Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had plans to propose to my wife in Prague. She kinda knew something was coming, but I spent an entire day roaming the city with her looking for a good spot/moment. It became comical because every time I'd find some slightly quiet secluded corner of a park or something, a gaggle of teens would suddenly show up, or a loud group of Italian tourists would burst into the scene. The entire day was just non-stop having the moment ruined. Eventually I just proposed at the end of the day at our apartment. We successfully got married despite not having a corporate marketing department level of instagram perfect engagement photos. That poo poo doesn't matter. Have a great marriage, not a great proposal. I mean have fun with it if that's what you want, but if a random person existing in a park is enough to totally destroy your proposal plans then your plan is incredibly brittle and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
a random aside - remember when crypto people sincerely thought blockchain would 'stop theft' bc you could always see where the tokens went, but then it turned out that was absolutely useless for protecting your assets bc the cops can't do anything to get your money if you got scammed out of it lol

they seriously thought the issue with scamming was 'you don't know where the money went' and just having that info would make it so the powers that be just return your money to you bc the blockchain showed it was previously yours lol

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I mean have fun with it if that's what you want, but if a random person existing in a park is enough to totally destroy your proposal plans then your plan is incredibly brittle and stupid.

Many relationships are actually quite brittle and stupid, hyper-performative poo poo like this is a pretty good indicator, IMO.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The fact that she refused to move does t make it crazy to have expected someone to move. Anything about weddings seems to turn this thread against the people. But it costs nothing for the picnicking person to move, and it clearly meant a lot to the others. Why not make them happy? The person eating was just being lazy and refusing to make a simple accommodation that would’ve made two other people happy.

We live in a society…

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

poisonpill posted:

But it costs nothing for the picnicking person to move, and it clearly meant a lot to the others.
Actually it does cost them something--they spent time and effort setting up their picnicing spot. It takes more time to put things back together to be able to move them somewhere else (which also means finding a new spot, and given we don't know anything else about the area the OP was in, we don't know how difficult that was, only that there apparently weren't even other spots for the couple to take pictures)

Which really means that it would have been less effort for the photographer to find a slightly different spot, or if there truly were no other spots he should have arrived earlier or they should have been content to wait an hour for the spot to clear up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poisonpill posted:

The fact that she refused to move does t make it crazy to have expected someone to move. Anything about weddings seems to turn this thread against the people. But it costs nothing for the picnicking person to move, and it clearly meant a lot to the others. Why not make them happy? The person eating was just being lazy and refusing to make a simple accommodation that would’ve made two other people happy.

We live in a society…

And the people doing their proposal shoot could have, and in fact did, just had their shoot somewhere else in the park rather than repeatedly harassing the woman. You'd have a case if they just asked once and she said no, but the story told has a repeated aggressor party, and it's not the picknicker.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I have a lot of couple friends who have photos like that framed and in pride of place in their homes. It's not all social media clout-chasing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

poisonpill posted:

We live in a society…

The wedding link is what made the couple act all entitled though. If you rewrite the scenario where the couple were taking engagement photos and OP showed up and told them they need to move so she can eat lunch, that makes it much clearer how unreasonable of a request it is. Why not make her happy? Would the couple taking photos be lazy for not making a simple accommodation? Attaching a wedding link to a request doesn’t make it less unreasonable, which is why it gets called out when people demand special treatment.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

don longjohns posted:

For some reason, regardless of its veracity, this AITA post has made my stomach queasy.

Yeah, the thought of being in a room with a lock on the outside really creeps me out, even if no-one else was in the house.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm having a big laugh at this because the gfs response to the dungeon was "I don't trust this guy with a prison in his basement, but I think I'll stick around and spend over a hundred bucks spying on him instead of just, I dunno, not risking my life hanging around the person with a dungeon in his basement he could seal me in?"

Like, even if it is the harmless thing he presents it as or its some kind of bdsm kink thing he hasnt brought up, it's ok for her to gtfo out of there if it's existence makes her uncomfortable. She doesn't need to stick around and prove it's malicious first.

