Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
FEAR - bullet time, rag dolls, guns / meets Mirrors Edge - free running / parkour movement systems?

Playing SPRAWL right now which is pretty good & wondering if there's anything else out there mixing bullet time with movement shooters fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

i3lueHorneT posted:

FEAR - bullet time, rag dolls, guns / meets Mirrors Edge - free running / parkour movement systems?

Playing SPRAWL right now which is pretty good & wondering if there's anything else out there mixing bullet time with movement shooters fps.

Severed Steel and Trepang2. The former is great the latter I didn't like so much.

Pretty sure that's it for FEAR-likes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jack Trades posted:

Pretty sure that's it for FEAR-likes.

Until Selaco comes out, yeah

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Until Selaco comes out, yeah

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to that. The demo was a blast.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

i3lueHorneT posted:

Turbo Overkill
ULTRAKILL and Titanfall 2 have the movement, but not the bullet time

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 10, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

i3lueHorneT posted:

If you deliberately took the powers for it, you could end up playing Dishonored/Dishonored 2 like this. Speed run videos of the games tend to end up going that way.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

i3lueHorneT posted:

The Max Payne games? Third-person rather than first, and the parkour is pretty much slides and dives iirc, but they're still pretty athletic and have bullet time (the first two at least, never played the 3rd.)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
would stranglehold fit in as well

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I did think of suggesting Stranglehold but I've not played it since release in the mid 2000s and I don't know how well it's aged

A recent indie title with bullet time acrobatics is Rollerdrome - it's Tony Hawk meets Max Payne. Short but a lot of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwx9Rg6zVBA

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
I have a craving for Sega bass fishing, but I don't currently own something that can play it, are there any good arcade fishing games like it for the Switch?

Puckanas fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 12, 2023

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In a sort of similar vibe to SC2 there's Space Rangers 2, which doesn't get recommended enough

It's amazing. Definitely quirky as well, but man, behind those quirks is an absolute classic with such a whimsical sense of humor. I miss the game's original Russian-to-English translation. It was just fucky enough that it (usually) came across as some future space English dialect instead of just sloppy or incomprehensible English.

For those who want to check it out, SR2 is on Steam under the name Space Rangers HD: A War Apart. It has a newer, more accurate translation, but they kept the game's tone and humor intact.

Shine fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 11, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

It's amazing. Definitely quirky as well, but man, behind those quirks is an absolute classic with such a whimsical sense of humor. I miss the game's original Russian-to-English translation. It was just fucky enough that it (usually) came across as some future space English dialect instead of just sloppy or incomprehensible English.

For those who want to check it out, SR2 is on Steam under the name Space Rangers HD: A War Apart. It has a newer, more accurate translation, but they kept the game's tone and humor intact.
Just... turn off the RTS missions. Trust me on that one.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Just... turn off the RTS missions. Trust me on that one.

I always forget those exist because I've always turned them off. :D

Shine fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 11, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I want to try my hand at one of the digital CCG variants - what do people suggest? I’m not the biggest stickler for it being super F2P friendly and would prefer one that’s on the slower/longer individual game side. I have virtually no experience in CCGs so a decent tutorial would be nice but I’m sure there are infinite of those on YouTube also.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anno posted:

I want to try my hand at one of the digital CCG variants - what do people suggest? I’m not the biggest stickler for it being super F2P friendly and would prefer one that’s on the slower/longer individual game side. I have virtually no experience in CCGs so a decent tutorial would be nice but I’m sure there are infinite of those on YouTube also.

I like Runeterra over hearthstone at this point.

Runeterra never felt like I needed to spend any money when I was playing it and it has a slick interface.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Man some of the text adventures in that were complete incomprehensible nonsense, it was incredible. I still remember one about a... haunted house? Where my character had to work out which of the mirrors were his real self and distinguished between the "real world" and the "actual world" and by the end I have no idea if it was a bad translation, he was insane, I was insane or all three

I just remembered this post and it is still a great example of why I love Space Rangers 2.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

I assume you meant ones that involve competitive play, but I'm gonna toss out a recommendation for Card City Nights 2, which is a singleplayer-only, campaign-based CCG. Get into card battles, get new cards, unlock new locations and people to battle, complete a (silly) story.

Card City Nights 1 is more of the same, but the card battle is much less tactical. CCN2 has really solid gameplay.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

MarcusSA posted:

I like Runeterra over hearthstone at this point.

Runeterra never felt like I needed to spend any money when I was playing it and it has a slick interface.

