Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The use case is that it's fun to ride a little idiot clown bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I moved away from my old "walkable" neighborhood between two four lane 55mph stroads to a neighborhood without any highways going through it and the difference is night and day, I can ride my little gay clown bike all over the place here because no one expects to go 55mph here. I feel way safer about riding my utility bike instead of waiting until the weekends to ride my spandex bike. There's a school zone thirty feet from my house so people don't even speed by during most of the year. It rules

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dog Case posted:

You don't even have to have a use case for a dumb little bike. The use case is that it's fun to look stupid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The use case is that it's fun to ride a little idiot clown bike

:hai:

Unironically digging the vibe here in the commuter bicycle thread.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if you call a foldie not a real bike you are 100% telling on yourself for being a shithead

using expats as a pejorative certainly doesnt help either

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I got my Bike Friday New World Tourist folder to replace a heavy touring bike I had custom made for me when I lived in Seattle (the frame broke in half, RIP). Here are the main differences:

• The folder has a lot more give in the handlebars
  • The folder is just a hair bumpier
  • The folder is a little trickier to lock up
  • The folder fits into trunks

That's really all there is. All were things I adjusted to in under a day.

I used the NWT as my main bike until I got this IKEA thing which has a belt drive and braze ons for a Dutch frame lock. I was getting worried about rust on the folder sitting outside year-round, gotta protect that sweet bike. Now that I travel a lot, I'm riding the NWT way more, and I'm wondering if I should go back to using it as my main ride. It's a sweet little bike!

One day I hope I can test ride other folding bikes that made different compromises for better folding. There's a lady in town who rides this absolutely hilarious looking bike with like 8" wheels: it looks like a fun ride and probably packs into a briefcase.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dog Case posted:

You don't even have to have a use case for a dumb little bike. The use case is that it's fun to look stupid. You can even have one that doesn't fold up if you want

how is it? waiting for them to come back into stock

https://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Entropist posted:

I have no idea what would ever be my use case for one. Around my city I just use a real bike and if I take the train to another place I get a public transport bike for a few euro per 24h. If you see someone here riding around on one of those tiny clown bikes it's probably a recently arrived expat who hasn't figured the local infrastructure out yet.

Europe is wasted on you, man.

Use case is being able to take a train to Brussels/Hamburg/London/Paris/Zurich and not having to depend on heavy-rear end city bikes when you arrive.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

using expats as a pejorative certainly doesnt help either
I wish more people used it as a pejorative. The proper terminology for these people is "immigrant" but they do not want to call themselves that because that word is usually associated with lower-class people and because racism.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Use case is being able to take a train to Brussels/Hamburg/London/Paris/Zurich and not having to depend on heavy-rear end city bikes when you arrive.
Heavy-rear end city bikes are the perfect practical mode of transportation though so I'm good!

you keep one in your closet so you can trick your mates into going on bike expeditions with you
They can borrow one of my other 5 rusty city bikes!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Oh and the s-bahn or u-bahn only let you bring a bike on if it's got 20" wheels or less, right? Multimodal is great.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Any excuse to post my hosed up folding bike

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Entropist posted:

I wish more people used it as a pejorative. The proper terminology for these people is "immigrant" but they do not want to call themselves that because that word is usually associated with lower-class people and because racism.
lmao calling white people living abroad immigrants (or economic migrants) never fails to get a laugh (from me, as they lose their minds)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Any excuse to post my hosed up folding bike

It folds in half, right? What happens to the seatpost tube?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cruft posted:

It folds in half, right? What happens to the seatpost tube?

This should illustrate the folding mechanism decently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126075194534

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

This should illustrate the folding mechanism decently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126075194534

Okay. Wow. So the seatpost is part of what keeps everything together.

That is a neato bicycle!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Indeed. I got rid of the QR stem as it sounded like a death trap. All the stock components were seemingly made out of lead, absurdly heavy

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SimonSays posted:

Oh and the s-bahn or u-bahn only let you bring a bike on if it's got 20" wheels or less, right? Multimodal is great.

Buses, too. Just got back from a holiday in the Alps and there are not many city bikes in sleepy mountain villages.

