Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

There's something weird about a company trying to bury bad news by releasing it during the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but our sister company tried it yesterday. How bad are things? This was announced in the morning and before noon it was pretty clear the company I work for, part of the same conglomerate, was going to see layoffs. Last night my wife got a call from her boss' boss telling her she was losing three of her 12 direct reports and had to inform them they were laid off first thing this morning. The company had predetermined who was being let go some time back.

It's bad all around. My department, Supply Chain, had a 10% cut alone; two people in the group I'm in were let go and all but two contractors are gone. They laid off a couple high level executives as well, but the rank and file are getting hit hard. Adding insult to injury, I checked in with a friend who works for the sister company that caused all this and there aren't any layoffs there yet. It may be that they are going to roll those out eventually, but to save my wife's sanity I'm not telling her because the three people she was required to lay off accounted for like 50% of her highest volume customers and things were already strained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
We had two higher ups canned the other day and they immediately had all-staff video meeting where our CEO told us while he was still clearly rattled from watching two people sob. Oh the one hand, I guess it's always heartening to see someone is a human being about this stuff, on the other, he was so off-kilter it really seemed like something else big is going on behind the scenes. It definitely gives a 'poo poo is gonna get bad before it gets better' vibe.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

I looked up my last company on GlassDoor.

I got you beat, one of my previous employers has 2.3 stars from 700 reviews. Turns out halving the workforce every couple of years and having a handful of mournful alcoholics and new graduates rattling round in once thriving offices makes for unhappy workplaces. The office (one of 50 round the country) I was in was built round what had been a busy workshop and distribution hub back in the 80s, maybe 300 people on the office floors; huge reception, expensive meeting rooms. All mouldering and rotting away and falling apart, weird lumpy folk tucked away in attic offices they'd occupied for 40 years, pigeons nesting in the remote corner offices, yellowed tape on every surface. Just an amazing vibe. I have a few photos I need to look out once I'm back on my main computer.

cynic fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 12, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cynic posted:

I have a few photos I need to look out once I'm back on my main computer.

:justpost: :posthaste:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

There's something weird about a company trying to bury bad news by releasing it during the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but our sister company tried it yesterday. How bad are things? This was announced in the morning and before noon it was pretty clear the company I work for, part of the same conglomerate, was going to see layoffs. Last night my wife got a call from her boss' boss telling her she was losing three of her 12 direct reports and had to inform them they were laid off first thing this morning. The company had predetermined who was being let go some time back.

It's bad all around. My department, Supply Chain, had a 10% cut alone; two people in the group I'm in were let go and all but two contractors are gone. They laid off a couple high level executives as well, but the rank and file are getting hit hard. Adding insult to injury, I checked in with a friend who works for the sister company that caused all this and there aren't any layoffs there yet. It may be that they are going to roll those out eventually, but to save my wife's sanity I'm not telling her because the three people she was required to lay off accounted for like 50% of her highest volume customers and things were already strained.

But the stock price is pretty good. I bought some v0v.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

But the stock price is pretty good. I bought some v0v.

And in the end, isn't that all that matters?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

zedprime posted:

At least they're trying to adhere.

My wife's (government) employer is going through a small HR crisis as a number of people thought they had verbal HR permission to self style themselves as job titles with incredibly different contract requirements than their official title. Especially paygrades. This opens up cans of worms for among other things: lawsuits for increased pay by the worker, lawsuits for decreased pay by the government, and lawsuits by citizens against the government for transparency.

Titles mean nothing and I'm all for naming yourself what you want/the next level/chief clown officer but maybe don't do that on government contracts.

Dumb poo poo your work does: chief clown officer

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Our schematics disagree with themselves constantly. The water flow interlock signal either goes through connector 14 or 16 depending on which page you look at. This is fine. This is great. I love when my schematics are the loving Rashomon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

Our schematics disagree with themselves constantly. The water flow interlock signal either goes through connector 14 or 16 depending on which page you look at. This is fine. This is great. I love when my schematics are the loving Rashomon.

Im sorry, the manager responsible for approvals is currently on leave. I can take a message for Mr. Godot and he will follow up when he returns.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Volmarias posted:

And in the end, isn't that all that matters?

I didn't pick the game, I'm just playing as best I can.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Orvin posted:

Ever have one of those moments where you read something posted by a known dumb coworker, and there is that brief flash of “they can’t be that dumb, am I the idiot?”, just to double check and yup, dumb coworker is super dumb.

