  • Post
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Teachers

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Teaching people is quite a common scam yes. You tell them to do it wrong and preserve your income stream.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Haha I was responding to the previous post

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://kfor.com/news/local/apache-police-now-investigating-teen-who-posed-as-physician-assistant-more-alleged-victims/

TLDR: Baby-faced teen tries to recreate "Catch me if you can" by posing as a physician's assistant and sneaking into hospitals. Is caught but finds new ways to commit crimes while on probation.

The car scam he is running is a little clever: 1) buy a car with a loan. 2) pay off loan with ACH debit from an account with no funds. 3) sell car to someone else who verified payoff before the payment bounces. 4) profit.

He was on my radar already because he tried to defraud my company. The article has a brief mention that he showed an account with $2.4 million and that he day trades... that was us! He opened and account, deposited a fake $2.4 million check, did a bunch of trades, then tried to take the money out again before the check bounced.

We stopped him because he's using his real name and just a couple weeks before had tried the same thing with a different subsidiary of ours. But we share info on our cases and as soon as his name came up again the account was locked down.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 18, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Zero One posted:

https://kfor.com/news/local/apache-police-now-investigating-teen-who-posed-as-physician-assistant-more-alleged-victims/

TLDR: Baby-faced teen tries to recreate "Catch me if you can" by posing as a physician's assistant and sneaking into hospitals. Is caught but finds new ways to commit crimes while on probation.

The car scam he is running is a little clever: 1) buy a car with a loan. 2) pay off loan with ACH debit from an account with no funds. 3) sell car to someone else who verified payoff before the payment bounces. 4) profit.

He was on my radar already because he tried to defraud my company. The article has a brief mention that he showed an account with $2.4 million and that he day trades... that was us! He opened and account, deposited a fake $2.4 million check, did a bunch of trades, then tried to take the money out again before the check bounced.

We stoppee him because he's using his real name and just a couple weeks before had tried the same thing with a different subsidiary of ours. But we share info on our cases and as soon as his name came up again the account was locked down.

I have to admit I respect the hustle. Would probably have made the same or better money if he just went into finance and did the legal sort of white collar crime.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He absolutely could have legally made a lot of money with that hustle and moxie

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zero One posted:

He opened and account, deposited a fake $2.4 million check, did a bunch of trades, then tried to take the money out again before the check bounced.
Honestly a bit surprised that you can do that. I would have assumed the funds would be on hold until the check cleared, especially at those amounts.

Checks are stupid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I bet his plan was

1)deposite unbacked check
2)2.4 million from check lands in trading account
3) he day trades earning $$$
4) he withdraws the money including winnings
5) 2.4 million plus winnings land in account
6) bank withdraws original 2.4 million
7) he keeps the winnings, nobody is the wiser

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Collateral Damage posted:

Honestly a bit surprised that you can do that. I would have assumed the funds would be on hold until the check cleared, especially at those amounts.

Checks are stupid.
There is a hold period but it only applies to withdrawals because most trades don't usually need to be made on a "cash up front" basis. You can buy a stock and payment is only due on settlement which is T+2 business days.

Also it was a margin account which added more complexity as he could leverage the check amount plus equities value for more trading.

Ultimately we stopped everything within 1 day of the deposit so he wasn't able to do much.

Tunicate posted:

I bet his plan was

1)deposite unbacked check
2)2.4 million from check lands in trading account
3) he day trades earning $$$
4) he withdraws the money including winnings
5) 2.4 million plus winnings land in account
6) bank withdraws original 2.4 million
7) he keeps the winnings, nobody is the wiser

Nah. He was just trying to get some quick profit from trades before the checks bounced and then wire out as much as he could to other accounts. The problem for him is that we are wise to that and have rules in place to stop withdrawals in those scenarios.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I got an interesting new scam email yesterday.

I have an Atlassian account, and recently started getting emails to confirm my email address. Fair enough, I only have that account on that email address because I used it for Twello before it got acquired. But apparently, this was only the start of something more scammy.

Yesterday, I received an email that said

quote:

Sorry, we couldn't change your email
Hi ✅You have a new bitcoin transfer on your name Bitcoin Address Sender bc1q7*****ccg8v 📌Go to your personal account to withdraw funds script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbzuYmi3vwCgQHPGxxxxxxxvunJsgS5DnfriNI-yv6LKEwFkhC8sqqqqqqOQT12V89pA/exec ✅,
Your email change request could not be processed because xxx@gmail.com is already associated with another Atlassian account.
Log in to view your account. If you've forgotten your password you can reset it here
If you didn't request this change you can disregard this email.
Cheers,
The Atlassians

(I've broken the link and removed my actual email address, obviously)

In case it's not clear, they created an account with that whole scam intro including the link as the display name.
They then changed the email address to my email address, which they knew was active because they apparently tried logging in, triggering those account confirmation emails.
With Atlassian, the owner of an account receives an email whenever another user tries to change their own account to their email address.

