Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

That Little Demon posted:

does HW have a huge post game to get to the next expansion or no? just curious because I'm already level 66 in HW lol

The MSQ will hugely overlevel you for the content it throws at you, even if you do that and nothing else. If that bothers you, you can always pick up a new job for each new expansion and start at wherever the expansion's starting level is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

does HW have a huge post game to get to the next expansion or no? just curious because I'm already level 66 in HW lol

Nothing like the length of arr but there are still msq patches that were released between heavensward and Stormblood yeah. Over leveling is almost inevitable if you're just using one job.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every expansion has a series of quests after it before the next expac but they all have actual stuff happening and are like 1/3rd as long as the arr stuff.

if you just stick to one job through the msq you'll probably hit cap (90) sometime in mid-shadowbringers. even earlier if you do roulettes and stuff. exp gain seems balanced around you checking out a couple different jobs.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
The post ARR slog is the worst part of the game. All the patch content in the expansions is worlds better from what I've seen so far.

Also yeah maybe start leveling another job. I recommend machinist because The Gun is Good. And it starts at level 30

Vord fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 13, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

There is a lot of content between the end of 3.0 and 3.55, yes. It's not as much as ARR, though, but it's all really good.

As far as leveling, yes, the game will massively overlevel you if you're doing everything on one job. Try to split off into multiples as much as you can. Just doing main story in Endwalker, for example, I took two level 80 jobs to 90. If you do everything on one job only, you'll likely be level 90 before you get to Endwalker.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear you can just stick to one job if you want, leveling another job doesnt take that long even without msq.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I really don’t care to level other jobs since exp flows like wine and seems insanely easy to level up but maybe once I hit 90. I don’t care for tanking or dps at all

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Also Demon Tome is a cool looking boss

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Post-HW/60 optionals are two raid series(Three? Are the Triad post-60? Probably), a Hildibrand, a Hildibrand side story(you get drip and a pushing up your glasses emote), an entire crafting bonanza you can skip until whenever, some hard mode dungeon remixes.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I really don’t care to level other jobs since exp flows like wine and seems insanely easy to level up but maybe once I hit 90. I don’t care for tanking or dps at all

If you do get bored with white mage, Astrologian unlocks in Ishgard and starts at level 30 and it's a very active healer compared to WHM. Then when you hit 70 on WHM you can (I think) unlock Sage which starts at level 70. Assuming you own the expansions

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AST and SGE are both good as hell

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

johnny park posted:

If you do get bored with white mage, Astrologian unlocks in Ishgard and starts at level 30 and it's a very active healer compared to WHM. Then when you hit 70 on WHM you can (I think) unlock Sage which starts at level 70. Assuming you own the expansions

yeah I have everything

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

It's got a beefy postgame, yes, and it's probably the best part of an already great story so it's not gonna be a repeat of ARR's slog.

As someone with everything capped out XP only flows like wine right now because the MSQ is drowning you in it, and there's some genuinely very good story content later in the game locked behind having one of each role levelled. If you don't want to play a class then funneling MSQ XP to it is by far the best solution, there really aren't many alternatives that aren't incredibly slow.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's got a beefy postgame, yes, and it's probably the best part of an already great story so it's not gonna be a repeat of ARR's slog.

As someone with everything capped out XP only flows like wine right now because the MSQ is drowning you in it, and there's some genuinely very good story content later in the game locked behind having one of each role levelled. If you don't want to play a class then funneling MSQ XP to it is by far the best solution, there really aren't many alternatives that aren't incredibly slow.

dude I got 3 levels by accident just doing PVP for mog tomes so, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sage is a very love it or hate it job, you have to press more buttons than whm and its a bit more reactive, and it has shielding in its kit over just raw healing. if that sounds fun to you check it out when you hit 70

edit: and yaeh lol even with just casual rouletting you can hit level 90 on a job in a couple weeks. if you really wanna grind it out you can do it in a few days. its not that big a deal to overcap msq exp lol. if someone wants to juggle two jobs as they go through the story id recommend it but if they dont want to it doesnt really matter.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The pew pew laser aesthetic of SGE does a lot of heavy lifting for me, to be fair.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SGE is so much fun but I feel bad every time I play it because I'm not very good at it and it's a lot harder to recover from mistakes versus playing WHM

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
it really takes me out of the game to switch classes and use things like fantasia to switch races because I feel less attached to my character when that happens

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

it really takes me out of the game to switch classes and use things like fantasia to switch races because I feel less attached to my character when that happens

Switching classes is normal and expected, using Fantasia less so. It's fine to be attached to a race and stick with it, branching out and trying other classes is a good thing though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres in universe reasons for job switching but yeah i do get it. being able to do everything on one character is convenient (definitely had the issue in WoW where i switched classes and missed stuff id done/unlocked on my previous character) but on the flipside having alts with their own sort of 'identities' for various classes was fun

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Relyssa posted:

Switching classes is normal and expected, using Fantasia less so. It's fine to be attached to a race and stick with it, branching out and trying other classes is a good thing though.

not really for me, it doesn't even make sense that I'm one of the only white mages in the world for the story lol

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Absolutely nothing in the game will punish you for just sticking to the one job if that's your preference, but you *will* massively over level the msq, especially if you're doing side content like pvp

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

not really for me, it doesn't even make sense that I'm one of the only white mages in the world for the story lol

I guess I'm more willing to go along with it coming from WoW where I had to make a new character and re-do everything to get current for every single class and it just did not do it for me. I really like being able to do everything on a single character.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Relyssa posted:

I guess I'm more willing to go along with it coming from WoW where I had to make a new character and re-do everything to get current for every single class and it just did not do it for me. I really like being able to do everything on a single character.

