Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

The one with casualty that would let you insta draw 7? I’m not shocked per se.

you need a 7 power creature in play to sacrifice and Ob Nixilis, Captive Kingpin isn't exactly a slouch in the card advantage department with that level of setup/resources either

e: honestly, while there are a bunch of planeswalkers that would be obnoxious as commanders, I really doubt the format would suffer too heavily at this point if PW generally were allowed to serve the role (it would add several more cards that have instant-win-with-one-additional-card potential from the command zone, but I really doubt Professor Onyx + Chain of Smog is more deleterious to the format than Tivit + Time Sieve or whatever)

LGD fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LGD posted:

you need a 7 power creature in play to sacrifice and Ob Nixilis, Captive Kingpin isn't exactly a slouch in the card advantage department with that level of setup/resources either

e: honestly, while there are a bunch of planeswalkers that would be obnoxious as commanders, I really doubt the format would suffer too heavily at this point if PW generally were allowed to serve the role (it would add several more cards that have instant-win-with-one-additional-card potential from the command zone, but I really doubt Professor Onyx + Chain of Smog is more deleterious to the format than Tivit + Time Sieve or whatever)

Yeah conquest let’s you play any planeswalker as a commander.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Been thinking of making a Ob Nixilis deck. Too bad you can't use his New Capenna planeswalker version as Commander.

The RB one that cares if your opponents take 1 damage is v good.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

^^^yeah

Bobby Nickles from MOM Aftermath fuckin owns and has an infinite with All Will Be One, all you need to do is fill the deck with poo poo like Blood Artist effects, sac outlets (especially Goblin Bombardment and Makeshift Munitions), Impact Tremors, Raid Bombardment, Cavalcade of Calamity, Hellrider and poo poo that makes tokens

The deck basically builds itself, honestly

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Silhouette posted:

^^^yeah

Bobby Nickles from MOM Aftermath fuckin owns and has an infinite with All Will Be One, all you need to do is fill the deck with poo poo like Blood Artist effects, sac outlets (especially Goblin Bombardment and Makeshift Munitions), Impact Tremors, Raid Bombardment, Cavalcade of Calamity, Hellrider and poo poo that makes tokens

The deck basically builds itself, honestly

There’s a regular at my LGS who likes running this deck and we have to kill Ob Nix every single time he comes out or else we know we’re in trouble. Even with hating out the commander he still wins a fair number of games with it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LoTR made the deck (and a lot more decks, honestly) a lot more resilient with the printing of Mithril Coat, because y'know, Darksteel Plate needed flash and auto-equip :v:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just finished putting together this Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck. I tried not to go too crazy, I don't wanna be the archenemy every game and put infinite combos in. The most I have is Savage Ventmaw and Hellkite Charger for X 1-mana combat phases.

https://archidekt.com/decks/5367545/scion_of_the_urdragon

Any suggestions? Maybe things I should take out to be more casual?

Edit: I know the mana base is hot garbage, I just threw whatever lands weren't currently in other decks and filled in the gaps with tap lands

A Moose fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 12, 2023

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

A Moose posted:

Just finished putting together this Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck. I tried not to go too crazy, I don't wanna be the archenemy every game and put infinite combos in. The most I have is Savage Ventmaw and Hellkite Charger for X 1-mana combat phases.

Edit: I know the mana base is hot garbage, I just threw whatever lands weren't currently in other decks and filled in the gaps with tap lands

Shows up as "Page Not Found" for me? Are the permissions set right?

I'm getting to play with my brother again this week. Rambling, boring story ahead: He's more casual than I am, plays a lot of green landfall stuff. Phylath deck, Omnath deck, that kind of thing. The last time we sat down for commander I was running my Azorius Artifacts build and another player was considering who to target for Bribery, and was wondering aloud if his green deck would have a Bane of Progress. He was a little distracted and I answered for him, "He doesn't know." The others thought this was a grave insult but he just slaps together whatever's in his collection and knowing things by name is a bit of a stretch. Ended up pulling a Silverback Elder from his deck anyway.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Shows up as "Page Not Found" for me? Are the permissions set right?