So the email is legitimately from Atlassian, and is being sent for its intended purpose, making me aware that someone is trying to set their account to use my email address.

It's just that they've included a scam payload in the displayed name that the email opens with.

They should obviously not allow URLs in these names, and if they have to allow that for some reason, should prevent them from being parsed as URLs in their emails (and probably their web interface too)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Props to the scammers on that one. That's quite clever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scams go in all fields

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've gotten 30 or more emails today of the same pattern:
"From: [Name1]
Subject: It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Manager [Name2] id [Id1]

Hello system user by number [Id2]
Yours registered account will be closed in [HH:MM:SS] hours. Balance of
your invoices [Amount in the 10000s].
Please contact us via return email and we will provide you with help
for withdrawal savings. If you would like to keep your account active,
please contact us in a return email.
Sincerely, the assistant [Name3]"

All cced to a bunch of random Gmail accounts, and all from different Gmail accounts, some of which correspond to the ones cced.

Some of them have some kind of attachment whose thumbnail has the Bitcoin logo, though I haven't opened any of those.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

As much as I hate Google, their GMail staff seems to be on point. More than once I have woken up to see an obvious scam email on my notifications that was not still there 4-6 hours later.

So uh, don’t click the thing friend. :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I know better than to click literally a single thing in an email from someone I don't know.

Also it's two days later and I have gotten 200 of these or so, I want to say the spam filter's batting average is about two thirds.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My old Hotmail account easily lets the most scam spam through, and I dutifully report each one as phishing. I figure that account is old enough to drink, so who knows how many lists it ended up on. The latest wave has almost all been "Re: [email address before @hotmail.com] Payment-Declined-Order#595-6864-FUC" in structure, with the From field spoofed to be a legitimate company but the actual return address just some random email.

My similarly ancient Yahoo account almost never lets anything through, so I'm not sure what Microsoft doing differently. My newer outlook.com accounts also do better spam filtering than my Hotmail account gets, for whatever reason.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know better than to click literally a single thing in an email from someone I don't know.

My dumbass used to fire up a new VM (clone) and poke around. I am not qualified to do cybersecurity even when sober, much less when I closed one eye and rolled the dice.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That was always fun, isolate a little virtual machine and let it run some malware, as a treat. Lots of browser toolbars!

Would absolutely not try that again these days.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah no poo poo.

To be clear for those reading along, there is malware that is specifically constructed to (among other things) jump from your VM into your host machine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Yeah no poo poo.

To be clear for those reading along, there is malware that is specifically constructed to (among other things) jump from your VM into your host machine.

Isn't the whole point of VMs to sandbox that poo poo and not let anything out of the box?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't the whole point of VMs to sandbox that poo poo and not let anything out of the box?

Yeah. Too bad they're still software, and software had bugs!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't the whole point of VMs to sandbox that poo poo and not let anything out of the box?

:ironicat:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah exactly, you’re assuming that you did everything correct when you set up the VM (you didn’t set up two way paste or gently caress up the host->client disk bindings right?)

You’re also assuming that the people who wrote the malware weren’t planning on taking advantage of a zero day on your VM hyper visor or your host OS or some combo of the two.

E: There are at least eleventy billion other ways that I haven’t thought of yet, but malware author has been thinking about for years.

E2: Not trying to pile on, lone badger, just make it very clear that what should be and what is are two very separate things. :)

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 11, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's a guy roaming the Target parking asking people for "cash for gas" in tyool 2023. My resting bitchface keeps me safe, but if approached? should I sing All Star?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Telling an elaborate story as part of your panhandling patter isn't really a con, it's just a stylistic thing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My old Hotmail account easily lets the most scam spam through, and I dutifully report each one as phishing. I figure that account is old enough to drink, so who knows how many lists it ended up on. The latest wave has almost all been "Re: [email address before @hotmail.com] Payment-Declined-Order#595-6864-FUC" in structure, with the From field spoofed to be a legitimate company but the actual return address just some random email.

My similarly ancient Yahoo account almost never lets anything through, so I'm not sure what Microsoft doing differently. My newer outlook.com accounts also do better spam filtering than my Hotmail account gets, for whatever reason.

my hotmail has dozens of obvious spam mails every day as of the last six months

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Is there ever any legitimate reason to deposit a check and then send money out against the money in the check? AFAIK any form of 'deposit this check, which will be too large, and send some money to this person/western union/gift card' is a scam even if they vary some of the details.

