Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Of course it's possible that the Rodgers achilles injury was just keeping balance for what will end up being a very good Mets hire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This feels like the Dodgers poaching Friedman.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Stearns but allowed to spend money on paper looks like a pretty good situation but I can't imagine Cohen will get out of the way.

hope not, I need at least another year or two of wholesale comedy :mets: before dealing with them as a serious potential threat again

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1701646948992967160

Absolutely brutal news for the Mets

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

This feels like the Dodgers poaching Friedman.
Stevie has been pretty explicit all along that he sees the Dodgers as a model he wants to emulate, so yeah poaching a highly regarded GM from a smaller market team with success feels on-brand

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm not sure that being the second fastest sloth in the mighty NL Central constitutes success on the level of what Friedman's Rays did in the AL East

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not sure that being the second fastest sloth in the mighty NL Central constitutes success on the level of what Friedman's Rays did in the AL East

The Brewers have consistently been in division or WC consideration for about seven years now, all with a middling payroll and an ownership that refuses to extend anybody except Yelich resulting in embarrassing roster shenanigans like having to trade away their AS closer in the middle of their own playoff race because he was getting too expensive. They pretty consistently bring in a bunch of mediocre hitters and graduate a ton of electric pen arms and somehow make it work for 85+ wins a year. No they're not the Rays, but they're a pretty good model for how a team can always keep its head above water without the cash to pony up for expensive talent in most cases.

Also flying under the radar in all this is that Counsell is also set to be a free agent after this year and it would not be unreasonable to think Stearns will try to bring his (imo) very good manager to the Mets along with him. Showalter only has a year left on his contract anyway too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Friedman also got a pretty big assist from AJ Preller on that Matt Kemp contract that he inherited.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Stevie has been pretty explicit all along that he sees the Dodgers as a model he wants to emulate, so yeah poaching a highly regarded GM from a smaller market team with success feels on-brand

Friedman also got a pretty big assist from AJ Preller on that Matt Kemp contract that he inherited. That was only the start of the overhaul, but didn't the Dodgers payroll get a little smaller at first? They lost Hanley to free agency and traded for Rollins. Lost Uribe to free agency and made a cheap bet on Justin Turner who got non-tendered(?).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1701638075657417187

lol Cohen's been angling for this from the second he took over the Mets.

I got really confused for a minute

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
well gosh https://www.mlb.com/news/matt-olson-reece-blankenship-friendship

the interview portion actually got me teary eyed

Lance Blankenship posted:

THIS FRIENDSHIP IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT GIVES ME FAITH THAT MY TRUE SELF IS VALUED IN SPITE OF MY UNRULY BODY.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I would not mind being President of Baseball Operations at age 38.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/1701661854978748528

:jerkbag: Because it's just impossible to do both, no sir. Calling up hot rookies late in the season and having them contribute down the stretch is crazy talk, has absolutely never happened before.

Ross is such a crotchety jerkass when it comes to the rookies. He also made comments about how there's "nobody obviously better" than Smyly in the farm a couple days before Wicks came up and has looked markedly better than Smyly. Next year looks to have a ton of potential rookie graduations and I really hope either Ross is gone for somebody who'll let the kids eat or Jed comes down much harder with actual instructions on who gets to play.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I better not see one player improve or it's back to the minors

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

how stupid do you have to be to say flat out you’re not developing players right now as if you can’t spin even being in the clubhouse every day while riding the pine as a form
of development

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Also flying under the radar in all this is that Counsell is also set to be a free agent after this year and it would not be unreasonable to think Stearns will try to bring his (imo) very good manager to the Mets along with him. Showalter only has a year left on his contract anyway too.

Extending the Friedman comp, everyone expected Maddon to follow him to LA and that didn't happen.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers are purging all hints of Urias from the stadium

https://twitter.com/byjackharris/status/1701348425781170231

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Seems like a good decision.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Happy to see another Lunhow protégé make it! Elias has the O's at 100 wins and Stearns has the opportunity to build a juggernaut backed up with someone not afraid to spend.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've been told all season the president of operations job with the Astros was just waiting for him after this season :smith:

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe they’ll hire back Elias since Angelos refuses to spend a dime

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I dunno how much Ross was taken out of context, but the way those are clipped certainly looks like some unfair clickbait editing. I'm sure he said something like "we're trying to win a division, we're not developing players" and PCA is starting in CF while Candelario goes on the DL tonight. I'm all for dragging dumb decisions, but I think we can pump the brakes a tad. PCA is still young and raw and there are 3 weeks left in a tight playoff race. I'd like to see him get lots of ab's but it isn't really the priority. We know his defense is major league ready, but his bat's still iffy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I don't even think he's all that wrong, it's more that when he talks to the media about rookies he's needlessly lovely about them. He also throws PCA under the bus in that article for getting thrown out at 3B on a perfect laser throw.

