Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Here's a tip for the next gold rush/any sourcing CG that's really popular. Everyone uses Inara and the plugin that updates it, so a couple to four days into the CG look for systems with whatever commodity you're looking in a high supply that hasn't been updated in a week to a month.

Everyone will assume since it is out of date it's no good and no one wants to waste time. Usually you can find a primo source that's never in danger of depleting because no one else has bothered to look in non updated systems!

E: This requires not using the market updating plugin of course, or you'll rat your source out yourself.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
tbqh the easier way to do a gold rush CG is either:

1. If you have a carrier or can borrow one, just use inara like normal, park at a source that's recently updated, high supply, ~400 LY away from the CG system and 100,000Ls+ away from the drop

or

2. If you don't have a carrier or can't co-opt a gold rush buddy that has one, source from the carriers in-system, because you'll get less profit per trip but be able to make trips way, way faster than you would making "full profits" on single-ship loads that you need to re-source from multiple systems away

I've done #1 for every gold rush CG and there's never any risk of whatever source I find tapping out because everyone default sorts to "closest", but carriers can jump 500LY and this dead game will not ever have every single high-supply source of anything involved in a trade-based gold rush CG within 500LY getting fully tapped out.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Wish I had known there was a gold rush!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The most recent one was insane. I made five billion credits in a single day and within two I was able to buy a carrier and park enough funds in it for two years of upkeep lol

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

drat. How do y’all hear about gold rushes generally? I tend to take long breaks but the upkeep fund on my carrier is starting to look a little thin so I need to keep an eye out for stuff like that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
"Hanging out in social places that happen to have at least some active players", usually

Every time one comes around I usually think "I should really keep an eye peeled for those" and proceed to remember to check Inara's Current CG list for like, a week or two max before forgetting to bother

Shipping CGs that involve "buying the thing" instead of hauling/mining it aren't super infrequent, and all of them in theory tend to have the same massive % boost to the value of the thing they're asking for, but it's not really a true Gold Rush if the base value of the item isn't in the ~50k range, which usually really means the only Really Good Gold Rushes are if someone's stocking up a new station or megaship with Tritium and those seem to have been sparse with a post-odyssey player count and a post-thargoid-invasion storyline

and the last CG was quite literally "hauling gold for a monarch's commemorative giant gold statue" or some poo poo

which I guess is probably on the nose with the satire if nothing else

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I found out about it through a combination of Reddit and a few Elite discord servers

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I'm on a bunch of Elite discords, I'm just bad at paying attention to any of them lol, oh well maybe next time

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

and the last CG was quite literally "hauling gold for a monarch's commemorative giant gold statue" or some poo poo

which I guess is probably on the nose with the satire if nothing else

The Imperial Mother is about to croak, so one of the lesser royals (a cousin or something) is bootlicking and called for gold to build huge statues in the likeness of her and other royals.

This combined with the election for fed president next year makes it seem like they might shake up some powers. Maybe? Who knows, it's interesting none the less.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 14, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There's even a big update now earmarked for early next year. They said their revamping a longstanding system. No one's sure if it's engineers, or PowerPlay since the Thargoids may be a test ground for BGS stuff, but in typical Frontier fashion the communication is not so good.

Ah but see — if the communication was good then you'd be expecting them to follow through with it

The communication being terrible means they don't have to live up to promises they made in the face of the most horrific pile of steaming codebase ever seen in the history of mankind

There is little impetus to fix it because they live on single purchases of the new game, and the game being good in the mid/end game doesn't fall into that. They only need the game to look exciting and fresh in the early stage and apparently the thargoids content is Kind Of Doing That, Badly. Same as it ever was.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
edit: Never mind, figured it out after all.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 14, 2023

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Re. gold rushes - if anyone is in need of cash and doesn't want to wait for the next big thing, there are plenty of insanely rich Frogs and the recent changes to player carrier trading means it's very easy to move funds around. Once you have a fleet of ships and a carrier money becomes kinda meaningless so don't hesitate to ask if you want a nest egg, it doesn't really change anything for us.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

it's funny you mention that because this cowboy-bebop-rear end space truck thing is coming out next year at some point and I'm real curious how it ends up playing

... special bell peppers and beef again :clint:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just found an incredible new open world simulator by Frontier. It's called Disneyland Adventures,

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Inspector Hound posted:

I just found an incredible new open world simulator by Frontier. It's called Disneyland Adventures,

Played that with my kid for a bit. Pretty decent "Disneyland" simulator to be honest. I mean, good enough for a kid

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

so i finally decided to play some ody this week (i got it the day it came out)

if i wanna go murder and steal with impunity on the ground, im guessing anarchy is the way to go, but does that have to be the overall system alignment or will the faction of the place suffice

or like, i guess, whats the best way to go steal and murder with impunity if not that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Worf posted:

so i finally decided to play some ody this week (i got it the day it came out)

if i wanna go murder and steal with impunity on the ground, im guessing anarchy is the way to go, but does that have to be the overall system alignment or will the faction of the place suffice

or like, i guess, whats the best way to go steal and murder with impunity if not that

