Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, aren’t there also brief call-backs for completing each of the relic quests from ARR-ShB?

None that I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The requirements are a bit steep but if you do all the shadowbringers role quests (and some heavensward extreme trials) there's a followup that's very good.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Did those. The DPS role quests left me with questions that I was hoping the healer and tank quests would either answer or give me a few more interesting questions. The MSQ acknowledging that by letting me talk to Cyella instead of one of the 4 role npc's during that inn conversation was a nice touch.

I probably made it harder on myself by leveling warrior and white mage instead of classes that started at a higher level but I don't regret it. I also fell in love with white mage so I guess I'm a healer main now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vord posted:

I also fell in love with white mage so I guess I'm a healer main now.
Excuse you, we are Green DPS mains. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD LILY!

Also, welcome to the WAR + WHM main club. :respek:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 13, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vord posted:

Thanks everyone. It looks like I just have to finish Eden and the Nier raids then I'll be good. Special thanks to iPodschun for pointing out that F'lhaminn quest. It was sweet. Everything past ARR has been amazing and I'm glad I forced myself to push past that slog that was post ARR patch content.

I finished the weapon trials earlier today and as a gundam fan I absolutely loved them. If at the start of ARR someone had told me I'd be fighting a not Neue Ziel that turns in to a xenomorph from on top of a not GP03 I would of thought they were loving with me.

\/ I'm not that dedicated.

Weapon stuff Diamond Weapon is like some unholy combination of Psycho Gundam and Gundam Barbatos and it rules. Ruby's mostly Sazabi as explicitly mentioned by Yoship with Devil Gundam vibes in phase 2 and Emerald's a mix of Queen Mansa and Kshatriya. Sapphire's just kinda its own thing really, which is a shame when there's so many aquatic MS to pick from.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 13, 2023

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Not related to Endwalker at all, but if you haven't done so, you should go back to Ishgard, go to the shopping area, find the NPC named Mathye, and do the lv. 56 quest called 'Keeping the Ledger'. Best done after doing the ARR Hildibrand quests.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
HW spoilers I really wish they hadn’t undone all the good story at the end of ARR. it feels extremely forced and lazy to bring these characters back and if loses all impact of those scenes. The fact is HW is much much better when you think the idiotic sultana is dead and all the scions are dead too. If alph had died too that would have been perfect. Your light party heading into HW is perfect and all the characters introduced to join you there are so, so much better than the scions. It’s a loving shame they didn’t hold their ground here and went for yet again, another plot cop out.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you've finished SB, it's worth also doing enough quests in mor dhona to unlock Doman Reconstruction. Takes a while to get to the end in real time since it's based on a weekly timer, but it's something to do with some of the silver allagan pieces you get from 18h ventures. My free teleport is still to Doma because of this. Every week another 40k Gil.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

That Little Demon posted:

HW spoilers I really wish they hadn’t undone all the good story at the end of ARR. it feels extremely forced and lazy to bring these characters back and if loses all impact of those scenes. The fact is HW is much much better when you think the idiotic sultana is dead and all the scions are dead too. If alph had died too that would have been perfect. Your light party heading into HW is perfect and all the characters introduced to join you there are so, so much better than the scions. It’s a loving shame they didn’t hold their ground here and went for yet again, another plot cop out.

Tbh I 100% agree, at least as far as the story of HW is concerned. That said, I think ShB makes up for it a lot by really giving each of the Scions some time to shine.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
HW: Undoing the Sultana's death was weak, though at least they don't do the WoW thing and like most faction leaders she's important and interesting later. I don't see how you could expect all the Scions to get wiped out, especially since they get some big consequences and the set ups were decent with a clever use of in setting systems. Y'sh and Thanc escape with a clever loophole so clever it bites them both in the rear end hard. Everybody is hinted at as getting a heroic stand off and escape in the ARR scenes, dying off screen wouldn't be too satisfying either.

I guess you might be mad Papalymo lived, but he's the only popoto with dignity anyway. ;)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation

Doomykins posted:

HW: Undoing the Sultana's death was weak, though at least they don't do the WoW thing and like most faction leaders she's important and interesting later. I don't see how you could expect all the Scions to get wiped out, especially since they get some big consequences and the set ups were decent with a clever use of in setting systems. Y'sh and Thanc escape with a clever loophole so clever it bites them both in the rear end hard. Everybody is hinted at as getting a heroic stand off and escape in the ARR scenes, dying off screen wouldn't be too satisfying either.

I guess you might be mad Papalymo lived, but he's the only popoto with dignity anyway. ;)

I guess I just living in blissful ignorance than I made it through so far and hadn’t heard a peep about them so I assumed they were actually dead and the game was better off for it to give way to new and more interesting characters. It would have been a fine send off for them too, getting killed by a 10 year olds hubris lmao

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I can see that but luckily almost everybody grows on you. Or not, but they're also never as bad as ARR again

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
god I hope so

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

That Little Demon posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame. I think it's fine in hindsight because they manage to make the Scions work as likeable supporting characters during Shadowbringers (which, implicitly, means they failed to do that during all of ARR, Heavensward and Stormblood, it should not have taken until the second last act of the whole story arc for that to happen), but it really is genuinely disappointing that they basically undid everything that happened during The Parting Glass in such an unsatisfying way. There's some lingering scars and consequences - Raubahn's arm, for example - but the stuff about awkwardly tying up ARR's lingering bullshit is basically Heavensward's achilles heel. At least once it's all over, it's over.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
I just replayed FF1 via the pixel remaster and seeing Matoya's name pop up had me like :stonk:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

DelphiAegis posted:

If you've finished SB, it's worth also doing enough quests in mor dhona to unlock Doman Reconstruction. Takes a while to get to the end in real time since it's based on a weekly timer, but it's something to do with some of the silver allagan pieces you get from 18h ventures. My free teleport is still to Doma because of this. Every week another 40k Gil.

