Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Reiko is the new dedicated jobber now that the old
jobbers (Reptile, Baraka) are good guys in the new era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people love Reiko purely because of the "What If" ending that had him put on Shao Kahn's helmet

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

That's Reiko. He debuted in MK4.

In the original timeline, he was one of Shao's warlords, but everything about him was overtly filler.

In the remake timeline, he was the villain of the MKX weekly digital comic.

Well, secondary villain. He ended up being an unknowing herald to Havik. Fitting, since they were both failed designs for Noob Saibot that became their own characters.

The one part of the comic with Reiko I thought was metal was how he said when destroying enemy villages for Shao Kahn, he would make sure to spare their houses of worship until it was the last thing standing. Then he would burn it down himself, feeling a finality to it all.

DLC Inc posted:

people love Reiko purely because of the "What If" ending that had him put on Shao Kahn's helmet

"Love" in the sense that I gave him last place when I did the "Ranking Every MK Character" article.

Even after having him as the last officially announced character on the main roster, the trailers have nothing to add other than that he's just kind of there.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Since this is a WB game, they should have took the nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor for Reiko, so every time get gets killed he comes back a little stronger.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Vakal posted:

Since this is a WB game, they should have took the nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor for Reiko, so every time get gets killed he comes back a little stronger.

Clearly you mean the nemesis system for random tarkatans :colbert:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have an absolute basic MK question:

How do I interpret / how should I consider front punch vs. rear punch and front kick vs. rear kick?

I know they literally refer to attacking with the limb closest to or furthest from the enemy, but what does this imply for damage, utility, etc?

Contrast with Street Fighter, which has light, medium, and heavy versions of each attack. These are easy to understand. Lighter is faster with less damage, and heavier is slower with more damage. It's not obvious like that in MK, at least to me.

I tend to interpret front as light and back as heavy. Is that reasonable?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 13, 2023

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vakal posted:

seems like it fits Havik better considering he reconstructs his hosed up lich body constantly, I'd dig that

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DLC Inc posted:

seems like it fits Havik better considering he reconstructs his hosed up lich body constantly, I'd dig that

I want to see Meat return, but basically just be John Carpenter's The Thing in this timeline.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Thinking long and hard about the time Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb gave MK VS DC a 100/100 rating.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rare to see someone so right.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How do I interpret / how should I consider front punch vs. rear punch and front kick vs. rear kick?

I know they literally refer to attacking with the limb closest to or furthest from the enemy, but what does this imply for damage, utility, etc?

Contrast with Street Fighter, which has light, medium, and heavy versions of each attack. These are easy to understand. Lighter is faster with less damage, and heavier is slower with more damage. It's not obvious like that in MK, at least to me.

They are all different attacks with different frame data and animation. In general, yes, front punch and front kick do tend to be faster and do less damage while back punch and back kick are the opposite.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Re: Guest characters - I agree to an extent about bringing back old characters over movie monsters but you'll hit diminishing returns at some point and end up with a Kombat pack of Kobra, Hsu Hao, Blaze, Taven, Kai and Jarek. While extremely funny I don't imagine that would shift a lot of units. Although NRS have done a great job of rehabilitating the looks of Ashrah, Li Mei and Nitara (goddamn Nitara looks fantastic) personally I think the characters they picked were the most salvageable in terms of concept and don't think the magic would work with those I mentioned in the Loser Kombat Pack.

As for the guest characters themselves, I'm indifferent towards Omni-Man. I enjoyed Invincible and blew through it on a slow work from home day but I wouldn't rewatch it. All I want from Peacemaker is a U CANT SEE ME moment with Kenshi and that's it. Homelander I'm most excited about but it lives or dies on whether they get Antony Starr for his voice. They got his likeness though so here's hoping. The opportunity to play as, or beat the poo poo out of Homelander and feed him his own spine is too good to pass up.

