Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Does your Canadian employer offer a plan? big companies with thousands of employees or unions will often pre-negotiate a rate that can be anywhere from amazing to worse you can get at costco, check there first. Secondly, do you have a costco membership? Their cell kiosk resells Bell and Rogers only, but they usually offer some of the best deals outside of the few days a year around holidays when carriers will (pretend to) compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My employer is US-based, we just have a big office in Calgary (and smaller offices in Toronto and Montreal). I'll check but I doubt we have anything like that, I think we're under 500 globally.

I don't have a Costco membership, but if the value is there in getting one then I'm not averse to doing it. Thanks for that info!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Looks like I'll be moving to Calgary this fall, from the US. What carriers should I be looking at? I want to bring and use my Pixel 5a, currently on Google Fi.

And no, can't just roam with Fi indefinitely - apparently they're starting to crack down on that.

Main things are to be as affordable as possible with good internet coverage.

Check for a company covered plan first.

The cheapest deals with the most data i think are $40-50 for 20-30gb with Public Mobile/Koodo/etc.. I don't know what the cheapest unlimited plans are going for.

They're bring your own device though. Not sure how competitive plans get if you want the plan to cover the phone.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I signed up for a work plan with Rogers about 2 weeks before Black Friday, and got a lovely deal.

When BF came around the big 3 had deals for non-new customers. And thanks to someone mentioning it in this thread I get 110gb (they say it's unlimited, but that's bs) anywhere in North America for $55 cad/mo. Which is almost as good as other developed countries.

I recommend signing up for RoBeLus' own brands with the best deal you can find through work or Costco, then wait for a sale. If one provider has it, odds are they all have the exact same thing available.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

St_Ides posted:

I recommend signing up for RoBeLus' own brands with the best deal you can find through work or Costco, then wait for a sale. If one provider has it, odds are they all have the exact same thing available.

"We're totally not conspiring to fix prices, honest!"

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Canadian Cellular: almost as good as other developed countries!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That's a lie and you know it. I've been to underdeveloped shithole countries (the UK) with far better telecom.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got a code in the mail for Virgin, but the deal it offered was actually worse than another deal they had running on their website. Canada!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Do any Canadian providers offer data only plans? Just theorizing that I could port my US number to Google Voice, then forward it to my Zoom Phone number.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Do any Canadian providers offer data only plans? Just theorizing that I could port my US number to Google Voice, then forward it to my Zoom Phone number.

They all do. However, those plans are tablet plans. And I’m pretty sure* all major carriers only let you get tablet plans if you already have a phone plan.

That’s because too many people like me were getting tablet plans independently, then just going with VoIP. Or so the rumour goes.

*I haven’t shopped for data-only plans in about a year or two, as I got my employer to set up Employee Plans with TELUS and now I’m on a $10/month tablet plan with them.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

experienceBeej posted:

They all do. However, those plans are tablet plans. And I’m pretty sure* all major carriers only let you get tablet plans if you already have a phone plan.

This is correct

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well that sucks, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It looks like Freedom Mobile will let me bring my own phone to a Tablet 5 GB plan for $15/mo, but I'm guessing they would probably catch on - if they don't outright block activation of my phone.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 9, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone ever added a smartwatch to a telus plan that someone else uses? My kid wants a phone but we are thinking a watch might be better (harder to lose, he can still text us on it, less games etc).

I see there is an option to add one for $10 a month but wondering if there are any gotchas if it isn’t my watch. I guess it would just be also tied to my phone number? Not even sure if you can voice call from an apple watch with cellular.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

priznat posted:

Has anyone ever added a smartwatch to a telus plan that someone else uses? My kid wants a phone but we are thinking a watch might be better (harder to lose, he can still text us on it, less games etc).

I see there is an option to add one for $10 a month but wondering if there are any gotchas if it isn’t my watch. I guess it would just be also tied to my phone number? Not even sure if you can voice call from an apple watch with cellular.

You can.

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/make-phone-calls-apdc38d7a95e/watchos

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/watch/apd32b6c5658/watchos

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh that’s cool, but I dunno if I’d want to have to get a whole separate number for it if it is the kid’s watch. Maybe if it was a cheap add on option.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I've been dodging calls from Shaw/Rogers to update my old Shaw plan. They claim it's "to make sure (I'm) getting the best value", but it most surely will mean losing my $10/month plan, and gently caress that.

It could also be to change my Shaw TV/Internet plan, but my contract is up in January anyway, so I'll just wait that one out. At the very least, it looks like I'll still be able to access Shaw GoWifi Hotspots. :hellyeah:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Need to geta cheap plan for a "Family phone". Any recommendations that won't cost a ton?

Currently with public mobile. Don't really need data, even just basic plan with minutes that rollover month to month. This is largely so my 9 year old doesn't burn the house down in an emergency

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What's your maximum budget per month?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

What's your maximum budget per month?

I mean, I'm not sure I really have one, but it would be cool to spend as little as possible. Sub $20 would be good. I can always stop it/change it if it needs to leave the hous, this is mainly as an alternative to a landline

Just don't it want to be a janky nightmare more than anuthing. Local calling is all I really need on it, dare I even say it only needs to call a handfull of numbers

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

I mean, I'm not sure I really have one, but it would be cool to spend as little as possible. Sub $20 would be good. I can always stop it/change it if it needs to leave the hous, this is mainly as an alternative to a landline

Just don't it want to be a janky nightmare more than anuthing. Local calling is all I really need on it, dare I even say it only needs to call a handfull of numbers

7-11 has a basic pre-pay plan:
$20
200 minutes with unlimited text
No data
Unlimited Canada and US text
Voice Mail, Caller ID, Call Waiting.

