Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Counter-question: who are some notable “guest announcers” or “non-commentary person on commentary” you’d like to see/hear more often? Like Daddy Magic is pretty good on commentary! Dude could easily slot into that when he wraps up in-ring. Same for Eddie Kingston.

Chuck Taylor's decent the few times I've heard him do it. I think Paul Wight and Mark Henry would improve with time but that opportunity seems to have passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Based on the financials that came out during WCW's racial discrimination lawsuit, WCW didn't pay the No Limit Soldiers nearly as much as people thought, though not for lack of trying.

Randy Thornton (aka Swoll) was signed in June 1999 for $350,000 with a $50,000 signing bonus. However, Swoll (and Master P) were released from their contracts in September 1999, meaning that he was only paid $30,890 (plus, I assume, the signing bonus?) So he was effectively signed to a $400,000 deal, though WCW got out of paying most of it.

Master P was signed to presumably an even more insane contract but was also released in September, meaning he was paid 'only' $293,000. It's entirely possible that Master P got a signing bonus, got money for use of his songs on the shows, etc.

Of the other No Limit Soldiers:

Chase Tatum was already in the Power Plant and doing job stuff in 1998 (netting $5,600) and got $24,590 in 1999.
Teddy "4x4" Reade did somehow make a total of $64,406 in 1999-2000, though he did stick around as Harlem Heat 2000's bodyguard for a bit and stayed employed for quite a bit longer, though he wrestled exactly one in a battle royal after the NLS gimmick ended.

The return of investment on any of these contracts was very low, but the amount of money being given to the No Limit Soldiers ultimately wasn't nearly as much as people throw around.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Based on the financials that came out during WCW's racial discrimination lawsuit, WCW didn't pay the No Limit Soldiers nearly as much as people thought, though not for lack of trying.

Randy Thornton (aka Swoll) was signed in June 1999 for $350,000 with a $50,000 signing bonus. However, Swoll (and Master P) were released from their contracts in September 1999, meaning that he was only paid $30,890 (plus, I assume, the signing bonus?) So he was effectively signed to a $400,000 deal, though WCW got out of paying most of it.

The return of investment on any of these contracts was very low, but the amount of money being given to the No Limit Soldiers ultimately wasn't nearly as much as people throw around.

If we consider that Norman Smiley was paid 100k for 69[nice] events in 1999, or roughly 1500 per shot, Swoll earned 30k for 6 shots in wcw, or almost 5000 per event.

I would say either swoll was vastly over valued or norman smiley vastly under valued.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Master P had one of the most insane years in hip hop business history in 1998, dude was a monster. WCW might have gotten off easy compared to everyone else dealing with him in the late 90s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sega 32X posted:

Master P had one of the most insane years in hip hop business history in 1998, dude was a monster. WCW might have gotten off easy compared to everyone else dealing with him in the late 90s.

And I don't blame Bischoff at all for going for it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Alaois posted:

"Kevin Kelly's commentary is good in New Japan" is either actual, unironic gaslighting or people's standards are so loving low for what contitutes good English language commentary on Japanese wrestling shows that he somehow clears that bar.
It's this, tbh

NOAH is OK sometimes, New Japan is only marginally better without KK, and I love DG's commentary team but they're both pretty awkward public speakers, and Gaora doesn't care about the English stream enough to get them decent quality sound equipment. Stardom's is pretty decent when they actually have it, IIRC.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The New Japan English commentary was in a similar place as AEW’s Dark commentary - nobody in a position of power is really checking your work, so just show up and don’t poo poo the bed. Kelly was okay the times I listened, but felt like he was only waking up enough to give a “DESTIIIINOOOO” or hit the other high spots he knows. Charlton has done well to become polished, but yeah. Won’t be worse with Kelly gone.

And apparently from the online scuttlebutt it’s not even that Kevin Kelly is conservative but fallen all the way down the Q rabbit hole, which is pretty loving abysmal. He’s been bad on Collision, especially in comparison to Dynamite (which, yes, has had time to gel, but still).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He looks like a conservative politician that will eventually be arrested for sex crimes.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

CombineThresher posted:

Kingston showing up on Dark and arguing with Taz about New York stuff for the whole match was amazing.

Do you remember which episode of Dark that was? I need some Kingston/ Taz bantering in my life.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

nexas posted:

Do you remember which episode of Dark that was? I need some Kingston/ Taz bantering in my life.

