Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Vine is a menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ronnie posted:

This thread has loads of lurkers. Probably because we don't have a lot of political knowledge to provide comment.
In my case its more "I've got a solid point to make here, a fantastic addition to the conversation" and then two posts after thinking this someone has already said this and selfishly written it far better than I ever could have done.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
More evidence that we need to ban QR codes in public spaces.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like parliament just passed the Troubles Immunity bill, which Norn Iron goons might correct me but I was under the impression neither the unionists nor the republicans want that?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I lurked for years and years before posting, now I make terrible white-noise contributions whenever I can.

Tesseraction posted:

Looks like parliament just passed the Troubles Immunity bill, which Norn Iron goons might correct me but I was under the impression neither the unionists nor the republicans want that?

Gotta remember the third constituency, consisting of Johnny Mercer, Johnny Mercer's wife, and Soldier F.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The "the Supreme Court said that we have to pay Gerry Adams at least 75p and a bottle of pop in compo for falsely imprisoning him and replacing him with Jimmy Savile in a balaclava helmet on the telly, so unfair :qq:" Undo it Immediately Act

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Both sides want culpability for wrongdoing, that can't be switched off and have 30 years of anger just disappear... it will get redirected into some bad places. :ughh:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Reveilled posted:

Bit of a tangent but I have always wondered how common temporary gender dysphoria (I'm not sure if that's the right way to phrase it) is during puberty. I had a period of maybe about 6-12 months when I was about 14ish where I strongly wished I was a girl. I never told anyone about it at the time, and then at some point it just disappeared and those feelings never came back. It's not really one of those things that's easy to talk about because I feel like people will make assumptions about ulterior motives.

I wonder this to. When I was a kid I went through a time where I was very confused about what it was to be a boy. If I was a kid today I imagine I'd have given being non-binary a go.
Now I imagine, just like back then, I'd have realised i was just being uncomfortable with what society tried to claim being a boy was and required of me, rather than me not being one. But it's still an interesting thought experiment in how that would have played out if it had happened today.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The transgenda would have swooped in and sliced your willy off right there in the school. No anaesthetic. Then they'd strap puberty blockers to your hands.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Vine is a menace

This post is withering on the vine

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I think I would have almost definitely thought I was non binary if I was growing up today and had the vocabulary to articulate that sort of thought instead of "football sucks I wish some of my friends liked the same things as me".

Getting people to ask those questions is great, and sometimes the answer is "huh I guess I am a straight, cis person" and that's fine. Nobody is concerned by teenagers being goths or w/e but maybe that's because goths don't sack capitals anymore I dunno

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The amount of psychotic car brain in the comments is legit terrifying

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Miftan posted:

Nobody is concerned by teenagers being goths or w/e but maybe that's because goths don't sack capitals anymore I dunno

That's why they're goths and not Goths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like you can ask the same question, come to something like the same answer, and still conceptualize it differently. I have no idea what I am, I don't think I ever have and until I got introduced to trans stuff and gender theory I thought this was how everyone worked. It took me a long time to understand the concept of "a gender identity" because the only concept of it I've ever had of gender is something that is enforced from outside. Everyone says you're an [x] so you must be one.

But that framework is entirely accommodating of, and useful for understanding, apathy on the subject. And the idea that you can just be whatever you want to be and you don't have to do stuff just because someone looked at you and decided you have to do x, y, and z because that's part and parcel of being your assigned gender and you don't get a choice in that, that's far more consistent and sensible to me than trying to crush the entire world and range of possible thoughts a human can have into this absurd pair of boxes and then pretending like nothing can exist outside that.

By far the most compelling takeaway, to me, from the recent proliferation of better ideas about sex and gender is that you can just do the things you think are important, be the things you think it's important to be, and that if some weirdo comes along and starts telling you "well you can't do that because you're not the right type of person" like loving, real life dnd classes or some poo poo, then they're the ones in the wrong. Once you start thinking outside of that then people who try to push that just look completely insane. And it's tiresome how much effort goes in to desperately trying to shore up the idea that that's the normal and correct way to think and everything else is going to collapse society.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Miftan posted:

Nobody is concerned by teenagers being goths or w/e but maybe that's because goths don't sack capitals anymore I dunno

Complete tangent. Saw some kids wearing the exact same nu metal look huge black jeans with chain the other day, just as I did as a kid.
I thought that was one of the trends that was so awful it would never come back but I guess all fashion is circular.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Complete tangent. Saw some kids wearing the exact same nu metal look huge black jeans with chain the other day, just as I did as a kid.
I thought that was one of the trends that was so awful it would never come back but I guess all fashion is circular.