The faction of the outpost's owner is the important one, but the nature of how all of it meshes means all of the stealing-with-impunity will tank the influence of the faction you're stealing from until they don't own the place anymore and suddenly someone with laws and poo poo owns it, and it compounds in being poo poo because only anarchies sell the black market hacking tool stuff-- so the more places you kick the anarchies out of, the harder it is to actually find somewhere to buy those

there's some bubble of "all anarchies all the time" that's isolated enough from the greater Background Sim where just about every faction is an anarchy and this sort of unintentional shitfuckery doesn't actively negatively impact you as you're doing it, so it's handy to go stealing from last I checked

e: also
- Every non-player-owned anarchy got roundly drubbed by the effect of all of the above to the point they don't own anything anyways and of course nobody's actively helping them regain influence
- Every player-owned anarchy is extremely aware of the above mechanics and actively go out of their way to shed ground installations

so finding actual anarchies to hit in the more-trafficked areas of the bubble is more difficult than it sounds on the tin

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 14, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Found it, Fullerene C60, along with a reminder/repressed memory of the how thrilling the original odyssey opinion poll farming loop was

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RV45VmnUPs

e: I'd say "you can tell it's still a popular spot because there's nearly three dozen carriers in system" but I have no idea if they're active or just leftover perpetually funded space hulks from the early-odyssey engineering farming days

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 15, 2023

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Tommy the Newt posted:

Re. gold rushes - if anyone is in need of cash and doesn't want to wait for the next big thing, there are plenty of insanely rich Frogs and the recent changes to player carrier trading means it's very easy to move funds around. Once you have a fleet of ships and a carrier money becomes kinda meaningless so don't hesitate to ask if you want a nest egg, it doesn't really change anything for us.

How much effort would it be to move ~6 bil from one character to another? My carrier is on a second account because reasons but if it wasn't too much of a pain for someone else with a carrier, I might be interested in selling it and then buying one on my main instead. You get almost all the purchase price back if you sell it right?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eyud posted:

How much effort would it be to move ~6 bil from one character to another? My carrier is on a second account because reasons but if it wasn't too much of a pain for someone else with a carrier, I might be interested in selling it and then buying one on my main instead. You get almost all the purchase price back if you sell it right?

There's the usual Frontier Style Caveats, much like ships it's recommended to explicitly sell off the optional services first, you'll take a couple million of a decomissioning ding and depending on your timing, your carrier and money could be locked up in an unusable state for up to a week

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

It's very easy to move 6bil via a carrier, you just buy low/sell high a single cargo load through the carrier market (helps if the cargo has a high galactic average to start with, markups are factored on this start price). The problem in your case is if the funds you want to move are locked up in the carrier itself, in which case you need someone else's carrier as a go between. If you want you can jump on the Frogs discord and someone will probably be able to help you out, I'll do it if our timezones match up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

they should offer a wood panel livery

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Found it, Fullerene C60, along with a reminder/repressed memory of the how thrilling the original odyssey opinion poll farming loop was

Haha, that's the one. I remember that Arsenault's View installation, which I murdered a fair few times for Opinion Polls...

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

There's the usual Frontier Style Caveats, much like ships it's recommended to explicitly sell off the optional services first, you'll take a couple million of a decomissioning ding and depending on your timing, your carrier and money could be locked up in an unusable state for up to a week

Tommy the Newt posted:

It's very easy to move 6bil via a carrier, you just buy low/sell high a single cargo load through the carrier market (helps if the cargo has a high galactic average to start with, markups are factored on this start price). The problem in your case is if the funds you want to move are locked up in the carrier itself, in which case you need someone else's carrier as a go between. If you want you can jump on the Frogs discord and someone will probably be able to help you out, I'll do it if our timezones match up.

Cool thanks for the info. I still need to reinstall Elite since I just did a system upgrade but once I do that I may hit you up.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

it's funny you mention that because this cowboy-bebop-rear end space truck thing is coming out next year at some point and I'm real curious how it ends up playing

Neat

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1702983417191649658?t=JRBz_JyCuse2IWD8a7zh-g&s=19

October 16th, Update 17

As an aside, seeing Zalgo text anywhere always does my heart good

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Buddy,

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

fullerene c60 is a hell hole

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

breadshaped posted:

I just recently got Odyssey and I'm a bit stumped for what news things there are to do. I tried a stealth mission but after an hour of getting there and sneaking around some guard caught me and all that time was wasted. Are there better things to find/do on foot?

It's now a week and a half later so you may have already figured all this out, but just in case anyone's wondering what you can do in Odyssey...

