Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
This certainly looks like a thing I could buy, not that I'm going to.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/452473/Far-West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

You could always :filez: the PDF and pay for it 12 years from now.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I feel similarly to the way I did when Duke Nukem Forever finally came out in that my only real emotion is slight disappointment that I can't make "Has Far West come out yet?" jokes anymore

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah, it’s out, I backed and I have a PDF.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Thanlis posted:

Yeah, it’s out, I backed and I have a PDF.

is it good

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

I haven't read particularly far, but getting a very distinct "at best it's fine" vibe.

Also almost all the art is the photoshop filtered backer photos that were one of the KS rewards (yours truly is on page 40 of the pdf :unsmith: )

Also Also the transmedia stuff is still in the works apparently:

Far West posted:

After a record-setting crowdfunding campaign via Kickstarter, we prepared to release our first commercial efforts: The Far West Adventure Game (the tabletop RPG that you
now hold in your hands), and the fiction line, which kicked off with a collection of short stories, Tales of the Far West. Other expressions are currently in development, including mobile applications, music, a web series and more

Saguaro PI fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 9, 2023

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Saguaro PI posted:

I haven't read particularly far, but getting a very distinct "at best it's fine" vibe.

It’s about like that. It’s a cool evocative setting idea and Skarka is not an incompetent writer. He seems to have skipped over the question of racism and sexism which is a big miss all things considered.

I might do a WIR. It’s so weird to actually have it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Saguaro PI posted:

Also Also the transmedia stuff is still in the works apparently:

This has to just be something he left in there when he started writing this over a decade ago and forgot to edit out.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
30 usd for a pdf is really bold. thats like, greg gilliespie level

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That's going rate on kickstarters these days.

RPG pdfs have been underpriced for decades.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's actually underpriced, yeah.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Skarka wrote an amazing urban fantasy game back in the late 90s called Underworld. He can write a good game.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

RPG pdfs have been underpriced for decades.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's actually underpriced, yeah.

30 bucks for a pdf with decent art, lay-out and page-count is rather cheap, TDMR.

Gamers have just been accustomed to getting rpg stuff for too cheap for too long.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Kai Tave posted:

This has to just be something he left in there when he started writing this over a decade ago and forgot to edit out.

No, that's the delay. He just had bad writer's block and didn't want the rpg and the fiction to come out with too much time between them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warden posted:

30 bucks for a pdf with decent art, lay-out and page-count is rather cheap, TDMR.

Being reminded that one of the first comments Ettin got about Hard Wired Island was 'this game claims to be critical of capitalism but charges $30 dollarydoos for it CHECKMATE.'

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Being reminded that one of the first comments Ettin got about Hard Wired Island was 'this game claims to be critical of capitalism but charges $30 dollarydoos for it CHECKMATE.'

I was thinking of the exact same thing, to be honest.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Looks like the price is actually $60 for the pdf, it's just currently on sale for $30.

Unless this is one of those "permanent sale" situations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Falstaff posted:

Looks like the price is actually $60 for the pdf, it's just currently on sale for $30.

Unless this is one of those "permanent sale" situations.
DTRPG often compares pdf price to the hard copy price, iirc.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm supposed to get a free copy due to the Alas Vegas KS...I am not holding my breath.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Not even first comment, it became an entire thing for the better part of a month. DTRPG had to remove multiple comments that were just people trying to gotcha the game over "and yet you charge money" or whining about the price, there was a thread on RPGnet where people were complaining about it, etc.

The price point, in a vacuum, is probably the least egregious thing about Far West.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Not even first comment, it became an entire thing for the better part of a month. DTRPG had to remove multiple comments that were just people trying to gotcha the game over "and yet you charge money" or whining about the price, there was a thread on RPGnet where people were complaining about it, etc.

This is still probably the second most common complaint about Hard Wired Island after "I saw it mentioned trans people and shat miles of rage snake". Sometimes they try arguing that it would be more noble to make sacrifices for my customers or that dropping the price would increase my profits or something. Very occasionally they will just say that they want to pay less and at least those guys are honest.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
And yet you participate in society. Curious! I am very smart.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ettin posted:

This is still probably the second most common complaint about Hard Wired Island after "I saw it mentioned trans people and shat miles of rage snake". Sometimes they try arguing that it would be more noble to make sacrifices for my customers or that dropping the price would increase my profits or something. Very occasionally they will just say that they want to pay less and at least those guys are honest.
This is bizarre. If they were talking about a PDF you had written in 1994 and your 'costs' had been taking a day to scan it in and clean it up, perhaps there would be some logic to it, but presumably HWI's price point covers your costs and until you reached some level where all of that had been paid off long ago, or it had been such a runaway success that all your costs had long ago been covered... you would not actually be increasing your profits.