One thing about the roster is that I keep forgetting about characters I'm excited to play as! Nitara is the most recent, but then I remember Havik is in this, and Reptile's redesign is incredible, but oh poo poo General Shao with his big axe is here too, and Shang Tsung looks dope, can't forget my boy Baraka although I just did. I don't know why but so much of the roster ends up being eclipsed by another reveal for me that I forget they're there. Remember Tanya is in this? And Smoke and Rain?

Sorry I'm rambling because I'm so hyped. This comes out a couple of days before my birthday and I have the entire week off so I'm gonna be a 36 year-old man on my sofa getting lost in my stories of ninjas and movie stars and kung fu monks like I was a kid again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm probably the least excited for the announced guest characters than I have been about any KP up to this point. It's fine though as long as they're lovely (Rambo, Leatherface) and not so good that you see them being played more than the actual MK characters (Joker, Alien, Freddy etc).

The 3D era characters are so different conceptually from their origins that they might as well be brand new, which I suppose is the entire point of bringing them back.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I'm probably the least excited for the announced guest characters than I have been about any KP up to this point. It's fine though as long as they're lovely (Rambo, Leatherface) and not so good that you see them being played more than the actual MK characters (Joker, Alien, Freddy etc).

The 3D era characters are so different conceptually from their origins that they might as well be brand new, which I suppose is the entire point of bringing them back.

This^

I hate when I want to play MK or watch a tourney and it's "Alien vs Predator" or "Jason vs MK character" every loving match

A few guest characters is fine, I love X even they went a little overboard. I would have been fine with Jason/Predator, Alien doesn't need to be there but I'm whatever about them. Just balance them so they aren't dominant in competitive. Leatherface was such a wierd choice...

MK 11 took SO many slots for really nothing Ill fitting characters, like who really loving wants to play John Rambo in Mortal Kombat, Terminator sucked, Robocop is a fun idea but poor execution...

The best one was Spawn. Spawn is fine, because he fits, though sadly his gameplay was eh. Joker I get because of Injustice, he's whatever.

It wouldn't be that big a deal if the base roster of Mk 11 was good, but it was just kinda meh

Which is a shame, because it had some amazing art and character designs, I just wish that work had gone into more MK characters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Generalizing majorly here, but strings beginning with front punches and front kicks (1,3) are lighter, have less startup time, and typically hit mid or high from neutral. Rear punch and kick strings (2,4) are usually heavier, slower and can often hit overhead or low from neutral. It's not a 1:1 translation, though, and in MK it's usually more useful to look at WHERE your strings are hitting rather than what buttons you're pressing. You always want to know your character's fastest combo-starting mid (~9-13f startup), your safest moves on block, your fastest pokes from footsies range (~6-7f) which strings lead to mixups (overhead/low), your most reliable punish strings on block/whiff (11-18f), which specials are EXable for combos, etc. In MK11 fast advancing mids from neutral were king, and it doesn't look like that is about to change anytime soon.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
True, but at least D1s are like -20 or something on block now so no more poke spam..hopefully!

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
mortal kombat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dah-dah-dah-dah-da-dah

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought Reiko was supposed to be Shao Khan’s replacement in MK4 since Shao was canonically dead. So they gave Reiko some of his moves and called it a day. He was also in the most recent movie, yeah?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought Reiko was supposed to be Shao Khan’s replacement in MK4 since Shao was canonically dead. So they gave Reiko some of his moves and called it a day. He was also in the most recent movie, yeah?

They played him up as a big mystery and in the arcade/N64 endings, he just ran through a portal and that was it. The PS and DC endings showed him putting on Kahn's mask, which was supposed to insinuate that he was secretly Shao Kahn all along. The Game Boy Color ending was more blatant about it. The problem was that he had zero similarities to Kahn at all, so the twist felt off.