Generally speaking there are 3 things to do (and 3 corresponding suits).

For combat, the main thing is to find systems that are engaged in war and then do planetary conflict zones.

You can do them 2 different ways:

1. Go to a starport or any place in the system that has a Frontline Logistics, go to the FL counter and pick a planet in conflict and then join one of the sides.
They'll even take you directly there and back in a shuttle for free, which is neat. You'll be airdropped in from a vulture along with the rest of the grunts.

2. Go directly to the settlement in conflict and start shooting at somebody, either on foot or in your ship (there are always people shooting at each other on the ground while ships battle it out above the area).
You'll be placed on the opposing side, and the battle proceeds like it would otherwise if you'd joined a side at Frontline Logistics.

It's a low-risk game mode because once you've joined a side, there's no death penalty. You respawn in a vulture and get dropped in again (and can swap loadouts if you wish).
It a domination style mode, so you cap points and kill enemies until they run out of resources.

If you do a High Intensity zone, the payout can end up being in the millions due to all the combat bonds you'll get (which are automatic, you don't have to scan any bodies) and there's a base payout of 300k per mission.

It's a fun way to play around with ground combat and get better at the mechanics, and it gives you a reason to work towards better weapons and suits.

Other than combat, there's salvaging of crash sites, wreckage and other surface POIs/signals. Use the maverick suit's cutter tool to pop open the red maintenance hatches in order to loot materials. Really the best way to farm mats is to go to a system with settlements that belong to Anarchy factions (Arai's Mine in Iah Bulu is the go-to example), and then you can shoot your way in without getting a bounty and cut open every locker you see to steal everything. You don't really need to do this unless you want to work on upgrading on-foot suits and weapons, but it can be fun as a diversion.

The last main thing is exobiology, where you look for planets with bio signals on them (check the planet's details on the system map), scan them with the Detailed Surface Scanner and then take genetic samples of the plants and bacteria you find. It's REALLY profitable and has a low barrier of entry, you just need a DSS and an Artemis suit, but I also recommend taking an SRV as well, it's fun to drive around as you look for the next sample to scan. The DBX is a great ship for this since it can pack a vehicle bay but is small enough that it's easy to land almost anywhere.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 20, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Make sure you check the range on ground combat zones because I just had a half-hour round trip on the dropship. Maybe I'll try the Xenobiology instead.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Xenobiology can be very profitable, especially out in the black where there's tons of undiscovered scans.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

Xenobiology can be very profitable, especially out in the black where there's tons of undiscovered scans.

Yeah, when this poo poo was introduced I went out and took half a dozen samples, then stopped playing for a while. Then Frontier gave Xenobiology a gigantic boost and when I went back to cash in my six samples to see what happens, I got like a bazillion space dollars for it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dev stream happening now! New paint jobs for a few ships, some hinting about hidden stuff in the trailer.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 21, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Dev stream happening now! New paint jobs for a few ships, some hinting about hidden stuff in the trailer.

Yeah, but is that hidden stuff related to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_fLwRMDkQ, or is there something for deep space explorers like myself?

I mean, if there's actually something interesting going on with Thargoids, I have my old second account for stuff happening in the bubble, but still, as long as the secret is just something along the lines of: (Top Secret): Aliens Doing Evil poo poo Again, I'm not really interested. If I want to shoot someone, I could just go back to play EVE Online and do some Solo PVP again.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Honestly it's hilarious they havent brought out a Thargoid Buster warship or some poo poo like that

Like, if humans colonised the galaxy and aliens invaded our space you can BET companies would jump right on that to milk it for all its worth.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They did, it was called the Type-10 Defender and it worked out great

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

alexandriao posted:

Honestly it's hilarious they havent brought out a Thargoid Buster warship or some poo poo like that

Like, if humans colonised the galaxy and aliens invaded our space you can BET companies would jump right on that to milk it for all its worth.

Hell, I could imagine stuff like "Are your sure the galaxy is safe? Better go and take a look, just in case! Our new Explorer 3000 is now available on the market!"

But of course :frontear: doesn't roll like that, it's selling ship skins for real money where's at! :v:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

Hell, I could imagine stuff like "Are your sure the galaxy is safe? Better go and take a look, just in case! Our new Explorer 3000 is now available on the market!"

But of course :frontear: doesn't roll like that, it's selling ship skins for real money where's at! :v:

New ships would mean more opportunities to sell skins to people who already have all the skins they want for the ships they already own.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

smug jeebus posted:

They did, it was called the Type-10 Defender and it worked out great

Lol. This. Also less hilariously the Alliance Chieftain and derivatives were introduced as being a response to the thargoids.

https://news.galnet.fr/lakon-releases-alliance-chieftain/

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

New ships would mean more opportunities to sell skins to people who already have all the skins they want for the ships they already own.

True. I guess Frontier just doesn't want our money. :haw: