Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lmao did they really

quote:

The lease treaty agreed to from February 16–23, 1903 stipulates that the Republic of Cuba lease to the United States specific lands in Cuba, notably the land that surrounds Guantánamo Bay, for the purpose of coaling and naval stations, for as long as necessary. The lease stipulates that the United States "shall exercise complete jurisdiction and control", while recognizing "the continuance of the ultimate sovereignty of the Republic of Cuba". Cuban vessels involved in trade will have free passage through the waters. The United States has the right to modify the waters as necessary.

Under the lease treaty signed on July 2, 1903, the U.S. must send $2,000 in gold as payment to the Cuban government each year. After the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 removed the U.S. gold standard, lease payments were unilaterally changed to a cardboard check backed by paper dollars. The payment due on July 2, 1974, was made by check in the amount $4,085. With inflation, $2,000 of 1903 dollars would have been worth about $4,085 in 1934 and would have further increased to over $52,000 by 2013; however the payment remains at $4,085. Since the Cuban Revolution, the Cuban government has cashed one of these checks, and only because of "confusion" in the early days of the revolution. The other checks, made out to "Treasurer General of the Republic", a position that has not existed since 1959, were once shown stuffed in a desk drawer in Castro's office during a television interview with him.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 21:56 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

By "cardboard check" do they mean like, a big novelty check, because I loving hope so

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DavidGriscom/status/1701631344881623369?t=glHEVOksLsnyxcnmak2BlQ&s=19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shame Boy posted:

By "cardboard check" do they mean like, a big novelty check, because I loving hope so

How do you even deliver it? We don't have relations so do once a year a guy shows up at Random Cuban embassy and if they let him in the deal is still good?
Do they put it in a giant envelope and once a year a painting-sized package shows up at Havana?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they send the publisher's clearing house guy on a motorboat and throw it onto the sand in the bay of pigs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

How do you even deliver it? We don't have relations so do once a year a guy shows up at Random Cuban embassy and if they let him in the deal is still good?
Do they put it in a giant envelope and once a year a painting-sized package shows up at Havana?

I assume they could just fold it into a giant paper airplane and toss it over gitmo's main gate

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

sir this isn’t the guillotine thread

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
edit: ok I see this was also posted in the guillotine thread :cool:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

They should have provided them from 9:11 till 11:09.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Centrist Committee posted:

sir this isn’t the guillotine thread

Every thread can be the guillotine thread if you're brave enough.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SplitSoul posted:

Every thread can be the guillotine thread if you're brave enough.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Could make a lot more if you just go all-in and become a Certified Cuddle Party Coordinator

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

tokin opposition posted:

Just eat their hairy rear end as an intimidation tactic, duh

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Things getting a little cool in Berkeley

quote:

Protest at landlord party devolves into physical fights

Physical fights erupted at a protest of the Berkeley Property Owners Association’s (BPOA) celebration of the end of the eviction moratorium on Tuesday.

About 100 advocates from the Tenant and Neighborhood Councils (TANC), Berkeley Tenants Union and other groups gathered outside the Freehouse Pub on Kittredge Street at around 5 p.m. to picket the private event, which was open only to members of the BPOA.

About an hour into the rally, the picketers entered the venue in a stream and began circling around the patio where the landlords were gathered inside the pub. Witnesses said the picketing went on for about a minute and a half before tensions flared and multiple fights broke out.

Witnesses said a male attendee of the BPOA event then slapped a female TANC member in the face and pushed her. Another video shows a protester knock eyeglasses off the head of someone who appears to be a party attendee. Another man who appears to be a party attendee then swings a punch at the protester.

BPOA President Krista Gulbransen said she didn’t witness who began the skirmish, but videos show Gulbransen being shoved when she stepped in to interrupt one physical altercation. She said she then stepped out to request the presence of the police, who had been observing the protest, but they refused to enter the pub.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good

edit: i mean, to be real someone should have maced that party, but its a start

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Sep 14, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I can’t type what I think should have happened without getting banned

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

One might think this; I couldn't possibly comment.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Oh yeah, well my honest opinions would bl get a perma

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

e: Wait misread nevermind

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We can't say erfurt latrine disaster?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We can't say erfurt latrine disaster?

Erfurt latrine disaster is the name of my future black metal band, dont steal

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

I just hope to see that article in a history book someday, under a header of "Early Indicators."

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
All it'll take is that exact scenario with some handguns mixed in. Not really an if but a when.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The local government reps denouncing all violence in their city lmao evictions and homelessness IS violence you fuckin arrgghhhhh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

The local government reps denouncing all violence in their city lmao evictions and homelessness IS violence you fuckin arrgghhhhh

Clearly the tenants are committing violence against the property by not paying and refusing to leave

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Clearly the tenants are committing violence against the property by not paying and refusing to leave

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1702450936348660152

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I somehow doubt a landlord is actually named Larry Landlord :colbert:

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

setting off bullshit alarms in my head

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I choose to believe it's true

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

it's technically fake (los angeles landlord league does not exist) but spiritually true

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Soap Scum posted:

it's technically fake (los angeles landlord league does not exist) but spiritually true

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Soap Scum posted:

Do you think the league not existing would stop a landlord trying to collect money allegedly on its behalf?

Definitely true in spirit though

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

GotLag posted:

Do you think the league not existing would stop a landlord trying to collect money allegedly on its behalf?

Definitely true in spirit though

This is true though:

https://x.com/sunraysunray/status/1630308311361892352?s=20

Tiktok Source:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7199658726557797678

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Every lease I've ever signed has a provision in it about how they're not responsible for your house being safe and if someone breaks in that's your problem lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ikanreed posted:

whats bl

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Not much what's bl with you?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Boy Love

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's called ragebait. It's as real as the toilet bowl punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
are you telling me that man in a green wig is not actually his tenant??