I'm getting to play with my brother again this week. Rambling, boring story ahead: He's more casual than I am, plays a lot of green landfall stuff. Phylath deck, Omnath deck, that kind of thing. The last time we sat down for commander I was running my Azorius Artifacts build and another player was considering who to target for Bribery, and was wondering aloud if his green deck would have a Bane of Progress. He was a little distracted and I answered for him, "He doesn't know." The others thought this was a grave insult but he just slaps together whatever's in his collection and knowing things by name is a bit of a stretch. Ended up pulling a Silverback Elder from his deck anyway.

Oh, didn't realize it defaulted to private. Should be good now

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
hellooooooo :santahurr: are there any people playing commander on cockatrice or something who want to play

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Silhouette posted:

Bobby Nickles

This took longer than I'd like to admit

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

A Moose posted:

the bimodally distributed mana curve suggests you have a great casual deck. you have a graveyard recursion theme with your dragons, which is fine, but i'd probably add some more card draw so you can see more of your cards every game. acknowledging dragon mage is repeatable and very fun, i'd just swap it for windfall or something for example.

i'm also an old player, so i love fires, but generally speaking Rhythm of the Wild is 'strictly better' . i personally would keep in fires, but I know that's an easy 'upgrade'. I also would make sure that all 5 of the invasion dragon lords are in, even if they aren'ta ll that great.

but if you are just looking to have fun, seems like a great start. I'm guessing as you play it, you'll want to take out some of the expensive cmc cards for more draw

last thought, sometimes its hard not to be the 'villain' if you have a powerful commander. i wanted to build a casual Vilis deck, focusing on low cmc lifelinking vampires to pad my life total before casting vilis. However, in every game Vilis is melted the second he hits the board regardless of 'how casual' the deck was. I ended up making it a combo deck, because it was the only way I could actually play Vilis. Your milage may vary, but I'd imagine you'll have some trouble not drawing the tables' ire.

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 13, 2023

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

starbarry clock posted:

hellooooooo :santahurr: are there any people playing commander on cockatrice or something who want to play

Sure, I have a lovely Izzet deck on there but I don't wanna use voice chat

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

johnny park posted:

Sure, I have a lovely Izzet deck on there but I don't wanna use voice chat

post the room and pw and ill join up

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

starbarry clock posted:

I like playing on Xmage since it handles triggers and everything and apparently it's not too difficult to set up a private server if you use Hamachi. Maybe try to get some games in there?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was poking around for something to do with Ramos Dragon Engine since I just kinda like that card and I see a lot of mutate centered decks, is anyone familiar with that theme and how it works?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tarnop posted:

This took longer than I'd like to admit

He's a mob boss now, he needs a made man nickname

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

starbarry clock posted:

post the room and pw and ill join up

Sorry, I forgot I posted that and started playing Aliens Dark Descent

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd be down some other time when the stars align.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
https://scryfall.com/@starbarryclock/decks/c96be433-ff5c-46c7-a715-6afb3ed582eb

this is the list im running made of 85% chaff rares/uncommons/commons and a couple of bigger spells i won at the commander masters and wilds of eldraine prereleases so id say its pretty casual but for some reason it hits hard sometimes too

if anybody has some goose mother lists or card suggestions im all ears eventually i want to upgrade the deck but as it stands im fine playing as is i have some other brews on scryfall there as well if somebody wants more of a challenge but i dont own those cards yet

edit: i read the op more and i guess i should say more about what direction i want the goose mother to take
i want to lean in on tokens and counters to make the most out of the anime goose doubling season i got at the prerelease, so just cards that synergize with food and +1/+1 counters mostly but creature tokens secondarily as well

somebody say a date and time they want to play and 99% chance im game itd be cool to get a multiplayer game going imo

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like playing on Xmage since it handles triggers and everything and apparently it's not too difficult to set up a private server if you use Hamachi. Maybe try to get some games in there?

also this seems cool and if theres a group on there that needs a 4th id download it and try it out but im not super interested in playing with complete randos but somethingawful peeps is fine

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 13, 2023

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
also not to be that guy but shouldnt the op say 21 combat damage

Any player dealt 21 damage by a single Commander is eliminated

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm pretty new to EDH, but why is that rule in place?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

to move the game along mostly.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Back when it was all about the Elder Dragons from the acronym, all of them were 7/7. Getting hit by one 3 times should kill anyone.

