Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tracker time!

Y/O: Kirishima: 9-6, 10 pts +1kk
S/K: Kotonowaka: 9-6, 10 pts +1kk
M1-5: Meisei: 7-8, 6.5 pts -0.5 mk
M6-10: Endo: 9-6, 10 pts +1kk
M11+: Atamifuji: 11-4, 16 pts +1kk +2 jun-yusho +2 kanto-sho

Total: 45-30, 52.5 pts

Day 15: Kadoban status gone baby

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The Sumo Prime Time livestream was worth it just to hear Hiro get hyped during Kotonowaka-Asanoyama.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Couldn't be happier with the draft. Thanks Kenning!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 2: HOLY poo poo, HOKUTOFUJI IS FIRED UP

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fearless posted:

THE OZEKI HUNTER

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Is there a simple way to find out how all rikishi from a beya faired?

I want to lazily know how the Futagoyama beya are going (ie https://www.youtube.com/@futagoyama-sumofood)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I had an absolute blast going to watch the tournament live today!

I drug some friends who had no exposure to sumo with me and they also had fun.

Recommend!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

homercles posted:

Is there a simple way to find out how all rikishi from a beya faired?

I want to lazily know how the Futagoyama beya are going (ie https://www.youtube.com/@futagoyama-sumofood)

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=202309&heya=14&shusshin=-1

sumodb > Banzuke and there's a dropdown to restrict by heya.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tokushoryu intai.

Never forget, 1/26/2020!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

Tokushoryu intai.

Never forget, 1/26/2020!

Him winning that title is one of my favourite sumo moments.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

He'll still be hanging around as Sendagawa-Oyakata, but I am sad to see him go. His yusho will always be my favorite.

Watching SPT's livestream. Good start, but they need to add the background audio from the stadium to help with the dead air on the mic, and Hiro could potentially use someone to bounce off of during downtime between matches. Otherwise it's pretty great and just needs some extra polish.

(hire me, I can polish the stream)

https://twitter.com/tochinoshin/status/1701169136079102125

Bentai fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 11, 2023

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

Tokushoryu intai.

Never forget, 1/26/2020!

crazy basho to watch at the time. you made me check out the result and it was good to remember a lot of the other mid-lower makkuchi guys who have retired since then as well.

does anyone know what happened to this dude? he wasn't even in sumo 2 full years at that point and had reached his highest career level of j3. had three straight mks and retired. i wasn't really paying attention to lower ranks aside from terunofuji, does anyoe remember a specific injury?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

crazy basho to watch at the time. you made me check out the result and it was good to remember a lot of the other mid-lower makkuchi guys who have retired since then as well.

does anyone know what happened to this dude? he wasn't even in sumo 2 full years at that point and had reached his highest career level of j3. had three straight mks and retired. i wasn't really paying attention to lower ranks aside from terunofuji, does anyoe remember a specific injury?

https://sumowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Kizakiumi_Shinnosuke posted:

This promoted him to a career-best juryo 3. Kizakiumi struggled immensely in this tournament. On the sixth day, Kizakiumi wrestled his one and only makuuchi match against maegashira-ranked wrestler Ikioi. In the match, Ikioi pushed Kizakiumi and he accidentally fell over the dohyo and landed straight on his head, thus injuring his neck. Kizakiumi slayed on the floor for around a minute, before wakaimonogashira Tochinofuji came out to help him up. A wheelchair was also brought out, but it wasn't used.

After the scare, Kizakiumi continued to participate in the tournament and finished with a disastrous 3-12 record. The following two tournaments Kizakiumi produced two make-koshi records and was demoted to the bottom of juryo.

Retirement from Sumo

On August 27, 2020, Kizakiumi suddenly announced his retirement from sumo. He cited his chronic neck pains were aggravated after the incident previously mentioned. His stablemaster stated that Kizakiumi was very "strong" when announcing his decision to retire. This came as a shock to the sumo world, because Kizakiumi was still ranked in juryo and he was in sumo for a little over two years. However, many sumo analysts supported Kizakiumi's proactive decision to not aggravate a potentially life threatening injury.

After retirement, Kizakiumi returned back to his hometown to treat his chronic neck pains. Due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kizakiumi never had a retirement ceremony date set and it was eventually cancelled all together. On February 29, 2021, he started a YouTube channel called "Shinnosuke" (しんのすけ). He is currently interested in video editing and film production.

:(

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oh god i remember that but didn't connect the name

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Nativity In Black posted:

I had an absolute blast going to watch the tournament live today!

I drug some friends who had no exposure to sumo with me and they also had fun.

