Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, like, I don't know how you can dismiss it as an "online thing" when wiki flat out says they're banned on some forms of public transit. You really don't have to look hard at all to find all the very real-world examples of people not liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Boris Galerkin posted:

Durian is delicious and I don’t understand the meme about it smelling bad. gently caress all the haters.

did a durian write this

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The episode was pretty good, mainly because Zapp wasn’t even cancelled, which felt like a weird joke from the writers being too old or out of touch to understand what cancel culture even is. As others said, it’s mainly a jerkass character is forced into sensitivity training. I did like the Indecent Exposure Robot, fun joke and he’s just so happy to blind people with light.

Also this episode reminded me that Fry and Leela are a couple that still call each other by their last names, which is a little weird.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Pants Donkey posted:

The episode was pretty good, mainly because Zapp wasn’t even cancelled, which felt like a weird joke from the writers being too old or out of touch to understand what cancel culture even is.

Wouldn’t the point / joke of Zapp not actually being canceled be that cancel culture isn’t actually a thing?

I honestly have no idea about this episode. I fell asleep 5 minutes in and haven’t cared enough to get back to it. But, the first 5 minutes wasn’t the worst.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

Wouldn’t the point / joke of Zapp not actually being canceled be that cancel culture isn’t actually a thing?

I honestly have no idea about this episode. I fell asleep 5 minutes in and haven’t cared enough to get back to it. But, the first 5 minutes wasn’t the worst.

More or less. There's a few episodes of this season that I legitimately think feel classic era, like this one. But then there's episodes that just kinda forgot to write jokes, like the COVID one. I think overall, the season is decent.

In a way, I think Zapp Gets Cancelled was sort of my lynchpin of "is this terrible or not" because I dreaded it. I also dislike the trio episodes that aren't Anthology of Interest I or II, and that's apparently next week. They fell off when they dropped the What If Machine wrap around plots, and I don't get why they did that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So that's what would have happened if I'd invented the Finglonger...

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m aware that’s a thing written about online.

I’ve also had durian in my home before as an adult and been to durian farms when I was younger and I’ve never seen or heard of reactions like those.

I've tried durian twice, both times in SE asia.
The first time it was like eating custard from the bottom of the hot garbage can. I literally could not get the garbage taste out of my mouth for an hour.
Drinking water just resulted in the water bottle smelling/tasting like garbage juice.

The second time, was a bit milder, it was more like a pudding that somebody mixed onions into. After that I gave up and realized the King of Fruits was not for me.

Also most wet markets that had durian had it at the far end of the market and it would still stink up half the place.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nichael posted:

More or less. There's a few episodes of this season that I legitimately think feel classic era, like this one. But then there's episodes that just kinda forgot to write jokes, like the COVID one. I think overall, the season is decent.

In a way, I think Zapp Gets Cancelled was sort of my lynchpin of "is this terrible or not" because I dreaded it. I also dislike the trio episodes that aren't Anthology of Interest I or II, and that's apparently next week. They fell off when they dropped the What If Machine wrap around plots, and I don't get why they did that.

The Saturday Morning Cartoons episode from the Comedy Central run is like, one decent Scooby Doo parody and then fifteen minutes of baffling and inconsequential nothing. Anthology episodes can be real rough if the concepts aren't strong.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m aware that’s a thing written about online.

I’ve also had durian in my home before as an adult and been to durian farms when I was younger and I’ve never seen or heard of reactions like those.

If you don't think Durian smells of anything you need to go to a doctor because you've got anosmia

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

I just don’t think it’s that deep. Feels almost like a leftover joke from an earlier draft than any kind of commentary.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
"It is therefore this court's judgement that you face the ultimate penalty."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Android Blues posted:

The Saturday Morning Cartoons episode from the Comedy Central run is like, one decent Scooby Doo parody and then fifteen minutes of baffling and inconsequential nothing. Anthology episodes can be real rough if the concepts aren't strong.

I rewatched the video game segment from Anthology of Interest II recently and for an episode made in 2002 they didn't have any references that dated past the early 1980s, and those were basically the only jokes.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Pants Donkey posted:

Also this episode reminded me that Fry and Leela are a couple that still call each other by their last names, which is a little weird.

Phillip?!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wikipedia suggests that Leela’s family name is Turanga and that it’s placed first in her family/culture. Considering they have introduced things like asked/axed as cannon this is something I buy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Turanga?!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yeah, they established in the first run that mutant culture is family name first. Her parents are named Turanga Morris and Turanga Munda.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Cacator posted:

I rewatched the video game segment from Anthology of Interest II recently and for an episode made in 2002 they didn't have any references that dated past the early 1980s, and those were basically the only jokes.