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, the thought of being in a room with a lock on the outside really creeps me out, even if no-one else was in the house.

I don't think he's a serial killer or a bdsm kinkster hiding his kink (if he was at the stage of his life where he would buy a house with a sex dungeon, he would be actively dating other kinksters), but I do think he is being a dingus about not removing the external locks at the very least. I imagine replacing a door like that would be pricey, but he's gotta do something about the locks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unless whoever built the sex dungeon did it in a weird way, you can replace the knob with a non-locking one without having to take off the door. He should have immediately offered to do that to defuse the situation

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Picnic lady is NTA because if it was me I’d go extra spiteful and take a nap afterwards. Knowing full well I’d be a jerk.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

StrangersInTheNight posted:

a random aside - remember when crypto people sincerely thought blockchain would 'stop theft' bc you could always see where the tokens went, but then it turned out that was absolutely useless for protecting your assets bc the cops can't do anything to get your money if you got scammed out of it lol

Literaly how most bitcoin thefts are pulled off.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

poisonpill posted:

We live in a society…

I've lived in a few different cultures and in all of them public spaces are first come, first served and if someone doesn't vacate immediately when asked you just wait your turn like an adult. You don't say "My thing is more important than your thing" and have a hissy fit.

There are quite possibly assholes on both sides of this story, but for my money failure to yield is a far lesser sin than trying to chase someone out of a public space and then having a temper tantrum about it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I've lived in a few different cultures and in all of them public spaces are first come, first served and if someone doesn't vacate immediately when asked you just wait your turn like an adult. You don't say "My thing is more important than your thing" and have a hissy fit.

There are quite possibly assholes on both sides of this story, but for my money failure to yield is a far lesser sin than trying to chase someone out of a public space and then having a temper tantrum about it.

but have you considered that they really really wanted it??? (but not enough to plan ahead more than 5 minutes)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

but have you considered that they really really wanted it??? (but not enough to plan ahead more than 5 minutes)

There were two of them so they must have wanted it 2x as much, bare minimum. It's basic math, really.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I have a lot of couple friends who have photos like that framed and in pride of place in their homes. It's not all social media clout-chasing.

And if that spot is really that important to them, they can wait their turn.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Well, yeah. I was just countering the assumptions that it was all about the 'gram; just as others were assuming the picnicker is bitter and lonely.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Unless you own that plot of property, have a reservation for that plot of property, or you’re a cop, I don’t have to move from wherever I’ve sat down. Especially if it’s public property like a park. How hard is this to understand?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
💩💩💩💩

AITA for returning my neighbor's dog poop with a shovel.

quote:

My neighbors recently got a big mixed breed dog that they allow to crap on my lawn every day. I tried talking to them about it, they said it wouldn't happen any more but they didn't stop. They live across the street and three houses down so I guess they thought I couldn't really do anything. They didn't take into account that I am a petty gal that used to play lacrosse.

For the last week or so I have been picking up their dog's poop with a piece of wood nailed to a stick. I then take my dog for a walk and return their property onto their roof.

They came to talk to me after they noticed and said that they wanted me to pay for someone to clean their roof. I told them that my security camera had caught them leaving their dogshit on my lawn for a month. If I forwarded the video to bylaw enforcement they would be getting over thirty $250 tickets. I asked how much they wanted for the roof cleaning. They went away and no longer walk on my side of the street.

My husband says that I'm an rear end in a top hat for not just getting bylaw involved to begin with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FMguru posted:

The BIL's name? Ea-Nasir!

I've seen a bunch of references to this guy in the last six months or so. Is it the internet being cyclical, that thing where once you start noticing something you spot it a lot more, or was there some sort of new news about it recently?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski posted:

I've seen a bunch of references to this guy in the last six months or so. Is it the internet being cyclical, that thing where once you start noticing something you spot it a lot more, or was there some sort of new news about it recently?

It's just the internet being cyclical, it's an inherently really funny concept so every so often it has a burst of virality

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ChickenDoodle posted:

Unless you own that plot of property, have a reservation for that plot of property, or you’re a cop, I don’t have to move from wherever I’ve sat down. Especially if it’s public property like a park. How hard is this to understand?

