Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not moving from a spot someone wanted to propose on?

quote:

One of my hobbies is to go hiking and eat a very large meal while sitting down. Basically a picnic for myself. I bring a blanket and anything else I might need for an hour-long experience.

This past Monday I was up at a new area I’d never been to. I brought my large meal with me and set up on a very gorgeous area with a great view of the lake. I was about 5 minutes into my ritual when this guy with a camera comes and tells me that a couple was coming up to do a proposal on this very spot and asked me to move.

I told him no that I barely got set up and I was in the middle of my meal. He gets annoyed and just asks again but I tell him now. A few minutes later the photographer returns with the guy who was going to propose. The guy proposing asks me this time and I just tell him no, that he can wait. He asks me wtf is wrong with me and I just tell him that I am eating my meal. He starts telling at me to gtfo but I put on my headphones and just continue eating. After a while he leaves me alone.

After I felt satisfied from the meal I packed up and was heading down. The three were waiting at another spot and the men point me out and the lady starts yelling at me that I ruined her day and that the proposal happened elsewhere instead of the spot I was in. I just smiled and said congrats on your proposal and kept walking.

When I got back home this came up and I told my boyfriend about it. He straight up said it was an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

i too am a hobbyist of eating a large meal while sitting down.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's a weird hobby but if your proposal has to be at an exact time and place then maybe pick one you can reserve in advance and not a public area

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
not at all really surprised that reddit came out to dump hate on this person, calling them jealous that their own boyfriend had not proposed (????)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

just stealing 20 tonnes of cyanide nothing to see here

Oh no reason just thought it might come in handy some day.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Be a mensch and let the couple have their moment.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I would like to see the giant picnic spread

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

That's a weird hobby but if your proposal has to be at an exact time and place then maybe pick one you can reserve in advance and not a public area

Or just be cool with people existing in public spaces, plenty of people do proposals in the middle of parks etc. without expecting everybody to clear out for them.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

FMguru posted:

I was trying to imagine what you could pick up a truckload of at a logistics terminal and have it be worth $1 million. Laptops? Smartphones? Playstations? Designer handbags?

Around the turn of the century, I worked in a warehouse that shipped to a regional store chain. It had a little bit of everything you would find in a general store. I assume theft OP is somewhere similar, maybe like a Target-type place but smaller?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not moving from a spot someone wanted to propose on?

i too am a hobbyist of eating a large meal while sitting down.

gently caress yeah, OP out here striking another blow against Big Wedding and their army of brain worms. They may have been a bit rude, but that's nothing compared to the massive sense of entitlement that comes with trying to evict someone from a public use space so you can take performative photos for social media clout/to make your spinster sibling jealous. It reminds me of people who give you poo poo for "walking through their shot" at the gym while they record: the world does not start and stop at your convenience and other humans are not NPCs in your game. Enjoy your picnic, girl.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

the holy poopacy posted:

Or just be cool with people existing in public spaces, plenty of people do proposals in the middle of parks etc. without expecting everybody to clear out for them.

Case in point:

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/couple-encounters-black-metal-band-woods-engagement-shoot/story?id=42938480

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm sorry OP, you acted slightly smug to the people who were trying to inconvenience you out of their own sense of entitlement, and for that you are the true villain

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Modal Auxiliary posted:

gently caress yeah, OP out here striking another blow against Big Wedding and their army of brain worms. They may have been a bit rude, but that's nothing compared to the massive sense of entitlement that comes with trying to evict someone from a public use space so you can take performative photos for social media clout/to make your spinster sibling jealous. It reminds me of people who give you poo poo for "walking through their shot" at the gym while they record: the world does not start and stop at your convenience and other humans are not NPCs in your game. Enjoy your picnic, girl.

but what if the picnic gourmand is also Producing Content?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Like, what was their plan if e.g. the picnic was part of some other couple's proposal or other romantic event rather than just a lone hiker? Yeah, I know this thread is notorious for people throwing out ridiculous hypotheticals that completely change the context, but I'm not sure that it really does change the context. Why is she less worthy of the space because she's just having a good time doing her own thing?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

but what if the picnic gourmand is also Producing Content?