Recommend!

sumo is a highly watchable sport and people don't even know. glad you spread the good word.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
time to trade!

i want to trade away Aoyama and pick up Mitakeumi

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Fearless posted:

He's gonna do it

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

heh on that note

trade request for day 3

Shodai > 1:Hokutofuji 2: Meisei

they cant both be full i think

Endo > Kotoeko

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

One of the Midnight Sumo regulars made this goofy intro video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqrfq9gFSR8

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Dare I say it...

HOKUTOYUSHO LETS GOOOOOOO!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

HOKUTOFUJI!!!!! drat he made the ozeki look like underweight kids

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Sorry Tree... ain't feeling it

Starting Day 4, I'd like to trade Hokuseiho for Mitakeumi or if he's full up, Atamifuji.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

time to trade!

i want to trade away Aoyama and pick up Mitakeumi

Trade registered Day 3.

Boogalo posted:

heh on that note

trade request for day 3

Shodai > 1:Hokutofuji 2: Meisei

they cant both be full i think

Endo > Kotoeko

Shodai -> Hokutofuji registered day 3. Endo -> Kotoeko registered day 4.

FART BOSS posted:

Sorry Tree... ain't feeling it

Starting Day 4, I'd like to trade Hokuseiho for Mitakeumi or if he's full up, Atamifuji.

Trade registered day 4 for Mitakeumi. Atamifuji is actually full up, as was Hokuseiho until your trade.

Looking very chaotic this basho, I'm enjoying it. Overall quality of sumo is good, and at this moment I genuinely have no idea who is a yusho favorite.

Day 3 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
11	captainblastum
11	Thauros
11	Tiny Bug Child
10	Brut
9	Banana Canada
9	bartolimu
9	pseudodragon
9	Robviously
9	Teddybear
9	whats for dinner
8	anakha
8	bessantj
8	Communist Thoughts
8	Kenning
8	Khizan
8	Kuros
8	MyChemicalImbalance
8	Pakled
7	Crusty Nutsack
7	Helianthus Annuus
7	Ice Phisherman
7	Iron Chef Nex
7	Jobbo_Fett
7	Mode 7
7	Vargatron
6	Chinook
6	Marching Powder
6	NuclearPotato
6	Saturnine Aberrance
5	Akiosan
5	Charles Gnarwin
5	LlamaTrauma
4	Fluffdaddy
4	GoatSeeGuy
Juryo
code:
11	Beexoffel
11	Lid
11	ullerrm
10	Eldoop
9	Average Lettuce
9	Ben Nerevarine
9	Liquid Communism
8	FART BOSS
8	Fearless
8	NTRabbit
8	oldskool
8	PJ
8	QuasiQuack
8	The Postman
7	Flinger
7	Medenmath
7	Samuel L. Hacksaw
7	Xerzes
6	Bentai
6	Dead Goon
6	Log082
6	Nativity In Black
6	ratmosphere
6	Single Tight Female
6	Takuan
5	Boogalo
5	ImplicitAssembler

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Can I trade Endo for Onosho (or, if he's unavailable and let me know if he is, Kinbozan)?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You got Onosho!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'd like to trade Midorifuji for Onosho or Kinbozan and also Hokuseiho for Atamifuji or Mitakeumi if possible!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Was there a Goonzuke after last basho?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh God I wrote a goonzuke post but I guess I didn't post it. Hopefully it's still on an active tab when I get home lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kenning posted:

Oh God I wrote a goonzuke post but I guess I didn't post it. Hopefully it's still on an active tab when I get home lol

Good I wanted to see if I'm actually sanyaku because it looks like I'm about to drop a rung or two lol

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Good to see no matter how I train, I am still in the bottom rungs of goon-ryo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Good I wanted to see if I'm actually sanyaku because it looks like I'm about to drop a rung or two lol

I had to do some serious tab archaeology, but I found the post that I meant to make like 8 hours ago.

Goonzuke finally out! I need to do the goonzuke before I can do the daily results, since I need to know who's in what division, which is partly why this took so long. Daily results will come in an hour two two once I catch up with days 1-3.

code:
		    Aki 2023	

Ozeki	
Thauros			1	Banana Canada
Tiny Bug Child		2	anakha

Sekiwake	
Khizan			1	GoatSeeGuy
MyChemicalImbalance	2	NuclearPotato

Komusubi	
Eli949			1	Vargatron
Marching Powder		2	Kenning

Maegashira	
EveryonesFavoritePoster	1	Ice Phisherman
Akiosan			2	Saturnine Aberrance
Teddybear		3	Brut
pseudodragon		4	Mode 7
Iron Chef Nex		5	Netsky
Crusty Nutsack		6	Fluffdaddy
Pakled			7	Charles Gnarwin
Helianthus Annuus	8	Skjorte
MalarkeyToboggan	9	Kuros
Tochiazuma		10	Jobbo_Fett
Robviously		11	captainblastum
LlamaTrauma		12	bartolimu
whats for dinner	13	Communist Thoughts
Chinook			14	rare Magic card l00k
bessantj		15	scripterror

