Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lmfao

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not expecting Callandor. Rand's experiences with it are almost all internal, and while it's an important mcguffin at the last battle and his whole Freaky Friday bit with Moridin, I don't know how much of that is going to translate well to a tv show. And so far they've shown a deft hand with cutting out/changing stuff that mostly happens in people's heads.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Wait I just remembered that the show made nynaeve and Egwene ta’veren as well. Has there been anything to support that shown since that reveal in season 1?
can you really qualify it as a reveal when they say it outright in like episode 1

Rand hasn't been causing every unmarried person in town to marry each other and Mat is still poo poo at gambling so I'm not sure why you think they need to support Egwene and Nynaeve being ta'veran. They're getting involved in a lot of bullshit and that's all the support any ta'veran is getting right now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

I'm not expecting Callandor. Rand's experiences with it are almost all internal, and while it's an important mcguffin at the last battle and his whole Freaky Friday bit with Moridin, I don't know how much of that is going to translate well to a tv show. And so far they've shown a deft hand with cutting out/changing stuff that mostly happens in people's heads.

As long as they're deft with cutting hands too

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As long as they're deft with cutting hands too

Do you not remember the Whitecloak cold open in season 1? The showrunners are perfectly deft at cutting hands.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Just as long as we get little fat man angreal I'm happy. I can't recall, what did the angreal Rand got in the season one finale look like? I hope that wasn't it

I think it would be cool if Callandor was just blatantly a legally-distinct lightsaber, the more anachronistic future tech that shows up in the show the better. Also having his prophesied super weapon drive him insane faster is a rich mine of drama to draw from so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't show up to one degree or another. It ended up not being much in the books but we're so far off the rails at this point that I'm just looking forward to what strange configurations all the pieces of the story end up in by the end.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Grundulum posted:

Do you not remember the Whitecloak cold open in season 1? The showrunners are perfectly deft at cutting hands.

Point

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CainsDescendant posted:

Just as long as we get little fat man angreal I'm happy. I can't recall, what did the angreal Rand got in the season one finale look like? I hope that wasn't it

I think it would be cool if Callandor was just blatantly a legally-distinct lightsaber, the more anachronistic future tech that shows up in the show the better. Also having his prophesied super weapon drive him insane faster is a rich mine of drama to draw from so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't show up to one degree or another. It ended up not being much in the books but we're so far off the rails at this point that I'm just looking forward to what strange configurations all the pieces of the story end up in by the end.

That's a good point actually, they haven't really shown anything in the way of "future tech that we don't really have the vocabulary to describe" that would come across totally different in a show than in a book, have they? All we've seen is like, that one flashback to the AoL. There have been a few angreal/ter'angreal here and there like the arches and the Oath Rod, but they just read as "magic doohickeys" rather than "modern tech teleported into medieval times".

I want to see them trying to channel into an iPhone or some poo poo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The world before the breaking was supposed to have been a utopia, so I don't think they had iphones

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They're probably going to cut Tanchico out but it would have been funny to see a bunch of crap from our age on display in the museum there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You could maybe just about get away with it because that and Rhuidean are the only real major new locations from Book 4 and two new big sets a season seems doable.

Or you could take the Tanchico storyline and transpose it to Falme so you're working with sets that are already made

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Never mind, forums failed me.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They're probably going to cut Tanchico out but it would have been funny to see a bunch of crap from our age on display in the museum there.

I'd like to see it, but I have a feeling instead of a Mercedes hood ornament it would be a Tesla symbol and Nynaeve would say "It feels like greed and stupidity" or something like that.

I would like them to keep Callandor and get Gaul in there. Callandor for the imagery and it's a big part of what Min figures out in her studying, and Gaul just because he's fun. His and Bain and Chiad's interactions are really fun and kind of humanize the Aiel a lot more than any other Aiel we see I think.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I thought that this was a nice behind the scenes video giving a good look at some of the costumes and stuff.

Slight spoilers/hints about stuff we know is coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcH3OR6ElIU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

I think it would be cool if Callandor was just blatantly a legally-distinct lightsaber, the more anachronistic future tech that shows up in the show the better.