Thanks. In my initial review Runeterra looked more interesting than HS, but also like it may not be at all as well supported, which seems like a kind of big deal for these kind of games.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume you meant ones that involve competitive play, but I'm gonna toss out a recommendation for Card City Nights 2, which is a singleplayer-only, campaign-based CCG. Get into card battles, get new cards, unlock new locations and people to battle, complete a (silly) story.

Card City Nights 1 is more of the same, but the card battle is much less tactical. CCN2 has really solid gameplay.

Competitive or not is fine I just didn't think there was much in the way of "PvE" CCGs that had longterm ongoing support. And I guess I didn't mention that but that's also something I'm looking for - a new game to play for the long term.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

Competitive or not is fine I just didn't think there was much in the way of "PvE" CCGs that had longterm ongoing support. And I guess I didn't mention that but that's also something I'm looking for - a new game to play for the long term.

Ah yeah, CCN is one-and-done, not really something you can get seriously invested in (financially or otherwise). I can't really imagine there being a PvE CCG with long-term legs, but if it existed it'd probably be a gacha with scantily-clad anime girls on every card.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Anno posted:

Thanks. In my initial review Runeterra looked more interesting than HS, but also like it may not be at all as well supported, which seems like a kind of big deal for these kind of games.

LoR is still trucking, no doubt. Last I looked it still gets new content, balance patches,and has plenty of players.
When I want competitive, I play Magic (usually via MTGO) but Runeterra is my go-to recommendation and I enjoy the PvE content.
It's a game with a lot of good ideas going for it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Anno posted:

I had my most fun emulating the old Pokemon Trading Card Game videogames for Gameboy. There's not much tutorial, but maybe you can find old advice for the pokemon TCG back in 1998. The second game where Team Rocket GR attacks has a neat little thing where the familiar island gets taken over.

I've never really played any of the "pure" online TCGs, but if you're just starting out, maybe you'd like a system that keeps things more simple like Guild of Dungeoneering, where you get given "starter decks" with the basic class abilities of each character, and you steadily build your deck by picking up gear in the dungeon, so the decisions when building your deck are relatively simple. Card Hunter is also a bit like that, but has a hybrid system where you use your hand to fight a battle on a grid.

With no real story at all, you could play something like Star Realms, which has a number of single player scenarios aside from just playing against an AI player.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ah yeah, CCN is one-and-done, not really something you can get seriously invested in (financially or otherwise). I can't really imagine there being a PvE CCG with long-term legs, but if it existed it'd probably be a gacha with scantily-clad anime girls on every card.

or one of the 10 million different roguelike deckbuilders? tons of indie devs jumping on that trend.
making a run-based game like a roguelite is big for long term replayability

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Anyone looking for a space game, I'm told there's one called "Starfield" that's going quite well and is fun to play.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

or one of the 10 million different roguelike deckbuilders? tons of indie devs jumping on that trend.
making a run-based game like a roguelite is big for long term replayability

Deckbuilders aren't CCGs, though, which is what OP was looking for. The emphasis is on the collection, and then building a deck out of your giant pile of 500 different cards.

Now, if OP is fine with deckbuilders, then sure, they have loads of singleplayer options.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shine posted:

I just remembered this post and it is still a great example of why I love Space Rangers 2.

Lmao I forgot about that. Please tell me what that mission is like in the new (I refuse to accept "better") translation if you've come across it

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

SlothfulCobra posted:

I had my most fun emulating the old Pokemon Trading Card Game videogames for Gameboy. There's not much tutorial, but maybe you can find old advice for the pokemon TCG back in 1998. The second game where Team Rocket GR attacks has a neat little thing where the familiar island gets taken over.

The Pokemon TCG games are great; did an official translation for the sequel ever get released? The fan translation was good enough for me.

In that vain, I'd recommend emulating one of the many Yu-Gi-Oh games. I'm not a huge YGO fan but they have fun single player games where you amass a collection, build decks, and duel chumps.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there such a thing as a falling block puzzle game (Tetris, Puyo Puyo, etc) with an interesting story mode?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Puyo Tetris 1&2 have very funny story modes but since you cited both of those I'm assuming you've played them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cicero posted:

Is there such a thing as a falling block puzzle game (Tetris, Puyo Puyo, etc) with an interesting story mode?
Meteos?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Henry Hatsworth

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Bit of a topical recommendation I'm looking for: played a bit of Starfield but wasn't really feeling it, so I'm looking for Starfield but...good?