Juryo	

Ben Nerevarine		1	Average Lettuce
Gaghskull		2	Single Tight Female
Lid			3	Samuel L. Hacksaw
Xerzes			4	Nativity In Black
Fearless		5	FART BOSS
Boogalo			6	Bentai
Dead Goon		7	NTRabbit
do it on my face	8	Liquid Communism
ratmosphere		9	PJ
QuasiQuack		10	Eldoop
Octatonic		11	Log082
Takuan			12	oldskool
Medenmath		13	ImplicitAssembler
Beexoffel		14	sivad
Elissimpark		15	Flinger
Biosys			16	jmzero
ullerrm			17	riderchop
Pvt. Public		18	ilmucche
Neodoomium		19	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
John McClane		20	Spokes
Winter Stormer		21	
This was a particularly knotty goonzuke, so some people got really big moves and some barely moved at all. I don't think anyone in maegashira got promoted on a losing record, but I can't really say 100% for sure. Incidentally, I thought up a way more complicated way to make fantasy more like actual sumo, but it would involve drawing up a daily torikumi and all sorts of nonsense, so we're gonna just leave that in the old imagination for now.

For the first time ever, all 4 of our ozeki are kadoban, so depending on the results of this tournament we could see some major shuffling up top. With a string of modest wins each, Khizan and GoatSeeGuy are on modest ozeki runs. Either one would get promoted after Aki with a top 3 score, or after Kyushu if they keep up the consistency at a lower level. Then again, if we lose a mess of ozeki they might get the nod sooner. NuclearPotato and MyChemicalImbalance have jumped up to sekiwake, while Ice Phisherman is the first of the slightly hard droppers, falling out of san'yaku entirely on a moderate losing record. Marching Powder and Kenning pop into komusubi to fill in, while kyujo MalarkeyToboggan plummets to M9e.

An interesting note is the case of Skortje, who will be absent for their 4th basho. Normally this would mean they go banzuke-gai, but because they started their string of absences at ozeki (quite unusual), they were still in san'yaku last basho. I've decided to keep them on the card until they drop into juryo, and from now on you can only go banzuke-gai from juryo.

Most of the rest of the movement doesn't bear mentioning, other than makuuchi yusho winner Brut jumping to M3w from M14w, and LlamaTrauma only dropping from M8w to M12e despite an abysmal showing in Nagoya. On the makuuchi-juryo exchange barge we have juryo yusho winner Crusty Nutsack making it all the way to M6e, while Chinook and rare magic card l00K taking either side of M14. In exchange, Lid, Liquid Communism, and do it on my face will be dropping down into division 2.

Thanks for your patience everyone, now to get caught up on the bouts I've missed over the last couple days!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'd like to trade Midorifuji for Onosho or Kinbozan and also Hokuseiho for Atamifuji or Mitakeumi if possible!

You get Onosho for Day 4! You don't have Hokuseiho, you have Kagayaki, but I can give you Mitakeumi for Day 5 if you like.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 13, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kenning posted:

You get Onosho for Day 4! You don't have Hokuseiho, you have Kagayaki, but I can give you Mitakeumi for Day 5 if you like.

Yeah I'll take that for day 5, Thanks Kenning!

Too many fantasy leagues, lol.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thrilled to see I'm making one last appearance in the low maegashira ranks before this honbasho's performance has me deeply consider the advice of my elders and open up a Meat Land franchise.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

shodai. lol what the hell was that hoshoryu?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

whats for dinner posted:

lol what the hell was that hoshoryu?

Shodai

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

whats for dinner posted:

shodai. lol what the hell was that hoshoryu?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Looks like they finally got to nattosumo :(
Is there any alternative that is as highly condensed and with the same level of information before each bout?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Natto's videos are still being uploaded to other, non-natto accounts. You can essential search for nattosumo each day and find where they're currently being put up (with added musical bits/replayed footage at the end to dodge copyright algorithms I assume)
Here's today's makuuchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM5-rnTA-B4

You can also keep up with the latest NHK cat and mouse happenings on the Natto discord
https://discord.gg/nattosumo

(I'm never on discord myself, but it's a very active one)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Huh weird, if I search for Natto Sumo, none of that comes up, if I search for Nattosumo, it all does, even though the words in the title are "Natto Sumo" with the space :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I can watch live coverage of the entire days bouts on both YouTube and Twitch.

I hesitate to post names as I do not wish them to be taken down.