Doormats are gonna doormat, I guess.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

FMguru posted:

NTA I think this should happen to all dog owners who don't pick up after their dogs

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

FMguru posted:

💩💩💩💩

Your husband is lame, reddit lady that won't read this.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I had plans to propose to my wife in Prague. She kinda knew something was coming, but I spent an entire day roaming the city with her looking for a good spot/moment. It became comical because every time I'd find some slightly quiet secluded corner of a park or something, a gaggle of teens would suddenly show up, or a loud group of Italian tourists would burst into the scene. The entire day was just non-stop having the moment ruined. Eventually I just proposed at the end of the day at our apartment. We successfully got married despite not having a corporate marketing department level of instagram perfect engagement photos. That poo poo doesn't matter. Have a great marriage, not a great proposal. I mean have fun with it if that's what you want, but if a random person existing in a park is enough to totally destroy your proposal plans then your plan is incredibly brittle and stupid.

sever

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

💩💩💩💩

Some years ago after our neighbor's moved in, and the daughter had a baby, I noticed used diapers being thrown into my backyard. I confronted the neighbors on it and the dad was kind of angry but told me he would talk to his sons because they were the ones that were doing it. Apparently these middle school kids were bored or didn't like doing diaper duty or who knows. But after talking to the dad 2 or 3 different times and still finding diapers thrown in my backyard, I instead started picking them up with a shovel and launching it over the backyard wall. A few of them ended up in their yard, a few ended up on top of the car in their backyard, a few ended up on the roof. I'm not sure which of the three did it, but at some point the diapers stopped appearing in my backyard.

As for the dungeon dude, I'm sorry, I've read way too many true crime stories about stuff like that for this to be fine, and his girlfriend was stupid for trying to spy on him when what she should have done was escape the area, and possibly blast this information all over social media so people know, Hey this dude has a dungeon. And it's got a bed and a lot of living stuff, including a refrigerator and oh and the door only opens from the outside and it's capable of locking you in. Yeah, there's no real positive way to spin that, even with his idea that he uses it to get away from everything so he can focus on work.

It's almost like finding out someone you know has a whole bunch of anime Lolita statues: yeah, they might not be a pedophile, but there's a lot of evidence that suggest otherwise.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 13, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I dunno, lady could just ask him to take the external lock off. I believe it came like that, old houses have weird poo poo. Then again I owned a house with a basement that used to be an after-hours club, so I'm jaded.

On my house I would have taken that loving lock and probably door off before I even entered that room.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I do solo picnic too. They're really comfy. I suggest people here try it once and you'll realize that the enjoyment of your picnic is much higher than whatever the hell those two were gonna do anyway

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

I've ranted about this before but this is a better way of saying it. Things looking god doesn't make your life better. You're always going to be tripped up by how things actually are. So make the actual things good. Also proposing in front of a bunch of boisterous Italian tourists sounds like a recipe for fun.

poisonpill posted:

We live in a society…

Because it would make ME unhappy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ChickenDoodle posted:

From one point of view both the picnicker and the engagement party have equivalent and incompatible desires to use a public space, but the engagement party has a more serious reason for what they want, so the picnicker should yield.

From another (IMO better) point of view, the picnicker wants shared use of the space and the engagement party wants exclusive use of the space. Kicking other people out of a space is fundamentally not equivalent to being able to use a space yourself and the engagement party is trying to impose on the picnicker in a way that the picnicker is not trying to impose on the engagement party. If OP is feeling magnanimous the swell thing to do would be to let them have it anyhow but it's not really a reasonable demand.

Cowslips Warren posted:

As for the dungeon dude, I'm sorry, I've read way too many true crime stories about stuff like that for this to be fine, and his girlfriend was stupid for trying to spy on him when what she should have done was escape the area, and possibly blast this information all over social media so people know, Hey this dude has a dungeon. And it's got a bed and a lot of living stuff, including a refrigerator and oh and the door only opens from the outside and it's capable of locking you in. Yeah, there's no real positive way to spin that, even with his idea that he uses it to get away from everything so he can focus on work.