More specifically, I guess I'm looking for a Bethesda-ish game (open world FPS RPG) like Fallout 4 and Outer Worlds and Skyrim but better. While this does mean I'd like a better story and more interesting quests and so on, the main aspect I'd like to avoid is that weird 50-50 split they do with FPS and RPG that leads to very boring skill trees (more carry weight and higher passive damage, woo~) and bland combat with awkward animations, limp feedback, no strategy and spongy enemies that illogically take multiple headshots. I like the core idea of their seamless open world to explore and scavenge, along with interesting RPG-ish build expression and so on, though.

This led me to the obvious answer of going for Bethesda-ish games with a greater FPS focus and a lesser RPG focus: games that focus more on player skill with minor RPG-esque skills/gear and more consistent/logical enemy design. The way I see it, this would be mostly imm-sim games like Stalker, Metro 2033, System Shock, Prey, Bioshock, and the newer Deus Ex, among other games like Remnant and so on. Indeed, this is probably where I should go, and I'd be down for more recommendations.

But, as a thought experiment, I was more curious to see what people might recommend for Bethesda-ish games with a greater RPG focus and a lesser FPS focus: typically this would mean leaving behind the FPS design and going for something isometric and turn-based like Underrail or Fallout 1/2, but I wonder if there are some FPS games that do a good job being an RPG. Most of the games I can think of end up being quite awkward though: you've got the old Deus Ex with aiming that takes forever to sight-in, Morrowind with melee attacks that mysteriously miss as if they ghosted through the enemy, Alpha Protocol with its just general terribleness, and so on. Maybe those awkward aspects are just something that naturally comes with trying to paradoxically blend FPS/action with RPG and you have to accept it, but I think there are some games that do a better job than others: Kingdom Come Deliverance felt like it had a nice sense of progression in getting better at sword combat through both the character themselves and you as a player practicing swordplay, for example. Any others?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

But, as a thought experiment, I was more curious to see what people might recommend for Bethesda-ish games with a greater RPG focus and a lesser FPS focus: typically this would mean leaving behind the FPS design and going for something isometric and turn-based like Underrail or Fallout 1/2, but I wonder if there are some FPS games that do a good job being an RPG. Most of the games I can think of end up being quite awkward though: you've got the old Deus Ex with aiming that takes forever to sight-in, Morrowind with melee attacks that mysteriously miss as if they ghosted through the enemy, Alpha Protocol with its just general terribleness, and so on. Maybe those awkward aspects are just something that naturally comes with trying to paradoxically blend FPS/action with RPG and you have to accept it, but I think there are some games that do a better job than others: Kingdom Come Deliverance felt like it had a nice sense of progression in getting better at sword combat through both the character themselves and you as a player practicing swordplay, for example. Any others?

Yakuza if it doesn't have to be first-person
Dying Light 1 does the open world and RPG skilltrees pretty well

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
My recommendation for "Skyrim but better" would be Elder Scrolls Online.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Cicero posted:

It mixes several genres (and the puzzle element's more of a match-3), but Battle Chef Brigade, maybe?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Any games like Rimworld that are worth playing? I thought maybe dwarf fortress would be similar but it didn't seem to click for me when I tried it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Goobish posted:

Any games like Rimworld that are worth playing? I thought maybe dwarf fortress would be similar but it didn't seem to click for me when I tried it.

gotta be a touch more specific as to what you liked about Rimworld. Rimworldlikes are an entire genre at this point

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Goobish posted:

Clanfolk is my current favorite. No combat and guiding a small group of Scottish freeholders into growing rich and numerous. It has pet dogs and cats!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Ghostwire Tokyo is an interesting mix between first person and RPG, with a somewhat open world. Might be worth a look, I enjoyed it at least.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My kid has asked for a console for Christmas. I have not had a console since the Xbox 360, original run. She does not have a preference.

Games we're looking for: a local coop game with a decent story and monster killing. She's played hogwarts legacy through about 3 times now. She likes Horizon Zero Dawn, but she isn't super dexterous and it's a bit hard for her.

I'd go with a Diablo clone, but want to avoid an actual diablo for various reasons.

Is there a game out there like diablo or Hogwarts that has local coop and is somewhat appropriate for a 9-11yo?

Local coop isn't a complete necessity, as I'm sure she'd enjoy torchlight 2 or something like that.

Does one console or the other have more options for things like this? I kinda want to rule out Nintendo simply because it's just Zelda and there's no guarantees she's into it, as she likes playing female characters with customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda want to say Xbox because of gamepass and the 800 games that comes with.

My wife and I played through a lot of coop games on it.

Afaik neither consoles have exclusives that have coop.