I like that concept too, but there was something fun about alts in WoW

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah even as someone who mostly plays girls in games when i can i definitely like the stereotype of just being a generic big beefy tank dude. but id basically never wanna be a dude in any other role so im not fantasiaing to a roe dude anytime soon. so thats just sort of locked off to me in 14. theres tradeoffs.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
also, you would have to be insane to make an alt in FF14 imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you skip every cutscene speedrunning the msq isnt that bad but theres a ton of side stuff youd have to redo too if you wanted to be at parity, lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fond memories of making an alt on the eu server to play with my friend and spending 12 hours confused about why i couldnt change my hairstyle

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Hard agree

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Also the seal rock song in frontlines sounds like it could be right out of SMT3

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I definitely very strongly identify my character with his job (ninja) and have exclusively done MSQ on that job only, but a lot of the other jobs in the game are just fun to play lol. That's why I level them

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Should try other classes and imagine you're a FF5/FFT/Job Swap Game protag and build up that cognitive dissonance, other classes are fun and most of the job stories are good. I'd regret not playing Sam job quests because "ah, but I'm ONLY a dragoon."

Other classes are fun especially in pvp with distinct flavors. Nothing hits the same as being an rear end in a top hat SCH and farming the entire enemy team for damage numbers, being a MNK/NIN and running around ruining peoples lives with near total impunity, going DEVIL OR ANGLE full aggro healer as SGE, being the always present and underestimated support God pumping damage as BRD or DNC(and for life or death adrenaline high LBs as DNC), or going full tank mode and carrying your entire team to better odds of victory one nail biting engagement at a time. One and done for pvp would be underselling your potential fun. You only need level 30 to experiment there too, full pvp kit unlock with the job stone.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's not that bad!

But it's not great.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The way I see it the WoL is (not in ARR, but by a few expansions later) the strongest warrior on the planet and you can embody that by basically mastering every martial art in existence, including a couple that would be illegal for anyone but you. So job switching is a core part of the game.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

FuturePastNow posted:

The way I see it the WoL is (not in ARR, but by a few expansions later) the strongest warrior on the planet and you can embody that by basically mastering every martial art in existence, including a couple that would be illegal for anyone but you. So job switching is a core part of the game.
And one of the greatest craftsmen on the planet, as well as one of the greatest fishers, miners and botanists.

You're basically The Most Interesting Man In The World.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Before Data Center Travel was implemented in 6.15 or so (like June 2022?), the only way to play with people on other data centers was to have another character there. I started on Primal in May 2019 and then some of my irl friends started playing on Aether a few months later so I started another character on their server and paid for story skip + job boost. Since I am insane, I also put a lot of time into that character: multiple jobs at level 90, lots of various pieces of content completed, savage clears, has a house.

Now that DC travel is a thing I mostly just move my Primal character around now. I still keep my Aether character up to date with quests and such but when they introduce new grindy content I probably won't do it on both characters anymore, just my Primal character.

edit: \/ They existed but my plan was to keep playing on Primal with goon friends and such too

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 13, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

iPodschun posted:

Before Data Center Travel was implemented in 6.15 or so (like June 2022?), the only way to play with people on other data centers was to have another character there. I started on Primal in May 2019 and then some of my irl friends started playing on Aether a few months later so I started another character on their server and paid for story skip + job boost. Since I am insane, I also put a lot of time into that character: multiple jobs at level 90, lots of various pieces of content completed, savage clears, has a house.

Now that DC travel is a thing I mostly just move my Primal character around now. I still keep my Aether character up to date with quests and such but when they introduce new grindy content I probably won't do it on both characters anymore, just my Primal character.

Server transfers didn’t exist?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Picayune posted:

Not related to Endwalker at all, but if you haven't done so, you should go back to Ishgard, go to the shopping area, find the NPC named Mathye, and do the lv. 56 quest called 'Keeping the Ledger'. Best done after doing the ARR Hildibrand quests.

Doing these quests now and never have I met a more unlikable group of characters. I'm willing to see this through to the end but I'd rather deal with the company of heroes again over dealing with these people.

Vord fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 13, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
TLD if you only like doing content on healer, then use MSQ/quests to level at least one tank and one of the various types of dps so you can do the role quests and their capstones later on. Continue to do dungeons/raids/pvp on your healer.

Also changing jobs on the fly is ingrained even into the game storyline. The generic hyur insert in cutscenes/promos started as an archer in 1.0, switched to war by the end of 1.X, was WAR in ARR and DRG in HW. NPCs even change jobs in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Server transfers didn’t exist?

They existed as a paid (and maybe occasionally free) service you could do to permanently move your character, but now if you go to the Aetherite in one of the three starting cities you can just jump to another server or data centre to visit and use their marketboard and whatever. There's some limitations, like you can't join an FC on another server that you're visiting, but you can totally pop over to see other servers houses or something or get something cheaper off another server's MB.

There are limits with visiting dater centres though, mostly that you can only visit data centres in the same physical building as yours I think. That mostly boils down to 'you can't visit other region's data centres', but I think there might be an east coast/west coast split for the US? So you might be limited in the DBs you can visit there

Veotax fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 13, 2023