It's almost like finding out someone you know has a whole bunch of anime Lolita statues: yeah, they might not be a pedophile, but there's a lot of evidence that suggest otherwise.

I think people are glossing over

quote:

I obviously didn’t add any of the soundproofing and the door already had the exterior locks and food pass through thing when I first came here.

there is no need to put "dungeon" in quotes, you have a literal for real dungeon in your basement dude. you do not need a literal for real dungeon to have a quiet spot in your basement. get rid of the drat lock.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The weirdest thing about that story is how blase the guy is about the room, as if it's just something you can expect to find occasionally when you move to a new place. I'd be in full on :wtf: mode until I figured out what was up with that.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Hogging a prominent scenic view with an hour long picnic seems kind of rude in any event

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
No it isnt

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Some years ago after our neighbor's moved in, and the daughter had a baby, I noticed used diapers being thrown into my backyard. I confronted the neighbors on it and the dad was kind of angry but told me he would talk to his sons because they were the ones that were doing it. Apparently these middle school kids were bored or didn't like doing diaper duty or who knows. But after talking to the dad 2 or 3 different times and still finding diapers thrown in my backyard, I instead started picking them up with a shovel and launching it over the backyard wall. A few of them ended up in their yard, a few ended up on top of the car in their backyard, a few ended up on the roof. I'm not sure which of the three did it, but at some point the diapers stopped appearing in my backyard.

drat shame they didn't have a pool.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Y'all want a damned if you do, damned if you don't?

AITA for arranging child care far away from my wedding reception.

quote:

I got married this summer. And while I wanted a child free wedding I realized that this would exclude a lot of my friends and family. So I came up with what I thought was a good compromise.

I rented out my brother's indoor playground and paid the staff to work late. Basically I paid them double time until midnight whether there were kids there or not. They are all trained in first aid and have all been screened by the police. On top of that several of the older kids that didn't want to go to the reception stayed there as well to keep an eye on everything. As well as two ladies from my church. I also provided food and drinks.

The problem is that the playground was about two miles away from the reception. So you basically had to choose between leaving you'd kids there or bringing them with you. I figured that it was a good option for anyone with kids that might get rowdy. Anyone with infants obviously wouldn't leave them there.

Boy was I wrong. People were mad that it was so far away. About a five minute drive. They were mad that the kids didn't get the same food as the people at the reception. No, they got pizza, nachos, and fried chicken. They were mad I didn't have someone to watch nursing babies. I was cool with people bringing babies to the reception. There was a mother's room at the hall for nursing and changing babies.

I have been called all kinds of names for what I honestly thought was a nice thing. My husband said we should just have gone child free and dealt with that hate instead of wasting money on ingrates. My aunt actually called me an rear end in a top hat for not wanting a couple of dozen screaming and crying kids at the reception.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I was going to say most pools have such an assload of chlorine in them you can just fish it out with a new and be fine.

And then I remembered private pools run much lower quantities and that poo poo would need shocked

E: ^^^^^
I love that as a solution. Food the kids will want? Stuff the kids will actually want to do? An incredibly trivial drive time? All of those angry parents are idiots that want their kids bored out of their minds.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 13, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Is anyone upset at Soup Nazi?

Feresten [the writer of the episode] doesn’t figure he could get away with the Soup Nazi name today. “It was a time in America when there were no real Nazis around. So it didn’t really feel like that bad of a joke,” he said. “But I think about it all the time.”

https://wapo.st/3sNZzQl

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

poisonpill posted:

The person eating was just being lazy and refusing to make a simple accommodation that would’ve made two other people happy.

People are allowed to be lazy in public spaces. That's what they're FOR. To fuckin' laze around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also it's very likely the proposers would have asked them to move all their picnic stuff too, which would not be nearly as reasonable as just moving yourself for a few minutes

Uncontrolled public spaces are first-come, first-served. It's the only way that's fair to everyone