Capitalism is when thing cost money, I guess.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nessus posted:

This is bizarre. If they were talking about a PDF you had written in 1994 and your 'costs' had been taking a day to scan it in and clean it up, perhaps there would be some logic to it, but presumably HWI's price point covers your costs and until you reached some level where all of that had been paid off long ago, or it had been such a runaway success that all your costs had long ago been covered... you would not actually be increasing your profits.

Or just wait for poo poo to go on sale or show up in Bundles of Holding! It is very easy not to pay full price for RPG PDFs if you can wait like six months to read them.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lumbermouth posted:

Or just wait for poo poo to go on sale or show up in Bundles of Holding! It is very easy not to pay full price for RPG PDFs if you can wait like six months to read them.

Delayed gratification? What are you a commie pinko?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ravus Ursus posted:

Delayed gratification? What are you a commie pinko?
You mean “capitalist pig dog”!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

dwarf74 posted:

DTRPG often compares pdf price to the hard copy price, iirc.

Thanks for the clarification, I guess it's been so long since I've bought anything there I never noticed that before. $30 for a beefy pdf seems fine to me, as long as the game's actually good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's amazing how deliberate miseducation and violent suppression of the Left has resulted in a society where a college graduate can be ignorant of the difference between trade and capitalism. Hell, elite college grads are more likely to become people who actually espouse such a fallacy as a basically religious principle.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Adam is officially out from No Rolls Barred.

I cannot say I'm surprised, just surprised it took this long.

https://reddit.com/r/boardgames/s/OxBCeO8jKW

quote:

]
An update from No Rolls Barred
We have mutually agreed with Adam Blampied that he will be leaving the company with immediate effect. Adam will be making his own statement on his Instagram about his departure shortly and we respect his request to address this matter in more detail himself.

We’ve made this a publicly available Patreon post on the continued advice of those we have worked with during this difficult process. We will continue to work with the external expert consultants mentioned in our previous update, so we can be certain we always have the strongest possible processes in place to support our team members and community.

The past few weeks have been very challenging for all of those involved, and we would like to thank everyone who follows our channels for their continued support of our amazing cast and crew. Your understanding throughout the recent month has been genuinely heartwarming for us all and is truly appreciated.

He's made a statement and it's.... In all the statements ever, this is definitely one of them.

https://www.instagram.com/adamtheblampied/

Edit - here it is, but not on Instagram.

https://reddit.com/r/boardgames/s/19BxBRNEZC

quote:

Here you go, it's in four different images on his instagram.

Image 1
>It is with deep sadness that I have made the decision to step away from YouTube for the foreseeable future. This is not a decision I have taken lightly, but it is one that I believe to be in the best interests of the people and channels that I care so deeply about. The last month has been incredibly difficult, and has been equally so for those around me. The cumulative effect of this has become just too overwhelming for me in recent days. As such, for the sake of my own mental health and that of those close to me, stepping back feels like the healthiest thing to do.

Image 2
>Certain language has been used to describe me that I categorically refute, and believe to be wholly inappropriate, yet at this point, I can't say much more about it than that. However, I want to make clear that my choice to leave is for the welfare of myself and the people around me, I have not been dismissed. I understand that some people will be disappointed with my inability to go into any further details righte now. This is on the advice of legal professionals, so that I have the most solid footing possible ahead of some important next steps which lay before me. I am truly grateful to those of you for whom this explanation will be sufficient - at least until I am one day able to address anything of real substance further, should doing so be appropriate.

Image 3
>I have been very honest and transparent about my shortcomings and mistakes in the past. However, this prior transparency has come at a cost, especially when it's used negatively in the court of social media opinion and to form assumptions about me in the present. The sheer amount of online speculation and harassment of NRB and its team has become too painful to bear. As such I am hoping that taking a step back will be best for everyone involved and feels like the most compassionate course of action.

>Please refrain from hounding or hassling anyone connected with this situation, I in no way condone that. Pushing people for answers that they cannot legally give doesn't make things any better for anyone, thank you again to those who continue to understand that.

Image 4
>I also want to give a heartfelt thanks to everyone at NRB, PFK, and WT for an amazing few years. They are fantastic people who truly deserve your support and I know they will flourish in my absence. Keep watching those channels, and hopefully my absence can help make that viewing experience a lot less complicated and a lot more joyful. For anyone who watched my content and supported me in doing so, I want to say thank you so very much, and I'm sorry for any distress that this past month has caused to those who just want to watch fun escapist hobby videos. I hope that like me, you will continue to view them with love for many more years to come.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 13, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Got any more context/history for those unfamiliar?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

dwarf74 posted:

He's made a statement and it's.... In all the statements ever, this is definitely one of them.