The company I work for has fixed levels of individual contributor, E01 to E04, with a corresponding prefix to the title.

E01 - Associate
E02 - “blank”
E03 - Senior

I am an E04, and I was looking up the title of a coworker in emails so I can throw it in an email that included some outside customers. She had it as Principle XXXX as her signature. I had that brief moment of “Am I the idiot spelling my title wrong?” And quick go check other email signatures and internal documents. Nope, luckily that is not the reason I am an idiot, as I was correct in my signature. It’s Principal for the E04 level.

Principal Assistant to the Senior XXXX

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally got a pair of golden handcuffs all my own.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I need access to THE Outlook Folder.

What is the name of the mailbox you need access to?

Its the same folder as XXXX has.

What is the name of the mailbox and can you please include your managers authorization to it?

Manager: Give them access to THE mailbox.

What is the name of the mailbox?

It's the same folder XXXX has!

They send me a screenshot of Outlook showing a mailbox with the name of a different department in the format of a mail list (not mailbox) but it gives me enough of a clue to work out what Mailbox they actually want.

They never actually tell me the name.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Tell them where to find the name for the mailbox - they're not answering because they don't know what that is/where to find it. If their Outlook was set up for them by the company, they may have no idea of even the basics of what things are called. So they're desperately sending you the only thing they can figure out, which is that there's a folder they can't access.

I can't guarantee that telling them where to find the info you are requesting will work with all or even the majority of people, but for the few who do read emails and follow directions, it will help them out and speed up the process.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Oh no blink twice if they've got hostages :ohdear:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I looked up one of my previous employers on Glassdoor and they are rated way too high. Maybe they targeted our lab and only our lab to gently caress us over years back.

Apparently I could work for them again, all I’d have to is move to Guam for $44 an hour and hope they reimburse the moving costs

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Are they in Singapore? :ohdear:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

For those who haven’t seen it, you owe yourself (uh, :nws:).

It captures the spirit of American car sales incredibly accurately.
(snip)
You leave with your apple. As soon as you leave the store and take a bite of it, you discover that it has a worm in it. This is not covered by the extended warranty.

Edmunds Confessions of a Car Salesman (it an undercover reporter story) is one of those things that lives permanently in my bookmarks folder. its a good read, but uh, its from so long ago that the original url is dead so you get the hilariously outdated web 1.0 version.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050206224617/http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html
Still relevant tho.

Outrail posted:

I think it is possible to get out on a dnc list, but it takes time and it's a giant pain in the rear end. Ymmv

the federal do not call list is pretty simple to sign up for! If you're in colorado, there's some additional extra local protection and a seperate list. The TCPA act of 91 is actually pretty robust and has some teeth to it. The sooner you sign up, the sooner you're protected.

this is a (not my) lovely personal blog, but it goes a good job quickly breaking it down. There's actually a fairly decent money making potential here as long as you're willing to take notes about it.

actual law text is - here.
Also worth briefly reading on the can-spam act(extra protection), and the traced act(which masssively raised the fine ceiling on robocallers)

History Comes Inside! posted:

If I’m not busy I’ll answer them and see how long I can keep the human on the line once the call gets handed off if it’s one of those types.

If you already go through this trouble, ask the spam company for a written copy of their do not call list! Its an easy tcpa violation because most companies don't bother.

Also, generally speaking, if you're already going down the burner phone route and travel(or have relatives), it might be worth your while to get one with a california area code specifically. They're well known for stricter privacy laws, and there's the bonus chance of making companies pre-emptively gently caress off with their data selling if you use it to sign up for services.

Sorry for the quote-heavy post! they can be a chore to read - My project over covid was de-cluterring my phone lines and physical mailbox; so its all on hand information, but it makes all the difference if you're spam victim so I didn't wanna let it slip by.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
One of the scary parts of my last job was that I spent over a decade having access to every email, every text message, every IM, every social media profile and posts, etc for people and now I know places like that and many others have complete access to every one of my lifetime's communications. "Big Brother" is way, way bigger than you think it is.

Like a guy at that company while I was there got in trouble for looking up internal conversations about himself that his bank's employees were saying about him. Nothing you say is private. Nothing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

jfc

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

But Whatsapp says is got end to end encryption and no one can snoop on me?????????

Zuckerberg lied??????

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
When I worked at a bank, they intercepted all network traffic, but they also did it in such a clumsy way that any website with SSL sounded the alarm that you're getting hacked and sites with HSTS just didn't work at all.

