used their inspector and testing stuff. I was using some of the inspector stuff to assert properties and add some callout text that would help me a month later when I forgot details. The Odin testing stuff replaced a level checking system I had to assert things like the given scene (level) having at least one start point and didn't have temporary cameras and stuff like that around, and I also use it assert individual MonoBehaviour things like my infamous floor plate from pages ago having a target to toggle when it is activated.