I loved that segment. But.....I'm also a nihilist whose favorite game is Number Munchers.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Cacator posted:

well, the invaders/representatives hail from the planet Nintenduu 64. I think the "you need the blue key" counts as a 90s reference since I don't think things like that started showing up until Wolfenstein 3D? I recall from the audio commentary for the episode that they settled on it being a Doom reference but that's still few and far between compared to references of games that 90s kids like me wouldn't get. Space Invaders and Missile Command is one thing, but it was the first time I'd heard of Q*bert

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
If Q*bert was a current enough reference for Adam Sandler in 2015, I can forgive Futurama referencing him back in 2002.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
First run Futurama mostly used culture references that were 10+ years behind the air dates. The theme of the far future using things from the viewer's past helped give more of the original episodes a "timeless" quality I think. Decisions like making the president Nixon instead of Clinton or W, having "classical" music be Baby Got Back instead of Real Slim Shady, sketchy business guy being Gordon Gecko instead of Bernie Madoff, etc were all smart choices that hold up years later. "What if life was more like a videogame" using Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and so on was much better than trying to make it about Halo.

I'm trying to think of examples of "contemporary" pop culture humor from the first run. Al Gore being in the climate change episode stands out. The first Titanic episode was only a couple years behind, I guess?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blind Pineapple posted:

First run Futurama mostly used culture references that were 10+ years behind the air dates. The theme of the far future using things from the viewer's past helped give more of the original episodes a "timeless" quality I think. Decisions like making the president Nixon instead of Clinton or W, having "classical" music be Baby Got Back instead of Real Slim Shady, sketchy business guy being Gordon Gecko instead of Bernie Madoff, etc were all smart choices that hold up years later. "What if life was more like a videogame" using Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and so on was much better than trying to make it about Halo.

I'm trying to think of examples of "contemporary" pop culture humor from the first run. Al Gore being in the climate change episode stands out. The first Titanic episode was only a couple years behind, I guess?

Napster's the one that immediately comes to mind for me. Which has also aged pretty poorly, so there you go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The all just sounds like "things the writers understand better make for a better episode". The writers understand the things from their childhood and younger years like Nixon and space invaders, so they can make informed jokes about them. They wouldn't understand halo and would not know how to make jokes about it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

DaveWoo posted:

Napster's the one that immediately comes to mind for me. Which has also aged pretty poorly, so there you go.

Except with Napster they made it totally different and wrote jokes, not just saying “PANDEMIC!”

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Blind Pineapple posted:

I'm trying to think of examples of "contemporary" pop culture humor from the first run. Al Gore being in the climate change episode stands out.

Which they probably did because his daughter was on the writing staff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chairman Capone posted:

Which they probably did because his daughter was on the writing staff.

Na it was a pretty universal "joke" at the time, I think him popping up on the moon and various other bits was because of his daughter though

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nichael posted:

Probably the same reason the Simpsons dropped the connective scenes for Treehouse of Horror episodes, to save time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I stop giving a poo poo when there's no framing device like that.

If the characters remember being told the story I'm seeing, then that satisfies the little gremlin in my head that cares about canon.

The moment it's just "here's those characters you know doing something that will never, ever matter," I have a hard time giving a poo poo even in disposable comedy.

It's a sickness.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
One way in which I feel like new Futurama and old Futurama are different is that there was a really good setup and idea for a joke but they completely switched the delivery to how they would have done it before. When Kind was threatening to poison the planet's air supply they had someone ask how many durians he had and he said something like "Just one. Enough to poison the entire planet's air supply". It was funny, but to me it definitely felt like they reversed the punchline and the setup.

I think old Futurama would have had someone set it up more vaguely like have Bender call and warn Leela "Be careful. He's stolen the ship's entirely supply of Durians" and have the doctor say something like "That's right! I've brought enough Durian to poison this entire planet's air supply.... ONE"

Maybe they workshopped it that way and thought it wasn't as funny, but to me that feels like classic Futurama. Similar to the "ONE GALLON OF GAS" joke from the Global Warming episode.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That joke was from the first movie. I also recall that it wasn't supposed to be a joke, necessarily. Iirc in the audio commentary, they specifically mention they allowed him to say that to get his message out to the audience. It did follow from a somewhat comedic scenario, so you might laugh, but they framed it to be a more serious statement.

Granted, this was all taking place in the future year of 2017 (or was it 2018?) for an audience viewing it in 2007/08.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
9: The Prince and The Product
The crew members are reborn as toys.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It was so dumb that I actually enjoyed it and got a few laughs.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't know what to make of that one. It had a lot of good lines but that was pretty incoherent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Roughly a minute of fun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was bad. Just bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just watched the new episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPknZ3Lk4xU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure they were intentionally going for the dumbest episode possible and when you view it through that lens, well, I found it pretty funny at least. Even the "real" episode made no sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm not sure whether I should be pissed off or admire the audacity of the episode ending with "Oh nevermind, Leela randomly falling in love was just a spell. A science spell!"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m eight minutes in and my brain is shutting down I don’t know if I can make it to the end

E: Yeah I pulled the chute at the car thing

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 18, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

what the gently caress did I just watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Well, that was the least enjoyable episode of Futurama I've ever watched. drat.