A more unusual RL scam that I ran into years ago when I was living in NYC: Well dressed guy says he lost his wallet (or maybe got robbed or forgot it) and needs to get $10 to get a train ticket back home. I go for it, figuring it's likely a scam but also I feel like doing something nice for someone and it's only $10. However, I only have $20s and a few $1s in my wallet, so I tell the guy I'll have to stop at a convenience store to break one. While I'm doing that, he has a friendly 'what do you do? oh that's interesting, I do...' kind of chat. I say that I work in IT, and he says he works in sales for a company that can offer us a mutually beneficial deal. If I convince my company to buy PCs for $X, the company really sells them at $Y and he'll fake the paperwork, then split the $X-Y with me and we'll both make a lot of cash on the side. I realized quickly this was both a crime and betrayal of trust on my part, and that I'd likely be left holding the bag (he'd invoice $X, take whatever the company paid, then never deliver any PCs or something like that) and so wasn't tempted to bite.

I did go ahead and gave him the $10 I agreed to even though I was confident he was a scam artist since it was a unique experience for me. Plus when I told the story to friends there was one who said he would have fallen for the big scam so the whole thing probably kept someone from falling into a trap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Plus when I told the story to friends there was one who said he would have fallen for the big scam so the whole thing probably kept someone from falling into a trap.

Please ask your friend if he’s interested in these really great speakers I have for sale at a bargain price.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please ask your friend if he’s interested in these really great speakers I have for sale at a bargain price.

Don't forget about this USDA Grade A beef for sale out of the trunk of my car!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Is there ever any legitimate reason to deposit a check and then send money out against the money in the check? AFAIK any form of 'deposit this check, which will be too large, and send some money to this person/western union/gift card' is a scam even if they vary some of the details.
No, it's 100% a scam. The check will bounce and you've just sent a bunch of your own money to the scammer.

So many scams in the US would be kneecapped if the country would just step into the 21st century, unfuck its bank systems and abolish checks.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

A more unusual RL scam...
I ran into a younger guy who did the "lost my wallet, need money to get home" panhandle and gave him what little cash I happened to have on me. A week later I saw him again in the same place doing the same thing. I knew he was bullshitting the first time, but everyone deserves to eat.

A more annoying kind of begging that's cropped up recently is people outside grocery stores begging you to buy them food, and if you agree they'll follow you into the store and try to put more stuff into your basket for themselves.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there’s a guy who hangs out on various MBTA platforms asking for a dollar for his birthday in a weirdly lilting sing-song falsetto. I wish I knew when his actual birthday was so I could give him like $50 on that day and just be paid up for the year

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please ask your friend if he’s interested in these really great speakers I have for sale at a bargain price.

Unless I'm conflating two people (this was all back in the 90s so memory is a little fuzzy), he ran into the speaker scam at one point and probably would have fallen for it except that he already had speakers he really liked.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there’s a guy who hangs out on various MBTA platforms asking for a dollar for his birthday in a weirdly lilting sing-song falsetto. I wish I knew when his actual birthday was so I could give him like $50 on that day and just be paid up for the year

Is this fix-a-flat guy?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Gynovore posted:

Is this fix-a-flat guy?
Fix-a-flat beggar got me so good during a visit to Chicago it may have permanently reduced my charity.

I wasn't used to big city tactics being simple small town stock.

I even overdrafted.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Speaker scam is a great one, because loads of people (myself absolutely included) know gently caress all about speakers, so if they sell them a mediocre pair at a price between mediocre and good, and tell them they're good then people will be non the wiser and still be convinced they got a great deal.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Red Oktober posted:

Speaker scam is a great one, because loads of people (myself absolutely included) know gently caress all about speakers, so if they sell them a mediocre pair at a price between mediocre and good, and tell them they're good then people will be non the wiser and still be convinced they got a great deal.

That, and the illicit thrill of buying something that may or may not be "hot." You just know you're getting a good deal.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The white van speakers aren’t mediocre they’re literal trash. Like barely capable of reproducing sound at all. They’re probably worse than the speakers built into your TV.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bird with big dick posted:

The white van speakers aren’t mediocre they’re literal trash. Like barely capable of reproducing sound at all. They’re probably worse than the speakers built into your TV.

They're selling whatever they stole. Quality varies.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MightyJoe36 posted:

That, and the illicit thrill of buying something that may or may not be "hot." You just know you're getting a good deal.

Brushwood talks about this in World's Greatest Scam or Con or whatever his non-Modern Rogue show is, cus he fell for that scam when he was young, and part of it is definitely the idea that you're getting one over on someone.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They're selling whatever they stole. Quality varies.

No, the white van speaker scam is not selling speakers they stole, lying about that is part of the scam. They’re not stolen or leftover from an install or found on the side of the road, they’re $20 Chinese garbage that they say retails for $3000 but they’ll sell them to you today for $200.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4