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao calling white people living abroad immigrants (or economic migrants) never fails to get a laugh (from me, as they lose their minds)

They've always got this erudite image of themselves that drives me nuts. It also betrays a cluelessness about how quickly things can go wrong as an immigrant on a visa. Being white/having a 'good' accent isn't gonna help you.

In the UK this cluenesses extends to English people themselves. They'll go on about how important it is to attract highly educated expats to grow their economy while simultaneously making immigration policy extremely hostile because immigrants are evil.

Apr 7, 2003

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Buses, too. Just got back from a holiday in the Alps and there are not many city bikes in sleepy mountain villages.

They've always got this erudite image of themselves that drives me nuts. It also betrays a cluelessness about how quickly things can go wrong as an immigrant on a visa. Being white/having a 'good' accent isn't gonna help you.

Wish I could find a post I saw from a few weeks ago from a white lady in Japan who got deported for breaking the law (taking and posting creepshots of people on public transit) and wrote a 40 tweet screed about how injust it was

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wish I could find a post I saw from a few weeks ago from a white lady in Japan who got deported for breaking the law (taking and posting creepshots of people on public transit) and wrote a 40 tweet screed about how injust it was

getting deported from Japan for taking creepshots on public transit is like being deported from America for unlawfully carrying a firearm

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm gonna die on this hill, because of the number of times I've had people from traditional immigrant-source countries flip their poo poo on me when I call myself -- an American who'd moved to Sweden multiple decades ago -- "an immigrant."

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they both sound weird probably because they are very broad labels loaded with connotations

found a very interesting used foldie but those french bikes can be fucky

it'd be pretty dumb to pay more than like $150 for it unless you are very hot for vintage Peugeot

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 13, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SimonSays posted:

Sram ate up Sachs and shitcanned the IGH division as fast as they could and now there's Shimano or SR-Sturmey, and trust me you don't want Sturmey, while Shimano is quite good but not as minimalistic and elegant as the old Sachs designs.
Ok?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

they both sound weird probably because they are very broad labels loaded with connotations

found a very interesting used foldie but those french bikes can be fucky

it'd be pretty dumb to pay more than like $150 for it unless you are very hot for vintage Peugeot

That looks like it's in good shape and has all the neat racks and fenders and everything.

A friend gave me a similar one that was all stripped down and had a Sturmey hub that was all jammed up somehow. I cleaned it up really well and threw a $20 coaster brake wheel on it and eventually sold it at a bike swap.
The ride quality isn't quite in the "cantankerous contraption" area like an old Dahon, but they're definitely in the "this is fun but a little bit scary" area with how flexy the frame and weak the original brakes are.
I still have the hub somewhere but I never got around to pulling it apart to see what it's problem was

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/SwannMarcus89/status/1694233478198448510

Apr 7, 2003

that rules

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Does this mean that Japanese camera collectors are another type of pervert

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
God, this just makes me love Japan more.

Traveling there made me so loving angry. All of the train, pedestrian, and bicycle infrastructure there is so loving good. I know my view is very much rose-colored as a tourist, but goddamn do I want their subway system in Seattle.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dog Case posted:

You don't even have to have a use case for a dumb little bike. The use case is that it's fun to look stupid. You can even have one that doesn't fold up if you want

LOVE THIS

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dog Case posted:

Does this mean that Japanese camera collectors are another type of pervert
I mean yes but that's all camera collectors.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

how is it? waiting for them to come back into stock

https://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm

It's pretty nice. The brake levers were the only thing that really needed to go, they were like a cheap noname knockoff of Tektro aero levers that flexed a bunch and somehow added resistance despite the pivot being the only moving part

Other than that the stock stem and bars were a little flexy and the tires were heavy. Everything else is cheap but functional and works well. The new price sucks though. They were $100 cheaper when I got mine a year ago

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I’ve been riding Kona Rove for the last couple years and realized that I have never voluntarily moved off the big ring in the front. The only time the chain has ever been on the small ring was when a bike shop handed it back to me that way.

Today the bike was making a weird sound and it turned out to be the front derailleur rubbing against the chain. Is there any downside to just removing the front derailleur completely if I never use it?

I can always adjust or bend the gently caress out of it to stop the contact, but I realized I have no idea if the front derailleur serves another purpose.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Even if you're never shifting the derailleur is still helping keep the chain from jumping off the ring. You'll probably want to get a narrow-wide chainring or find a chain guide if you take it off.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Hello thread! Glad I found the right one for my question.