All he had to say was "PCA isn't going to get a ton of starts but he's got value as a defender/pinch runner, and this is a good chance for him to hang with the MLB team and coaches."

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

elentar posted:

well gosh https://www.mlb.com/news/matt-olson-reece-blankenship-friendship

the interview portion actually got me teary eyed

Great story. Definitely deserving of their Clemente nomination. Olson seems like an alright dude.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/1701661854978748528

:jerkbag: Because it's just impossible to do both, no sir. Calling up hot rookies late in the season and having them contribute down the stretch is crazy talk, has absolutely never happened before.

Ross is such a crotchety jerkass when it comes to the rookies. He also made comments about how there's "nobody obviously better" than Smyly in the farm a couple days before Wicks came up and has looked markedly better than Smyly. Next year looks to have a ton of potential rookie graduations and I really hope either Ross is gone for somebody who'll let the kids eat or Jed comes down much harder with actual instructions on who gets to play.

I can't make up my mind on Ross. He seems to make a lot of bad decisions, like putting in a guy who hasn't pitched in a month with 1 out in the 9th at Coors Field. But the Cubs also seem to have a better record than their roster would indicate.

With that said, his devotion to washed up vets early in the season will cost them any shot at the division this year. And a team that is shifting toward carrying a small market budget needs to develop young players (their farm system is good). But it seems like young guys are only going to get a shot if everyone gets hurt and they go on some ungodly tear like Morel did.

Results are what matter and he's doing well by that metric. Just kind of wondering long term how a loaded farm system plays out if your manager is addicted to 30+ year old AAAA guys.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Not starting a rookie with two weeks left in a playoff hunt isn't a big deal?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

In this case, I don't think it's a big deal. It's more that Ross' MO has been to not play young prospects over elite talents like Eric Hosmer and Rafael Ortega.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

he isn't even playoff eligible so there's no reason to force him into the lineup if he's struggling

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Niwrad posted:

In this case, I don't think it's a big deal. It's more that Ross' MO has been to not play young prospects over elite talents like Eric Hosmer and Rafael Ortega.

4x Rawlings Gold Glove winner Eric Hosmer?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think he's up for his defense. With Candelario on the injured list, they don't really have anyone they can play at 1B besides Bellinger. PCA has an 80-grade glove in CF. It's him or Mike Tauchman, who is a pretty mediocre defender and been in a slump.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm less annoyed about PCA's playing time and more that Ross is being a jackass about him to the media.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think he'll probably be used in the role he had last night. Late game pinch runner who stays in to play CF. The guy can flat out run and it took an absolute perfect throw and tag last night to catch him stealing 3rd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1701718273266524394?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

I’m confused

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

30 guys have two thumbs and are starting in center field

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But not Chas McCormick

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

But not Chas McCormick

Someone’s gotta eat that pudding

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

30 guys have two thumbs and are starting in center field

17 games today, maybe more!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ross being upfront about PCA not being an everyday player down the stretch is perfectly fine. PCA is probably well aware of the situation and his role on the team and isn't taking what Ross said personally. He seemed pretty excited to have dropped down that sac bunt last night. This is the final stretch, we'll see PCA a lot more next year.

The Cubs have loved signing and playing old veteran players for a long time now, it's hard to say if that's a managerial or FO decision how much playing time they get. I still contend signing Hosmer or Mancini was an alright move to start the year considering the Cubs had zero 1b options beyond hoping Mervis would fill the role and well... You can see why teams don't like to rely solely on an unproven rookie call up. Hosmer barely played and Mancini just didn't pan out unfortunately but the Candelario pick up seems like a pretty inspired move.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves broke the NL record for homers in a season tonight when Acuña hit their 280th on the year; Ozuna added 281 later in the inning. Chasing the 2019 Twins for the MLB record, which is 307.

At the same time, they also have the 6th lowest strikeout rate in baseball, which is pretty wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Popete posted:

Ross being upfront about PCA not being an everyday player down the stretch is perfectly fine. PCA is probably well aware of the situation and his role on the team and isn't taking what Ross said personally. He seemed pretty excited to have dropped down that sac bunt last night. This is the final stretch, we'll see PCA a lot more next year.

The Cubs have loved signing and playing old veteran players for a long time now, it's hard to say if that's a managerial or FO decision how much playing time they get. I still contend signing Hosmer or Mancini was an alright move to start the year considering the Cubs had zero 1b options beyond hoping Mervis would fill the role and well... You can see why teams don't like to rely solely on an unproven rookie call up. Hosmer barely played and Mancini just didn't pan out unfortunately but the Candelario pick up seems like a pretty inspired move.

The irony with complaining about Hosmer/Mancini is that they also took a flier on a guy that the smartest team in baseball couldn't fix and who's now going to get some MVP votes.