Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's cool that in trying to backpedal they're moving closer and closer to the option that's explicitly illegal under GDPR

bro that's europe we're an american company we'll be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if any of unity’s execs had an ounce of self awareness then this would end with riccitello being assaulted in the halls with a lucite paperweight

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kerrzhe posted:

no! he didn't get to play Ghost Trick yet!!!! :negative:

I rise!!! To play ghost trick at an indeterminate date in the future. Probably 13 or so games from now. Not sure. Bad at scheduling.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also this unity thing is wild. So many great games in Unity that I hope will not be affected. I really hope they backtrack completely because this is boneheaded.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Radiation Games posted:

Also this unity thing is wild. So many great games in Unity that I hope will not be affected. I really hope they backtrack completely because this is boneheaded.

it seems so ill-conceived and poorly received that it's hard to imagine them not walking it back

it's one thing to have an obviously terrible new licensing agreement put in place, but it's quite another to have one where it becomes glaringly obvious that there was zero thought put into the ramifications of it for anything other than F2P mobile games and you're just calvinballing "clarifications" onto twitter to try and calm the furor

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will always remember that clip from Riticello talking about microtransactions where he basically says 'In the heat of battle in a call of duty players will not care that they have to pay for a clip, they will want to get right back to the action' and feeling so completely mindblown. Paying for individual bullets probably was a strategy he was trying to enact at some point before being canned. Just a ludicrous business.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

First clips free

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I beseech thee Larian, license Divinity 4.0 unto the masses.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Makes me think of that story with the cop who has to put a quarter in his gun because he lives in a libertarian utopia.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Ritucello desperately wants to be the next Bobby Kotick and has finally succeeded, but not in the way he meant.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
From now on there will be a 20c per post charge. Sorry, this is just good business sense. Posts previous to this announcement will not be affected but any empty quoting of posts before from this point on will have the tax levi. There is also no limit to the charges brought by empty quoting. :colbert:

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Radiation Games posted:

From now on there will be a 20c per post charge. Sorry, this is just good business sense. Posts previous to this announcement will not be affected but any empty quoting of posts before from this point on will have the tax levi. There is also no limit to the charges brought by empty quoting. :colbert:

But surely we won't get charged for editing posts?

Edit: gently caress!

Fake Name fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 13, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fake Name posted:

But surely we won't get charged for editing posts?

I will be able to tell. Trust me. It is all calculated on the Radium Backend.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Radiation Games posted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Please stop costing me money.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm willing to pay twenty cents to post my robot space wizard that i finally managed to unlock

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Like, this thing makes it the most logical action for an indie dev to completely remove a game from Steam etc after sales drop off, so users can’t even install the game anymore.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How is the conversation not
"Yeah we changed some words on a bit of paper, and now you owe us 200k retroactively"
"Get hosed dickhead"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Infinitum posted:

"Yeah we changed some words on a bit of paper, and now you owe us 200k retroactively"

POV: you're playing monopoly with your 5 year old brother and you're getting bored

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Infinitum posted:

"Get hosed dickhead"

Apparently there's enough language in the ToS as it was about introducing new fees at any time that they're weaseling it in but yeah the metrics they're using are so black box by their own admission I'd like to see them defend it in court

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*European Union has entered the chat*
"GUTEN TAG"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I would think you would want to be a little more subtle when you start opening up the tap to drain more blood out of your captive userbase but I guess that's why I don't make the big bucks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unity: We are going to charge for each install
Devs: Wtf I can't afford that, I just won't use Unity
Unity: No, we're going to charge the company that distributes the runtime for you, so it'd be on the storefront.
Valve, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo: gently caress that, we're just not going to accept Unity games anymore
Devs: I just won't use Unity

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this is absolutely just the one douchebag selling off all his stock and then torching the company so he can buy it back cheap

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1701958929763172706?t=_Te4LXyUNS5_ssqLgvw-zQ&s=19

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Silksong let’s go

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
“Silksong will be delayed 14 more months to port the game away from Unity”

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

hatty posted:

Silksong let’s go

Maybe one day

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bilked Long

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Smash Pass 3 babyyyyy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Infinitum posted:

Smash Pass 3 babyyyyy

Everyone Else Is Here

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Vermain posted:

that dude apparently dumped 2k worth of stock before the announcement, so it might be sooner than you think if the SEC's eyebrows get sufficiently raised

Unity stock is so garbo that 2000 shares is only about $80,000. He probably had to go to target or something.

Also I realized that the game I do hobby dev on to support makes less than 40 grand a year lol. crisis averted

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They're announcing fire emblem

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF28dcgUOBo

haha yay i thought it’s 2024 :kimchi:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Using my crystal ball to predict the Direct.

-Mario VS Donkey Kong
-F-Zero 99
-a Fire Emblem Remake
-Touch Memory port
-Princess Peach Game preview
-Super Mario 128 complete with hyper-real grafix, blood, and skin

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
got a click bait with some bad news about the sims. the next version will be free and not replace 4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hatty posted:

Silksong let’s go
bad news. hollow knight was made in unity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

manglar posted:

Big fan of the phrasing "demos mostly won't trigger fees." What does "mostly" mean? Who knows!

1. Is the demo mad popular?
2. Is it from a sequel that was mad popular?

If either 1 or 2, KER CHING!
John Riccitiello is getting that fourth gold plated yacht!