Can't check now, but possibly this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5no3DpHA_4

(based on this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3973329&pagenumber=104&perpage=40&highlight=taz,eddie#post518613675)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 12, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Checked it now, not the one I thought about, but there's great Eddie+Taz commentary during Lance Archer's match (timestamp 20:00)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There was a bit of time on dark where eddie was commentating and lulu pencil came out and eddie was her biggest fan and marking out for her. Proving that eddie is truly our mad king.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

There was a bit of time on dark where eddie was commentating and lulu pencil came out and eddie was her biggest fan and marking out for her. Proving that eddie is truly our mad king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_qKuR5EHQ

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Kennel posted:

Checked it now, not the one I thought about, but there's great Eddie+Taz commentary during Lance Archer's match (timestamp 20:00)

God drat, do I now want a whole episode of Dynamite that's just Eddie/ Taz/ Excalibur yucking it up.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Bonk posted:

It's this, tbh

NOAH is OK sometimes, New Japan is only marginally better without KK, and I love DG's commentary team but they're both pretty awkward public speakers, and Gaora doesn't care about the English stream enough to get them decent quality sound equipment. Stardom's is pretty decent when they actually have it, IIRC.

I personally love the TJPW /GanPro commentary team of Chris Brookes and whoever was available out of Akki/Drew/Ash/Haku, has a very conversational tone while still invested in the wrestlers and telling their stories.

Kevin was always middle of the road for me, not at the level of Charlton or Brookes or Mark Pickering but far better than Fulton, G-Man or the DDT English team.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Chris Brookes And The Gang are great, but they're great in the "listen to some folks who know the product podcast around it in a chill way and make jokes while taking the serious moments seriously" way, not really ones I can rate as, like, Wrestling Commentators. It's a different vibe.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Chris Brookes And The Gang are great, but they're great in the "listen to some folks who know the product podcast around it in a chill way and make jokes while taking the serious moments seriously" way, not really ones I can rate as, like, Wrestling Commentators. It's a different vibe.

thats like every good commentator

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I only really caught KK's commentary from Wrestlekingdom shows I've been watching for the past few years. Thought it would be a good get for Collision. He was okay the first shows, but then when Ian R took over it was such an improvement that I didn't want to go away..

Now that KK is back it really sucks.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
KK has been pretty good at explaining Japanese stuff, when I know almost nothing beforehand.

Less so with AEW where I know the product better than him.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kevin Kelly versus the Spanish language is a bad feud.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

harperdc posted:

Kevin Kelly versus the Spanish language is a bad feud.

What, you're not a fan of Andre L. Elodio?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s Andre Idiolo, dumbass

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Andrade thing actually made me realise some people really don't internalise pronunciation rules, they just rote memorise specific names/words. Cuz like, Andrade el Idolo isn't difficult if you actually read the words and know a tiny amount about how Spanish is pronounced. Same with Konosuke Takeshita and Japanese.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Gaz-L posted:

The Andrade thing actually made me realise some people really don't internalise pronunciation rules, they just rote memorise specific names/words. Cuz like, Andrade el Idolo isn't difficult if you actually read the words and know a tiny amount about how Spanish is pronounced. Same with Konosuke Takeshita and Japanese.

You're acting like most Americans care about anything besides word/presumed meaning for anything beyond English (and hell, even for it (feature, not bug, I guess?)).

Most are just weird looking words that we jam English constructions (lol pick one of many sounds every time) into.

KK got no excuse though unless he just did a variation of that weird thing where I'll randomly add a dipthong after an a or o and I have no idea why (broken brain I guess)

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 13, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Taxman posted:

KK got no excuse though unless he just did a variation of that weird thing where I'll randomly add a dipthong after an a or o and I have no idea why (broken brain I guess)

I feel that if your job is wrestling commentator for a company you should be watching the product and just know the pronunciation.

Unless your job is commentating for the WWF in the mid to late 90's, in which case just go with gut feeling when The Great Sasuke comes out.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel that if your job is wrestling commentator for a company you should be watching the product and just know the pronunciation.

Unless your job is commentating for the WWF in the mid to late 90's, in which case just go with gut feeling when The Great Sasuke comes out.

I 100% agree and KK is not good, just referencing a similar pronunciation glitch that one particular one could have been

E: the only announcer I trust outside of Japan on pronunciation is Excalibur and maybe Veda Scott (though I haven't seen enough of their work to state that solidly)

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 13, 2023

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Gaz-L posted:

The one that consistently raises my ire is "Kah-zoo-CHEEK-a Okada". Just... just listen to how literally anyone else says it in Japanese.