She produced some great content for us by having a backbone, that's for sure.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Picnic OP is NTA and reddit is insane for thinking otherwise.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Picnic hiker really missed out on the chance to get invited to the wedding dinner.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Picnic OP is NTA and reddit is insane for thinking otherwise.

Nah, the original post reeks of missing reasons.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yes, someone who is very clearly not an rear end in a top hat can become one when you decide to invent missing reasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anything to stymy the efforts of the dark art of photography is good in my book.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

See, this is what the couple should've done. Struck up a conversation with picnic lady and see if she had some beans or a sub to share.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Nah, it is simply that they expected because she was a woman by herself, that they expected her to avoid confrontation and instead to go along to get along. Picnic lady did nothing wrong.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

Like, what was their plan if e.g. the picnic was part of some other couple's proposal or other romantic event rather than just a lone hiker? Yeah, I know this thread is notorious for people throwing out ridiculous hypotheticals that completely change the context, but I'm not sure that it really does change the context. Why is she less worthy of the space because she's just having a good time doing her own thing?

They’re the main characters…. Why would there be anyone else in the story?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

She was eating a cake made from 12 slices of frozen year old wedding cake from couples that divorced early and seeing that on your proposal is a bad omen.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Picnic lady should have stuck out her chest, roared, and bared her teeth to show her dominance.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The proposal people were being super rude after the fact, but it also would have cost picnic op nothing if they moved and let people have their stupid little moment.

AITAH for being upset with my GF for placing a literal spy camera in my house because she thinks I have a “Dungeon”

quote:

Firstly: the room isn’t that important imo, this is more about her invading my privacy.

There is a room in my basement that is soundproofed and locks from the outside. It was here when I bought the place. I obviously didn’t add any of the soundproofing and the door already had the exterior locks and food pass through thing when I first came here.

Inside the room is a desk with a container of pencils and pens (there’s also a bed and a microwave+fridge: I use it to isolate myself when I want to finish a ton of work over a few days without any distractions). Eventually I realized that one of the pens wasn’t one I placed there. I inspected it further and did some research and found out it was an $130 voice activated spycam! The only person who would have access to my basement is my girlfriend. Thankfully I think she planted it 1-2 weeks ago so she didn’t actually record me going in there at all, but that was certainly her intent.

I confronted my girlfriend about it and she tried to make me the bad guy for her spying on me. She said my explanation was shady and why would I still have the lock on the outside after 4 years of owning the place if it was just here when I got it. She said having a “dungeon” with a bed is a major red flag and literally anyone would investigate further than whatever I say about it.

Regardless of the room, she’s clearly in the wrong here for outright spying on me, right?

"My 'I'm not doing anything illegal in my dungeon' shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DemoneeHo posted:

The proposal people were being super rude after the fact, but it also would have cost picnic op nothing if they moved and let people have their stupid little moment.

I thought of it as kind of a sliding scale of convenience, like, if I'm just chilling on a park bench and they ask me to move, sure. Got my large meal set up and I'm in the middle of enjoying it? Maybe not so much.

And fundamentally:

haveblue posted:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

DemoneeHo posted:

I really want to know how the photographer worded his original request for her to move. Because if it was rude, I'm sure we would have been told that. And if it were a "Um, hey, hi, I've got a couple coming and I'm sorry to ask, but...", then, yeah, she has a right to refuse, but it still makes her an rear end in a top hat.

haveblue posted:

And that's another thing. Was this a surprise proposal or one being done just for the staged photo?