Patiently waiting for flairs to come back into fashion... for the fourth time in my life. :derp:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I saw someone in JNCOs the other day. Made me do a proper double take.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like you can ask the same question, come to something like the same answer, and still conceptualize it differently. I have no idea what I am, I don't think I ever have and until I got introduced to trans stuff and gender theory I thought this was how everyone worked. It took me a long time to understand the concept of "a gender identity" because the only concept of it I've ever had of gender is something that is enforced from outside. Everyone says you're an [x] so you must be one.

But that framework is entirely accommodating of, and useful for understanding, apathy on the subject. And the idea that you can just be whatever you want to be and you don't have to do stuff just because someone looked at you and decided you have to do x, y, and z because that's part and parcel of being your assigned gender and you don't get a choice in that, that's far more consistent and sensible to me than trying to crush the entire world and range of possible thoughts a human can have into this absurd pair of boxes and then pretending like nothing can exist outside that.

By far the most compelling takeaway, to me, from the recent proliferation of better ideas about sex and gender is that you can just do the things you think are important, be the things you think it's important to be, and that if some weirdo comes along and starts telling you "well you can't do that because you're not the right type of person" like loving, real life dnd classes or some poo poo, then they're the ones in the wrong. Once you start thinking outside of that then people who try to push that just look completely insane. And it's tiresome how much effort goes in to desperately trying to shore up the idea that that's the normal and correct way to think and everything else is going to collapse society.

I think this is a much healthier way to look at it, to be honest. Putting labels on people is useful shorthand sometimes but completely insufficient to describe people. This even applies to something like "good" or "bad" which is quite controversial. It's useful shorthand for describing someone who regularly does good or bad things, but falls short when a Tory accidentally does something good, for example and people refuse to accept it. Broken clock and all that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mega Comrade posted:

Some of you may be old enough to remember "Flock of Seagulls" hair from the 80s, with that front bit sticking out in front of your face:

Though looking remarkably like him but not Kieth, lead singer of FoS:

Went to a family gathering some 30 years later (mid 2010s) and there were the young sons of a cousin - mid to late teens in age - in exactly the same hair.
Unthinkingly us olddies who were in our teens or 20s in the 1980s started exclaiming about their 'FoS hair'.
Having never heard of FoS and thinking they were being highly original, they were horrified that it had been done 30 years earlier.

I notice how jeans with ripped knees and girls walking round in bare bellies complaining about the cold is now in fashion again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Massive jeans are great, and I have worn a chain on my trousers every day of my life (that I have been wearing trousers) since I was a teenager.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Reveilled posted:

Bit of a tangent but I have always wondered how common temporary gender dysphoria (I'm not sure if that's the right way to phrase it) is during puberty. I had a period of maybe about 6-12 months when I was about 14ish where I strongly wished I was a girl. I never told anyone about it at the time, and then at some point it just disappeared and those feelings never came back. It's not really one of those things that's easy to talk about because I feel like people will make assumptions about ulterior motives.

Anecdata: my older cousin, when she was about 12, wanted to be referred to as a boy and use a male name when us kids met anyone else (there was a gaggle of us living out in the country at the time, so we'd run into occasional ramblers and holidaymakers when we were hoydening around). This lasted about a summer. And both my nieces have gone through boy phases, though they're both back to presenting as girls last I heard.

I don't know if gender questioning is common, but I think it's perfectly normal for teenagers to experiment, and deciding what their gender is and how they want to express it is part of that. The press and the terfs have just decided that any hint of gender questioning means mad gender doctors leaping from the shadows, scalpels flashing and fanged hormones filling the air.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's woke propaganda like "the famous five" giving people these ideas I tell you.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some of you may be old enough to remember "Flock of Seagulls" hair from the 80s, with that front bit sticking out in front of your face:

Though looking remarkably like him but not Kieth, lead singer of FoS:

Went to a family gathering some 30 years later (mid 2010s) and there were the young sons of a cousin - mid to late teens in age - in exactly the same hair.
Unthinkingly us olddies who were in our teens or 20s in the 1980s started exclaiming about their 'FoS hair'.
Having never heard of FoS and thinking they were being highly original, they were horrified that it had been done 30 years earlier.

I notice how jeans with ripped knees and girls walking round in bare bellies complaining about the cold is now in fashion again.

Had they never watched Pulp Fiction?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

It's woke propaganda like "the famous five" giving people these ideas I tell you.

Can't believe everyone just let Timmy identify as a dog without some kind of intervention

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Is that, like, a TikTok?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

I guess all fashion is circular.

Well...the hats are at least

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I lurked for years then started posting and an admin made me into a mod. Be careful!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Miftan posted:

I think I would have almost definitely thought I was non binary if I was growing up today and had the vocabulary to articulate that sort of thought instead of "football sucks I wish some of my friends liked the same things as me".