IT would tell us to just ignore SSL warnings, which I'm sure did wonders for security.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Who cares about privacy, I got promised a free lunch today and they ran out.

It's not even a free lunch, I'm supposed to be a dancing monkey in 20 minutes. Monkey need food.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
So I work in education, a few years ago the government effectively merged a whole bunch of competitive institutions together into one national one. Not too much of a drama, but there have been some bloody wild decisions made.

The most recent one is with one of our courses, our version of it was subsidized by industry allowing us to run it dirt cheap, this was done because of a shortage of workers so it allowed us to get more people through the door.

Our former competition in the region wasn't subsidized, but to stay in the game was running the course at a major loss.

Well now we are technically the same organization and the head body has declared we cannot be industry subsidized any more as we are a government organization now and that would maybe cause a conflict of interest. Fine and good, we just need to increase our price.

Not allowed, we have to match the other provider, as we are the same company we have to charge the same.
They're not allowed to increase their prices as the merged org has been getting major bad press and they don't want to be seen to be increasing the price of education. So now both campuses are going to lose money on the course.

The last bit of icing on the cake is we got told that if our department loses money next year, which is guaranteed, there will be staff cuts.

Our industry is still on the critical skills shortage list and I have to attend a meeting next week, run by the same body that refuses to let us change our price, to present options to get more people working in the field. I'm willing to bet that not firing staff because you won't let us charge an appropriate amount is not going to be on the table.

For context, we currently charge about $2kusd a head. We need to charge about 4.5k to break even.
65% of our students go into industry, and something like 80% of them are making six figures after three years. The industry was literally funding us with money they found down the back of the couch.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What is that industry?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Odddzy posted:

What is that industry?

Yeah. I wanna know this too.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I wish I'd taken more, or that I was better at taking photos, but imagine room after empty room like these - all humid and musty and yellowing.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

cynic posted:

I wish I'd taken more, or that I was better at taking photos, but imagine room after empty room like these - all humid and musty and yellowing.

Do you work for the company from Severence?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

cynic posted:

That poo poo looks like The Stanley Parable and the Old Aperture sections of Portal 2 came to life.

I want that fan, so so badly.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Odddzy posted:

What is that industry?

Electrical and mechanical automation with an emphasis on mining and nautical. Basically the usual deal with trades, you make excellent money for as long as your body lasts. Which is why I'm a 30 year old with my own house, but also buggered knees, back, shoulder, and have had heavy metal poisoning plus asbestos exposure.

Not going into more detail because it's kind of a small industry and, all this bullshit aside, I like my job.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"I didn't say I'm a programmer, I said I work in the Source engine."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sometimes hierarchy in a business can surprise you. The second my promotion cleared I got an invite to meet the regional boss who otherwise would not be able to meet with me, as my rank was too low, but they had taken interest in my career so they were just waiting I guess?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

God this photo just does something to the horror part of my brain.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Half expecting Cave Johnson to come on and start talking about lemons.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Barudak posted:

Sometimes hierarchy in a business can surprise you. The second my promotion cleared I got an invite to meet the regional boss who otherwise would not be able to meet with me, as my rank was too low, but they had taken interest in my career so they were just waiting I guess?

What the gently caress?

I can't speak to the plebs, it's poor optics Jerimiah. They must be at least senior manager before I'm even allowed alone in the same room as them. It would be unseemly otherwise. Like taking tea with a Protestant.

Edit: oh gently caress it's a Barudak post. Nevermind. This all checks out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Conversely I would pay a witch let's say 10% of my salary if she cursed my name so that no one with the title of GM or VP or above could say my name.

I'm torn on paying extra to cut out jr VPs and directors too but that might actually affect my ability to do my job.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I see the rockwell automation lettering and i know they spent a lot of money that's just sitting now.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

dervinosdoom posted:

I see the rockwell automation lettering and i know they spent a lot of money that's just sitting now.

So many retroencabulators, just gathering dust...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Literal dumb poo poo: In our new-ish (complete gut and remodeled) building they installed the toilet paper dispensers way too close and low to the actual toilet so when you sit down you have to turn at an angle because you can't fit your leg there. This is in the ladies' room too, so it's not like you only have to deal with it once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

Literal dumb poo poo: In our new-ish (complete gut and remodeled) building they installed the toilet paper dispensers way too close and low to the actual toilet so when you sit down you have to turn at an angle because you can't fit your leg there. This is in the ladies' room too, so it's not like you only have to deal with it once in a while.

I wonder if this is intentional to get people to leave the stall sooner, like those slanted seats