Looking to buy my first bike in forever. I live near a long paved trail that's great for walking but I want to bike to places and generally get around without a car. I'm not really looking at road biking; I'd rather go up and down the trail (it's huge tbh) and generally get out more with exercise on the weekends, especially now that fall is here. I'm not looking to be a speedster or compete; I have other things I can compete in. I just want to bike and feel the wind in my face and get more active.

I've been looking at the FX series of bikes, specifically the FX2 and 3. I did a test ride of the 3 in the parking lot and it felt wonderful, though I hear the 2 is comparable.

What would y'all recommend? Or is there another bike that you may recommend for basically commuter riding? I was considering one of the FX series but I trust y'all may have better opinions on it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

secular woods sex posted:

I’ve been riding Kona Rove for the last couple years and realized that I have never voluntarily moved off the big ring in the front. The only time the chain has ever been on the small ring was when a bike shop handed it back to me that way.

Today the bike was making a weird sound and it turned out to be the front derailleur rubbing against the chain. Is there any downside to just removing the front derailleur completely if I never use it?

I can always adjust or bend the gently caress out of it to stop the contact, but I realized I have no idea if the front derailleur serves another purpose.

I mean you can either do something silly like take the front derailleur off or you can watch a 10 minute long YouTube video on how to adjust a front derailleur.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 14, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm not really looking at road biking; I'd rather go up and down the trail (it's huge tbh)

I've been looking at the FX series of bikes, specifically the FX2 and 3. I did a test ride of the 3 in the parking lot and it felt wonderful, though I hear the 2 is comparable.

Either one will serve you well. I'm seeing a $300 price diff between the 2 and the 3.
For that, you get:
Carbon fork instead of alloy. Trek is on thing big kick to use alu on their forks for some reason. I trust them in terms of durability, but it might be a bit harsher feeling. Trek does compensate by giving you:

smaller tires. Slightly odd that they would vary tire width between these trims, but the 2 has a squishier 35mm tire, which should offset the fork a bit.

1 x 10 gearing instead of 2 x 9. This is probably the biggest difference in day to day experience. 10 speeds is enough for a good majority of people, and 9 speeds (at least set up here) will be very similar gearing except for one caveat -- having to shift between the big and small rings. Here's a graph representing the relative speed along the ground you get in each gear when pedaling at a constant rpm (links to the viz tool):

2x9 is on the top. Note the near exact matchup in output speeds in the middle of the gear range. This means if you're crusining along at slow to moderate speeds (8-14mph) , you would end up using equivalent gears in the small ring or the big ring. Some setups will interleave the gear ratios, so you have a finer spread of gearing to use, at the hassle of switching back and forth.
Compared to the 1 x 10 setup, you actually have more gears in that 8-14mph range.

I don't think shifting a 2x is that challenging, and it's second nature once you do it for a while, but it is ever so slightly more operating effort.

different brakes, but I don't think this is a huge deal.

e: you could also look at the pretty similar Kona Dew Plus and Dew Deluxe. The Plus spec is a little worse than the FX3, but $170 cheaper.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 14, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

I mean you can either do something silly like take the front derailleur off or you can watch a 10 minute long YouTube video on how to adjust a front derailleur.

Or most likely, just stop cross chaining - that’s what I infer from ‘never use the little chainring’.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

e: you could also look at the pretty similar Kona Dew Plus and Dew Deluxe. The Plus spec is a little worse than the FX3, but $170 cheaper.
I think the dew plus looks way cooler, and $170 allows you to put a pair of monster brakes on it and have it be ready for anything that doesn't require suspension to be rideable.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Trek can be huge shitters to anyone not selling their product.. and even then. Any excuse to avoid them is a good one.

But their bikes and their lineup are pretty great

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Or most likely, just stop cross chaining - that’s what I infer from ‘never use the little chainring’.

There shouldn’t be rub even when cross-chained if the FD has trim…he just has to know how to use it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

secular woods sex posted:

protip: your left shifter moves the front derailleur... try moving it with the shifter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I wish they'd make hybrid bikes 1x by default. People who aren't bicycle nerds don't ever seem to want to use their front derailleur at all