Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also a fallacy I frequently fall into, that I need to get better at.

Filoni is only as good as the people he works with, maybe they should bring in the writing and like visual development team behind Rebels/Clone wars/Bad Batch to help support him lol.

Speaking of, Kiner and or Britell(Andor) should be doing the music for all future star wars projects.

Filoni bringing Kiner with him to Ahsoka was his best decision on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm sure if you're filoni you run the risk of getting a big head- probably has been ever since george was going around saying he was the favorite son. Very easy from that position to start shaking off collaborators who were "holding you back" all along, especially in the writing domain.

I'm not saying that's definitely what's going on here, but it does kind of have that feel

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I don't know if we're in a golden age of scoring or something but that I can name Kiner, Birtell and Djwadi says something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm sure if you're filoni you run the risk of getting a big head- probably has been ever since george was going around saying he was the favorite son. Very easy from that position to start shaking off collaborators who were "holding you back" all along, especially in the writing domain.

I'm not saying that's definitely what's going on here, but it does kind of have that feel

This is some real weirdo projection poo poo.

Considering he still is doing work with all those people on various cartoon projects.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dexo posted:

This is some real weirdo projection poo poo.

Considering he still is doing work with all those people on various cartoon projects.

All I can say as someone not that familiar with him is, he has sole written by credit on every episode of this, and the writing has been largely embarrassing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That's fine if you don't think the writing is good, but the whole creating a fanfiction about how he thinks he's being held back and doesn't like the other people he's worked with or whatever that bullshit was is like I said some weirdo poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you ever find yourself saying "I'm not X, BUT..." you're totally being X. lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dexo posted:

That's fine if you don't think the writing is good, but the whole creating a fanfiction about how he thinks he's being held back and doesn't like the other people he's worked with or whatever that bullshit was is like I said some weirdo poo poo.

It seems like plausible speculation to me for how someone who is seemingly not an especially great standalone writer ended up with means/motive/opportunity to solo write this whole show.

But I think I couched it as speculation from the get go, you're the one who read confidence and character judgment into it. It's just a hollywood trend as old as, well, hollywood

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No it's just real weirdo poo poo.

It's speculation, but that doesn't make it not weird.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
If you're embarrassed by it you should probably stop watching and posting about it imo

It's not stellar amazeballs stuff but it's fine, it's just not [thing it's not]

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Rappaport posted:

I thought the light saber fight between Ahsoka and Pullo was cool :smith:

It's definitely one of the better ones for me but that's because Pullo's style is completely different than anyone else in the modern era. It stands out because of how boringly generic everyone else is!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vinylshadow posted:

:hmmyes:

I do like that they seem to have figured out lightsabers at least

I am very curious if, say, an Obi-Wan Blu-Ray will go back and fix them there too

Why can't the Star Wars live action series figure out the 180 degree rule

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Just Chamber posted:

It's problematic and the audience should see the consequences of such a thing.

And the only way is if Jacen takes a lightsaber through the chest.

But then how could a grown up Jacen appear in a potential sequel film? Perhaps as a Padawan at Rey's School for Real Good Jedi?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hazo posted:

What is that?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hazo posted:

They've gone way past 180, bro. That's rookie poo poo. I want them doing 720 all the time. At least

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

No Mods No Masters posted:

It seems like plausible speculation to me for how someone who is seemingly not an especially great standalone writer ended up with means/motive/opportunity to solo write this whole show.

It may have something to do with being the creative director of lucasfilm now, the creative director of lucasfilm animation for like 5 years before that, and working on lucasfilm star wars projects for like 20 years total now

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Didn't somebody make a gif or clip of that scene in Obi-Wan when he's running around in the county landfill or whatever and he just runs away from Vader offscreen and randomly emerges from the same direction he left, making it look like he came back because he forgot something?

edit: found it :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7nWWs58N0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

What is that?

Keep the camera angles and pacing rotating in 180 degrees.

https://indiefilmhustle.com/180-degree-rule/

Those shots are the same shots but with different people in the same place. Which makes things confusing. They should be swapped

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

Keep the camera angles and pacing rotating in 180 degrees.

https://indiefilmhustle.com/180-degree-rule/

Those shots are the same shots but with different people in the same place. Which makes things confusing. They should be swapped

Unless you're trying to convey that two people are similar. Then you might want to break it, among other reasons.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I think those are two separate fights, no?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Hazo posted:

hang on, this is just "shot reverse shot" with extra steps!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mycot posted:

Edit: for the record I think it's a bad sign when threads turn to nitpicky debates like this because that usually means the show itself is just not that interesting. Nobody would care about details like this if they were being wowed away by the rest.

You see that in the Modern Star Trek thread. When Discovery or Picard is on, the thread is 100% nitpicking and general complaining about quality. Then SNW comes on and it turns into discussions about character growth and the themes the show is trying to portray. It's like slicing a switch. Then Lower Decks comes on and it's Moopsy, Moopsy, Moopsy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Moopsy

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TK-42-1 posted:

I think those are two separate fights, no?

Are they? If so I withdraw my snarky comment.