Getting people to ask those questions is great, and sometimes the answer is "huh I guess I am a straight, cis person" and that's fine. Nobody is concerned by teenagers being goths or w/e but maybe that's because goths don't sack capitals anymore I dunno

I had a phase where (especially at gigs) I would wear nail polish and eye makeup and girls clothes but I always felt masculine and straight while doing it. What is that? Is it non-binary or Is that what the kids call femboys now?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Reveilled posted:

I imagine it probably is something that some people go through temporarily, and will be doing more often as people become more aware of trans people. You're right that the transphobes often use this idea as something to beat trans people with (look, see, it's just a phase!) so it's hard to talk about. They often see someone changing pronouns or trying new names as an irreversible change that will lock them in on the trans ideology train if not swiftly corrected, but people going through phases and coming out the other end comfortably cis shows this isn't the case at all.

Now there's not been much of that in the past, but only because people haven't known enough about being trans to give it a shot. Letting people try out genders in a low-pressure environment is obviously good for people who end up being trans, but for those who end up being cis I think it would be pretty good too! Gender and one's relationship to it is pretty worthwhile to think about given like, all of society. And also once someone has had a chance to quickly try being trans and realise that's not them, they can get onto figuring out what else might be going on, if there is anything.

I think as much as transphobes claim to be "protecting" people questioning, the all-or-nothing approach they go for when pretending to accept the "real" trans people just makes it harder. If you can't dip your toe in the water and have to go through years of suffering and legal documents just to get some rear end in a top hat to call you the right pronoun then it's going to take much longer to figure out it's not for you, not to mention the refusal to acknowledge that people can be "a bit" trans, or have a gender identity other than male or female, or just be different in any way beyond the prescribed terf approved ways to gender. That's going to be what makes people go into the wrong gender and make bad choices, not giving them space to try out words and clothes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

They were mid-teens in 2015 so I doubt it!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I had a phase where (especially at gigs) I would wear nail polish and eye makeup and girls clothes but I always felt masculine and straight while doing it. What is that? Is it non-binary or Is that what the kids call femboys now?

Wasn't that just a "New Romantics" phase?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Brendan Rodgers posted:

One of these men then went on to marry the hottest babe of the 90s

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They were mid-teens in 2015 so I doubt it!

Wasn't that just a "New Romantics" phase?

That seems before my time but apparently there was a 90s revival of it called Romantic Modernism.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That seems before my time but apparently there was a 90s revival of it called Romantic Modernism.

you also had the emo kids in the 00s doing makeup and androgyny, the ones I knew were not to the same lengths as the hair metal pictured above, but i'm starting to get the sense that maybe "liking makeup while also being a dude" is just a thing that teenagers have had a go at a lot historically while everyone keeps pretending it's new

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's only this century really that male fashion has been dowdy (well amongst the non-peasantry at least).
Just Google male fashion in Elizabethan times for a start!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s actually astonishing just how boring mainstream men’s fashion is. Every shop you go in is a sea of browns, greys and dark blue. I hate it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smellmycheese posted:

One of these men then went on to marry the hottest babe of the 90s

It's so cool when people find romance among band mates :lovebird:

meanwhile in Finland...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Massive jeans are great, and I have worn a chain on my trousers every day of my life (that I have been wearing trousers) since I was a teenager.

I don't care as long as hoodies never go out of fashion.

If the world turns its back on hoodies I will burn the world down

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

It’s actually astonishing just how boring mainstream men’s fashion is. Every shop you go in is a sea of browns, greys and dark blue. I hate it.

We need to reclaim pink, it being a girls colour in the west is so weird. Back in Punjab a pink turban and shirt is perfectly masculine, you can get straight-married in a completely pink outfit and noone will bat an eye.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

smellmycheese posted:

it sucks so loving much - if you do want men's clothing with anywhere near the interesting colours/patterns you find on affordable women's clothes it feels like you have to pay through the fuckin nose for it

fond memory of looking at the nice pastel hoodies in the women's section in primark and a shop assistant asking me if i needed direction to the men's section

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ProTip by the way - if you haven’t read Motley Crue’s autobiography “The Dirt” then GET IT NOW. It is one of the funniest books you will ever read. 4 of the absolute dumbest motherfuckes on the planet who somehow clown their way into global stardom and then go about trashing everything in a variety of insane ways. It includes the famous Ozzy Osborne “line of ants” anecdote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

fond memory of looking at the nice pastel hoodies in the women's section in primark and a shop assistant asking me if i needed direction to the men's section

You can just buy and wear those if they're the right size. There's no laws about it or anything!