In practice it can take down life gain decks where they're sitting at 150+ and otherwise don't have to worry about damage.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It lets you kill someone who makes infinite life without having to have an infinite damage combo in your deck

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Back when it was all about the Elder Dragons from the acronym, all of them were 7/7. Getting hit by one 3 times should kill anyone.

In practice it can take down life gain decks where they're sitting at 150+ and otherwise don't have to worry about damage.

Wow, were these massively overcosted dragons with these 3cmc upkeep costs ever actually played in early commander as real threats, or at the time was it just a good frame of reference for "absurdly strong creature?"

Arcades Sabboth is essentially 11 mana before you can attack with it with a mana dump into +1 defense!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
drat, I didn't consider the life gain decks, and I played against one last weekend!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Khanstant posted:

Wow, were these massively overcosted dragons with these 3cmc upkeep costs ever actually played in early commander as real threats, or at the time was it just a good frame of reference for "absurdly strong creature?"

Arcades Sabboth is essentially 11 mana before you can attack with it with a mana dump into +1 defense!

There's a reason it's called Elder Dragon Highlander.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Khanstant posted:

They're also one of the first cycles of legendary creatures that are actually cool enough to build a commander deck around. When you look at legendary creatures by release date, everything else that came out in Legends is... well, not very exciting. Sure, you could build a deck around a three-mana 1/2 that can spend three mana and tap to draw a creature from your graveyard, but it's not cool enough to make you start a whole format.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

pretty sure that in the very early days the commander wasn't "any legend" it was "these 5 elder dragons"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Looks like a little while back Polygon did a story about the format and talked to the originator: https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/28/21266763/magic-the-gathering-commander-origins-elder-dragon-highlander-alaska-menery aka the person who devised it and showed it to Menery who went on to popularize it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LibrarianCroaker posted:

pretty sure that in the very early days the commander wasn't "any legend" it was "these 5 elder dragons"

https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/28/21266763/magic-the-gathering-commander-origins-elder-dragon-highlander-alaska-menery

e;fb

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Khanstant posted:

bigger numbers = more better than, and 3 color color identity

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well poo poo, now I definitely want a set of decks for all the OG elder dragons. That could also make a fun product.

If I ever win the lotto I'm gonna be drowning in sets of commander deck themed together.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Magnetic North posted:

Looks like a little while back Polygon did a story about the format and talked to the originator: https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/28/21266763/magic-the-gathering-commander-origins-elder-dragon-highlander-alaska-menery aka the person who devised it and showed it to Menery who went on to popularize it.

I wonder what Magic would look like today if this guy was a bigger fan of the other popular formats at the time like Emperor or Beastmaster Highlander.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Khanstant posted:

When Legends came out those were the super chase cards because they were big and flashy and shiny. But, even by the standards of the day they were pretty crap except for Nicol Bolas.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder what Magic would look like today if this guy was a bigger fan of the other popular formats at the time like Emperor or Beastmaster Highlander.

Never heard of Beastmaster Highlander, but I know Emporer suuuuuucks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Emperor was fun for the one time I played it, but I'm not dying to play it again. The one with different role cards that you give out can be fun but I played it at an annoying table and it might be more fun with fun people.

Yet to play monarch in the middle but it seems interesting.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Magnetic North posted:

Never heard of Beastmaster Highlander, but I know Emporer suuuuuucks.

Creature spells and auras only, limit one copy per deck. It was miserable since it's heyday was the time period between Fallen Empires and Ice Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Creature spells and auras only, limit one copy per deck. It was miserable since it's heyday was the time period between Fallen Empires and Ice Age.

I could make a sick enchantress deck even with those restrictions.