I do agree with the OP though that the lightsabers look great. The evolution of LEDs and plastics really lets them look so much better than the OT and PT fights.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

maybealabia posted:

I haven't been bored by one moment of the show

You can’t go wrong with a couple space lesbians taking their cool old robot great uncle on a road trip.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I love the Moopsy

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

koolkal posted:

I love the Moopsy

We don’t know for certain that BB-8 isn’t a moopsy egg.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
As a non-Rebels watcher I think Sabine is like The Worse. She’s completely incapable and incompetent at what she does, which the show both shows and tells me with the robut saying she’s the worse student ever. She’s also emotionally compromised and is one of those “I’ll let the whole world burn to get my one true love” characters it seems. When she told Ahsoka to go and that she’s got this when she was fighting the zoomer sith I started laughing because not once has the show shown her capable of standing up to a jedi lol. She should have fought the no named guy that Ahsoka killed and let Ahsoka fight the zoomer.

Also what’s the deal with traveling between galaxies? I legit thought star wars already happened/took place between different galaxies but now I’m finding out it all happens in just 1? Really?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

Is literally the first thing about Star Wars.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

maybealabia posted:

I haven't been bored by one moment of the show

me neither. ive liked the show a lot so far and am sad pullo fallen jedi won't be a returning character. that fight owned

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mycot posted:

Also this is the same series that had, like, 8 year old Anakin pilot a ship in a battle as a joke and not even treated as one of the traumatic aspects of his childhood.

Edit: for the record I think it's a bad sign when threads turn to nitpicky debates like this because that usually means the show itself is just not that interesting. Nobody would care about details like this if they were being wowed away by the rest.

That's largely a function because the people who are watching it are just like, oh that's a fun/bad/mid episode of an action adventure show that like you said isn't particularly revolutionary or interesting, they watch it feel how they feel and go about their lives, maybe saying man the dialog pacing in this show is real off. Meanwhile the posters who hate it go full cinema sins over the dumbest poo poo because they hate it and have to catalog all of the ways they hate it, some of reasons are fair, others like the Jacen stuff, is just extremely stupid. The posters who like it or those just are cursed to forever be trapped in the cycle of posting are then the ones forced to say "that one specific reason you hate this is real loving stupid", and that goes on and on and gets worse and worse until the next episode of the average show actually airs, and then that cycle repeats.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also what’s the deal with traveling between galaxies? I legit thought star wars already happened/took place between different galaxies but now I’m finding out it all happens in just 1? Really?

Closest Star Wars has had to two galaxies is the Rishi Maze, which Kamino is 12 parsecs from (There's also the Rishi Station on the Rishi Moon from TCW's Rookies episode)

In Legends, the shot from Empire Strikes Back where they're looking at the Galaxy means that the Rebels traveled to the Rishi Maze as well (plus, extragalactic travel was possible as seen with the Outbound Flight project, despite its ultimate failure)

It's honestly kinda bizarre how barely anything from canon or legends actually made use of it though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't really have a problem with sabine being a dingus. It's a very healthy counterforce in a show where there is such an obvious fawning attachment to the characters and hopefully it will mean she actually has an arc of becoming less of a dingus by the end.

Of course is it is getting a little comical anyone ever trusts her yes

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

It's a bit weird because her character from Rebels was brash but pretty competent (maybe a bit too competent at times but overshadowed by Special Boy Ezra) but apparently she forgot all her Weapon Proficiency in the missing years.

She's basically become the Zeb of the group lol

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Bunch of super ninjas in this thread

Do people really think martial skills unpracticed for years are just ready to go at peak performance when you need them?

She'd still chump almost anybody, but she's a normie fighting goddamn dark Jedi and multiple assassin droids

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Most skills are quite perishable if you don’t keep them up. I’ve never understood that as a nitpick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

koolkal posted:

It's a bit weird because her character from Rebels was brash but pretty competent (maybe a bit too competent at times but overshadowed by Special Boy Ezra) but apparently she forgot all her Weapon Proficiency in the missing years.

She's basically become the Zeb of the group lol

I mean, she was competent enough to fight other Mando's and storm troopers. Any time she faced a force user she got washed lol, except when she had her big character moment against Kanan, and she managed to trick Ezra with some Mando tech once. But they were very much not in go mode.

So the thing with Sabine in Ahsoka, is that she seemingly lost loving literally everyone she cared for.
Clan Wren seemingly got welped in the Mando genocide.
Ezra her close friend died.
Hera is off being an New Republic General.
She's mad at Ahsoka for abandoning her, after not letting her go try and do something to help the Mando's who were getting wiped out by the Empire.

She's someone who's been wallowing in their own depression with no one who she holds like a close connection with outside of technically Hera being remotely emotionally available for the past XX years.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Most skills are quite perishable if you don’t keep them up. I’ve never understood that as a nitpick.

Well in my case I have no idea who Sabine is, but the fact is that she’s introduced to me as a main character so based on every other show I have to assume that that means she’s a well trained asset. So far the show has shown me she’s incompetent and told me as much as well. It’s not nitpicking it’s more “wait she’s a main character but how come she’s so bad why are we wasting time with her?”

Burning_Monk posted:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

Is literally the first thing about Star Wars.

Yeah but I kinda assumed with everything else possible in Star Wars that jumping between galaxies was like getting in a car and driving to Taco Bell on the other side of town.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

By all that perishable skills logic ahsoka should probably also be more rusty than she's being depicted as, though she does seem to lose a decent amount in the end in practice. Again I have no problem with that and if anything they should lean into it more, it might actually give things some tension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I never thought I'd see "Sabine has character flaws and isn't enough of a Mary Sue" as a serious complaint

The pendulum swings perversely