This is great to get done alongside Eureka/Bozja, since the entrances are in the area anyway and you get a ton of item/materia drops you don't need. be sure to check the market board first tho

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The real problem with bringing the Scions back post-HW is that Thancred and Y'shtola's outfits look like poo poo and don't get better until mid-ShB.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alphinaud never gets any better and Thancred is just a giant mess of problems in ShB but everyone else in the crew is fine, imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Alphinaud never gets any better and Thancred is just a giant mess of problems in ShB but everyone else in the crew is fine, imo.

Insane take. Alphinaud and Thancred get insanely good in SHB onward.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Insane take. Alphinaud and Thancred get insanely good in SHB onward.

Alphinaud has sucked for his entire existence, and ShB is no exception. The game would be so much better if they killed him off for good. Thancred (shb spoilers) is the absolute worst person imaginable to look after Ryne and he demonstrates this at every available opportunity. He's insanely terrible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

ShB: I can see not liking the character and story beats personally but the ShB Thanc is about Thancred doing right by somebody whose well being and safety he's responsible for, moving past his grief for Minfilla and when he rises to the occasion it's arguably the single best MSQ solo story fight in the entire game, especially for emotional satisfaction. If nothing else I'd have to disagree with you!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Alphinaud has sucked for his entire existence, and ShB is no exception. The game would be so much better if they killed him off for good. Thancred (shb spoilers) is the absolute worst person imaginable to look after Ryne and he demonstrates this at every available opportunity. He's insanely terrible.
he literally apologizes for the way he treated her and demonstrates his improvement in that regard in the eden questline???

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Relyssa posted:

that he's bad at that role doesn't necessarily imply he's a bad character

of course one can think both are true but that distinction is important

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Literally the entire purpose of Ranjit is to act as a Bad Dad foil for Thancred to work through his problems and step up as a Good Dad for Ryne.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Alphinaud is good and cool and my friend, just not during ARR.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

only a couple of them are really around in stormblood (and they're ones who barely got any focus in arr/hw) and in shadowbringers they get overhauled a lot (new designs and such) and also shadowbringers onwards has a different lead writer so the way they're written changes a lot too. they become way more of a jrpg party and way less guys sitting around telling you to do menial tasks in 5000 words. you might not like them much still even after the changes but you get like, barely any of arr style scions going forward, dont worry.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 13, 2023

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

He's an insufferable dweeb. I get that he's supposed to be like that and some people like him specifically for that reason, but he just gets on my nerves. He certainly matures but he never stops being Alphinaud, you know what I mean?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Alphinaud gets better once his sister is around to call him a dummy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Alphinaud becomes more self-aware and humble, and he's lovable in an bumbling, earnest way, and also tends to be the butt of a lot of self-aware jokes. It's interesting characterisation when compared to what he used to be like.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

johnny park posted:

He's an insufferable dweeb. I get that he's supposed to be like that and some people like him specifically for that reason, but he just gets on my nerves. He certainly matures but he never stops being Alphinaud, you know what I mean?

Exactly this. I can see that they're trying to make him the sort of character where you love to dunk on him and such but he just aggravates me every time he opens his mouth. I will concede that he's not as bad as he was in ARR but he's still a character I want absolutely nothing to do with.

Alisaie is precious and always welcome, and I'm somewhat annoyed it takes as long as it does for her to actually show up and hang around in the main story.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 13, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ironically I think alisae sucks rear end and only got remotely bearable in EW.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think I will ever understand your viewpoint when this is combined with your Alph/Thancred opinion.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oops. I meant to say SHB not EW.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Excuse you, we are Green DPS mains. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD LILY!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD LILY! also cast holy all day everyday.

Picayune posted:

Not related to Endwalker at all, but if you haven't done so, you should go back to Ishgard, go to the shopping area, find the NPC named Mathye, and do the lv. 56 quest called 'Keeping the Ledger'. Best done after doing the ARR Hildibrand quests.

I'll do this next. I'm caught up on Hildy quests and was disappointed there wasn't one in shadowbringers. I most know where Greg sent everyone

DelphiAegis posted:

I finish this next week! It's been an enjoyable little ride seeing the Doman Enclave get built back up.

A friend let me know there's 5 role quests in endwalker instead of 4 so I've started leveling dragoon to cover melee dps so now I have one of all 5. Positionals suck. Also only leveling it up through alliance and msq roulette for mog tomes. People seem extra salty lately about running crystal tower.

Red Alphinaud is the best. Such a better character compared to blue Alphinaud. The reunion with Estinien was hilarious.

Vord fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 13, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The period where she's more about one-upping Alphinaud more than anything else is kind of grating, yes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oops. I meant to say SHB not EW.

This is slightly more understandable, though I've always liked her even from the start.

Funky Valentine posted:

The period where she's more about one-upping Alphinaud more than anything else is kind of grating, yes.

Alphinaud deserves it tbh.

Vord posted:

Positionals suck.

They do. I'm always forgetting which abilities use them and honestly I don't understand why they still exist at all.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
wow, a south park AND simpsons reference all in one? however do you do it FF14 devs

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the expansions up until shadowbringers-ish are basically a chronicle of michael-christopher koji fox going mad with power

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

There are so many Simpsons references and they're all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
does HW have a huge post game to get to the next expansion or no? just curious because I'm already level 66 in HW lol