Later, they just said that Reiko was a separate character who enjoyed sneaking into Kahn's throne room and putting on the mask when he wasn't around.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Gavok posted:

They played him up as a big mystery and in the arcade/N64 endings, he just ran through a portal and that was it. The PS and DC endings showed him putting on Kahn's mask, which was supposed to insinuate that he was secretly Shao Kahn all along. The Game Boy Color ending was more blatant about it. The problem was that he had zero similarities to Kahn at all, so the twist felt off.

Later, they just said that Reiko was a separate character who enjoyed sneaking into Kahn's throne room and putting on the mask when he wasn't around.

Reiko: The original kosplayer of Mortal Kombat

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

No battle pass! Woo!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

They're livestreaming Reiko and Shand Tsung

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhGJ4VAGic

Reiko ... looks rad as hell

Shang Tsung having two discrete forms is pretty neat

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shang's now a stance kharacter

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aw gently caress, Shujinko is a really cool kameo
Damnit Neatherrealm, how dare you

e:
Shang Tsung's xray is injecting the Tarkat virus lmao

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 13, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Just got my pre-order key from Greenman for the base version of the game. Looks like I get to play tomorrow after all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Regrettable posted:

Just got my pre-order key from Greenman for the base version of the game. Looks like I get to play tomorrow after all.

With GMG's current sale the kost of the game + first KP is 91 bux, which is almost reasonable these days.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

:negative:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

With GMG's current sale the kost of the game + first KP is 91 bux, which is almost reasonable these days.

Yeah, I'll just have to buy that later. I always try to buy games on steep discount and don't do preorders, with the exception of MK games because I've always been a sucker for them.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm just waiting to see what the PC crossplay situation is

Currently this seems like a big healthy dose of get hosed

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I like that according to Reiko's bio, he's gone from "I will usurp Shao Kahn if it's the last thing I do!" to "General Shao is the absolute best and I will die for that man."

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Gavok posted:

I like that according to Reiko's bio, he's gone from "I will usurp Shao Kahn if it's the last thing I do!" to "General Shao is the absolute best and I will die for that man."

So basically Kollector again.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How does Shao Kahn get so many ride or die loyalists?

He seems like an incredibly lovely leader who is just good at fighting

Does the General of Outworld package have good benefits lmao

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

just good at fighting

in the realm of Mortal Kombat, this is the definitive quality. Although this doesn't explain how Kotal Kahn rose to power; dude got his rear end beat twice over

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TulliusCicero posted:

How does Shao Kahn get so many ride or die loyalists?

He seems like an incredibly lovely leader who is just good at fighting

Does the General of Outworld package have good benefits lmao

Reiko's deal is that during some war, he and his family were captured. He was a prisoner while the others died. General Shao ended up liberating him, watched Reiko go to town on his captors immediately after, and went, "Okay, you're my squire now."

DLC Inc posted:

in the realm of Mortal Kombat, this is the definitive quality. Although this doesn't explain how Kotal Kahn rose to power; dude got his rear end beat twice over

He was way more badass in the comic prequel, which showed him completely ruining Rain and Goro.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

It might be that he sounds like Worf

That voice alone will get you far :swoon:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
so a thing regarding spoilers for unlocks

So if there's no actual final spot is the grey section just the random button on kharacter and kameo select screens or are they really going to do the Samurai Showdown thing where there's separate pages for the DLC

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's sort of interesting that MK11 Scorpion is the first boss of the invasions mode. Apparently the only way that Liu Kang could ensure Scorpion's wife Harumi's survival was to make sure she and Scorpion never met in the first place.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

KungFu Grip posted:

so a thing regarding spoilers for unlocks

So if there's no actual final spot is the grey section just the random button on kharacter and kameo select screens or are they really going to do the Samurai Showdown thing where there's separate pages for the DLC

The button currently does nothing, so if it was meant to be a random button (or anything else) it's currently not functioning. It's likely it just opens the store page when those are live, because I'm pretty sure every other game has just changed up the roster screen to accommodate the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is easily the coolest version of Shang Tsung