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/basic-cell-phone-plans

$10 for unlimited texting, and Voice Mail, Caller ID, Call Waiting.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So you can get 5g plans with Koodo now. Could sacrifice 20 of my 50gb and pay $10 more per month, but it just ain't worth it right now to me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Maybe it's because I'm a Luddite but what exactly is supposed to be so ground breaking about 5G that I'm supposed to want to pay extra for it? I've never felt wanting for speed when using 4G/LTE

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

tony quidtana posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a Luddite but what exactly is supposed to be so ground breaking about 5G that I'm supposed to want to pay extra for it? I've never felt wanting for speed when using 4G/LTE

Nothing yet. In a lot of cases, the 5g protocol is worse in weak signal areas.

Having gigabits of speed in small 300M footprints could be cool, but because you have limited data (50gb)? It’s essentially useless.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The 5G plans from Telus/Koodo/Public are also all limited speed plans now, so you can’t actually use the higher throughput of 5G as you otherwise might be able to.

(Also, I’d really like a flanker other than Virgin mobile to support watch plans, please and thank you)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I just discovered something,

I got onto that Freedom deal a few months ago for 40GB Canada/US roaming and notice that it now has 5G.

Not that I'm complaining, but I had no idea. Guess I should turn enable 5G on my phone now. (I turned it off as it supposedly helps with battery life if you don't use it).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

tony quidtana posted:

The big draw of 5G is reducing the latency, but for cellular phone use I don't think the use case is there for the vast majority of people. Maybe phone gamers or hot spot gaming? 5G for residential internet would be fantastic when compared to LTE for instance.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I need a new phone and a new plan. The ol' Galaxy S5 served me well for nearly 10 years but it's getting a bit too busted even by my very low standards.

I barely use my phone these days, both voice and data, on account of not working in an office anymore which means no commuting. Browsing on my phone in the subway was by far the biggest use I made of my data. These days it's limited to checking a map or an email, so basically nothing. In fact I just checked and over the past 6 months in half of those months I used less than 10MB (lol); most was around 150MB. 1GB/month would be plenty. It's basically the same for voice; fanciest thing I need is for someone to be able to leave a message. I'm currently with Virgin.

For the phone itself, I have no idea, but the less crap on it the better. First thing I'll do when I get it is probably going to be uninstalling everything it lets me uninstall.

My budget is whatever I should expect to pay for this. By Canadian standards, obviously, so I expect to get ripped off, but I want to get ripped off as little as possible.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
You're probably going to be best served by something like Public Mobile, they have good month to month plans for your use case. As for a phone, honestly like a gen or two old Pixel '_a' is probably your best value, this 6a is a pretty great price right now https://store.google.com/ca/config/pixel_6a

e: I recommend the 6a because it'll last you a good long while performance and security update wise, and you can root them and clear all the crap off pretty easily if you'd like to. I find the Pixel implementations of Android to be the lightest I've seen from the major Android OEM's. But do be aggressive and disable permissions on everything, especially all the Google tracking that you can disable from your Google account security settings.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 14, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Alright, thanks. I'll probably be going with a Pixel for the reasons you mentioned. Still looking at plans and providers. gently caress do I hate having to compare all that garbage that's seemingly made solely to piss me off. Almost makes me wish I lived in a country where there's one state-owned provider with stores that are just concrete boxes with signs that say "Cellphones" on them and there's only one type of plan and three different phone models to choose from.

Also protip for anyone looking for a new cheap plan like me: do not under any circumstances check prices in other countries "out of curiosity". It's even more depressing than I thought.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Freedom mobile is probably the cheapest right now, 1GB for $24, 3GB $29, 10GB $34 for 4G.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fido is 20GB for $39 BYOD.

If freedom's network hasn't entirely ripped out of the ground and been completely replaced by Quebecor, I, personally, would choose to pay the extra bit to not have so many dropped calls and phantom texts that never arrive when sent to a person living in the same house as you.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

For an extra dollar public mobile has 30GB and 5G.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Which one of you narced on me because freedom just emailed me this:

quote:

Hi spoa,

We’re not afraid to admit it: when you were with Freedom, our network wasn’t everything it could be. But we made a commitment to improve it and that’s exactly what we’ve done. And now, we’d love for you to experience it.

If you come back to Freedom, not only will you have a new growing 5G network and Unlimited Freedom Nationwide plans to look forward to, but we’ll also give you an exclusive discount: 30GB for just $35/mo.* (after Digital Discount)†. Plus, we’ll waive your $45 connection fee.

Now isn’t that worth a fresh start?

They say it’s exclusive but anyone who has ever been with freedom before, or really anyone at all should call up and ask for that plan.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've been making GBS threads on them since they were called Wind. Where's my offer :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Connection fee. Be our customer for our regular fees plus a one time gently caress you fee.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Am I correct in concluding that these days if you attempt to finance a phone through a carrier you will get absolutely hosed on a far shittier plan than is available on BYOD?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Generally that's true, but occasionally there are deals when a new phone comes out (last time was the pixel7).

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Now that financing an iPhone from Apple has 7.99% interest carrier plans seem less bad.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Perplx posted:

Now that financing an iPhone from Apple has 7.99% interest carrier plans seem less bad.

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've been on freedom for a few months now and so far they're acceptable. I use Wi-Fi calling at home though as I'm on a marginal area for their network.

I have that $50/50gb nationwide including us roaming and it's ok.

I find their voicemail is super basic though, public's was even better. No long term/vacation message option. They also double billed me the first month and it has painful dealing with them to try to get that figured out.

All in all though, I am satisfied. I'm curious as to how well the US roaming works though.