Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I mean we got two generations of Wirtzes pretty quick. How many more McCaskeys could there be?

It's an enormous family. I'm actually in a fantasy football league with a spouse of one of Virginia's great-grandkids. She has like 80 living descendants (she had 11 kids I think).

In fact, there's a rule in the NFL that says someone has to own at least 30% of the team. When she dies, they fall well below that so I think they have to do some legal mumbo-jumbo where a few of the failkids combine to form a voting block or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Before the game I was asked if I wanted to watch and I said no. i didn't want football to disappoint me again and I said I wanted Rodgers to die. I missed the bills opening drive but come in time to see the first Jets drive.
One can only imagine the insufferable pain that will be delivered unto Justin Fields as retribution for my hubris.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

It's an enormous family. I'm actually in a fantasy football league with one of Virginia's great-grandkids. She has like 80 living descendants (she had 11 kids I think).

In fact, there's a rule in the NFL that says someone has to own at least 30% of the team. When she dies, they fall well below that so I think they have to do some legal mumbo-jumbo where a few of the failkids combine to form a voting block or whatever.

I they made a grandfathered rule for family owned teams like the Bears/Giants/Steelers wrt that rule.

I believe like the McCaskey's/Rooney's/Mara's only need one person who has a 10% stake in the team

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

All NFL teams are owned by Rooney Mara, much to Kates dismay

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dr. Lunchables posted:

All NFL teams are owned by Rooney Mara, much to Kates dismay

I agree that Rooney Mara owns.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Let's check in on the Bears big FA O-line addition

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1701297139790361049

Uh oh

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xbilkis posted:

Uh oh

Any other QB, and that’s a safety.

Fields is special, but the Bears are going to chew him up, spit him out, and grind him into dust. :smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Already have, it's too late for him.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm brewing up a "Getsy is the new Adam Gase" take that will be ready for deployment around late October

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

GNU Order posted:

I'm brewing up a "Getsy is the new Adam Gase" take that will be ready for deployment around late October

He's going to be the head coach of the Jets?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jordan is a Packer.

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1701687653014307302

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/e_woodyard/status/1701686822512800147?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Honestly First Day out would be a loving great song for the Lions to come out to their home opener to.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GNU Order posted:

They're not booing, they're saying "Schoop"

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the hawks have no chance. Pete better get Jordan Peterson back to motivate the boys

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Hopefully he will not bet on games like the other Jordan.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

someone is getting robbed if Tee Grizzley is there

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Packers are winning the Finals!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Uh oh

Schofield looked better than this guy. If he plays like this again, maybe they should give Carter a run. He looked good in preseason.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I mentioned it earlier but that Karl Brooks guy on the Packers was an absolute monster. I don't care how bad the Bears O-Line was, that guy is a stud. What a steal in the draft.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dexo posted:

I they made a grandfathered rule for family owned teams like the Bears/Giants/Steelers wrt that rule.

I believe like the McCaskey's/Rooney's/Mara's only need one person who has a 10% stake in the team

I think they gave them an initial exception, but I think once she does pass away, they have to get to the 30% mark? There was an article awhile back about how the family was coming up with a plan to re-consolidate the various family ownership shares to at least hit 30%.

Edit:

here it is: https://ontapsportsnet.com/bears/the-succession-plan-mccaskeys-have-plan-in-place-for-chicago-bears-ownership-family

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 13, 2023

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Niwrad posted:

I mentioned it earlier but that Karl Brooks guy on the Packers was an absolute monster. I don't care how bad the Bears O-Line was, that guy is a stud. What a steal in the draft.

He’s the college production guy with bad measureables so always fun to see those guys shine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol:

https://twitter.com/theqbschool/status/1701755070415602139?t=Q-_phBhC5DnON_CJEQqLJg&s=19

Hand Row posted:

He’s the college production guy with bad measureables so always fun to see those guys shine.

Opposite of the Poles method of guys with great measurable that suck. Anyway, congrats to the Packers on finding a good 3T in the 6th ficking round.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Packers having a pretty great 2023 so far

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

xbilkis posted:

Uh oh

fields is an alright rb but he's def not worth anything as a qb

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Watching JT O'Sullivan eviscerate the Bears offense for an hour is giving me life

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Is Cody Whitehair the only player or coach on this team who has ever beaten the Packers as a Bear? Am I forgetting anybody?