Always thought that was what Shock Lance's were, that also shot lasers

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shageletic posted:

Always thought that was what Shock Lance's were, that also shot lasers

I always imagined shock lances as something like the Chronoscepter from Turok, probably because I was playing Turok during my first readthroughs of Wheel of Time when I was in Middle School.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 13, 2023

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I always imagined they were like those laser staves from Stargate but with more of a lightning effect

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Whew, caught up on the thread and the TV series. I'm still not entirely sure about this Moiraine / Lan business, but oh man they knocked it out of the park with Nynaeve's testing for Accepted. Exactly as harrowing and awful as it should be. The effects for weaving the Power look much more like how I imagined them. Some slightly odd changes (Lanfear as an innkeeper? Would she really stoop that low, even for Lews Therin reborn?) but otherwise I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Whew, caught up on the thread and the TV series. I'm still not entirely sure about this Moiraine / Lan business, but oh man they knocked it out of the park with Nynaeve's testing for Accepted. Exactly as harrowing and awful as it should be. The effects for weaving the Power look much more like how I imagined them. Some slightly odd changes (Lanfear as an innkeeper? Would she really stoop that low, even for Lews Therin reborn?) but otherwise I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

In the books she was a fat wagon peddler in a desert for a while so being a hot mommy inn keeper seems a step up.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CuriousSymptoms posted:

The thing I loved about the Lanfear stuff is how toxic it is that she's trying to normalize a relationship in which they're both using each other. I'm all for consenting adults doing whatever as long as they're honest, so in theory her whole "You help me remember I'll help you forget," thing is fine because at least they're both being honest about it, but at the same time she's NOT really being honest. The truth she's giving him is a half truth, and she has all kinds of knowledge about his situation he doesn't realize, so really she's just trying to make Rand dance on her strings through the illusion of honesty.

A fresh watcher might think its that kind of Toxic Wholesome that Game of Thrones was so good at portraying, the small scrap of imperfect happiness the characters manage to find in a messed up world, but a book reader will know what's going on instantly, which makes the whole thing that much more twisted. Quintessential Lanfear.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

The thing I loved about the Lanfear stuff is how toxic it is that she's trying to normalize a relationship in which they're both using each other. I'm all for consenting adults doing whatever as long as they're honest, so in theory her whole "You help me remember I'll help you forget," thing is fine because at least they're both being honest about it, but at the same time she's NOT really being honest. The truth she's giving him is a half truth, and she has all kinds of knowledge about his situation he doesn't realize, so really she's just trying to make Rand dance on her strings through the illusion of honesty.

A fresh watcher might think its that kind of Toxic Wholesome that Game of Thrones was so good at portraying, the small scrap of imperfect happiness the characters manage to find in a messed up world, but a book reader will know what's going on instantly, which makes the whole thing that much more twisted. Quintessential Lanfear.

Oh for sure. Once I got my head round what they were doing with the character I was absolutely sold. The precise method of getting there is different from the book, but essentially the conclusion is exactly the same narrative beat: she lies, and lies, and lies, and we see her twist Rand in circles, and the dramatic irony for that bit of the audience that's in the know when Moiraine turned up was fabulous. I was clutching a cushion and pointing at the screen as soon as she appeared, yelling 'Oh no! LANFEAR!' to my long-suffering husband. Delighted.

CainFortea posted:

In the books she was a fat wagon peddler in a desert for a while so being a hot mommy inn keeper seems a step up.

This is fair and reasonable. She's never been above deception to take what she wants.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Edit: accidental double post

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CuriousSymptoms posted:

This is fair and reasonable. She's never been above deception to take what she wants.