Sounds like he is actually taking good legal advice. It also sounds like he at the very least deserved the boot.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hostile V posted:

There's not much know, this go-round. Carley of Gnarley Carley Gaming said he was "up to his old tricks"

Those "old tricks" were soliciting nudes from fans in his wrestling YouTube days, afaik.

Edit - here's the start just a few pages back - page 114

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&pagenumber=1114&perpage=40&userid=0#post534042407

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hostile V posted:

History is he got poo poo canned from What Culture (when that was a thing) for being really creepy towards underage fans, I think he was soliciting pictures or something, it's been many years so I'm hazy on the exact details there.

I assume this is the same poo poo

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

joylessdivision posted:

History is he got poo poo canned from What Culture (when that was a thing) for being really creepy towards underage fans, I think he was soliciting pictures or something, it's been many years so I'm hazy on the exact details there.

I assume this is the same poo poo

I don’t recall the fans being underaged, he asked/manipulated/pressured for nudes while being dishonest about his relationship status. I don’t recall anything being made public other than that. It was deeply lovely stuff, but nothing criminal charges could be brought up on.

He then did a shame shave of his head and made a video apology.

I don’t think he got shitcanned from What Culture because he had just left it in fact, this all happens the week that the content producers from What Culture Wrestling had broken away to start their own channel Cultaholic with Adam Blampied as the headliner.
They had their launch stream, answering a barrage of questions about how Adam B now wasn’t going to be involved, several with gritted teeth or fuming in the background, clearly furious he’d cocked up their launch after they had burnt their previous bridges to the ground.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I know it's more videogame than trad game, but unity is doing the same dumb poo poo WOTC did with respect to charging fees for their previously free stuff for developers who earn over a certain amount.

And so far it's going exactly the same way.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

HidaO-Win posted:

I don’t recall the fans being underaged, he asked/manipulated/pressured for nudes while being dishonest about his relationship status. I don’t recall anything being made public other than that. It was deeply lovely stuff, but nothing criminal charges could be brought up on.

He then did a shame shave of his head and made a video apology.

I don’t think he got shitcanned from What Culture because he had just left it in fact, this all happens the week that the content producers from What Culture Wrestling had broken away to start their own channel Cultaholic with Adam Blampied as the headliner.
They had their launch stream, answering a barrage of questions about how Adam B now wasn’t going to be involved, several with gritted teeth or fuming in the background, clearly furious he’d cocked up their launch after they had burnt their previous bridges to the ground.

And this time all of this came out not too long after No Rolls Barred and the wrestling channel he was involved with moved into their own studio space. Maybe he's just cursed to act like a weird creep whenever he hits a major life goal.

(I was a fan of him at What Culture, had that happen, gave him another chance last year and now had this happen. I'll make an undercooked joke if I want to.)

Also, there's two key differences between Unity and the whole SRD saga: say what you will, WOTC is genuinely the biggest fish in the RPG pond, and they weren't trying to burn down their entire business either way. Unity is pissing off people much bigger than him, and I can't imagine any reason for them to do this besides sucking all the value from their brand immediately. Together, that means I don't think there are that many useful comparisons to make beyond "business people are dumb".

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lurks With Wolves posted:

And this time all of this came out not too long after No Rolls Barred and the wrestling channel he was involved with moved into their own studio space. Maybe he's just cursed to act like a weird creep whenever he hits a major life goal.

(I was a fan of him at What Culture, had that happen, gave him another chance last year and now had this happen. I'll make an undercooked joke if I want to.)

Also, there's two key differences between Unity and the whole SRD saga: say what you will, WOTC is genuinely the biggest fish in the RPG pond, and they weren't trying to burn down their entire business either way. Unity is pissing off people much bigger than him, and I can't imagine any reason for them to do this besides sucking all the value from their brand immediately. Together, that means I don't think there are that many useful comparisons to make beyond "business people are dumb".

it's definitely a different situation but let's not understate the size of Unity. They are a huge business that just exists in a much larger pond. They have a ton of influence over the viability of video games, especially anything smaller than AAA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's amazing how deliberate miseducation and violent suppression of the Left has resulted in a society where a college graduate can be ignorant of the difference between trade and capitalism. Hell, elite college grads are more likely to become people who actually espouse such a fallacy as a basically religious principle.

Western economics education is pretty much 'taught wrong, on purpose, as a joke'.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Western economics education is pretty much 'taught wrong, on purpose, as a joke'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Glad NRB made the right decision here. God I'm sick of people being sex pests.