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

hmm maybe there's a reason this team had the worst record last year

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

MikeCrotch posted:

Watching JT O'Sullivan eviscerate the Bears offense for an hour is giving me life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiiK21VzI_o
This is fantastic, yeah.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

It's pretty balanced between the Bears offensive concepts and attention to detail is terrible, sloppy plays, sloppy routes, dumb play calls in dumb situations. And the other half is that when the play works Fields doesn't throw to the open person, often hesitating or just flat out missing them.

He needs a Goff like situation where he goes to a coach who understands who he is and is willing to take the time to rebuild his confidence and design an offense around him.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Scipiotik posted:

It's pretty balanced between the Bears offensive concepts and attention to detail is terrible, sloppy plays, sloppy routes, dumb play calls in dumb situations. And the other half is that when the play works Fields doesn't throw to the open person, often hesitating or just flat out missing them.

He needs a Goff like situation where he goes to a coach who understands who he is and is willing to take the time to rebuild his confidence and design an offense around him.
Agreed on the Goff reset needed. Who wants to trade us for Fields??
I think he's already at Cutler level zero faith in anyone around him and doesn't know what to do that isn't just running past/through people. So sometimes Fields is just like gently caress it, timing throw to Kmet (like Cutler throwing 3 ints to one guy), the rest of the time it's bad mechanics on out routes to FBs??? or not even believing he can look deep before getting hit.

So many of the plays are just so BAD when you watch them a few times. Without even getting into what the gently caress Nate Davis is doing half the time. At least Claypool is just giving zero effort, Davis & Kmet (sometimes) look like they have the wrong playcall in their head.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/status/1701957067555123598

Like Nagy has problems, but man he loving encouraged Fields to loving let it rip, and now that he has some talent around him, Eberflus's defensive mindset is just suddenly like no turnovers plz

https://twitter.com/Johnathan_Wood1/status/1701971852405440997

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
This is really depressing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nagy will be availabile in a few weeks to QB coach fields.
That's probably his limit given what I saw Thursday Night

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
This thread could use more Bears talk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Brrrmph posted:

Then talk about whatever the gently caress you want to talk about?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Brrrmph posted:

My Bear fan friends are all screaming at Poles for not doing enough to address the OL and being mad they didn't take a Notre Dame Center in the 6th while refusing to acknowledge the Bears have a shitshow of a defensive interior too

I'm giving them a month before Bagent is the obvious franchise QB in waiting and Fields needs to switch to slot WR or some dumbass poo poo

I think the coach kinda sucks and the scheme is kinda bad, but mysteriously the FA signings Poles made were players that can switch schemes without a ton of problems. My conspiracy theory on the Bears is Poles is doing a reverse glass floor on a white head coach before signing someone else

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

...and now that he has some talent around him, Eberflus's defensive mindset is just suddenly like no turnovers plz

I've seen this mentioned a few times and it's always struck me as weird. If I'm a defense guru with a strong defensive team, I'm going to tell my mediocre offense to just bomb it and try to score, since on defense I know I have (relatively) good odds of stuffing the offense or scoring a turnover. If the offense can get ahead then your defense can play more aggressively -- if the offense is just barely even, or falling behind, then there's that much more pressure on the defense to be perfect every drive.

Isn't "bomb it, take risks -- opportunistic defense will get the turnovers" exactly how the '06 Bears made it to the Superbowl?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brrrmph posted:

Two divisional opponents just played each other and one of them looks like a disaster in the making, no shock there's going to be a lot of discussion about that particular team as half the thread can weigh in.

When the Vikings and Lions play each other we'll probably have a bunch of pages talking about one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times and it's always struck me as weird. If I'm a defense guru with a strong defensive team, I'm going to tell my mediocre offense to just bomb it and try to score, since on defense I know I have (relatively) good odds of stuffing the offense or scoring a turnover. If the offense can get ahead then your defense can play more aggressively -- if the offense is just barely even, or falling behind, then there's that much more pressure on the defense to be perfect every drive.

Isn't "bomb it, take risks -- opportunistic defense will get the turnovers" exactly how the '06 Bears made it to the Superbowl?

If you're a defensive head coach, and your 15 years of coaching is a philosophy based around "if the defense takes away the football we will win", it logically follows that the opposite would hold true for the offense.

defense takes the ball away = the best thing they can do -> offensive gives the ball away = the worst thing they can do