Assuming she's been freed since soon after the end of season 1, she's probably been watching Rand for months and knew the one thing he would trust and appreciate above all else is an innkeeper's bed. Given his relationship with Egwene and all the time he spent on the road.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Just goes to show you can never trust a skinny innkeeper

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She doesn't bustle at all, that should have been clue 1

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Really liking this season, but the magic is so bad. I wish they got Noah Hawley.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 14, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've been going slow on KoD, just luxuriating in the last Robert Jordan I'll be able to read other than New Spring. And it's easy to do, not because of the quality of the plotting, like CoT, but because it's so good. Just climax after climax paying off untold pages and near half a dozen worth of book plotlines.

I'm midway thru Perrin's rescue (I have some thoughts on that, and the lack of agency given to Faile as she reverts to a damsel in distress archetype, and Morgase continues to be for near 6 books). And the bit about Galina betraying Faile, and the rest of her party encouraging Morgase to channel to get help was a beautiful and heart stirring moment. Just wonderful.

Then Rolan shows up with his printer carrying rear end asking for kissing games and pinching everyone's rear end and Faile being oh you and I'm thinking, was Jordan always this bad with the sexual politics? With viewing the lack of ability to say no a foundational timber in some ribald country comedy. Did Jordan fall into a mild form of old man Sci-fi horniness as he aged? Because I don't remember him being this bad at in day the first 6 or 7 books, unless someone corrects me. And it just punctures thru these wonderful moments...I would have so much preferred Faile's subjects sworn to her being the only ones diggingout if you had to go ugh whatever.

Perrin running out of the fog was great. And eager to finish up the chapter/plotline.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think that particular plotline is just straight up the worst/lowest point of the books. Very minor spoilers, but, it stays bad all the way to the end, including the remnants in Sanderson's books.

The stuff with Matt and Tylin was also really bad, but, at least with that bit you can say that there was a purposeful attempt to highlight how poorly sexual assault is typically regarded in terms of disbelieving victims, victim blaming, playing it off as jokes, etc. The execution wasn't good but the intent was there.

Faile's stuff with Rolan and the brotherless and the entire captivity arc is just bad start to finish.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you're looking for bad sexual politics in the early books there's that time Perrin spanks Faile in the middle of the Ways in book 4

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol oh yeah good times

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

He sure did love spanking, huh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I think that particular plotline is just straight up the worst/lowest point of the books. Very minor spoilers, but, it stays bad all the way to the end, including the remnants in Sanderson's books.

Goddamit

CuriousSymptoms posted:

He sure did

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Barreft posted:

Really liking this season, but the magic is so bad. I wish they got Noah Hawley.

I watched Legion directly because of the amount of people saying variations on this

I really struggle to see how it would work with the magic they've done so far.

There are some moments that could be pretty cool done in a similar "layer above reality" style but I think for the most part if you're going to call your magic "weaving" the way they've put it together is the most logical way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

There are some moments that could be pretty cool done in a similar "layer above reality" style but I think for the most part if you're going to call your magic "weaving" the way they've put it together is the most logical way.

legion also did not just look like that generally, it's a climactic battle with the big bad at the end of the second season then never done again. it works, in part, because it comes out of nowhere and is a way to dramatize a fight that would otherwise just be two men staring angrily at each other

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Legion does the Tel'aran'rhiod stuff perfectly, and the fight scene above would be out of the world for the Falme showdown or the Rahvin fight. When David attacks the Division in the first season is also great at super powerful channeler annihilates no magic soldiers, there's also when he melts that guys brain in Season 3 which is the same as really sucking at compulsion.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think ppl subconsciously or not are just asking for huge visual feasts, which should be a huge advantage of it being on a visual medium. The writing is certainly enough to evoke something like that in your head.

Feels like there's plenty of material for that in the first 3 books as well. We're well past the first book so Rand tumbling into a horde of Trollics and summoning the eye to destroy them all can't happen. And we're not doing the parallel worlds/hosed up futures things. But there's still awesome moments I think to plumb.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i think Falme will be the real test. to some extent, the show benefits narratively from having most of our characters be untrained and barely understand their powers so you don't expect them to be super cool or flashy yet, but that can only last so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CuriousSymptoms posted:

That and people getting naked. Oh, are we about to do some kind of ritual? Gotta be naked for that. Encountering a new culture? Oh, look, they're disrobing.