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 13, 2023

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
If it went down as OP told it, they are fine and not really an rear end in a top hat as much as just a little rude. But any story that involves OP getting a perfectly timed parting shot at someone who was shockingly unreasonable while smugly walking away reeks of STDH.txt and makes me assume this either didn't happen or it is getting told differently than it went down.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It would also have cost the proposal couple nothing to gently caress off and do it elsewhere upon seeing their initial spot was occupied.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I would have asked for money to move. Weddings are expensive anyway, what's $500 to ruin someone's picnic?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

And that's another thing. Was this a surprise proposal or one being done just for the staged photo?

If they brought their own photographer it was definitely planned out

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It would also have cost the proposal couple nothing to gently caress off and do it elsewhere upon seeing their initial spot was occupied.

Yeah that's the other thing, why did it have to be now? It would have been so easy to have a civilized conversation about how long they expected to take and then the couple waits around for a bit. Did the sun have to be in the exact position for the ideal lighting or something?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

The proposal people were being super rude after the fact, but it also would have cost picnic op nothing if they moved and let people have their stupid little moment."

Along the same lines it cost the proposal people nothing if they moved and let OP have their picnic … which is exactly what they did.

If you don’t want strangers in your photographs, don’t take them in public places or learn to be patient.

Comedy option: Take the photos anyway, photoshop an awkwardly placed rock or tree over OP.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 13, 2023

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

AITAH for being upset with my GF for placing a literal spy camera in my house because she thinks I have a “Dungeon”

"My 'I'm not doing anything illegal in my dungeon' shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt."

For some reason, regardless of its veracity, this AITA post has made my stomach queasy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Let's be honest, judging by their reaction to a minor inconvenience getting engaged is not going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for either part of this couple, they'll have plenty of chances for the perfect photos.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm having a big laugh at this because the gfs response to the dungeon was "I don't trust this guy with a prison in his basement, but I think I'll stick around and spend over a hundred bucks spying on him instead of just, I dunno, not risking my life hanging around the person with a dungeon in his basement he could seal me in?"

Like, even if it is the harmless thing he presents it as or its some kind of bdsm kink thing he hasnt brought up, it's ok for her to gtfo out of there if it's existence makes her uncomfortable. She doesn't need to stick around and prove it's malicious first.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

the holy poopacy posted:

Let's be honest, judging by their reaction to a minor inconvenience getting engaged is not going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for either part of this couple, they'll have plenty of chances for the perfect photos.

Yeah if this is the reaction to another person not jumping when told, the first cap left off the toothpaste will be incandescent.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

haveblue posted:

If they brought their own photographer it was definitely planned out

If, say, it's a friend of the couple whom they are meeting for a day in the park, and he likes to take pictures of nature, I could still see it being a surprise. Especially considering the friend seems to have been sent in advance to scout the location.

But if it's planned, and you must have that spot and that lighting, yeah, claim the spot more than few minutes in advance.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 13, 2023

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate the idea of the perfect entirely planned and rehearsed proposal. Specially when both parties know its coming. Life isn't about creating the perfect insta photos. You don't need an over the top incredibly planned proposal, you don't need a 100k wedding, you don't need a gender reveal party. Society had educated you stupid.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

haveblue posted:

the holy poopacy posted:

yeah if you need something to basically be so specifically planned it's a performance, then you gotta reserve a space to have that level of control over it. just hoping the kindness of human beings will allow you to have a public space cleared out when you want it is a loving rookie planner move. People will not just move because it's your Special Day, no one gives a poo poo that you think you're the Main Character today. Proposal couple got exactly what they planned, in that they didn't actually plan out at all what they apparently considered the most important part, at all. To do that you need to make agreements with people to have solo access to the space. They just thought being there with a photographer would be enough lol

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 13, 2023

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mllaneza posted:

Nope! Amazingly enough, it's a blockchain-adjacent technology that enables it. Any third party in the supply chain can trace an individual dose from the bioreactor to the pharmacy without the pharma having to give out even read-only access to an internal system.
I was presuming the thieving trucker just moved stuff to the black market. Do the Hells Angels make sure to update their stash of Oxys and Xanys on the blockchain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I assume "blockchain-adjacent technology" just means "a database visible to the public with cryptographic verification of its contents"