It was also a total commentary shitshow when Kzy did a US indies tour. His debut name was MC K.Z. You can ask him what his name is. You can ask other people what his name is. It's not hard to extrapolate that it's "Kay-Zee", and not "K-Z-Y" or "Kizzy". Jordan from Prestige called him "K-G" for some reason, which I guess is technically closer to how you'd pronounce it in Japanese because their sound for "z" comes from "ji/shi", but still, all you have to do is LISTEN. Veda Scott was on comms with him and was pronouncing it correctly, and he would still say it wrong. Prestige even has a ring announcer who's fluent in Japanese. JUST ASK SOMEBODY.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bonk posted:

The one that consistently raises my ire is "Kah-zoo-CHEEK-a Okada". Just... just listen to how literally anyone else says it in Japanese.

It was also a total commentary shitshow when Kzy did a US indies tour. His debut name was MC K.Z. You can ask him what his name is. You can ask other people what his name is. It's not hard to extrapolate that it's "Kay-Zee", and not "K-Z-Y" or "Kizzy". Jordan from Prestige called him "K-G" for some reason, which I guess is technically closer to how you'd pronounce it in Japanese because their sound for "z" comes from "ji/shi", but still, all you have to do is LISTEN. Veda Scott was on comms with him and was pronouncing it correctly, and he would still say it wrong. Prestige even has a ring announcer who's fluent in Japanese. JUST ASK SOMEBODY.

when i met okada at an roh show a few years ago i asked should i pronounce it kazuchika or kazuchika and he told me its skipper

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I once met a (white) goth kid who called himself Akuma. Uh-KOO-muh. I pronounced it correctly and he just said "What?"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
When I was in college I had a Shakespeare professor whose last name was Jimenez and he would get super mad at people who pronounced it "correctly", because his family has always pronounced is Jim Ah Nezz. I also had teachers/TAs in high school who were named Quinones ("Kwee Nowns") and Dubois ("Duh Boise").

The professor was annoying (for a million reasons) not least of which was yelling at students on the first day for assuming he pronounced his name in the way most people with his surname do. The other two were fine because they never got mad about it, even if i thought it was silly as a teenager.

The main point is that in all cases (and in all wrestling cases) you can just ask the person how to say their name and then say it that way.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
BIG-BOO-TAY! TAY! TAY!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I once met a (white) goth kid who called himself Akuma. Uh-KOO-muh. I pronounced it correctly and he just said "What?"

I thought that was the way it was pronounced too, so I just googled it and TWO YouTube videos told me it’s uh-koo-muh. Someone here is lying to me.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

I thought that was the way it was pronounced too, so I just googled it and TWO YouTube videos told me it’s uh-koo-muh. Someone here is lying to me.

I think the stress is more on the first syllable

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yeah, it's AH-koo-mah

Edge & Christian posted:

When I was in college I had a Shakespeare professor whose last name was Jimenez and he would get super mad at people who pronounced it "correctly", because his family has always pronounced is Jim Ah Nezz. I also had teachers/TAs in high school who were named Quinones ("Kwee Nowns") and Dubois ("Duh Boise").
I went to high school with a guy named Johann (yo-hahn) and most teachers taking attendance would ask if "Joanne" was here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sandman McMahon posted:

I learned from Chikara. :unsmith:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My partner's best friend's name is Giancarlo, which absolutely everyone shortens to "jee-un" because at some point in school he got sick of every teacher not knowing how to pronounce it and made it something "easier". I learned of him shortly after moving from Italy and it only confused me. In his adult life it doesn't make things easier as he ended up with a name tag that said Gene at his old job and didn't care enough to correct anyone until he quit.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

when lacking format education, americans do this because our language doesn't have consistent rules so we assume it of other languages as well

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My partner's best friend's name is Giancarlo, which absolutely everyone shortens to "jee-un" because at some point in school he got sick of every teacher not knowing how to pronounce it and made it something "easier". I learned of him shortly after moving from Italy and it only confused me. In his adult life it doesn't make things easier as he ended up with a name tag that said Gene at his old job and didn't care enough to correct anyone until he quit.

Giancarlo isn't even a hard name to pronounce, & I say that as a cretinous Brit whose grasp of foreign languages in about on-par with my average countryman, which is to say non-existent.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

there are two universal experiences for people named Giancarlo:

1.) that

2.) people thinking their name is John Carlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Bonk posted:

It's this, tbh

The best English language commentator in Japan is Chris Brookes.